AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sword Art Online (2012) Review

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Sword Art Online (2012) Review

Sword Art Online is a phenomenon. Personal opinion aside, Sword Art Online's status as an iconic anime in the anime industry is an undeniable fact. Why is this? Is it due to the outstanding story Sword Art Offers? Rather, have you ever met an anime fan who has not at least heard of this stigma? The success of Sword Art Online and how known it is actually goes deeper than quality or how well the story was executed, the stigma itself rose to new heights due to the demand for video game type of plots and the conflicting entities that surround this work.

Join Kirito, Asuna and company in a journey in the dangerous RPG known as Sword Art Online. Grab a few potions, and happy sailing. This is, Sword Art Online:

Before I get into the review I really should come out and admit my opinion on this piece of work before getting ahead of myself. I truly did not hate Sword Art Online. I thought the series itself was nowhere near the level of hate it often receives from an almost cringe worthy fanbase. While I cannot deny Sword Art Online's execution and story was not amazing and it really didn't offer anything great that other anime have offered better, though the remarks calling it the worst anime ever are unbelievably not accurate. Rather, if this is the worst anime ever created then anime's position as a medium is really secure. On the flip side, Sword Art Online was not a masterpiece. Actually, I'd say it did more wrong than it actually did right. The story of entering a video game and being in danger of death or injury is NOT original nor unique. Though, I feel like out of all the titles I've seen of a person or persons getting trapped in virtual reality, Sword Art Online's success may just be the highest on the totem pole. Meet Kirigaya Kazuto, or Kirito. Kirito is a fourteen year old who considers himself a solo player meaning he usually doesn't join guilds or participate with other players. Though, that does change as the season goes on. Upon meeting a colorful cast and Asuna, Kirito joins the fight and tries to survive this deadly game. Can the love between Kirito and Asuna blossom into something great? Will the two survive the deadly RPG? If you have the HP to find out, give the series a shot.

This is where Sword Art Online shined for me. The soundtrack of Sword Art Online was able to assist me chugging through some poorly executed episodes that I felt could of been executed better with more effort brought forth. While not every episode was bad, some of them only shined with the soundtrack presented or the characters that surround this franchise. Plus, the opening of Sword Art Online is truly amazing. It gets you pumped, wanting more. You begin getting the song in your head hoping it won't be forgotten quickly. If anything, Sword Art Online's soundtrack deserves some praise. It was in fact, good.

While not all were great, the characters in Sword Art Online were fine. Kirito was not an amazing main lead, though he gets the job done when you look at what this series presents itself as. Asuna started off really great, though I felt like she lost a lot of spark when she began to depend on Kirito and his assistance like we've seen in other anime. Personally, Rika shined the most. I felt like her character was the best Sword Art Online offered, though characters comes down to personal opinion and how you feel for the character. I wouldn't be shocked if you loved every character that surrounds this stigma, though disliking every character is also not a void opinion.

Did I enjoy Sword Art Online? Well, yes and no. I'm in the minority, but the second arc for me saved Sword Art Online because I felt due to how it was handled, plot holes were far less existent and Suguha was my second favorite character of the anime. I was less bored of the anime overall when it hit that point, though the first arc's final episodes were pretty fun. I'd say overall, Sword Art Online's enjoyment was a 6/10. Not great or really all that good, but a fair rating for an anime that was enjoyable when it was good, but ugly when it wasn't doing well.

Should you watch this? Well, yes. I'd say watch it for the experience and the easy to approach story. It isn't great, but it was a pretty interesting idea that may of been executed better if handled differently. If you do watch it, try not to be sucked in and get addicted, you may just end up like Kirito.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2024 09:27 AM
    Threads

Default Re: Sword Art Online (2012) Review

I agree it is not a masterpiece, but I did enjoy the first series. The first half of the second series, with a murder who kills from within the virtual world, was better. Unfortunately the second half of the second series left me cold. No one was at risk. So what was the point of the story? Make us cry for some fictional sick girl? It didn't work.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I agree it is not a masterpiece, but I did enjoy the first series. The first half of the second series, with a murder who kills from within the virtual world, was better. Unfortunately the second half of the second series left me cold. No one was at risk. So what was the point of the story? Make us cry for some fictional sick girl? It didn't work.

People being at risk was never supposed to be the point of that arc anyway so we need to judge it for what it was as a piece of work and I actually do believe that arc was much stronger than most of what Sword Art has to offer. It really boils down to opinions and If you can get attached to the girl. Luckily, I was able to.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2024 09:27 AM
    Threads

But without anyone at risk, there really is no suspense. At least not like with series 1 or the first half of series 2.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    But without anyone at risk, there really is no suspense. At least not like with series 1 or the first half of series 2.
    Suspense doesn't = quality.

Though, I can why you'd prefer the arcs with suspense.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information