PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good thread?

.Sev
02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
What, in your opinion, constitutes an actually good thread?
I've noticed a trend on this forum, of threads that have no purpose. Like threads that seem to be of the effect where you go in to the thread, and it asks you a question like, for example a thread I made once, "Can You Whistle?"
You go into the thread, answer the question, and probably never look at it again. It doesn't really have anything to discuss, and is rather pointless overall.
It seems like there are a lot of threads that do that for me. I reply in it, and don't really check it again, because it's usually something where I honestly don't care about what others posts in it.

Things that seem to keep me checking a thread again are things like

It's funny (Whether the thread was purposely made to be, or one post by a mischievious af member sent the thread skyrocketing into a new direction, I almost always watch funny threads.)
It has a good discussion/Interesting points/Interesting topic (A lot of times I don't get a chance to post in the really good discussion threads because I usually check af and find them when they are several pages long, and I hate jumping into things like that, I don't have a personal opinion on the subject, or I tl;dr most of it)

Meteorkeeper
02-10-2011, 04:45 PM
What in my opinion constitutes a good thread...well first I need to actually have an opinion or an answer to the main question in the thread if no one can relate to it then no one will reply.
I also need to be genuinely interested in what other people will have to say on the topic, this is in my opinion what most threads lack.
That about covers it.

Kusuke
02-10-2011, 05:27 PM
I think there are different types of threads, but let us first assume that a Good Thread would meet, first and foremost, the correct topic of the Board it is in. Example, a thread about Bleach in the Supernatural Anime & Manga -> Bleach SubForum would be seen from the OUTSIDE as a Good Thread and a thread about Chickens Stabbing People in the Literature Forum would be seen as a Bad Thread.

Now, substantially, I think a good thread is well thought out, but of course if the intention was humor, a very humorous one (but from before must be relevant) would be fine as well. For example, talking about an anime character in the General Anime & Manga Forum (Or correct anime Forum/SubForum) in terms of development or future or even to show how pathetic a character is (Probably bound to be funny) would be seen as a Good Thread. On the other hand, a thread bashing the people who like a particular anime in it's correct forum would probably be seen as a Bad Thread since it is not related to the anime, but to the people who watch it only. This is very hard to see when it comes to the Miscellaneous Miscellany forum. There are a lot of unsubstantial threads in there, and that is a relative term...

I also think that it must be socially relevant. It must be related to the majority of the people that we would consider active members. If it is not socially relevant, it will not be responded to (and if it is, it probably won't be to develop the thread, but to troll it or eventually change it.). This one is hard to put a solid example on, but since most people on here have similar interests it is not a problem but merely an underlying requirement.

Also, if a thread clearly breaks any rules it is automatically a Bad Thread, just wanted to throw that in there as a formality.

Genghis Beatrix
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I typically like threads with some degree of intelligence. Other than that, it's usually stuff that gets me to laugh. Rp is us one of my favorite pasttimes, although I get discouraged by the idiots who think that godmodding is best.

Srry, right now, I'm not feeling the vibe to write right now.

TheyCallMeFei
02-10-2011, 11:44 PM
I tend to stay away from threads where each post is a wall of text and, upon skimming each, I find that either 1) the topic has strayed leagues away from the OP and/or 2) it is a debate regarding one of the many "unanswerable questions." I come online to unwind, not to go on and on and on about things with no conclusion in sight. If I wanted that I'd join a debate team.

So, a good thread in my opinion isn't serious. The OP must be fun, gets you thinking, but not in a way that induces headaches.

Wio
02-11-2011, 12:01 AM
The threads people tend to like the most are the ones where someone blatantly breaks serious forum rules and etiquette and no mod is around to see it. They are especially zesty if someone start flaming other members individually, a mod gets flamed, a mod is provoked into counter flaming, the person going postal was a semi popular member, etc.

Aleyna
02-11-2011, 12:02 AM
What makes a good thread? A lot of views and/or replies.

Uta-chan~
02-11-2011, 12:22 AM
So in your opinion, is this a good thread? =p

Anuket
02-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Good Thread: Lots of wise/funny/humorous replies and every member gets along with it.

Bad Thread: A troll going mad all over the place and no mods getting rid of it.

Or is it the other way around? You tell me~ >X3

blueangel06661
02-11-2011, 05:40 AM
A thread anyone can have input in.. I mean there are some threads [mostly news/very sciencey thread] that not everyone can contribute to.

Megamind's Minion
02-12-2011, 07:40 PM
a good thread is something that makes you enjoi reading, or mentally challenge you to answer because you feel the need to not because you are forced to...