PDA

View Full Version : Future of Motion-Control games

Skylar1
01-22-2011, 05:42 PM
(CNN) -- Proving that the Wii's motion-sensing controls weren't a fad, both Sony's PlayStation Move and Microsoft's Kinect had strong holiday seasons, suggesting a growing appetite for active video games.
Sony and Microsoft sold more than 4.1 million and 8 million units over the holidays, respectively, on the strength of titles like "Sports Champions" and "Dance Central."
And as a host of new compatible offerings illustrate, both these and other manufacturers hope to further expand the market for gesture-tracking gaming systems (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/09/03/steinberg.motion.controls/index.html?iref=allsearch) throughout 2011 and beyond.
Here's a look at what's coming in the months ahead...

Full Article: http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/01/21/motion.controls.steinberg/index.html?hpt=Sbin

What about you guys? What potential do you see in motion control?

Hanamaru Kunikida
01-22-2011, 05:53 PM
A little off topic but due to the Move and Kinect, this eliminates reason to make the sequels for the two consoles.

Anyways, on topic: It will bring more gamers, that's for sure and of course revolutionize gaming, but for me..I'll stay with buttons. It also depends on the game though, something like Time Crisis which I used to play on arcades a lot is something I would be willing to play with the Move. Resident Evil 5, Dead Space 2/Extraction, Socom? No thanks, but I will give it a try if I ever get the chance to.

As for Kinect, it's a total joke but Dance Central is a really appealing.

Skylar1
01-22-2011, 05:56 PM
I don't think it has to be a purely exclusive "Controllers vs. motion control" relationship; as the wii-mote has clearly made a perfect harmony between the two.

The technology is still in it's infancy, but I should get major improvements in coming years that will appeal both to casual gamers, AND the hard titles that core gamer enjoy.

Hanamaru Kunikida
01-22-2011, 06:05 PM
It depends on what you mean with "motion controls" because something like Monster Hunter Tri, where you swing your way, which gets tiring especially with the kind of obstacles the game has. Time Crisis, something originally in the arcades, it's true nature is to play it with motion, just how the creators intended to...so I believe out of the question motion will have the best experience there.

The only game that attracted Hardcore gamers is Dance Central. Basically because it isn't a some gimmick game nor isn't broken at all. It's more like an Open Dance Dance Revolution to me with Modern-American sensation songs.

See, if they make a game that it's meant to stay on buttons then it's going to be a major chaos but hardcore games like Time Crisis that are well with motion might sell as it should and might give an idea to future shooter games on consoles on how to set it up.