PDA

View Full Version : E-Books vs traditional books

Ultor grissom
01-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Which format do you prefer and what are the positive and negative aspects of each one of them.
I have recently acquired a smartphone that can use the Kindle application and am wondering if I should stick with regular printed books or make yet another part of my life digital. I like the idea of not having to carry my books around with me and having the possibility of creating a handheld library but I do not like the idea of relying on something that needs power because sometimes you just do not have enough of it.

Anuket
01-18-2011, 09:53 PM
When I get lazy I prefer to read Ebooks but sometimes I'd miss the old traditional books, there's something more real about reading it and it feels really great having to have something in your hands. So what I suggest is that if you do some light reading try going with Ebooks but if not then stick to the old traditional books. There's always something cozy about traditional ones.

Princess Cupcake
01-18-2011, 10:41 PM
An actual book is much more enjoyable. I prefer things to be more concrete. And what are you going to do when your computer isn't working all of a sudden but you were about to get to the best part? Guess I'm just old fashioned :P

OminousCloud
01-18-2011, 11:04 PM
E-books are nice because they're not as heavy as real books and you can have thousands of them on your reader at a time, but I prefer flipping through a real book. It also doesn't strain the eyes as much.

Kaitou Ace
01-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Ebooks all the way for me. I've got a eReader (the Sony touch 650 model) and about 1600 books on it currently. It's relatively light to carry, the battery lasts for about three weeks, and there is no extra eye strain because of the screen technology. The ease of having my entire library on hand at all times is wonderful, and every book remembers where I left off.

I do like paper books for some things, but overall, well over 90% of my reading in the last five years has been on an ereader of some sort.

OminousCloud
01-19-2011, 03:40 AM
I like to bookswap, which is kind of lame when you try and do it with e-books =/

Ophidian
01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on an e-book, but the prospect of one day having my own library will always be there. Can't beat old dusty books.

Megamind's Minion
02-01-2011, 07:09 AM
books.. Real.. Dusty,.. Smelly books...
no harm meant to e-books but they strain my eyes...

law~
02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
traditional books ftw!
they just look so adorable on a bookshelf ^^
e-books hurt my eyes *_*

Fabala
02-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Call me old-fashioned, but I love my traditional books. I like to curl up on the couch or in bed clutching my books and reading away for hours. Yes, I could do that with an e-book reader, but it would be lacking something. I also take an almost unnatural pride in the number of books I own. I very rarely buy new books, and getting them second-hand means I can increase my collection that much easier ^^

The exception in all of this is in relation to university work. I've collected hundreds of e-books over the last few years to use as reference or pleasure reading in relation to my studies. The fact is, they were available to me through the university for free, and would have cost me a small fortune had I purchased all of them, even second-hand.

dream magician
02-19-2011, 07:42 AM
I don't know but I read fast when it's in Ebook format ( which is a good thing) but traditional ones hypes up my imagination (which is also a good thing). I guess I both like them- they have benefits.

Nyanko
04-10-2011, 09:49 AM
There's just something about reading a real book. I lose interest reading long things on my computer, so I doubt I'd very easily get through a whole book on a kindle or something. Seeing "Page 134/150" is a far cry from holding the book in your hands and seeing for yourself how many pages are left.

Nesh
04-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Traditional Books are waaaaaaaay better!!
I read e-books if they are requered for school and if I can't find the book in the library

animeyay
04-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Ebooks please. I can search easily for a specific section/phrase, whereas with a real book I'll need to rely on my memory and flip through pages. Not that I don't like traditional books, of course, but ebooks are just so much more convenient.

Furore
04-10-2011, 10:23 AM
eBooks. I like them as they're cheaper, take up no shelf space, are more portable and some eBook readers allow me to do things like magnify text which can be great in low light situations.
The one thing I prefer about traditional books is the cover art - it's not the same on eBooks even if the format has a scan of the cover.

-GAZKUL-
05-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Traditional Books, can't beat them, besides i'm hopeless with tech

╬Karami Mew~Meow
05-28-2011, 10:30 AM
I prefer traditional books actually cuz I'm just old fashioned like that. But I have more stamina for ebooks.

There is a university in Philippines that actually is testing right now how it would go if students just had ebooks [like a kindle] instead of having to carry many heavy books around. I am quite impressed o.o WHere'd they get the money?! And sheesh even my school in USA doesn't have that ~
That's actually pretty cool

marvel_phoenix
05-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm old fashioned :p I like the feel, weight, and smell of a real book. I like to be able to pick it up and automatically tell how far i've progressed without having to open anything. (Part of why I like to write long hand :P) I want that big library of books I've gathered over the years, to run my fingers over their spines and remember why I like each and every one of them.

Digital is just not the same. It puts a strain on my eyes, and one hand just does not know what to with itself when there are no actual pages to turn. It just doesn't feel natural.

Anniexo
06-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I've never read an ebook before, but I guess it could be good if you like hi-tech stuff like that, the pro I can see for it, is that it's not very thick and you can hold lots of books on one, but it's con is that when reading outside on a nice day, the sun could make it hard to read, and if it rains there is a risk of it not working if it get's too wet. As for good old books, it's pro is that you can read it anywhere and don't have to worry as much of it getting damaged, because it will normally be one but that can easy be replaced, and not many books that coat a lot to replace, the con is you can't really carry to many with you unless you have a big bag and can carry a lot.

Ezza Obsuna
07-05-2011, 12:52 AM
aargh!! this is hard. at most, i read about 10 books a week. it can be pretty expensive if i buy what you call a traditional book. ebooks are easier to get. also,traditional books take up a more space. but i'd say that it is a more thrilling experience when you read holding a real book. i have about a hundred ebooks in my phone right now but i also have many books in my room. so i'd say it's a tie.

brolyx74
07-05-2011, 08:55 AM
real, tangible books all the way. I want to be able to display everything I've read, and I love going to my manga library and seeing every shelf full with more overflowing on the sides. It makes me feel accomplished.

blueangel06661
07-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Real books. I like physically having a copy of the book i like in my hand. Plus they make me feel smarter sitting on my bookshelf. I don't mind toting my books around. I only carry one at a time and any book besides a dictionary and a school textbook is fairly light. One day when I get rich I'm going to have a mini library in my home x.x

Another thing.. You can leave your book sitting somewhere without the worry someone will steal it... Not the same story with an e-book device. My friend got her kindle stolen on a school bus. Right under her nose.

Elphaba
07-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Traditinal books.
I like collecting them, seriously my house is like a library. I like carrying a book with me all the time because I feel empty without one. I also like looking for certain books, I find it fun to go to different places and see if they have what I'm looking for or just to walk down the aisles.

Masakisu
07-25-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm not particularly either way.

I've never understood the whole 'real books r b8r' argument - one doesn't read books in order to sniff at it and exclaim 'This page smells particularly musty!', one reads them in order to experience a captivating story. Certainly I like traditional books, but when I'm reading I tend not to notice I'm actually holding a book, especially when I'm engrossed in the story. And I too like displaying my books, but it's not like that takes precedence over enjoying them (especially when I have nowhere to store them: my books (save some graphic novels) are just piled in the corner).

I find e-books to be much handier. With an e-book reader, I don't have to worry about not bringing enough books when I travel, nor about them clogging up space at home (my bedroom isn't particularly suited for storage). It's very easy to pirate e-books also, reducing another drain on my finances, and I can simply download any book I want instantly rather than having to search for it in shops (I rarely tend to buy books online unless they're graphic novels or particularly hard-to-come-by) - this is especially useful for reading unofficially translated material (light novels for instance).

I'm not particularly fussed whether I read a book physically or on my Kindle, but if I had to make a choice, I'd wager the latter.

The Butcher
07-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Traditional books.

Don't get me wrong, once I get a Kindle or something like that I'll start getting E-Books. Their a lot cheaper, and easier to tote around. Too bad a Kindle is high.

Datenshi
07-26-2011, 07:05 AM
I mark books like a madman and make heavy use of post-it-notes to scrawl my notes into when I'm reading, so printed books are essential for me.

Electronic books just don't offer the same amount of freedom.

HamsterGod
08-19-2011, 06:11 AM
I prefer traditional books. I have read ebooks, and they're a nice alternative when I can't find the book I want in the bookshops. I usually make my dad order the next parts of the books online later for me, if I liked the ebook that much.

dragonlord24
09-03-2011, 09:57 AM
i like Traditional books but finding the one's i like two read is dificult in my area so i read the e-books more

Termina
09-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I couldnt imagine reading a book on a screen like that. Most book stores can order books you want, then call you when they get it.

RyuTama
09-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Gotta love that old book smell.

-sniiiiiiiiff-

PunkiePie
09-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Gotta love that old book smell.

-sniiiiiiiiff-

That is like the best smell, ever.

Traditional books I will always prefer over E-books. E-books hurt my eyes if I stare at them for to long, plus always having to make sure it's charged.
Don't have to charge a book. x.x

Kaitou Ace
09-03-2011, 11:32 PM

Traditional books I will always prefer over E-books. E-books hurt my eyes if I stare at them for to long, plus always having to make sure it's charged.

Well past the smell part of it, if you use an ereader with an eink screen, it won't hurt your eyes anymore then a printed page of text would. And those same displays use very little power, so an ereader only needs charging every couple of weeks

PunkiePie
09-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Well past the smell part of it, if you use an ereader with an eink screen, it won't hurt your eyes anymore then a printed page of text would. And those same displays use very little power, so an ereader only needs charging every couple of weeks

Hmm, that's true to... >_>

Maybe I'm just old fashion.. Haha. I like to look at my shelves though and see all the books I have, but I'm a collector more than anything too..

GameGeeks
09-05-2011, 10:45 AM
I mark books like a madman and make heavy use of post-it-notes to scrawl my notes into when I'm reading, so printed books are essential for me.

Electronic books just don't offer the same amount of freedom.
Actually, some of them, like the Kindle 3 I have, do allow you to highlight and make notes on it and keeps it attached to the book.

Kokorokisses
09-05-2011, 11:36 AM
My dad loves his kindle to death he's always using it. But for me, I don't really like them all that much because like Punkie Pie said earlier it hurts my eyes after a while too. And I don't know why but I really like the feel of a book in my hands and feeling the pages instead of this handheld computer thing. But that's just me :D

ghostthegreat
09-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I do like ebooks (but they have to be on a device like kindle for the special ink/screen), but I prefer traditional books. The whole feel is lost, not to mention, I have so much trouble trying to find a certain page on an ebook when it only takes a second to flip through a traditional one.

Aranneas
09-11-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm addicted to used bookstores and thrift shopping. There's no equivalent e-experience. That said there's nothing wrong with e-books in general, it's just that they don't give me quite the same level of gratification.

If I'm reading for information, e-books are fine. If I'm reading to enjoy myself, paper has the edge.

Earth
09-19-2011, 06:08 PM
I prefer traditional books over E-Books. I love seeing my bookshelf stocked full with my many books. I enjoy turning the pages and smelling the "book smell" from a new book. Reading from a screen eventually gives me a headache, but a traditional book doesn't.

RohanDarkling
10-21-2011, 05:06 AM
I prefer reading from a book. I like owning books and hope to own day own a massive library. Also I find that reading from a book is easier on the eyes than from a screen.

okazaki2
10-21-2011, 12:35 PM
The feeling of opening (is that a correct word?) book and reading real letters on real paper-pages will never getting old.

Yukari
10-21-2011, 10:09 PM
When I was deciding whether or not to get a Kindle, I was thinking "Oh they can't be better than an actually book." But I ended up getting one anyway. Now I believe Kindles are the better option. Not only is it lighter and it can hold more, but the battery life can hold up to a month without being hook up to a wifi connection. It can hold so many books as well and I hated when I was stuck somewhere and I finished my book and I had the next one at home. Now I have them all on my Kindle and I can dive right into the next one. I can also search the web on my Kindle. Not only that, the books are also cheaper when you buy them through the kindle store.

sweetdaddydee1
10-23-2011, 12:19 PM
i like them both.

Kazama1990
11-28-2011, 04:50 AM
I prefer to hold the book in my hand and be able to take it wherever I want to go and not have to worry bout its power lol... enjoying a book outdoors near a waterfall without worriying bout glare on screen is also nice plus artifical light annoys me

Geräusch
12-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Personally, I don't see how anyone can stand reading a digital book, while touching a real book is more enjoyable.
Not to mention that it allows you to take in the importance of the printed word.

OP, I suggest that you stick to the old-fashioned method of reading.

marvel_phoenix
12-23-2011, 02:10 AM
I got one of those new Kindles for Christmas. It's nice, but I still prefer a real book. Even the digital copies can seem ridiculously expensive, considering I can find used books in decent condition for just a couple bucks. But if you have a job that requires a lot of travel, or you don't have a whole lot of space, I can see why digital would be the way to go.

vrarsenal
12-27-2011, 04:02 PM
I much prefer the traditional.
Obviously the smell is lovelyxD
I love the feel to the traditional. It's chunky and fits much more snugly in my hand (my opinion)
I prefer reading from a page rather than a screen.
It never needs charging e.t.c

Downside:
Not light or small.
Only hold one book (obviouslyxD)

Overall I prefer the traditional.

Miss Manipulation
03-18-2012, 05:14 PM
I used an e-reader for the first time the other week. Wow, that was quite a different experience! I really liked that if I didn't know what a word meant I could immediately look it up on the e-reader (forgive me I really do not know what kind I used. I borrowed it from the teacher, by the way. If I had bought it I would have known. xP) without even needing internet or without switching to some e-dictionary or something. It was also quite light compared to the fact that I usually carry 20 pounds worth of books in my backpack. Somebody had told me you can buy more e-books from your e-redaer. I do believe this is quite convenient if I feel like reading something new at 3 AM. And believe me, there have been so many nights where I finish a book but I can't visit the store or the library because no one there works until 6 in the morning. Such a shame!

Anyways. As nice a change as it was, its just not the same as holding a real book in your hands. You don't get the same feeling on the e-reader as you do when you turn a real page. Buying an e-book doesn't seem the same to me as opening that real book for the very first time. I think I'll always prefer the traditional ways of going to the store/library and picking out a 10-pound, 600-page book. Even if it kills my back at school the next day. There's just something about reading from paper that I just didn't feel when reading from an e-reader. Not to mention, I'd imagine that the LCD light in the background (that is what it was, right?) would tire your eyes after so long! And real books don't run out of battery. I'll be so worried about the battery of an e-reader running out while I'm not home that I won't truly read! I will forever stay in love with traditional books.

CrimsonMoon
03-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Traditional books for me. I don't like staring at the screen for too long. It strains my eyes. I might get ebook someday, but not now. I'm just too old fashioned to be bothered with technology.

KageNoNeko
03-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Traditional for my pleasure books, but I have a couple of PDFs of books by Lawerence Lessig (a great person to read if you are in to copyright). Those PDFs don't look all that great on my screen. I feel like ebooks are better for things like textbooks and for taking your collection on the go. I do see there for being a great potential for manga being ebooks.

Creasy
06-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Books are better ;)

Thefringedninja
06-24-2012, 09:44 AM
I prefer physical books. I love their smell and feel! Also I find that my eyes hurt after looking at a screen for too long...whenever I play video games I can only play them for about an hour, then I have to take a short break as I get a headache. I can only read stories on a widescreen for some reason, even though I have been told that my short sight is very good.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Oh wow, just realised you said almost exactly what I have posted xD

threewolves
06-24-2012, 10:18 AM
I used to think I would never use an e-reader. Then like you, I got a smartphone, and decided to try a couple of free books on the kindle app. I loved it. The only books I buy now that are hardcopies are books I cant get on Kindle. Otherwise I would much rather just have them on the kindle.

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
06-24-2012, 05:28 PM
That's a hard one! :P
Books in paper always have that sense of proximity that it's impossible to have on E-Books and also reading them I don't get that many headaches as it happens with the pc.
E-books are very useful by the other hand and you save money as well.

If I had to pick one like forever I'd pick traditional pooks because of my headaches (but I'm really sparing! :P)

MariannaB
07-17-2012, 02:51 AM
I very much prefer books that are physical because I love holding them, however I am also on Team E-book. There are so many authors who haven't been able to get published but are amazing writers and I believe that they should be able to get their stories out there through self publishing as ebooks. It has led to greater things for some like Amanda Hocking.

However, I will only purchase self-published books that are ONLY available as ebooks for my kindle. Anthing that is in print, I will by the hard copy of. I would like to support both industries.

elisaelisa
07-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Both have their advantages and i really see how eBooks can be handy when say travelling, but i really prefere real books. I cant explain it tho. Its something about their design, look, feel of holding it when reading, even the smell of book. I just like books in book format way more.

Steven21088
07-17-2012, 06:43 PM
I have tried to read e-books online or on my laptop but it bores me staring at a screen for long periods of time. Whereas with a book I can feel myself really getting into the story and find myself really clutching the book.

MariannaB
07-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Both have their advantages and i really see how eBooks can be handy when say travelling, but i really prefere real books. I cant explain it tho. Its something about their design, look, feel of holding it when reading, even the smell of book. I just like books in book format way more.

I know what you are saying. There is nothing that can really be compared to actually holding a book, then holding whatever device you read your ebooks on.

Red&Stiletto
09-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Despite the obvious convenience factors of ebooks, i most definitely prefer traditional books, especially old ones with history. I'm a sucker for an object with a history (this carries into clothes and furniture as well, actually). If i have to read a story digitally, it's usually either fanfiction off the internet or other similar forms of written media.

Tenrou Nogitsune
10-15-2012, 09:35 AM
I read both, but I love the scent of paper, ink and the occasional papercut