PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions? Mature, yet dramatic/emotional anime anyone?

Tigris
01-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Hello, I've watched several series though some tend to fall through cracks. I'm looking to see if anyone has any good suggestions. Here's some anime I've finished, a star means I enjoyed it thoroughly, with Neon Genesis being my favorite.

Neon Genesis Evangelion ****
Full Metal Alchemist and Brotherhood ***
Samurai Champloo **
Wolf's Rain *
Fooly Cooly **
Death Note *
Paranoia Agent
Ghost in the Shell
Animatrix
Trinity Blood
Inuyasha (and other big titles like it, etc Naruto and others...they didn't pull me as well but I stuck through it anyway)
Now and Then, Here and There *
The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya *
Love Hina *
Digimon, Pokemon, etc
Cowboy Bebop *

Really, I'm looking for a mature series, i.e. innuendo, language, suspenseful moments, violence, etc(though none of those specifically are required; I just want it to feel real) but I also want some very good emotion and character development. I mean Full Metal didn't have sexual content that much, but it's by far one of my favorite series. Case in point; I want something that feels human, (my qualm with Death Note is that the character development was disgustingly terrible, though the theme and mood of the show were great) and moves me as well. I appreciate the time any of you took to reply/read this. Thanks in advance. =^.^=

Shinn Kamiyra
01-04-2011, 04:29 AM
- Katanagatari (A 12-episode anime with an hour episode each. A somewhat unique show with an interesting art design, but a solid story and a good deal of character development. I can honestly say it was a very good anime that came out to an amazing end; something which I find to be something of a rarity now a days.)

- Bakemonogatari (A 12-episode, all-around awesome show. Doesn't have a particular storyline as compared to some other animes, yet proves strangely addicting with each episode as you find yourself drawn into the varying complex, and often hilarious, situations the main character is thrust into. Highly recommended.)

- Break Blade (A six-episode series with an hour episode each. Currently two episodes have been released. An alternate reality anime dealing with people born with the special born to manipulate quartz, which they utilize in advancing their civilization. More prominently this ability is used to move the giant mecha called Golems. The main story focuses around Rygart, a young man known as an "un-sorcerer", a rarity with no ability whatsoever to manipulate quartz. Upon responding to a request from an old friend of his, the king of a nearby country, he soon finds himself thrust into the middle of a war where he comes face-to-face with his best friend. While somewhat traditional in its elements, both its story line and emotional quality are solid; and the art is certainly a pleasure to look at as well. Recommend at least watching through one episode.)

- Code Geass/Code Geass R2 (An anime that will have you questioning from beginning to end where the main character is a good guy or a bad guy. Certainly no slouch on the action nor the heart-wrenching scenes that will have you glued to your seat to know what happens next. Strong use of character development with an amazing storyline to match.)

- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (The current generation of anime's definition of EPICNESS and MANLINESS. A high testosterone-filled ride that will have you dying for more from beginning to end. In terms of mecha battle, you ain't gonna get much better than this one. A unique and captivating storyline with solid character development. Episode eight will make you sad though... v_v. Must watch.)

- The Legend of the Legendary Heroes (Interesting, albeit a bit weird title I know, but a very decent anime with a compelling and interesting storyline. I recommend giving it about five episodes before you decide on continuing with it or not. One of those animes that you have to give some time before it truly begins to shine.)

MistaCloudStrife
01-04-2011, 05:21 AM
Mmmm... I'll hold off on full summaries, but I'll give suggestions. Just google the ones you may be interested in.

"Monster" - The most mature anime I've ever seen. Drama and some action. Very "real" characters.
"NHK ni Youkoso!" - About a neet. Very original, pretty mature. Dramatic.
"Gantz" - Very mature, lots of action, some drama. I would suggest the manga over the anime though.
"Berserk" - Very mature, tons of action, tons of drama, can get emotional despite the main character's badassery.
"Black Lagoon" - Mature, lots of action, characters are amazing, some drama.

The majority of these I would say have a more dark theme than your normal anime. I would say try out Black Lagoon first. It's probably the easiest to watch out of that list, the rest don't normally attract the average casual anime watcher.

Codename_Noir
01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Elfen Lied. It really fits the description, it's a pretty bloody show and it does have some sexual content but at the same time it's a reaaallly deep anime. And has some very "NO WAY" moments, judging from what you've wrote I think you will really like it. You should defo check it out! It's made me cry, laugh and scream at the tv screen all in one episode! It's one of them anime's. Also the artwork is cool, I think I might re-watch it sometime tonight. Here's a brief synopsis, it may sound a bit crazy but you should defo not be turned off that.

"A humanoid test subject known as a Diclonius escapes from a lab somewhere, protected by some sort of supernatural powers. She literally paves her way through a sea of blood of her own making and falls into a sea after a failed attempt of stopping her permanently with a sniper.
A while later, the two cousins Kouta and Yuka comes over a naked girl with a peculiar set of horns on her head standing in the ocean. Without the ability to say anything but "nyu" and looking quite lost and forelorn, the two take her with them to their home, name her... well, Nyu, and let her live with them.
What they quickly learn, however, is that some sort of organization is after Nyu. And Nyu herself seems to have another personality within her. Who is Nyu? WHAT is Nyu? And just what is going on? "

Kaname Shikara
01-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien-the characters have experiences that real life people have and it's so intense that it draws you in instantly. May make you want to cry at times and other times shocked. It's really drama filled and mature.

Son-Goran
01-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Welcome to N.H.K - as mentioned in an earlier thread - amazing show!

Serial Experiments Lain - a very demanding show as well, very original!

FLCL - this is more in the surreal (the term being somewhat ironic in regards to anime) end, but a very entertaining show!

FluffyDango
01-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Durarara
Witchblade
Mai-HiME

Emotional ones:
Angel Beats!
Clannad and After Story
ef - a tale of memories
Kimi ni Todoke
Otome Youkai Zakuro
Toradora

sunnyside
01-04-2011, 05:16 PM
If you like Wolfs Rain and Cowboy Bebop I"d suggest Trigun. I'm a little surprised someone else hasn't suggested it. Maybe it's getting old :(

Also Full Metal Panic. It's an interesting series with two seasons that are "normal" in the sense of sticking high schoolers into mecha (buy hey you liked Evangelion). But than it has a third season called "Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu" which focuses on the character interactions I think everyone enjoyed as opposed to the main plot.

GuyverKnight
01-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I would suggest Guyver: The Bio-Boosted Armor, it has some intense action, blood, some swearing but not excessive and only used when really necessary,and great character development :D
Though if you like Wolf's Rain (I do too) I would also suggest Ginga Desetsu Weed, though Ive only read about it and seen AMVs on YouTube it is a awesome series ^_^

under the rain
01-14-2011, 09:30 PM
I'd like to point out that innuendo, language, suspenseful moments, violence, etc. do not a mature narrative make. In fact, most of them make a story seem immature if anything.

Now, if you like Evangellion there's an anime that I haven't watched but that I hear is very similar called RahXephon. It was produced by Studio BONES, the same guys who did BEBOP and some other classics, so it's probably pretty good.

You seem to be into classics, so I'll suggest something I have seen. Trigun, an anime about a pacifist gunslinger. If you're into beautiful art and animation, it's not for you. The art is below-par and the animation is generally quite average with an exception of one scene at the beginning. Also, it has some Christian themes. I'm an atheist and had little problem with it, but if you're seriously offended by that sort of thing stay away. Same goes for pacifism; very strong anti-violence themes. Anyway, it's considered a near-classic, and I thoroughly enjoyed its interesting and lovable characters and the actual analysis of the values that it purveys.

MistaCloudStrife
01-15-2011, 05:38 AM
I'd like to point out that innuendo, language, suspenseful moments, violence, etc. do not a mature narrative make. In fact, most of them make a story seem immature if anything.

Now, if you like Evangellion there's an anime that I haven't watched but that I hear is very similar called RahXephon. It was produced by Studio BONES, the same guys who did BEBOP and some other classics, so it's probably pretty good.

You seem to be into classics, so I'll suggest something I have seen. Trigun, an anime about a pacifist gunslinger. If you're into beautiful art and animation, it's not for you. The art is below-par and the animation is generally quite average with an exception of one scene at the beginning. Also, it has some Christian themes. I'm an atheist and had little problem with it, but if you're seriously offended by that sort of thing stay away. Same goes for pacifism; very strong anti-violence themes. Anyway, it's considered a near-classic, and I thoroughly enjoyed its interesting and lovable characters and the actual analysis of the values that it purveys.

Yeaaaaaahhh... I don't know who you were addressing your post to, but I would just like to point out that there are a few ways to interpret the word "mature" expected from the OP. All of the anime I suggested are mature in the way that they are rated R for ages 17 and up. I'm assuming you're suggesting the OP meant for deep underlying concepts/themes? TONS of anime have this. I mean, really, the most immature of anime have some underlying themes hidden beneath their exterior. I mean, hell, you can take something as playful as Lucky Star, reach in and find all sorts of dialogue pertaining to human psychology. I'll repeat this, it's in TONS of anime.

And I would just like to point out that Trigun is PG-13. Just saying. And there are quite a few anime that represent pacifism in one way or another. An anime that represents this WAY more than Trigun would be Rurouni Kenshin. It goes way more in depth about it than Trigun ever could. Then you have numerous Gundam series, and all other types of anime that I could go on to list in detail. Some of the previously stated anime also have religious conflicts as well.

But yeah, your post looked like it was directed to everyone in this thread, so I have to defend myself; and so I did.

under the rain
01-15-2011, 08:31 AM
@MistaCloudStrife I wasn't addressing you.

Really, I'm looking for a mature series, i.e. innuendo, language, suspenseful moments, violence, etc

But it is deep, underlying themes that make a mature anime. I'll agree that pretty much every anime has a theme, but how many of them actually analyze them to the depth that something like Trigun does? I haven't seen Ruroni Kenshin so I can't speak for it, (It's too long, I won't watch anything over 50 episodes or so.) but are you honestly saying that Gundam analyzes the implications of pacifism to the extent that Trigun did? I know that many Gundam series espouse pacifism, but do they honestly analyze it?

As for the religious stuff, I was just warning that if he were seriously offended by an actual Christian message he should avoid it. (Evangellion's Christian motif, for example, is purely aesthetic.)

Hikarin
01-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Well, if you want something mature and very dramatic, there are several suggestions:

1) X ~ This anime is very deep and dark. The main character, Kamui must choose to either become a Dragon of Earth or a Dragon of the Heavens. If he becomes a Dragon of Earth, he will fight for the planets future but at the cost of mankind. It would be a revolution. However, if he became a Dragon of the Heavens, he would fight to put the future in the hands of mankind which would mean the devastation and destruction of the world.
X is personally one of my all time favourites. It is very dark, but good. I cried many times too!><

2) Kimi ga Nozomu Eien ~ This is dramatic on a different level. The main character, Haruka is in love with a boy. She finally goes out with him, but one day when he is late for a date, she is hit by a car. Haruka stays in a coma for several years and when she wakes up, everything has gone wrong because of her "best friend", Mitsuki. I really hated Mitsuki and even though parts of this got me crying and other parts got me angry (all in the spirit), I think I still liked it. :x

adam.skinner
01-28-2011, 03:27 PM
NANA (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4143) would be my top pick for a mature, dramatic, and emotional anime. The previously mentioned KNGE (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=896) is also a good bet.

Aside from that, check out the following:

Clannad After Story (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5841)
Koi Kaze (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1675)
Ga-Rei: Zero (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6113)
Black Lagoon (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=3395)
Planetes (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=895)

I think you'd also enjoy NKH ni Yousoso! (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4121), but it's not particularly dramatic or emotional.

Once you're done watching those, cleanse your palette with Ichigo Mashimaro (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=2787).

Tigris
03-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Took a few detours, but I just recently finished:
Love Hina: Hadn't seen it since I was 13, reall glad I went back over it heh.
Eureka Seven: I cannot BELIEVE I hadn't watched it all the way through a few years back, GOD it was so good.
Ga Rei Zero: Amazing...just...amazing.
Elfen Lied: I had heard so much about it two years back, but I put it off. That was a mistake, incredible series.
Blood + : Adult Swim advertised this one a decent amount a while back, but due to me being let down by Trinity Blood, I (wrongfully) addumed it'd be just as bad. Glad I watched this one, damn it hit home for me. If anyone thinks it's worth it(I gave it a fair shot and got about 7 episodes in) I might go back an finish Trinity Blood. Should I?
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: This one was especially interesting and fun, TONS of underlying and subconscious motifs. Once again, started it a few years back and never finished it. Glad I did. :3

So, with that being said, thank you for the suggestions. I repped you if I watched the series I saw and enjoyed them. To clarify(sorry, it was late when I typed this thread up so I didn't explain what I meant by "mature" heh) by what I meant by "mature", I was indicating mature content. Not cause I'm looking for anything explicit directly(though it wouldn't bother me), but because I have two reasons; A. Some series piss me off because they seem so 2-Dimensional, or at the very least not the kind of world I live in. I do factor in culture(as in the Japanese aren't profound in expressing love/physical contact) and such, but it makes me furious when I see things just pass by. Yes, I'm that guy that's screaming, "YOU LOVE HER! F*&^ING KISS HER! DON'T LET HER JUST WALK AWAY FOREVER!!" ^-^"" B. As stated earlier, almost all Anime(in some way, shape, fashion, or form) include mature or important themes/elements. I just prefer more mature oriented(or at least 18-30s age range characters) content because it seems to wrok well for the series I enjoy most. With that being saiiiiid:

I'm going to look into a few more series listed here, thanks everyone. If anyone has anymore suggestions, fire away please! Though I did enjoy Love Hina and Haruhi, those ones typically do not strike my fancy. I will give some of the ones mentioned here a watch though, seeing as they are highly rated. A suggestion for you all, if you're interested, is School Days. Very very dark, and NOT for the faint of heart/underage. It was based upon a dating sim, and many of the endings are downright gut-wrenching.(not for the gore, but for the drama) At any rate, I'm looking for more anime similar to Neon Genesis/FMA/Blood+/Eureka Seven/Code Geass/Samurai Champloo/etcetcetc. I'm really trying to find good story and compelling plot, along with realistic character design and just very deep feeling. I appreciate your time. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN :D

p.s. Sunnyside: I did try to get into Trigun, twice. I'd like to say I'm not biased and the art isn't the reason(though to be honest I know it is a factor), but the series just didn't draw me in. Religious themes aren't a problem. The characters just didn't click with me, though I think I'm crazy because I know HUNDREDS of people who tell me itp's the best or one of the best they've ever seen. I WILL look into Full Metal Panic! though, it's on of my Persian friend's favorite animes and I've heard alot of good things about it.
p.p.s. To anyone looking for a good Mecha series like Evangelion, I've heard, though can't confirm yet, that Rah Xephon is very good at capturing the Mechanime genre and is similar to Evangelion. Just a heads up to anyone interested, I'll judge for myself once I see it.
p.p.p.s. SUPER LONG POST, I apologize for anyone who had to suffer through reading this. X.X""

YuriEcchiGirl
03-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Witchblade
My-HiME
Elfen Lied
Code Geass
NANA

These are but five animes that I can suggest to you if you haven't already seen them ^^

Furore
03-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Most of the ones I'd recommend have been mentioned, but I'll also throw in Argento Soma.
It was an anime I'd never heard much about, but I saw the boxset in a hock shop for $10.

Complicated main character, a big twist I didn't see coming, an interesting cast and the usual mecha and the like. It was a rather dark series, but had a final episode showing the loose ends tied which was also kind of realistic.

YuriEcchiGirl
03-07-2011, 08:48 AM
FMA & Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
Gunslinger Girl

Three more I can offer you ^^

Ookami-San
03-10-2011, 12:04 PM
First of all...watch Spice and Wolf.
God do i love that animé..

Then check out Clannad and Clannad after story if you liked the first seasons :)

Trust me, i'm a doct-eh...animé fan :)

YuriEcchiGirl
03-12-2011, 02:29 AM
Gungrave
Trigun
Gun X Sword

Three more awesome show suggestions I cab offer you ^^