PDA

View Full Version : Spicy Stuff

Wio
01-08-2011, 12:22 AM
I have always had a sensitive tongue. I like to flatten soda and find carbonated drinks rather disgusting.

Spicy food has alway been very painful to my tongue. To put it lightly, I would honestly rather drink a glass of urine then eat most spicy stuff. I always thought it was just my taste since most people seemed to enjoy spicy food. Anyway, then I saw this video where this junk food maker (I will not advertise spicy food) was talking about how his chips made your tongue feel like a hammer was taken to it. This is kinda what my experience has been.

So my question is, is it true that a lot of people feel pain when they eat spicy food or is it a rare condition? And if it does sting a lot of people, then why would said people willingly eat it? Lend me your tongue.

Anoleis
01-08-2011, 12:42 AM
So my question is, is it true that a lot of people feel pain when they eat spicy food or is it a rare condition?
It really depends on the person. My dad can't/won't eat pepper (in any shape or form) because it's hot enough to give him sores. My Mom can eat, and enjoy, nearly anything spicy. I've heard of people who can't feel/taste spiciness, and some of them also get blisters/ sores from it.

And if it does sting a lot of people, then why would said people willingly eat it?
Remember flamin hot cheetos? And the bunches of kids who'd eat them just for the pain?

Anyway, then I saw this video where this junk food maker (I will not advertise spicy food) was talking about how his chips made your tongue feel like a hammer was taken to it.
I guess I'd enjoy watching them, and, if they were a masochist, they'd enjoy the sensations described....

animeyay
01-08-2011, 12:44 AM
I avoid spicy food at all cost. My tongue can take it with no problem, but my gut can't.
Eating spicy food results in painful bathroom time for me, lol.

SigmaSD
01-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Remember flamin hot cheetos? And the bunches of kids who'd eat them just for the pain?

Flamin hot cheetos aren't that spicy.

Oh and people eat spicy food for the taste of the spicy ingredients added to the food. It helps enrich the flavor in some way shape or form.

I don't know how to answer the former question because I have no idea.

I will share that even though I adore spicy food, I can't have a lot.

Anoleis
01-08-2011, 02:16 AM
Flamin hot cheetos aren't that spicy.
No they weren't, but after 6 or 7 bags the results spoke for themselves; usually as prayers to the porcelain gods~

MirrorToTheMoon
01-08-2011, 02:34 AM
Well... if it's a little more pepper then necessary, I'll live.
Anything spicier than that gives me sore throats for a fortnight.

Zombie Panda
01-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Some spice isn't bad. Depends on the ingredient, a lot of them actually taste pretty good. Some people, though, seem to think pain is a flavor and take it too far.

Anuket
01-08-2011, 03:38 AM
if they were a masochist, they'd enjoy the sensations described....

So this probably means I'm an over-the-top masochist considering I love spicy food and enjoy the sensation so much?

Bleh, guess we're all different. xD

blueangel06661
01-08-2011, 06:11 AM
I like some types of spicy seeing as I grew up on eating a bit of Cajun food. Spicy crawfish are DELISH~ If it ain't spicy I ain't eating it.

Also when I make my home made nachos from Nacho Flavored Doritos + Hamburger Meat + Melted cheese I always add Jalapeņos. [Except lately when I have braces because a small piece of Jalapeņo will get stuck in my braces and I'll feel the burn trying to get it out with my tongue]

And I like my hot wings hot but not hot hot... And thats about it in terms of spicy.

miniPhil
01-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I dig Indian food so, yeah, I love spicy stuff. Can't say I have your sensitive tongue issue. Ate wassabi once and I thought it wasn't too hot.

.Sev
01-08-2011, 02:23 PM
My mom has always been sensitive to spicy stuff, along with salty food. She gets sores on the roof of her mouth if she eats too much spicy/salty food. Where in comparison I love spicy food. Unless it's really spicy I can eat it. So some people are just more sensitive to stuff, I guess.

wizz-o-matic
01-08-2011, 02:26 PM
I eat a lot of spicy food ... can't even imagine eating it without spicing it up.

And I grow my own chili too :)

Hanamaru Kunikida
01-08-2011, 02:40 PM
If I want to spend my day in the restroom then sure. ^_^ Well, that's actually Indian food.

-GAZKUL-
01-08-2011, 04:58 PM
love it, i don't get why some people hate it so much.

Wio
01-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Did you not read my post?

Hanamaru Kunikida
01-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Did you not read my post?

He must have missed mine as well(it's right above his), then again..I don't hate it...I just don't eat it too often.

Ramona Flowers
01-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Thats odd, sounds like an allergy. I can not get enough spicy food. I'll eat fresh peppers. Sometimes it does hurt, but I love it. Wasabi is a good example, its like a slap in the face.

Meenah
01-09-2011, 06:45 AM
I have a high tolerance of spicy food. Whenever I eat it, I want more of it. I think its because I like the feeling of it... idk. xD In case if you're wondering, I'm no masochist. I eat them every now and then, but as I said it doesn't bother me a lot. I prefer spicy food over something salty and bitter. It feels like its burning more than the spices and I'm real sensitive to bitter/sour food.

Flamin' hot Cheetos aren't that spicy. I think it's mild for me. :C

Haoie
01-11-2011, 03:14 AM
Uh, I hate spicy too.

And yes, water just makes it much worse.

Rei
01-11-2011, 08:18 AM
And yes, water just makes it much worse.

Especially cold water, but milk helps.

I love spicy stuff. But plain spicy is sorta meh, so it needs to have some kind of flavor, of course. Spicy + sour is win.

Skylar1
01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Depends on the taste; If it doesn't taste good, I won't eat it.

I particularly enjoy spicy food like salsa and other pepper enriched foods like that. Not entirely sure if eating a lot of spicy food counts as masochism (not that there's anything wrong with that if it is...)

TheyCallMeFei
01-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I like to eat a lot of ginger when I go out for sushi with my fiance.. she thinks I'm crazy, but I guess I like how it stings.

I can only handle so much spicy food, but I prefer something that's interesting to eat rather than boring food.

Armageddon
01-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Ahh, I love spice.
When I was younger, I didn`t like it as much as I do now.

Give a chili chicken pizza? I'll add tobasco sauce to it.

I love fresh chilies, and I chop them up and add them to just about all my meals.
Quiche? I'll add fresh chilli. I enjoy the taste, and the heat doesnt bother me as much as what it would to others.

I also enjoy alot of pepper as well, you to a retaurant and they bring over the mill to ask you if you want pepper. .___." I advise them to just leave it on the table for me.

I don`t feel any pain most of the time. I have though on very rare occasions when I have tasted chilies, have had a horrible like throat cutting sensation.

However, I have heard of any chili prank stories. That are absolutely hilarious.

Kyubi-no-kitsune
01-12-2011, 12:55 AM
the more spicy the better except when it comes to Ghost peppers and Wasabi two of the most dangerously spicy substances on earth

Sputnik
01-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Oh man I i have this banging ghost pepper infused salt thats great with popcorn and dried meaty dishes. But yeah, I've always been a fan of spicy stuff as long as it doesn't overpower the actual flavor of what I'm eatin.

╬Karami Mew~Meow
05-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Most who love it pretty much probably grew up with it.

My parents told me when I was a baby, I would eat a little pepper like it was rice... It's kinda hard to believe o.o But could be possible. I don't mind spicy food. But not too spicy or I'll tear up >.< But a little spice in my food is always welcome =]

erika08
10-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Most who love it pretty much probably grew up with it.

My parents told me when I was a baby, I would eat a little pepper like it was rice... It's kinda hard to believe o.o But could be possible. I don't mind spicy food. But not too spicy or I'll tear up >.< But a little spice in my food is always welcome =]

really ? that was so cool. lol. your a unique baby before.lol :D

I love to eat spicy food but not too spicy, my family really loves eating spicy food too and maybe that's why we like it.

Xeyuzio
10-17-2011, 08:54 AM
I hate spicy food with a passion~ I don't get how someone can eat spicy and sour food and LIKE it, it just seems odd to me. o.o;

wolfgirl90
10-17-2011, 01:49 PM

Well, at the end of the day, the chemicals in spicy food are irritants. Hell, the chemical capsaicin can not only be found in hot sauce and chili peppers but it is also the active ingredient in PEPPER SPRAY (ya know, that stuff we spray in people's eyes to get them to shut up), so its no wonder that some people can't handle it when stuff like that ends up in their belleh.

You have to develop a tolerance for the stuff, although some people can be hypersensitive to the chemicals in spicy food, preventing such a thing from happening (some people become seriously ill after eating mild wings).

For me, I LOVE spicy food. There are some things that I don't eat (like wasabi), but that's because I don't like the taste of it, not because I can't handle the spiciness. I like pushing my luck with chili peppers.:laugh:

Hanamaru Kunikida
10-17-2011, 02:11 PM
I hate spicy food with a passion~ I don't get how someone can eat spicy and sour food and LIKE it, it just seems odd to me. o.o;

Sup Fake Mexican....rather....Fake Hispanic.

nanashipiero
10-17-2011, 02:16 PM
I love spicy food, lol. I think the only spicy thing I can't eat is a habanero pepper. But other than that, I always put tabasco sauce where most people would put ketchup.

Not on everything, though XD.

Xeyuzio
10-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Sup Fake Mexican....rather....Fake Hispanic.

I'm white on the inside, at least that's what everyone tells me. :x

International 4-8818
10-17-2011, 03:48 PM
I love spicy food so damn much! Makes everything tastes better! I used to carry little bottles of tabasco or tapitio with me all the time!

Konkulf
10-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Last couple of years I seem to have developed some kind of in-human immunity against hot stuff, I can eat the spiciest of food and i won't really notice it.

That being said, I love spicy food, especially Indian food :)

Screwby
10-19-2011, 09:28 AM
I like the taste of some spicy stuff like Tabasco sauce and the chili peppers in my garden but can't say I'm a fan of the burning sensation.

Also a bit off topic but did anyone notice how chilies are part of the Nightshade family (Solanaceae)? That's pretty cool

Gauntlgrym
10-19-2011, 10:41 AM
couple of things:

1)i like to flatten my soda too, but i love spicy food. so i don't think that they have much to do with one another
2)how spicy are we talking here?? i mean, at some point, everyone feels pain when they eat spicy food. just depends on how spicy it is.