AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How many classics have you read?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never read one.

0 0%
  • I read only classics.

0 0%
  • Over ten

4 80.00%
  • Under ten

0 0%
  • I don't enjoy classics at all, but I read them when I'm assigned to. Or when I'm bored.

1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Closed Thread

Thread: Critical comparison of classics

Senior Member Leorina has a reputation beyond repute Leorina has a reputation beyond repute Leorina has a reputation beyond repute Leorina has a reputation beyond repute Leorina has a reputation beyond repute Leorina has a reputation beyond repute Leorina has a reputation beyond repute Leorina has a reputation beyond repute Leorina has a reputation beyond repute Leorina has a reputation beyond repute Leorina has a reputation beyond repute Leorina's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-20-2008 07:55 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Take a turn at Lake Eerie, then swing by the Bermuda Triangle, and a right at the nearest McDonald's
    Threads

Default Critical comparison of classics

Hee-hee, alliteration.

Friends, members, -anime- countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to give you the chance to write a detailed comparison of two classics you have read either recently or what seems like forever ago.

Rules:
    1) I'd prefer having your posts with the minimum of three paragraphs. It'll be simple enough for those who don't mind typing or those who enjoyed their classics enormously.
    -The first paragraph can either start with an introduction or the first classic analysis.
    -If you started with an introduction, then your second paragraph will be your first review. If you've already written the first review, then your second paragraph will begin the second book's review.
    -Your third -or final paragraph- must bring all the points you've brought up earlier and then note the differences or similarities between the themes, plots, motifs, etc.

2) For the thread's sake, try not to start your paragraphs with, "I liked this book because..." That's not detailed and it's equivalent to a second graders book report. It's not too difficult to come up with a new sentence every now and then, so why not try, "The book, [insert title here], really grabbed my attention with its..."?
    See? I just made "I liked this book" to something that's more interesting to read.

3) The definition of "classics" is as follows: "An artist, author, or work generally considered to be of the highest rank or excellence, especially one of enduring significance; a work recognized as definitive in its field; its message is universal, or something any person from any group can identify with."
    So, now that I've defined it, I ask you to refrain from the question: "What's a classic" and/or "Is my book a classic?"

4) To spice things up, I decided that once your reviews and final analysis is complete, you may -or may not- start a debate on the last poster's choices. Pretend for a moment that so-and-so gave a positive review on Lord of the Flies; the post following can take up so-and-so's opinion and disagree.

5) Swearing during a book discussion will be frowned upon, as well the use of "That's stupid (etc etc.)" If you wholeheartedly disagree, try to be refined about saying so.

I'm also adding a poll of how many books you read per month.

Well, I've laid down the law. Time to start. I'll be posting my comparison later on.
    + YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

I am leery of this, as it sounds suspiciously like someone fishing for material to finish their English homework.

Depending on how this ends up by the time I get home and have no rate limits I may contribute properly.

Hee hee, alliteration certainly helps your innocence, though.
    Last edited by Sanosuke23; 01-23-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 04:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

Sorry, I got out of class 3 hours ago, and I aint goin back!

Not that this isn't a neat idea or anything, just too much work.
    A MaruDashi Creation

Senior Member sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2019 01:15 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: pppascal

Ughhh I feel like I'm in English class. Though I do like this thread. : )
    The rules are a bit too detailed for me though. So I'm going to break them.

Catcher in the Rye and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
    I find Holden quite like Huck. It seems to me that both these books have the same ideas, but they are set in different time periods. Both Holden and Huck question the society around them. They are both adolescents. The difference between them is that Huck took more actions to change the society around him.

Okay I'm bored now. Not gonna type more. -_- Maybe later.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

"No one with a life is going to do this." - Capitan Obvious
    Last edited by Manhattan_Project_2000; 01-23-2008 at 07:25 PM.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    "No one with a life is going to do this." - Capitan Obvious
    So, when should we expect yours?

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke23 View Post
    So, when should we expect yours?
    I am far too busy between creating AF-themed M:tG cards and playing Monster Hunter Freedom 2 to even attempt this.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Closed Thread

Thread Information