PDA

View Full Version : Eric messes with Gimp; Am I doing it right?

Skylar1
12-29-2010, 12:59 PM
So I decided to test out gimp and do a little bit of editing on this image into the avy/sig I have now

I'm still super new to using this thing, so I didn't change too much (mostly because I don't know how to yet. o_O; ). mainly just testing waters and such. lol..

do you think it's a good start so far? o///o; any advice would be awesomeness~ thankies. ^^

Archaic Devices
12-29-2010, 01:24 PM
I think it looks good, this is your first attempt right? As for the sig, I would just change the text because it seems out of place.

Skylar1
12-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah, this was my first attempt.

What should I do differently with the text though? :x

Archaic Devices
12-29-2010, 01:34 PM
The purple is just too bright with the rest of the sig, maybe use a lighter color or decrease the opacity. Maybe work around with different fonts to see which works best too.

Skilero
12-29-2010, 04:46 PM
EricGamer,

You tried to make the aura water? Water takes different programs if you ask me, but if you have enough experience under your belt you will get it soon enough. As for the text, you may want to get rid of it altogether, as Hatsune is somewhat out of place anyway. I wish you luck, as I can't find a way to get better at GIMP at all...

Regards,
SK

EDIT: I download brushes...d'oh!

Bulf
01-03-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't think it really needs text to be honest. The text is a little distracting but the rest of the sig is fine for your first try. If you did want text anyway though...I'm not really sure where to put that xD.

Skylar1
01-03-2011, 01:30 PM
k, so I messed around with gimp some more the other day, (had my friend teach me some more stuff), and I came up with this:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/Ericgamer1/Rintechno2.png

I did a little more to this one than the last. Took the picture of Rin on the synthesizer and used the wand tool, and put it on the neat background. Changed around the colors and lighting bit too, and I tried to experiment more with the text. The edges from where I had used the wand tool were a little.. meh, so I blurred it up. :x

Bulf
01-03-2011, 01:38 PM
This one is better. The text is pretty great actually, the font works well with it. The lines in the bg also make it kinda 3D looking which works out for everyone! To be honest the only thing really getting me are the edges...they look weird D: If they were a little different it'd be good to go. But good job!

Nanobyte
01-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Yep, the font is perfect for that background and suites the total image well.
However... the blur thingy... not a good idea, try manually removing the 'meh' pieces with an eraser next time, to make it look better.
It's better to put some effort in your work and make it look better than to finish it quickly. ;3

Alphabet
01-03-2011, 07:31 PM
A little jagged around the edges I say. Feathering a few pixels could do some good. What file extension are you using for your images(besides the default .xcf) JPEG isn't recommended, because of file compression and loss of quality. I'm asking because of the almost-obvious blocky pixels in both pieces.
ooshy ooshy ooshy

Skylar1
01-03-2011, 09:37 PM
What file extension are you using for your images(besides the default .xcf) JPEG isn't recommended, because of file compression and loss of quality. I'm asking because of the almost-obvious blocky pixels in both pieces.
ooshy ooshy ooshy
I only use .PNG

Alphabet
01-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Hmm. Well I guess it's the use of the blur. Blurs only spread the pixels by changing the opacities so it gets the blended effect. Blurs aren't always good. Imo, blurs are good for the background in moderation, not in foregrounds or in areas where you want to emphasize anything.
Learn to use the path tool. It will be your bestest bestest friend evahhh in Gimp. The path tool is also good for extractions.
Get around to using brushes over your extractions, especially fractals. I suggest downloading brushes from DeviantArt and Artician. To download brushes/scripts/etc, go to Gimp>Share>Gimp>2.0> Whatever folder containing the files you need and place the files into the corresponding folder.
Seriously though, your signatures are a bit blocky.
In Gimp, you have the options of hiding tools in your toolbox. Just go to Windows>Dockable Dialogs>Tools(Above Error Console) That way, you can manage what tools you will mainly use and what you do not use and let it become an eyesore.
ooshy ooshy ooshy

Aleyna
01-08-2011, 04:44 PM
I like the lighting on the girl's face, but it's a little too blue for me. The signature size is huge! Did you mean to make the piano to pop out of the border at the bottom?

Skylar1
07-30-2011, 08:28 PM