PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to N.H.K. - what a show!

Son-Goran
01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
I’ve just finished the 24th (and last episode) of “Welcome to N.H.K., and what a show!

In a time where shows like Naruto and Bleach are upheld by the masses (and please do not be offended if you are a fan of the mentioned shows, I too occasionally like to watch them), it was refreshing to see such an original, demanding and complex story.

The story of Tatsuhiro Sato, a 22 year-old guy living alone in a one-room flat, being a total loner and a college drop-out, can sound like the usual modern cliché – story anime, but the show surprises with an enormous character development and massive layers of symbolism, not to mention the society criticism of the title itself.

If you have watched this amazing anime, I would love to know, what you thought of it, and in any case ask, if you can “prescribe” any similar shows?

With regards
Gogo

MistaCloudStrife
01-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Seen it. It's too original for me to really recommend any other shows. I mean, Genshiken has a neet as a main character too, but the feel is quite different and it's too simple compared to NHK. And I would suggest Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, since it also criticizes Japanese society and... well, basically everything. But it's a random parody show as well, so there's not too much of a story. And there's also Haruhi Suzumiya series... it can similar too HNK in some ways as well; mainly the feel of the show. Then there's Chaos;Head, which would probably be the closest to what you're looking for. It's the most similar you're going to get to NHK. C;H is more serious than NHK though, and would be more pointed toward the sci-fi genre. Meh-

Son-Goran
01-04-2011, 01:23 PM
I agree, and Haruhi Suzumiya is amazing, and puts "Inception" to shame, in regards of reality perception!

I will make sure to chek out Chaos;Head, - right after i finish "Monster" and "Baccano!" :)