PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious

Videogamer555
01-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Was there ever an anime that when brought to the US was already originally so non-violent and so non-sexual that it was able to run UNCENSORED during a kids show time segment on American "over the air" TV?

Kaname Shikara
01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I...can't really think of any :/ Cardcaptor Sakura was changed a bit, Pokemon I think was changed, Yu-Gi-Oh was changed....so.... O.o

Pokemon and Yugioh weren't "censored" so much as "westernized".

Additionally there is Monster Rancher and Digimon.

Ultor grissom
01-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Not sure, I am just throwing this out there but Medabots may have been one.

Videogamer555
01-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I...can't really think of any :/ Cardcaptor Sakura was changed a bit, Pokemon I think was changed, Yu-Gi-Oh was changed....so.... O.o

Pokemon and Yugioh weren't "censored" so much as "westernized".

Additionally there is Monster Rancher and Digimon.

Actually Pokemon had an episode removed after 9/11 attacks, because it had large building being destroyed by a MASSIVE Pokemon. Also an episode was removed because it showed the use if bullet-shooting guns (deemed too violent because such deadly weapons really exist, but laser guns would probably have been ok, since hand held laser blasters aren't real, yet).

And yes actually Monster Rancher had a violent scene removed in which originally the character Pixie received multiple electric shock attacks from the main enemy named Muu, all while she was trapped in a bubble-shield type force field and couldn't escape by dodging, she had no where to go. Yes, mercilessly bringing major ownage on someone who's completely defenseless, is worse than a regular battle, and deemed too violent for kids in the US.

Son-Goran
01-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Long live Piratebay! haha

Videogamer555
01-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Long live Piratebay! haha

What does that have to do with this thread. I are confuzed.

Hanamaru Kunikida
01-05-2011, 04:44 PM
All Anime gets "Americanize" when they come here, the US. Apparently the content is too much for the American babies.

Videogamer555
01-05-2011, 09:08 PM
All Anime gets "Americanize" when they come here, the US.
You no write Engrish well.

I think what you meant is :
All Anime gets "Americanized" when they come here to the US.

And not all of it is for inappropriate content. Some of them are changed to remove Japanese food references because they don't think American kids will understand the concept of foreign food (LOLWUT).

Hanamaru Kunikida
01-05-2011, 09:27 PM
My Firefox is lagging today and I am sick. You're a pathetic clown worth not giving a damn. Bye.

Meenah
01-06-2011, 04:27 AM
And not all of it is for inappropriate content. Some of them are changed to remove Japanese food references because they don't think American kids will understand the concept of foreign food (LOLWUT).

You write stupid well. http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/i/c/ichaincameplz.gif?2

Being on topic: I don't see why things have to be cut off from any anime and other shows besides that, because it kind of cut out the big part of the story. And either way, kids grow up and they'll pick up on it anyway. >_>;
For godsake, removing a scene from anything won't prevent them from doing other things like knowing violence, sex, swearing, etc. They probably know it, let alone deleting some stuff I don't think it'll do much.

blueangel06661
01-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Just curious.... Do you live shut in down in your parents basement with no life what so ever as to continue criticizing anime and it's violence etc.

Get over it.

It's people like YOU that we have to change everything even down to unnecessary stuff that were changed for the heck of it so to speak.

P.S. The way our new generation is heading. It's so sad.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32712&d=1269876057

Videogamer555
01-06-2011, 09:44 AM
So basically in the past, even American cartoons had been more violent than they are now?

Ironically it wasn't "overbearing soccer moms" who were an anti-violence influence in my life regarding entertainment. When I was a kid, my mom let me watch Power Rangers. My dad was the one who told me it was too violent, and made me not watch it.

What I DON'T understand is them removing Japanese food from animes and replacing it with American food. I think it is that that they don't want it to be too "foreign" or something. But ironically since our country IS a nation of immigrant, most of our American food has origins in foreign countries. For example, pizza is actually Italian food.

They often will also remove Japanese writing too it seems (this is something I know for sure that 4kidsTV did), like they are trying to pretend it's and American cartoon and removing all references to Japan. That's just dumb. It also seems kind of racist/anti-Asian by trying to make it seem that only the US makes cartoons or something. This is one aspect of a lot of the American editing I've seen that I DON'T like.

Hanamaru Kunikida
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Arguing with VG555 is like arguing with a wall. I don't see why you girls even bother. He's a troll, he's trying to make us mad/you're giving him attention and that's what satisfies him.

Videogamer555
01-06-2011, 12:45 PM
@Vashyron
I'm not arguing here. In case you didn't notice, I actually AGREED with the person above me. That is when it was mentioned in this thread that anime is often edited TOO MUCH I actually AGREED with that statement. Did you EVEN READ MY LAST POST? It wasn't arguing, it was AGREEING!!!!! SHEESH!!!!!!!!!!
Now how many trolls would AGREE with a statement made by other forum members? That's right NO troll would agree, they'd ALL ARGUE. Thus my statement of agreement in my last post is absolute PROOF that I'm NOT A TROLL!

YOU clearly are the troll here. Until YOU came into this thread, the thread was ON TOPIC!!!!!! But you turned the thread into a "bash vb555" thread. If you wanna bash me, MAKE YOUR OWN SEPARATE THREAD FOR THAT!!!!!!

This thread's topic is ONLY to discuss anime brought to the US that potentially haven't been edited due to a low enough initial level of bad material that no editing was needed. The reason for this thread's existence is as a reference material for ME so that people can post anime that are unedited in the US, so I can go and look into getting them. If you won't help me by naming some names of anime released to the US in unedited form, then you have no business commenting in this thread. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hanamaru Kunikida
01-06-2011, 12:50 PM
@Vashyron
I'm not arguing here. In case you didn't notice, I actually AGREED with the person above me. That is when it was mentioned in this thread that anime is often edited TOO MUCH I actually AGREED with that statement. Did you EVEN READ MY LAST POST? It wasn't arguing, it was AGREEING!!!!! SHEESH!!!!!!!!!!
Now how many trolls would AGREE with a statement made by other forum members? That's right NO troll would agree, they'd ALL ARGUE. Thus my statement of agreement in my last post is absolute PROOF that I'm NOT A TROLL!

That's what a troll would do to counter-argue.

Troll. :)

Gero50
01-06-2011, 12:56 PM
I can't think of any that I have seen. Though from a very young age I watched the originals online so it never mattered to me.

Videogamer555
01-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Though from a very young age I watched the originals online so it never mattered to me.
Shouldn't start TOO young watching the originals. There is a REASON that they censor them during kids show time segments. Maybe you should start watching the original versions at 12, 13, or 14, but not too much younger than 12. And there is a good reason that the uncensored versions end up on ADULT Swim (NOT "kids swim")

blueangel06661
01-06-2011, 06:37 PM
They remove the Japanese food/writing not to disguise it as an American cartoon but rather so people will understand it? American kids do not recognize some Japanese food since it's different than ours. Also they can't read the writing too.. Japanese portray us as stupid cowboys/cowgirls so why not @_@

Ultor grissom
01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32712&d=1269876057

Reminds me of why the only cartoons that I like that are still on TV are The Simpsons( Well the older episodes) and South Park.

Heinekenrana
01-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Shouldn't start TOO young watching the originals. There is a REASON that they censor them during kids show time segments. Maybe you should start watching the original versions at 12, 13, or 14, but not too much younger than 12. And there is a good reason that the uncensored versions end up on ADULT Swim (NOT "kids swim")

Hurr durr? Have you seen AS lately? The most violent thing they showed on there as of late is the Jungle Cruise episode of GITS, so... yeah. Uncensored? Not quite.

Lily Rock
01-06-2011, 08:32 PM
All Anime gets "Americanize" when they come here, the US. Apparently the content is too much for the American babies.

abit off-topic, but explain why a little slap in the face or a few non-english words are too much for the Americans when most of the ten year old kids sit and play their Black Ops their parents bought them? Just like giving a murderer a knife and a pair of gloves...
OT: Since I do not live in the US, nor will I ever, but I think it's safe to say "no", as they will try to keep the T.V clean from the violent or scene's that makes boys go "WHOOOOO!", while most parents don't care and still buy them whatever game or thing they want.

Meenah
01-06-2011, 09:52 PM

Were you one of those kids? ;/
It doesn't make much of a difference, eventually censorship will just die out. Everyone gets it.

But there has to be a certain thing to be censored, just to avoid offensiveness and very very inappropriate material, that's reasonable. Sure~

Hanamaru Kunikida
01-06-2011, 09:53 PM
abit off-topic, but explain why a little slap in the face or a few non-english words are too much for the Americans when most of the ten year old kids sit and play their Black Ops their parents bought them? Just like giving a murderer a knife and a pair of gloves...
OT: Since I do not live in the US, nor will I ever, but I think it's safe to say "no", as they will try to keep the T.V clean from the violent or scene's that makes boys go "WHOOOOO!", while most parents don't care and still buy them whatever game or thing they want.

I am not American, I live in the States but I am Peruvian, my childhood is in Peru. Don't ask me that question because I can't answer it correctly, sorry.

Americans are just silly, I guess.

EDIT: Another question, why Americans thinks little kids like rap these days?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6gaeJkLNWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tH3Z2NYxak

What's wrong with these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cSB1IZU_8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koTmDRRiWoE

wolfgirl90
01-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Videogamer555, I am going to answer your question and hopefully when I am done, you will either just drop the subject, since you have already proven in the past (and proved it again here) that you are incapable of controlling your own threads, or just calm down before you make an (even bigger) idiot out of yourself.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So basically in the past, even American cartoons had been more violent than they are now?

Yes. In the past, cartoons were more "adult" oriented. Cartoons like Tom and Jerry and Popeye came out during war times, so those cartoons leaned more towards the adults than the kids (of course, kids watched them too). This was back in the days when families would most likely have only one television in the whole house (versus today where there could be televisions in every room) and parents and children had to watch the same thing.

That's why guns to the face and bear traps to the butt were hilarious and seen as virtually harmless jokes (compared to everything else that was happening) and why there was A LOT of sexual innuendo in those cartoons (but, again, cartoons like Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, and Chowder keep this alive in children's cartoons); parents wanted entertainment too.

Nowadays, jokes like that would not be tolerated in a children's cartoon (at least, not so openly).

What I DON'T understand is them removing Japanese food from animes and replacing it with American food. I think it is that that they don't want it to be too "foreign" or something. But ironically since our country IS a nation of immigrant, most of our American food has origins in foreign countries. For example, pizza is actually Italian food.

Pizza is something that is so ingrained in American culture that its origin is quite irrelevant (especially when there are American varieties of it).:rolleyes:

The reason why Japanese food is often edited out of anime is because...well...most people don't know what it is. Americanization is a form of localization, the process of making something foreign look more like the domestic culture (also called cultural streamlining); in this case, making a Japanese cartoon look more American or rather, make SENSE to Americans.

For example (and a famous example at that), in Pokemon, onigiri were edited out and turned into sandwiches and donuts (or worse, actually CALLED donuts). This was done because most American children wouldn't have had the slightest clue as to what an onigiri was. So 4Kids just changed it.

One could argue that kids could be exposed to a new culture through anime, but in reality, kids are not going to get a cultural lesson from Pokemon or Sailor Moon (most children's anime barely make any reference to Japan, so the issue is rather moot).

They often will also remove Japanese writing too it seems (this is something I know for sure that 4kidsTV did), like they are trying to pretend it's and American cartoon and removing all references to Japan. That's just dumb. It also seems kind of racist/anti-Asian by trying to make it seem that only the US makes cartoons or something. This is one aspect of a lot of the American editing I've seen that I DON'T like.

Once again, the reason why this is done is because most American children do not understand Japanese (written or otherwise), so the Japanese writing is taken out. It is much easier to localize a show to make it look as if it is taking place in America (or a fictional place that looks like America) than to keep in foreign references that would absolutely no sense to children (and no, subtitles do not solve this dilemma because subtitles and children don't mix).

The thing is, the Japanese have different standards than we do. Violence is more acceptable in Japan (hence why Naruto can depict a man being stabbed over and over despite it being a children's show) and sexual content (to an extent) can usually be done without much of a problem (topless women, lesbians, etc). Because of this, its kinda hard to leave children's anime unedited (for television, anyway).

You are making the assumption that anime are the only shows that receive this treatment. The fact of the matter is that even most American cartoons face some form editing. For example, Batman: The Animated Series was edited (heavily) for television during production (you should see some of things they actually wanted to put in there). A lot of Disney movies (especially the ones made during the Disney Renaissance) faced some form of editing because of the content.