AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: those big round eyes

Senior Member darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Decepticons Leo AK47
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-20-2014 04:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: darkwolf1911

Default those big round eyes

for some reasion i finde the anime cherecters with the big round eyes some what disturbing and cute at the same time. i wonder why they have such big eyes
    live life to the fullest because you are not guarantied a tomorrow

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: those big round eyes

They have big eyes so that they can see better in the dark. Anime Japan is really dark. Think about it. Their sun is a drawing. Drawings don't emit light. And their power grid is also a drawing, which is a pretty cruddy material that doesn't conduct electricity very well. So they have blackouts all the time. Hence they need to see in the dark.

You have no idea how many times they need to shoot a scene sometimes because the lamps keep going out. It's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Eris; 01-08-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

3. Likes Skilero, wolfgirl90 liked this post
    Senior Member Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty has a reputation beyond repute Matty's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Green Saber Storm Trooper Beer
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 01:26 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MattyG69

Not to mention they shoot electric bolts out of them everytime they give a scowl at someone they don't like; I've tried that, but my eyes are too small.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

For one, the eyes are drawn purposefully large to make it easier to communicate the emotions of the character to the viewer.

Actual people's emotions manifest themselves in subtle features of a person's face; wrinkles around the mouth, small creases around the eyes, etc. The faces of anime characters (as you would know if you ever tried to draw one) are basically composed of crude symbols to substitute for facial features (a line for a mouth, another line for the nose), so the eyes have to do most of the work when an artist wants to show what the character is feeling.

To take a case in point, if you look at anime or manga closely, you'll see that sometimes the only thing that differentiates the same character in two different emotional states are the way the eyes are shaded. If the irises are drawn bubbly or sparkly, it means he or she is happy; if the irises are opaque or shaded dark (or the pupils are drawn contracted) it means that he or she is angry or upset. The eyes are drawn exaggeratedly large to draw our attention to them as indicators of the character's emotional state.

Also, human beings instinctively associate large eyes with children, and therefore with childlike qualities like cuteness or innocence. Children have a smaller, more underdeveloped skeletal structure than adults, but since the size of your eyeballs don't change throughout your development, they have eyes that are large relative to the rest of their face; which make them look like they have big eyes. Which is, I suppose, one of the reasons why some people find the sexualization of anime characters so disturbing.

The technique is not actually unique to Japanese animation; you'll notice that Western cartoon characters like Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse also have huge eyes.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 01-08-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

6. Likes Gjallarhorn liked this post
    Senior Member Derrick has a reputation beyond repute Derrick has a reputation beyond repute Derrick has a reputation beyond repute Derrick has a reputation beyond repute Derrick has a reputation beyond repute Derrick has a reputation beyond repute Derrick has a reputation beyond repute Derrick has a reputation beyond repute Derrick has a reputation beyond repute Derrick has a reputation beyond repute Derrick has a reputation beyond repute Derrick's Avatar
    Gil
    Woot
    Gifts Sliced Bread Bat
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-08-2012 09:00 PM
    Threads

What did I just walk into?

AF's Messiah. The Second Coming. Jesu Christo. .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Heart Rainbow Ribbon Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2014 01:25 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sev121993 PSN ID: sev121993 Steam ID: sev121993

Why, all the better to see you with, my dear.

Member TheWired is on a distinguished road TheWired's Avatar
    Gil
    Hacker
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2015 07:04 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Just Google "anime" + "ethnic bleaching"... you'll get the answer.

Member ChaosShadow1 is an unknown quantity at this point ChaosShadow1's Avatar
    Dead
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Be Mine
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-21-2012 09:03 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

.............so they can find there next victim easier
    alone...lost my kamiki...alone forever...i hate love..

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post

If it's a bar, I feel a joke coming on.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

The Savage. -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-25-2012 04:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post

Welcome to AF bro XD

The Broken Wing UltimaChaos is just really nice UltimaChaos is just really nice UltimaChaos is just really nice UltimaChaos is just really nice UltimaChaos is just really nice UltimaChaos's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-09-2012 04:12 PM
    Escaping your sight everytime you turn around.
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datenshi View Post
    For one, the eyes are drawn purposefully large to make it easier to communicate the emotions of the character to the viewer.

Actual people's emotions manifest themselves in subtle features of a person's face; wrinkles around the mouth, small creases around the eyes, etc. The faces of anime characters (as you would know if you ever tried to draw one) are basically composed of crude symbols to substitute for facial features (a line for a mouth, another line for the nose), so the eyes have to do most of the work when an artist wants to show what the character is feeling.

To take a case in point, if you look at anime or manga closely, you'll see that sometimes the only thing that differentiates the same character in two different emotional states are the way the eyes are shaded. If the irises are drawn bubbly or sparkly, it means he or she is happy; if the irises are opaque or shaded dark (or the pupils are drawn contracted) it means that he or she is angry or upset. The eyes are drawn exaggeratedly large to draw our attention to them as indicators of the character's emotional state.

Also, human beings instinctively associate large eyes with children, and therefore with childlike qualities like cuteness or innocence. Children have a smaller, more underdeveloped skeletal structure than adults, but since the size of your eyeballs don't change throughout your development, they have eyes that are large relative to the rest of their face; which make them look like they have big eyes. Which is, I suppose, one of the reasons why some people find the sexualization of anime characters so disturbing.

The technique is not actually unique to Japanese animation; you'll notice that Western cartoon characters like Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse also have huge eyes.
    Yeah, that's what I was always under the impression of.

Senior Member vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Gifts Strawberry Bleach Zangetsu Bleach Zangetsu
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-09-2023 09:01 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

So they can express themselves a heck lot easier.
    Looks kinda cute anyway....
    Previously Darkfire Knight....

Closed Thread

Thread Information