AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [News] Microsoft Messenger service to be put to rest

Copyright © 2013 FS FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish Ice Cream Bamboo Cup
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-19-2023 07:16 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default [News] Microsoft Messenger service to be put to rest

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    We will retire Messenger in all countries worldwide in the first quarter of 2013 (with the exception of mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available).
    Full article here.

As most of you already know Microsoft bought Skype for $8.5 billion in 2011 and now owns two instant messaging services. It only makes sense, that the software giant wants to get rid of one of them and now this time has come. In the first quarter of 2013, Windows Live Messenger (and all clients using the Microsoft Messenger service) will stop working in almost all countries around the world, putting an end to a service, that's been around since Windows 3.1.

To allow users to still use the old Messenger contacts, Microsoft has integrated the Messenger service into Skype, but before this can start working, you will have to link the two accounts together. To learn how, read the full article above.

NOTE: Sometimes Skype says it's up to date even when a new version is available. In case this happens to you, check your Skype's version and make sure it's at least 6.0. If it's not, download Skype from their website, run the setup and the installer will update your old installation.

The true fan demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2019 05:20 PM
    Threads

Default Re: [News] Microsoft Messenger service to be put to rest

Quote Originally Posted by FlashD View Post
    NOTE: Sometimes Skype says it's up to date even when a new version is available. In case this happens to you, check your Skype's version and make sure it's at least 6.0. If it's not, download Skype from their website, run the setup and the installer will update your old installation.
    I think the update issues are from where it's only limiting to checking for the version that is installed be it version 5 or whatever instead of checking outside of that.

Those who are using windows 8 with a microsoft account that they've used for MSN/WLM and the metro version of skype will most likely not have to bother with merging accounts since it would do it automatically.

Copyright © 2013 FS FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by demonix View Post
    I think the update issues are from where it's only limiting to checking for the version that is installed be it version 5 or whatever instead of checking outside of that.
    That was in the old days, now it works a bit differently. I for one could update from 5.10 to 6.0 by manually running the "Check for updates" function, but another friend of mine several weeks later couldn't. I'm not sure how the update checker works, but it's still quite buggy. o_o;;

Quote Originally Posted by demonix View Post
    Those who are using windows 8 with a microsoft account that they've used for MSN/WLM and the metro version of skype will most likely not have to bother with merging accounts since it would do it automatically.
    Wrong. They will have to do it as well. The Metro version leads you through the merging process the same way as the desktop one.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

This is retarded but it doesn't affect me at the same time.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

^That, except it does effect me.

Senior Member Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi has a reputation beyond repute Souhi's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2013 04:52 AM
    The land of hockey, beer, and a plague of corny stereotypes. Oh Canada.
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I haven't really used MSN/Windows Live Messenger/whateverthecrap they call it now in a while, but this still saddens me a bit. I met and kept in contact with a lot of friends on MSN/AF 5-6 years ago and I'll always miss those carefree days watching my taskbar light up yellow and hearing that persistent "Duh nuh nuh" noise as a kid. Tabbed windows, personalized backgrounds and themes, winks, being able to send voice clips and then obviously the voice/video integration, smilies and animated emoticons (all of these sound so trivial now). Good times.

--------------------------------------------

Yoo Jaesuk. Korea's loveable fool.
    --------------------------------------------
    Awesomely in your face set by Tatty!

"“All he could have; I made him just and right, sufficient to have stood, though free to fall.” - John Milton

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    ^That, except it does effect me.
    Well...I got Skype but Skype sucks in customization and smileys and all that.

I mean it that I will still be able to talk to all my friends.

Senior Member Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2014 08:06 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I still use MSN... :c
    人類は調和したのか?
    VY2V3 = Me | Kagamine Len Act 1 = You

The true fan demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix has a reputation beyond repute demonix's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2019 05:20 PM
    Threads

That was in the old days, now it works a bit differently. I for one could update from 5.10 to 6.0 by manually running the "Check for updates" function, but another friend of mine several weeks later couldn't. I'm not sure how the update checker works, but it's still quite buggy. o_o;;

Wrong. They will have to do it as well. The Metro version leads you through the merging process the same way as the desktop one.
    I've had to do a manual update going from the version 4 to 5 and from version 5 to 6.

The merging process is just a one click procedure on the metro version if you're using a microsoft account which it probably isn't in the desktop version.

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

Well I'm tired of having to switch between MSN and Skype all the time, so I for one, welcome this move from Microsoft.

I've always preferred MSN to Skype, but only because I'm more familiar with the former (it's kinda like that comfy, old sweater with holes in, but you wear it indoors anyway! XD). I prefer MSN for the customisations (like Gilgamesh said), but overall I find Skype better at managing group convos. I'm getting more famaliar with Skype over time and if I want to I can also use Skype via my TV while leaving my humble computer free for other stuff.

Cannibal Countess ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett's Avatar
    Gil
    In Love
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Heart Pocky
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2016 06:26 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChibiLovett Steam ID: ChibiLovett

I have Skype but I honestly almost never use it. Windows Live I use for one of my friends, but I have her other places as well so it's not that big of a deal. I still really like it, though. Even though it's mostly like Neukifly said, it's more because it's that worn out old thing that you've got the most memories with that you know the best. It'll be a shame to lose it. I'll just have to get used to Skype, I guess.
    She has no shadows, and she radiates beauty.

Slender body, and two eyes like ebony.

Her spirit's golden, and her mind's a mystery.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

What a load of crap. I dont use MSN or Skype, my MSN is on through Digsby [a program like Trillian] so now I can only take to people on MSN unless I open ANOTHER program? Screw this

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Senior Member wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts PPG Bubbles Aria Neko
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2014 04:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: wizzadoo

good bye all alternatives .... now M$ totally screwed them ... and tnx to skype closed protocol, it won't be implemented in other programs.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wizzanator View Post
    good bye all alternatives .... now M$ totally screwed them ... and tnx to skype closed protocol, it won't be implemented in other programs.
    Is it just me or are Micro$oft heavily going the way of another certain high-profile company that enforces such strict closed-source use of its $oftware? Windows 8 isn't helping my opinion either. I hate that OS' GUI with a passion, workarounds or not (-coughs at Flash- >_>)

I'm starting to understand why there are so many Open-Source Nazis in the Linux community (including a friend of mine who keeps harassing me to start using something called XMPP or something ...). The way that Steam is going with increasing Mac and Linux support of its games, I'm beginning to think that in a few years my hard disk will just consist of copies of Ubuntu... since by that point everything will likely have good OpenGL support on those platforms.

But that's heavily off topic.

I don't particularly mind Skype, per-se. Yes, I used to prefer MSN, but that was pre-MSN 12 (where they entirely changed the thing and removed everything that I used it for, and added everything that I hate.) So in hindsight it's their fault it died because they turned it into a stupid porta-Facebook program. Plus everyone I know uses Skype now, so meh.

Goodbye, 10 years of my life. el oh el.
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Senior Member wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin View Post
    I don't particularly mind Skype, per-se. Yes, I used to prefer MSN, but that was pre-MSN 12 (where they entirely changed the thing and removed everything that I used it for, and added everything that I hate.) So in hindsight it's their fault it died because they turned it into a stupid porta-Facebook program. Plus everyone I know uses Skype now, so meh.
    I pretty much never used M$ program for MSN, always went with alternatives that were less cliché and had only chatting stuff ... I don't need to play games in it, or draw in it ... or have dunno how many smilies ... just the basic stuff.

And I have a feeling Skype is gonna follow that road too ... sooner or later.

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 06:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

Unless you run Linux, in which case the latest you can get is a 4-series release, and the latest one that actually works properly with all features is an old 2-series release.

Shouldn't be surprised, though- poor MS support on a non-Windows system? Easy to anticipate, I admit.

I wonder if Pidgin can hook into a Skype account... I know it used to be possible to some extent, though the details and features available are a bit fuzzy in my memory...

Is it just me or are Micro$oft heavily going the way of another certain high-profile company that enforces such strict closed-source use of its $oftware?
    You're looking for the term "closed ecosystem" rather than "closed source", since MS has been a closed-source company its entire life, with only token exceptions here and there, like some code to help virtualized Windows systems run on top of Linux VM hosts. But, yes, semantics aside, you've got the right idea, more or less.
    Windows 8 isn't helping my opinion either. I hate that OS' GUI with a passion, workarounds or not (-coughs at Flash- >_>)
    Nevermind the GUI, but take a look at UEFI, which in practice will keep you from installing your own OS on hardware sold with Windows 8. Ostensibly for security, but shims have already been found here and there to bypass it, just not very easily.
    I'm starting to understand why there are so many Open-Source Nazis in the Linux community.
    We only look crazy until you begin to glipse the briefest, first hints of understanding. Personally, I'm more of an open-standards guy myself, but my ilk tend to bunch up around open-source and free-software types out of sympathetic philosophies and to achieve common goals.
    (including a friend of mine who keeps harassing me to start using something called XMPP or something ...).
    That's the idea of an open standard (XMPP). The idea is that since the format/method of transmission is free to implement and is well documented, any program can implement it easily, given a little developer interest. The actual act of chatting or sending an IM can (in theory) become platform/OS/application agnostic that way. The next time somebody complains about Adobe Flash versus HTML5 or about MS Office formats versus the ODF standard, remember that this is what they're talking about, albeit on an arguably even greater scale.
    The way that Steam is going with increasing Mac and Linux support of its games, I'm beginning to think that in a few years my hard disk will just consist of copies of Ubuntu... since by that point everything will likely have good OpenGL support on those platforms.
    God, I hope it's not Ubuntu. Ubuntu sucks. Among the Linux systems, Ubuntu is the guy who kept the training wheels on his bike well into high school, and it eventually didn't even make the bike easier for him, but just got in the way and make him look like a dork. Kind of like the old MS Office helpers, like Clippy, the world's most hated paperclip.

That, and they constantly show hints of wishing they also had a closed-ecosystem for developers and an envy for Apple, and all the crying Linux fanboys in the world merely slow down their march towards an interface meant to condescend to users. They even made MS's Metro mistake before MS did, only Canonical (the company that makes Ubuntu) called it Unity instead. Awful damn thing...

Skype has been useful to me as a VOIP program, but mainly because you can cheaply get a number with voicemail, which I deliberately do not setup on my cellphone in order to avoid so very many hassles. Very convenient when you need to give out contact information for a job or an organization or whatever.

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsterisk! View Post
    I wonder if Pidgin can hook into a Skype account... I know it used to be possible to some extent, though the details and features available are a bit fuzzy in my memory...
    They already pointed on their blog that atm that's kinda impossible to do and stay open source :/ ...

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsterisk! View Post
    Nevermind the GUI, but take a look at UEFI, which in practice will keep you from installing your own OS on hardware sold with Windows 8. Ostensibly for security, but shims have already been found here and there to bypass it, just not very easily.

God, I hope it's not Ubuntu. Ubuntu sucks. Among the Linux systems, Ubuntu is the guy who kept the training wheels on his bike well into high school, and it eventually didn't even make the bike easier for him, but just got in the way and make him look like a dork. Kind of like the old MS Office helpers, like Clippy, the world's most hated paperclip.

That, and they constantly show hints of wishing they also had a closed-ecosystem for developers and an envy for Apple, and all the crying Linux fanboys in the world merely slow down their march towards an interface meant to condescend to users. They even made MS's Metro mistake before MS did, only Canonical (the company that makes Ubuntu) called it Unity instead. Awful damn thing...
    I use Ubuntu.

BUT!! Do not fear, for even from the screenshots I saw of Unity I immediately knew I would hate it (and rightly so). I therefore am stuck waaaaaaaay back on 10.04 LTS (with my laptop for some reason refusing to update the kernel ... it does that randomly, it'll probably work next week.)

I just prefer the GNOME gui (I actually prefer whatever GUI used in xubuntu but I don't have that any more ... I think it was XDE or something ... can't remember. you'll correct me). I'm no *nix genius but I don't particularly mind ctrl+T'ing a terminal and looking stuff up on Google when I need anything done. >_>

Also I learned very early not to buy anything that has OS and computer hardware tied together (primarily OEM-systemed computers), except for laptops (because building a laptop from scratch is pretty much impossible/not worth the effort). I will not ever purchase any hardware/W8 tied deal-things. Because if Micro$oft are going to try to prevent me from dual-booting a second OS (such as ubuntu) if that is my own personal preference .... then two thumbs down.

It's so off-topic it hurts, but I already said my opinion of the whole MSN/Skype thing. Once upon a time I didn't care, but as time's gone by I've kinda come to understand why people have their opinions.

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 06:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

Quote Originally Posted by wizzanator View Post
    They already pointed on their blog that atm that's kinda impossible to do and stay open source :/ ...
    Oh, poppycock! Were such an assertion completely true, then LibreOffice wouldn't handle any of the MS Office formats well. It's possible, just inordinately difficult. To be clear here, I'm not talking full feature implementation, but maybe a piece here, a piece there. It wouldn't replace the proper Skype client, but was more an idle though of mine. The reason it came up in my mind was that Pidgin already works with MSN messenger, so might later work with the newer Skype chat feature. I don't expect it to IM 100% faithfully with Skype clients, and I won't even hope for VOIP compatibility, which is the much more difficult of the two.

Anyway, as I said, it was a passing thought, not a suggestion that everyone migrate over to Pidgin or else. I probably won't move over completely, either, but I might install it as an additional option going forwards.

I use Ubuntu.

BUT!! Do not fear, for even from the screenshots I saw of Unity I immediately knew I would hate it (and rightly so). I therefore am stuck waaaaaaaay back on 10.04 LTS (with my laptop for some reason refusing to update the kernel ... it does that randomly, it'll probably work next week.)
    Lucid will eventually be put out to pasture, though, so I'd recommend a move to Debian or Mint sometime. (I prefer Puppy and Slackware, of course, but Debian isn't bad, and you'd be used to the package management at least.)
    I just prefer the GNOME gui
    [fanboy]Some overachiever made a GNOME/MATE Puppy not too long ago actually...[/fanboy]
    (I actually prefer whatever GUI used in xubuntu but I don't have that any more ... I think it was XDE or something ... can't remember. you'll correct me).
    XFCE. Plain old Debian will let you install that too.
    [fanboy]The next version of Puppy coming up ("Saluki", I think) will be built with the XFCE interface, actually.[/fanboy]
    I'm no *nix genius but I don't particularly mind ctrl+T'ing a terminal and looking stuff up on Google when I need anything done. >_>
    The shell script is your friend, once you've been acquainted.
    Also I learned very early not to buy anything that has OS and computer hardware tied together (primarily OEM-systemed computers), except for laptops (because building a laptop from scratch is pretty much impossible/not worth the effort). I will not ever purchase any hardware/W8 tied deal-things. Because if Micro$oft are going to try to prevent me from dual-booting a second OS (such as ubuntu) if that is my own personal preference .... then two thumbs down.
    The problem with UEFI is that Intel is also lobbying for it, along with a whole host of other hardware companies and motherboard manufacturers, so buying anything without UEFI going ahead is going to be nigh impossible. Just try to look for one that explicitly state it'll let you disable "Secure Boot".
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 11-26-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Mr. Shuttleworth's ugliness is compelling.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I use Ubuntu.

It's xfce4. You know you can use 12.04 AND use xfce, right? None of that godawful unity nonsense. Takes some effort to root the last bits of it out (the scroll bars are a bit stupid by default), but it's not too hard.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    It's xfce4. You know you can use 12.04 AND use xfce, right? None of that godawful unity nonsense. Takes some effort to root the last bits of it out (the scroll bars are a bit stupid by default), but it's not too hard.
    Well, when I last tried any updated version of Ubuntu (this was back on 11.04 and 11.10 or something, actually), I found via Google that it was possible to disable Unity and reinstall Gnome.

... I tried that, and found that it was still broken as frell. Also some general design changes and other such things since Lucid don't sit well with me which is why I'm still using it (my first experience with Linux was with an old build of Xubuntu so therefore it's understandable that I prefer the older gnome layouts and lack the patience to faff about installing gnome / xfce to newer versions of ubuntu..)

When the LTS for Lucid runs out I'll just have to look at my options there and then. Too lazy otherwise. Yay.

Gil
    Lonely
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Keep it on topic people. If you want to discuss Linux and desktop environments you can always create a thread for that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information