AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Evangelion live action movie, that isn't even called Evangelion

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2019 08:41 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Evangelion live action movie, that isn't even called Evangelion

The name of the movie is Pacific Rim. When I first started looking at the trailer, I just thought it was a generic cool giant robot movie. However as I watched more I became completely convinced that this is the creator's attempt to make a live action Evangelion movie, without the proper license for that series. So basically it's got a lot of the same plot elements as Evangelion (albeit not identical, as most if not all of the religious imagery is removed), but the names and some other "facts" about the Evangelion world aren't quite the same. Instead of "Angels", they have "Kaiju" (which is actually a Japanese word for large monsters). For the giant mecha, they have "Jaegers" instead of "Evangelions". But let me point out to you where the plot points are blatantly the same as Evangelion (I got this info out of the the trailers for the movie).

The enemy monsters are from the earth (not space)

The Jaegers that are piloted require a mind link with the pilots.

The deeper the mind link to the pilot, the better the pilot and his (or her) Jaeger are able to fight. As it says in one of the trailers "The deeper the bond, the better you fight." (sounds a lot like "sync rate" in NGE)

The pilot suits appear to be filled with some kind of liquid (sort of like the LCL in the cockpits of the EVAs in NGE)

A line from the movie that's quoted in most of the trailers is "To fight monsters, we created monsters of our own".

A couple of the Jaegers have shoulder rails (just like the EVAs do)

One of the Jaegers, called Jaeger Crimson Typhoon, looks like a direct knockoff of EVA Unit 00. http://www.panpacificdefense.com/fil...sonTyphoon.jpg

If you look closely at the above picture near its left shoulder fin (left from its view, right from your view looking at it), you'll see something that says NGE (I can only assume a direct reference to Neon Genesis Evangelion). I've posted a cropped in picture so you can more easily see that.

Also when I listened closely to one of the trailers I swear I can hear someone calling the project for making these mechas, "Project EVA" (but I might be mishearing that, as it was difficult to hear what they were saying at that point).

Here's the page with all the trailers http://www.pacificrimmovie.net/trailer/
    Last edited by Animedude5555; 07-04-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Senior Member Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Dodge Viper GTS Hyundai Coupe Yellow Ribbon
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-10-2017 10:46 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bad_Prelude

Default Re: Evangelion live action movie, that isn't even called Evangelion

Hmmm... Been a while
    Sit back some time and simply ask yourself, [Link]->"Do you even lift, bro?"<-[Link]

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure if this is serious or not because anyone who is remotely versed in Evangelion would know the Evas are biological. Pacific Rim has big robots, not giant creatures done up in armor.

Senior Member RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan has a reputation beyond repute RainyDayMan's Avatar
    Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2014 11:12 PM
    Charleston, South Carolina, Confederate States of America
    Threads

It still looks worth going to see.

"Let us enjoy the Rain together. My Umbrella is always open for you. Knowing me is knowing never having to say goodbye. It never stops raining, does it?"

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Angelic Anathema View Post
    I'm not sure if this is serious or not because anyone who is remotely versed in Evangelion would know the Evas are biological. Pacific Rim has big robots, not giant creatures done up in armor.
    I think they TRIED to link it to Evangelion though, as I said without making it TOO similar, as they don't have the license to make Evangelion anything, but are trying to reach an audience who are EVA fans, using plot points and ideas that are close enough to Evangelion that fans of Evangelion will recognize it for what it is (an attempt Evangelion based live action movie), but without it being so similar as to get their asses sued by Gainax.

If you have any question about if it was based on Evangelion, just read each of the specific similarities I listed in my first post. And the one that screams "This is a live action knockoff of the Evangelion franchise" the most to me is the design of one of the mecha looking like a BLATANT RIPOFF of EVA Unit-00. http://www.panpacificdefense.com/fil...sonTyphoon.jpg

I think the intended audience that the makers of this movie are targeting is specifically the audience who wanted to see a live action Evangelion movie, and was disappointed when that movie fell though and didn't get made. This movie is aimed at THAT audience, but without going so far as to actually call it Evangelion (and also making a few minor changes, such as changing the giant mecha from bio-mechs to fully mechanical units, as well as a few other small changes, while keeping other plot points like mind-links syncing the pilots to their mecha for control of their mecha) in an effort to avoid a lawsuit from Gainax, but not so much of a change that it would be unrecognizable to the intended audience of Evangelion fans.
    Last edited by Animedude5555; 07-05-2013 at 01:58 AM.

WOW!!!! Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2023 04:18 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WootenClen

Just cos its got big robots doesnt mean its evangelion. They could just as well be ripping off bokurano.

~Neko Neko Neko~ KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Cookie Four Leaf Clover
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-19-2014 02:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

lolwut?

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

No one in hollywood cares about Evangelion nor the target audience that was sad the live action was never made.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Senior Member Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

has no one watched the video i posted?
    Hmmm... Been a while
    Sit back some time and simply ask yourself, [Link]->"Do you even lift, bro?"<-[Link]

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Dragonball Evolution should have done what you're accusing Pacific Rim o doing. Also, they should have named it "Pacific Power Rangers".

~Neko Neko Neko~ KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls has a reputation beyond repute KyouFalls's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleohano View Post
    has no one watched the video i posted?
    The video you posted made the OP invalid.

Senior Member Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Cake Lie Soul Eater Logo Little Big Planet Sackboy Kratos
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-23-2013 11:42 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I laugh at this.

Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by KyouFalls View Post
    The video you posted made the OP invalid.
    thats why i posted it lol
    Hmmm... Been a while

Senior Member Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts One Piece Mugiwara 143 - Snorlax 001 - Bulbasaur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-12-2014 04:11 PM
    Threads

Once again, AD5555 proves he's an idiot. I hope no one takes this seriously.

This post is now about corn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ear-of-corn.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	77775Click image for larger version

Name:	corn_wide-19abc141a549731537944a9422c0de8092924338-s6-c30.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	77776

Name:	Honey_Select_Sweet_Corn.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	77777

15. Likes Ranshiin, Kaleohano liked this post
    Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Animedude5555 View Post
    One of the Jaegers, called Jaeger Crimson Typhoon, looks like a direct knockoff of EVA Unit 00. http://www.panpacificdefense.com/fil...sonTyphoon.jpg
    I wonder if the issue here is that you haven't been exposed to a lot of mecha stuff other than NGE? There is a LOT of it both within Anime/Manga and elsewhere in fiction and games. As noted that thing looks more Battletech ish, and is it just me or does that right arm look a lot like the arm on a space marine dread from 40k?

What made NGE stand out from the others was its sissy boy protagonist, jailbait co-stars, the religious/philosophy stuff, crazy biological things instead of regular 'mechs, and massive mental issues all over the place. Actually you can find those elements elsewhere, NGE just features all of them in a dizzying mix and then turns it up to 11. Anyway, I don't get the impression that Pacific Rim has ANY of that.

As for a live action Eva movie I don't know if that would fly in the US, and I for one don't need to see a live action version of the spooge scene.
    Last edited by sunnyside; 07-05-2013 at 04:14 PM.

17. Likes Kaleohano liked this post
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleohano View Post
    thats why i posted it lol
    soz

Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    I wonder if the issue here is that you haven't been exposed to a lot of mecha stuff other than NGE? There is a LOT of it both within Anime/Manga and elsewhere in fiction and games. As noted that thing looks more Battletech ish, and is it just me or does that right arm look a lot like the arm on a space marine dread from 40k?

What made NGE stand out from the others was its sissy boy protagonist, jailbait co-stars, the religious/philosophy stuff, crazy biological things instead of regular 'mechs, and massive mental issues all over the place. Actually you can find those elements elsewhere, NGE just features all of them in a dizzying mix and then turns it up to 11. Anyway, I don't get the impression that Pacific Rim has ANY of that.

As for a live action Eva movie I don't know if that would fly in the US, and I for one don't need to see a live action version of the spooge scene.
    The shoulder rails that looked like they were meant to go on vertical launch rails, are a unique mecha feature of NGE. No other mecha series has this specific design feature on their mechs, as far as I know.

Furthermore, their suits are filled with a special liquid, much like the cockpits in NGE. I know of no other mecha series, other than NGE, that involves the use of a special liquid filling either the cockpits or pilot suits. Again, this appears to be unique to NGE, before Pacific Rim came along.

What about the mind link thing they are talking about in Pacific Rim. Only other show that has such is NGE. All other mecha shows have mechs that are either controlled with joysticks, or with arm and leg mounted motion sensors (well Pacific Rim has those too, but it also has a mind link system, that prior to Pacific Rim the only mecha show or movie that had a mind link system was NGE).

That's THREE FOR THREE! As far as I'm concerned this IS a live action version of NGE. Which is pretty much the only reason I'm gonna watch it. I can get mecha shows anywhere, Robotech/Macross, Gundam, Power Rangers / Sentai. So for me this is the only NGE based movie I'm probably ever gonna get to see, as they probably won't make a true live action NGE movie (because to many Christians in the US would complain about it being sacrilegious), and if they did make one, it would end up so butchered, it would probably resemble NGE far less than than Pacific Rim does.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kumagawa View Post
    Just cos its got big robots doesnt mean its evangelion. They could just as well be ripping off bokurano.
    What's "bokurano"?
    Last edited by Animedude5555; 07-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

I dunno... Looking at the bots, it seem to me that they're ripping from Armored Core, Gundam, The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers the Movie, and the Godzilla (ie: Mechs vs Monsters) franchise more than Eva. Just look a the shoulder and hip joints. Those shoulders and hips show an actually joint with varying degrees of movement. Eva's limbs are fairly flat as they get to the joint and seem like the limb is placed and pinned there by the joint, like a pop rivet almost. But if you really want to complain about rip-offs. If fact if you look at the piloting interface, Pacific Rim's ripping off G-Gundam! lol Either way you're argument is really dumb and therefore invalid. You're only seeing what you want to believe. You can make this claim about any mech related franchise; FMP, Macross, Gundam, Dunbine, Patlabor, Front Mission, Armored Core, NGE, and especially Tetsujin 28-go (Or Gigantor in America).
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

21. Likes Hood Rat Music liked this post
    Senior Member Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music has a reputation beyond repute Hood Rat Music's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    I dunno... Looking at the bots, it seem to me that they're ripping from Armored Core, Gundam, The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers the Movie, and the Godzilla (ie: Mechs vs Monsters) franchise more than Eva. Just look a the shoulder and hip joints. Those shoulders and hips show an actually joint with varying degrees of movement. Eva's limbs are fairly flat as they get to the joint and seem like the limb is placed and pinned there by the joint, like a pop rivet almost. But if you really want to complain about rip-offs. If fact if you look at the piloting interface, Pacific Rim's ripping off G-Gundam! lol Either way you're argument is really dumb and therefore invalid. You're only seeing what you want to believe. You can make this claim about any mech related franchise; FMP, Macross, Gundam, Dunbine, Patlabor, Front Mission, Armored Core, NGE, and especially Tetsujin 28-go (Or Gigantor in America).

I really like your post, and I think you're a really cool/dope/Ill/tricky/sick/awsem-O/bro/cool-cat of a guy and all, but this thread is going full corn bro.

Name:	corn-man.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	77837

Name:	1ozJaysHotCornChipsNEW.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	77838

Name:	corn-pops.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	77839

Name:	tumblr_mnu7fvG0gZ1qzjzg3o1_1280.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	77840

Name:	2ixfv.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	77841 <--- This thread in a nutshell.

23. Likes Kain, Eris, Ranshiin, DeathBlade/13.666 liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ok you still haven't shot down on a POINT BY POINT basis, each of the 3 points I made in my above post. These 3 points are key to my argument. I dare you to try to shoot them down (I don't think you can, but I'll give you a chance). I dare you to try to disprove each of these 3 points. I'm reposting them below for your convenience:

The shoulder rails that looked like they were meant to go on vertical launch rails, are a unique mecha feature of NGE. No other mecha series has this specific design feature on their mechs, as far as I know.

Furthermore, their suits are filled with a special liquid, much like the cockpits in NGE. I know of no other mecha series, other than NGE, that involves the use of a special liquid filling either the cockpits or pilot suits. Again, this appears to be unique to NGE, before Pacific Rim came along.

What about the mind link thing they are talking about in Pacific Rim. Only other show that has such is NGE. All other mecha shows have mechs that are either controlled with joysticks, or with arm and leg mounted motion sensors (well Pacific Rim has those too, but it also has a mind link system, that prior to Pacific Rim the only mecha show or movie that had a mind link system was NGE).

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ok you still haven't shot down on a POINT BY POINT basis, each of the 3 points I made in my above post. These 3 points are key to my argument. I dare you to try to shoot them down (I don't think you can, but I'll give you a chance). I dare you to try to disprove each of these 3 points. I'm reposting them below for your convenience:

Did you know: All the Jeagers in Pacific Rim are fueled only by Corn? Does your NGE have that? Nope, didn't think so.
    Have some more corn!

All shucking! Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!

Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay

Corn, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as Corn
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to eat more corn
    And forget how to hate eating corn

Corn crops not healing
    Life's a bitter shame
    I'm going off the cob on a Corn train
    I'm going off the cob on a Corn train

Let's Go!

I've listened to Farmers
    I've listened to Corn shuckers
    I've watched all the monsanto scientists
    Who make their own rules
    One person conditioned to sell and market corn
    The media sells it and you eat the cob

Corn farmers wounds still screaming
    Driving me insane
    I'm going off the cob on a corn train

I know that things are going wrong for me
    You gotta listen to my words
    Yeah

Heirs of a poor farming weather
    That's what we've become
    Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Crazy, I just cannot bear
    I'm living with something' that just isn't fair

Corn crops not healing
    Who and what's to blame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg‎
Views:	14
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	77851  
    Last edited by Hood Rat Music; 07-06-2013 at 09:02 PM. Reason: The corn messed up.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

There are a lot of launching mechanisms out there, but I don't know of another one with a launching mechanism quite like that.

However randomly throwing various fins on things has been popular since well, American cars in the 50s. It's a rare mecha series that can resist throwing something like that on some model. I guess we'll see what they're used for (my bet would be they're just there for looks and they don't even bother trying to make up a reason).
    Warhammer 40k Titans do that. However you mention it's in their suits. One very common element of sci-fi type fiction is liquid breathing systems to allow people to survive extremes in pressue. Since presumably they have to take the fight to the bottom of the Pacific I'm going to guess that's more where they're getting that from.

A bit of trivia: when they're explaining liquid breathing in The Abyss I'm given to understand the scene where they toss a rat or mouse into a breathable liquid is real. (there are actual breathable liquids, though I don't think they're used in any real diving systems yet).

No, I'm pretty sure that ones pretty common. Battletech, Warhammer 40k, Ghost in the Shell, and Shadowrun come to mind. But I haven't actually watched a ton of mecha shows, so that makes up a fair percentage of what I know.

That's THREE FOR THREE! As far as I'm concerned this IS a live action version of NGE. Which is pretty much the only reason I'm gonna watch it. I can get mecha shows anywhere, Robotech/Macross, Gundam, Power Rangers / Sentai. So for me this is the only NGE based movie I'm probably ever gonna get to see, as they probably won't make a true live action NGE movie (because to many Christians in the US would complain about it being sacrilegious), and if they did make one, it would end up so butchered, it would probably resemble NGE far less than than Pacific Rim does.[COLOR="Silver"]
    [/quote]

No, it isn't the religious stuff that's the problem( there's a lot of movies that are far worse on that front that have come out). The issue is that you rather need to have people watch the series to "get" the movie, and that you can't have kids that age doing stuff like the spooge scene. Maybe if you got rid of 3/4 of the cast and age the pilots by six years you could make it happen.

Anyway it looks to be a delightful mecha romp. I'd say go see it. Maybe it would encourage them to do Evangelion :P

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

There are a lot of launching mechanisms out there, but I don't know of another one with a launching mechanism quite like that.

However randomly throwing various fins on things has been popular since well, American cars in the 50s. It's a rare mecha series that can resist throwing something like that on some model. I guess we'll see what they're used for (my bet would be they're just there for looks and they don't even bother trying to make up a reason).

Warhammer 40k Titans do that. However you mention it's in their suits. One very common element of sci-fi type fiction is liquid breathing systems to allow people to survive extremes in pressue. Since presumably they have to take the fight to the bottom of the Pacific I'm going to guess that's more where they're getting that from.

A bit of trivia: when they're explaining liquid breathing in The Abyss I'm given to understand the scene where they toss a rat or mouse into a breathable liquid is real. (there are actual breathable liquids, though I don't think they're used in any real diving systems yet).

No, I'm pretty sure that ones pretty common. Battletech, Warhammer 40k, Ghost in the Shell, and Shadowrun come to mind. But I haven't actually watched a ton of mecha shows, so that makes up a fair percentage of what I know.

No, it isn't the religious stuff that's the problem( there's a lot of movies that are far worse on that front that have come out). The issue is that you rather need to have people watch the series to "get" the movie, and that you can't have kids that age doing stuff like the spooge scene. Maybe if you got rid of 3/4 of the cast and age the pilots by six years you could make it happen.

Anyway it looks to be a delightful mecha romp. I'd say go see it. Maybe it would encourage them to do Evangelion :P[/QUOTE]

When you take him seriously, you make this hard on me.

Name:	Sad_Cartoon_Corn_Royalty_Free_Vector_File_.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	77852

Name:	giant-panda-eat-mooncakes-11091202.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	77853

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

You sure about that vertical rail idea? http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/z/msn-00100.htm Unless you want to say that Zeta Gundam stole it from NGE too?

Suits with liquid in them? EVERY SUIT HAS LIQUID IN IT! It's called Oil, Hydraulic Fluid, and Fuel. Just like every airplane and car. Special liquid you want? Betterman has that.
    Neuronoid Robots jointly created by Akamatsu Industries and Mode Warp. As the machine is powered by Linker Gel, two Dual Kind are required to pilot it. Each Neuronoid has two forms: The "Accept Mode", which is equipped with a variety of sensors used for surveying and analysis, and the "Active Mode", used in combat situations. A Neuronoid's most powerful ability is the Synapse Attack, where particles from the environment surrounding the machine are drawn in, and then unleashed in a powerful blast. Due to the rate at which Linker Gel becomes unusable, the Neuronoids can only remain active for a short time, which is one of their major handicaps. Neuronoids use living brain matter in their construction. Although human brains were originally used in early models, the current Neuronoids piloted by the protagonists use the brains of primates and dolphins.
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betterman_%28TV_series%29

Mind link thingy? Gundam, Betterman, and Dual! all have that. Heck Dual! even has a stipulation that only women can pilot the mechs! (Though the main character that's male gets to pilot too.)

What else you got, booswah?
    Last edited by DeathBlade/13.666; 07-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

29. Likes Ranshiin liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Anyway it looks to be a delightful mecha romp. I'd say go see it. Maybe it would encourage them to do Evangelion :P
    That scene of Shinji masturbating was only in the movie. That scene was completely unnecessary, and could be removed for the live action adaptation (if they ever made an official live action NGE), without without hurting the plot. Furthermore, that scene was only in the movie, not the NGE TV series. If an NGE live action movie was done as a truncated version of the show, and showed only the most epic battles from the TV series, and left out the rest so it would fit in a 2 hour movie time slot, it could be done. Also the scene in the TV series with Shinji falling on Rei after she got out of the shower was really not needed. That scene could have been done without anybody falling on anybody, and without anybody being naked. It was just for shock/fanservice value in the anime. So yes there is a possibility of having an NGE live action movie in the US. It's just that it's very unlikely, because the object of making a movie is to make money, and the "anime fan" audience might not be enough to satisfy Hollywood's bottom line.
    Last edited by Animedude5555; 07-07-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information