PDA

View Full Version : Computer Fail

Meteorkeeper
01-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Yesterday morning I awoke like normal and went to turn on my comp like I do every day
But when I started it up I was greeted buy a loud electrical fizzling noise and sparks started coming out of the back of my comp. I jumped for the power cored and quickly unplugged it but I was far too late. Upon further inspection of the inside of my comp I found that my power supply was completely fried :oy:. I then removed the power supply and low and behold I found a steel key lodged inside...how the heck...I still have no idea how a key found its way into my power supply.

Everyone who has owned a computer at one point in time has to have a story or two like this. It doesn’t haft to be about your computer just any piece of technology that left you confused, startled or just plain angry.
Share your story with us

Edit: just in case you were wondering I am posting from work right now.

Lily Rock
01-28-2011, 04:20 PM
For some years ago at my room in a apartment, I had a VERY old computer, I looked behind it cause I had dropped something, found that red "DO NOT PRESS IF NOT LIKE FRIED" button, so the computer almost exploded on me.
In school one computer I had, it's Hard drive got COMPLETELY fried when I was mishandling the computer by pressing off on the button(more like teacher told me to, lol).
And this computer, bluescreened about 12+ times, one time when recording with XFire, others when crap's running in the background.

Aleyna
01-28-2011, 07:32 PM
But when I started it up I was greeted buy a loud electrical fizzling noise and sparks started coming out of the back of my comp. I jumped for the power cored and quickly unplugged it but I was far too late. Upon further inspection of the inside of my comp I found that my power supply was completely fried :oy:. I then removed the power supply and low and behold I found a steel key lodged inside...how the heck...I still have no idea how a key found its way into my power supply.

I am sorry to hear what happened to your computer. That really sucks, and is bizarre.

Well when I was young and didn't know that much about virus protection software, I got a virus on my computer that muted the sound on my computer. I cleaned the file that had the virus on it, but I deleted the file after I cleaned it. It turned out I had deleted a very important file, because not only is the sound gone, but I couldn't open the drives up to put discs into the computer. So then, a professional had to come over and fix the computer. He had to delete everything on the computer too, in order to have the computer able to function properly again. Nothing could be saved or backed up that was on there before he delete everything. It sucked.

Ranshiin
01-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Well despite how often my current computer hangs (remember kids: overclocking is bad :)) I generally don't have any problems with it.

Unlike the previous computer, where I managed to blow something up. TWICE.

First time I'd had it a month ... for absolutely no reason it just went BANG after about five minutes of being on. No, seriously, it went BANG. neighbours down the street heard it.

I never did find out what happened but I reckon the PSU exploded because of a power surge. Either way I had to wait for a technician to come round (thankfully since I'd only had it a month it was still under warranty) and they had to replace pretty much every part of the computer, except the hard drive and the RAM.

Since then I have had to hack that computer every time I've had to reinstall windows (total: 3 times >_>) because it has a preinstalled copy of windows that authenticates itself using the motherboard serial ... and since I have a new motherboard it's all "NO THIS IS NOT YOUR COMPUTER."

Second explosion was my old Geforce 7900GT. This taught me to a) not simply ignore when I can't find anywhere to plug the fan's power cord in and b) to never overclock anything ever again. Guess which of the two I still follow. :P but yeah, I'd had it about a year and the PSU didn't have a connector for the fan so I guess after a year of being thrashed through gaming it just gave up. It gave up pretty bad. I had to get a new computer. >.>

Meteorkeeper
01-29-2011, 10:57 AM
I am sorry to hear what happened to your computer. That really sucks, and is bizarre.

Well when I was young and didn't know that much about virus protection software, I got a virus on my computer that muted the sound on my computer. I cleaned the file that had the virus on it, but I deleted the file after I cleaned it. It turned out I had deleted a very important file, because not only is the sound gone, but I couldn't open the drives up to put discs into the computer. So then, a professional had to come over and fix the computer. He had to delete everything on the computer too, in order to have the computer able to function properly again. Nothing could be saved or backed up that was on there before he delete everything. It sucked.

That's the worst I have had to clear my C a bunch of times due to viruses. But I tend to keep everything backed up on one of my external hard drives so it usually dose not set me back very far. Can I take this moment to say how awesome are external hard drives.