AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why does the school make kids read crappy books?

Nanobyte's minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Luna Cake Lie Soras Keyblade
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2017 06:47 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1596-5790-7816-3407

Default Re: Why does the school make kids read crappy books?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou Kid View Post
    Respecting who they are and respecting their work are different. I respect Shake as a great writer, despise that I don't really Romeo & Juliet myself, I wouldn't even touch it with 10-foot long pole again. =\
    Romeo and Juliet are confusing?

I liked the books we had to read in my high school. If I remember correcly, our list consisted of:
    Speak
    Raisin in the Sun
    Macbeth
    The Tempest
    Romeo and Juliet
    Lord of the Flies
    To kill a Mockingbird
    I know why the Caged Bird Sings (or something like that)
    Taming of the Shrew
    Oedipus Rex
    Antigone
    Huckleberry Finn
    One flew over the Cuckoos nest
    Of Mice and Men
    Hamlet

My faves were Hamlet, Of Mice and Men, and To Kill a Mockingbird. The others were pretty good too, but I just couldn't get into Maya Angelou; too boring for me. Like many people mentioned, most of these books did teach me something and when I read them I can see why they are still being read to this day.

Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

This is what I understand. I get that we read these books in english to broaden our vocabulary and to better our writing. I also get that we read the classics because they are the books filled with the most symbolism, imagery, etc... The only thing I don't understand is why is English required for 4 years. Its not even 4 classes, you need to take an english class all 4 years. If you take 2 in Freshman year, you still need to take one next year, the year after that, and the year after that. I'm just happy that for my senior year, I get to take Film as a literary medium. That shall make english a lot of fun. This may be only at my school, but at both schools I've gone to, it was the same, only at my new school, they offer film.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by *Tsuki* View Post
    Ey. Agreed.
    Read that story at least 4 times through, thought about it for heaven knows how long, and I still can't connect with it.
    The time differences are just too much for me. How they can fall so madly in love with each other in less than two hours- I just don't get it.

Wait, so the classic books you read are repeats of other books or movies you've seen which were made after these were written?

I didn't say that you have to like the authors. I hate the twilight series but that doesn't mean I don't respect Stephanie Meyer.

I think what Prince said perfectly words how I feel about this next one . . .

. . . mercy? Who said anything about mercy?

EDIT: Why do my posts turn out so freaking long? D:
    @At the portion of your post addressing my post + Siggy: Not really, I just don't feel the story at all and it's kind of silly to me, but that's just me though. =\

Ehm, Unless you're calling me your prince (<3), I think I was the one who addressed the "mercy" issue.
    EDIT: I missed Princely's post, lol. NVM.
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 09-10-2010 at 04:53 AM.

Senior Member The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-23-2011 08:57 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: goku100107

Quote Originally Posted by Princely Dreaming Doll View Post
    Poe, Lovecraft, Shakespeare, Homer, etc. Writing style was always focused on criticizing something in their time. As well, as they are very philosophically based if you take some of their deep connected poems.
    Those kind of stories were written on the basis of thought. To think while you read. What this person is trying to convey and say.

Stephen King doesn't have that quality, neither does Koontz, or any other writer you praise so much. Their books take no thought, their stories take no thought. I could read Stephen King, but that doesn't settle my need for a good story. Good stories are the kind that make you think.

"Fiction reveals, what reality obscures"
    Are you saying the plot has to be intelligent?Some of the plots I read of my free will are not intelligent,but they are very entertaining, and suspenseful.

I think you only read Koontz's Frankenstein to get your opinion on him,and you probably think King is just a gore author.

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Ferrari Soccer Ball Favorite
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2012 10:37 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Wait . . . are you saying that English should be optional?
    Not quite. English the language is important, but aspects like appreciating works written in antiquated English and the like should be split off elsewhere IMO as a good number of people would never have to use the stuff, a lot of people don't even care for that stuff. I look at other core subjects here like Maths and Science and they teach relevant information the vast majority of the time with stuff that's relevant to other people being in optional classes (Advanced/Specific fields etc). That's how it works here at any rate. Perhaps what rubbed it in the most is high school here consists of grades 7-12 meaning I had six years of compulsory lessons with a good amount of stuff useless to me - I became quite adept at bluffing my way through exams and the like so I wouldn't even have to bother with some of the forced literature in the last few years.

It's not like they couldn't make it happen here either, there are tons of different subjects one can take up in my state (and country).
    victoria aut mors

Senior Member Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-27-2010 01:50 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    Are you saying the plot has to be intelligent?Some of the plots I read of my free will are not intelligent,but they are very entertaining, and suspenseful.

I think you only read Koontz's Frankenstein to get your opinion on him,and you probably think King is just a gore author.
    Don't tell me how I think. I read books because I want the challenge in them. As said, I was a very early reader and read mostly everyday of my life.
    I read Koontz and Stephen King because people recommended them to me and said they were great writers. That whole spill, they thought I'd like them for some reason. And all I could taste was a bad dish.

Yes, plots should have to be intelligent. Intelligent plots is what gives some people the challenge of books. Some people read books for the entertainment of a challenge.

"There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create."-Charles Baudelaire

Senior Member The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Don't tell me how I think. I read books because I want the challenge in them. As said, I was a very early reader and read mostly everyday of my life.
    I read Koontz and Stephen King because people recommended them to me and said they were great writers. That whole spill, they thought I'd like them for some reason. And all I could taste was a bad dish.

Yes, plots should have to be intelligent. Intelligent plots is what gives some people the challenge of books. Some people read books for the entertainment of a challenge.
    I am completely speechless right now. I know King and Koontz don't have intelligent plots,but their plots are entertaining,and very suspenseful.

You read the old stuff for that?A challenge?You don't read it for plot or characters?

Are you a Christopher Nolan fan?

Senior Member Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll has a reputation beyond repute Princely Dreaming Doll's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-27-2010 01:50 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    I am completely speechless right now. I know King and Koontz don't have intelligent plots,but their plots are entertaining,and very suspenseful.

You read the old stuff for that?A challenge?You don't read it for plot or characters?

Are you a Christopher Nolan fan?
    My enjoyment doesn't just come from the sensationalist story and plot. It has to be sensational and creatively intelligent.

"There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create."-Charles Baudelaire

つき *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki*'s Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts 001 - Bulbasaur Cowboy Hat Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2021 04:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furore View Post
    Not quite. English the language is important, but aspects like appreciating works written in antiquated English and the like should be split off elsewhere IMO as a good number of people would never have to use the stuff, a lot of people don't even care for that stuff. I look at other core subjects here like Maths and Science and they teach relevant information the vast majority of the time with stuff that's relevant to other people being in optional classes (Advanced/Specific fields etc). That's how it works here at any rate. Perhaps what rubbed it in the most is high school here consists of grades 7-12 meaning I had six years of compulsory lessons with a good amount of stuff useless to me - I became quite adept at bluffing my way through exams and the like so I wouldn't even have to bother with some of the forced literature in the last few years.

It's not like they couldn't make it happen here either, there are tons of different subjects one can take up in my state (and country).
    Ah, I suppose that makes sense.
    Though, a lot of teachers (around here at least) don't teach a lot of the extremely old classics, just a few so we know what they're like.
    They want to show us symbolism in it's finest (That's actually what we're currently learning about, knock on wood) and other aspects that are important to find in English that can't just be found in every other book.
    At least, that's how I see it. They choose the older books so we can really understand what they mean when they're talking.

Also, I've been wondering this forever. How do you have 1008367 rep points? o_O
    It's not like that big of a deal, just don't normally see it unless it's some epic poster from 7-9 years ago. O_O

Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

My enjoyment doesn't just come from the sensationalist story and plot. It has to be sensational and creatively intelligent.
    Well...you're the first I've ever seen to say this.

Well,anyway,the point I'm trying to make in this thread is:
    If the school did not makes us read crap,kids would like reading a lot more than they do. Though I kind of steered it off topic to what I was trying to say...

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ah, I suppose that makes sense.
    Though, a lot of teachers (around here at least) don't teach a lot of the extremely old classics, just a few so we know what they're like.
    They want to show us symbolism in it's finest (That's actually what we're currently learning about, knock on wood) and other aspects that are important to find in English that can't just be found in every other book.
    At least, that's how I see it. They choose the older books so we can really understand what they mean when they're talking.

Also, I've been wondering this forever. How do you have 1008367 rep points? o_O
    It's not like that big of a deal, just don't normally see it unless it's some epic poster from 7-9 years ago. O_O
    He's a pretty funny member, so I assume some of the big boys/girls reaped him and it made it go pretty far.
    Since Days on forum + Rep Points + Post Count = Pretty high Rep Power.

Your Mischievous Angel Yuki Atsuma has a reputation beyond repute Yuki Atsuma has a reputation beyond repute Yuki Atsuma has a reputation beyond repute Yuki Atsuma has a reputation beyond repute Yuki Atsuma has a reputation beyond repute Yuki Atsuma has a reputation beyond repute Yuki Atsuma has a reputation beyond repute Yuki Atsuma has a reputation beyond repute Yuki Atsuma has a reputation beyond repute Yuki Atsuma has a reputation beyond repute Yuki Atsuma has a reputation beyond repute Yuki Atsuma's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Alice AK47 Blue Saber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-19-2010 06:32 PM
    In a world of disgust. ~ [ I'm happy with the one I love xD ]
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: YukiAtsuma PSN ID: YukiAtsuma

Because they wish to bore us to death.
    " Embrace your dreams. If you want to be a hero, you need to have dreams. . . "

Junior Member StupidEJ95 is on a distinguished road StupidEJ95's Avatar
    Gil
    Stressed
    Gifts Bomb 028 - Sandslash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-28-2010 08:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Most of the books I read in school had easy tests involved mainly because my brother endured reading the B.S. without wiping his *** with it or going to Barnes and Noble and saying to the manager 'I want my money back!' (In translation he read the same books I'm reading in school.) I didn't have to read them. I just rumaged through his drawers for his notes on the books he read. When I read the real thing I couldn't go through a tiny fraction of a page.

MICK JAGGER IS AWESOME

RIP Thylacine

SNORTING COKE - UR DOIN IT WRONG

Senior Member Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2011 07:48 PM
    Threads

My 4th grade teacher made us read Chronicles of Narnia. Everyone liked it as far as I can remember. To Kill a Mockingbird was like reading someone's dream; semi-coherent. Outsiders was good, In the Heat of the Night was pretty cool, Kite Runner was awesome, and Devil's Arithmetic was chilling and gripping.

Pretty Girl Swag Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts 025 - Pikachu Capricorn 006 - Charizard
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2017 02:00 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Corbin-Domina Steam ID: Kronus_Moon

I hated the books I had to read. The exceptions were The Outsiders and The Giver, Shakespear, and Poe. But the novels we had to read were just stupid. Hawthorne was atrocious. I didn't read it. I can understand that we had to read books from that time period, but I wish they weren't so terrible. But I think if they are going to torture us then they should have an alternate list in case some of us can't read The Scarlet Letter or The Old Man And The Sea (which I read. I wanted to beat people up when I finished). Or have open book tests. I passed my Frankenstein test because my English teacher was gangster and let us have an open test where we coiuld quietly discuss and peruse the book for answers.

My Sun and Stars
    Moon of my life

Junior Member .KITE. is on a distinguished road .KITE.'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2010 10:57 PM
    Threads

I could babble about the worth of reading true works of literature, but I'm not.

No, no. I'll babble a bit. There is pleasuring reading, and then there is literature, and while I don't necessarily think there should be a distinction, there is. Catch-22? Entertainment and purpose. Heart of Darkness? Mostly purpose, less entertainment. I found that book absolutely enthralling, but many of my classmates would beg to differ. Though, I do agree with the way books are tested. They shouldn't be a "LET'S SEE IF YOU READ SPARKNOTES!" like a teacher at my school does. I think that those kind of tests kill any passion for literature. Though, I'm all for essay tests like my current AP English Lit teacher is so fond of.

But honestly, I'm in agreement that English should be taught all 4 years. Maybe, if you're lucky and take AP English and score a 4 or a 5, you won't have to take it in college. But most people do have to take it in college at least for a couple of years, so it's one of those necessities that will haunt and torment you if you don't have a grasp of it now.

Senior Member under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2011 11:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: revolucionary

Some of them are stupid, some of them aren't. I had to read Fahrenheit 451 and A Tale of Two Cities which were both very good books. I also had to read A Walk Across America which is one of the worst books I have ever read.

Aleyna's Wifey *with a heart sign* Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket's Avatar
    Gil
    Goofy
    Gifts Tengu Mask Green Tea Pocky
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-24-2012 08:31 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Talk about crappy books? Try studying in China and you'd have a different thought on "crappy". I remember one time where they actually told us to read a compilation of ancient poems.. it was dreadful, I mean you can't even understand it. Then they told us to write an essay about it.. I mean, we weren't born 2,000 years ago. Other crappy books such as a memoir of a guy who went rebellious against the system of the government and then died a hero, it wasn't the best book to encourage kids these days. Still, reading books told by the teacher in schools in China isn't gonna be on your top list.
    Proud Wife of Aleyna ♥
    Proud Mother of Uta ♪

Senior Member Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    User Info
    Latest Post
    05-29-2017 12:09 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Thread
    NEWS: QE3 enacted by FED
    Latest Blog
    Got a DeviantArt

This was always a frustrating issue with me as well. To help, here's what I've come to find in it all:

Bestselling books are oftentimes too political, explicit, or popular for the readings of students. To solve this issue, schools assign 'classics' for students to read, which often tell of tales or adventures from a very diplomatic point of view (far from politics and non-explicit). While the classics can be great reads for both knowledge and recreation, they are limited in variety and tend to have a monotonous diction (due to a much lesser availability of books back in the times). Schools do not confront this issue by searching for books that are new and appropriate for the selected group they are assigning to, and rather jump onto the bandwagon of other schools who're ignoring what's out there. Funding can also be an issue for schools. While new books can have benefits, they commonly have high price tags and aren't available in mass print. At the same time, classics are available for bulk purchase and are thus a viable option for your educational institution.

I do believe this is it!

Regards,
    SK

Member GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-10-2011 09:23 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ugh...even though I was homeschooled there were some pretty aweful books that I had to read. Seriously it was freaking torture, they were so boring and really didnt grab my interest at all. Even my mom( who is my teacher too) thought that they were boring.

Junior Member President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman's Avatar
    Gil
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-13-2011 08:12 PM
    Threads

You people don't seem to enjoy learning. Not very surprising, considering some of the things I've seen here.

Senior Member Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-21-2011 11:04 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

First of most of the books are only crappy if you don't understand them, Which if u dnt ask for help! Second to answer ur question it will help in future of ur individual education.

Junior Member President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman is infamous around these parts President Truman's Avatar
    Gil
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-13-2011 08:12 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Long View Post
    First of most of the books are only crappy if you don't understand them, Which if u dnt ask for help! Second to answer ur question it will help in future of ur individual education.
    You obviously don't seem like the kind of person who understand books.

Senior Member Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long is a splendid one to behold Lei Long's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-21-2011 11:04 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by President Truman View Post
    You obviously don't seem like the kind of person who understand books.
    and you seem like the person who judges a book by its cover! :P

Member GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight has a reputation beyond repute GuyverKnight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-10-2011 09:23 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by President Truman View Post
    You people don't seem to enjoy learning. Not very surprising, considering some of the things I've seen here.
    Or perhaps we dont like the garbage that they shove down our throats?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information