PDA

View Full Version : [SGI News] Destroit Raises $59K for Robocop Statue

SGI
02-16-2011, 07:55 PM
"Residents of Detroit have raised enough money to build a statue honoring the city's fictional hero RoboCop.

The people of Motor City rallied around the cause and found $US50,000 from private funding when Mayor Dave Bing nixed the idea.

Bing had asked citizens online for ideas on how to revitalise the city but shot down a suggestion that a statue of RoboCop, the titular hero of the 1987 sci-fi satire set in Detroit, would do the job.

"There are not any plans to erect a statue to RoboCop," he tweeted on February 7. "Thank you for your suggestion."

Bing's rejection sent RoboCop fans into a Twitter frenzy. "RoboCop would never turn his back on Detroit," one user tweeted at the mayor. "So why turn your back on RoboCop?"

Detroit resident John Leonard started a Facebook group called "Build a statue of RoboCop in Detroit", which led to a fund being started on the "crowd-raising" website Kickstarter.com.

Imagination Station, a Detroit nonprofit organisation that cleans up run-down areas of the city, has pledged a spot for the statue in a park it owns if the funds are raised.

As of today, $US51,359 had been raised for the project - the initial goal was $US50,000.

"We're currently discussing how to branch this project and fundraising into bigger and bigger things with a better and better impact on Detroit," the project's homepage creator Brandon Walley wrote.

He said no one in the group had ever made a "giant solid metal permanent sculpture before", but have struck a deal with ironworks company Casey V. Westbrook to take a small figure of RoboCop, have it 3D scanned by lasers and scale its up to a 240cm tall statue."

Would You Like To Know More? (http://www.news.com.au/technology/weve-got-the-cash-now-lets-build-a-robocop-statue/story-e6frfro0-1226007343908)

Somewhere, out there.... an angel has been given its wings.

Anoleis
02-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Out of all the problems in Detroit, the citizens get their panties in a bunch because they couldn't have a statue of Robocop? Why does Detroit's current state not surprise me anymore?

Skilero
02-16-2011, 09:01 PM
For $59,000, it's the most cost-effective method Detroit had for solving their crime problem. Good to see the community putting their minds together to solve problems.

TadashiED
02-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Detroit...right across from where I live.
But all for a Robocop statue? Am I missing something here? Couldn't they use the money for "better" things rather then a statue? I don't understand why they would get into such a fuss...

Aleyna
02-16-2011, 09:14 PM
"There are not any plans to erect a statue to RoboCop," he tweeted on February 7. "Thank you for your suggestion."

That made me laugh.

Token Black Guy
02-16-2011, 09:48 PM
I don't remember hearing about no bullcrap like this in the news. Where the hell did this story come from? Why does this sound like some weird joke?

animeyay
02-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Surely Detroit has better use for that money...
It's not like a Robocop statue can actually work like a real cop and curb some crimes...