AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What's most important in a good game?

Senior Member Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Pocky
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-13-2013 11:20 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Spp67

Default Re: What's most important in a good game?

Well for me if a game wants me to consider it a great game then it has to have immersion. If a game can still have an effect on me even after I play the game then to me it is a great game. Best example for me is Silent Hill 2. If I'm ever walking and my town starts to become foggy ( which happens sometimes because New England weather is unpredictable ) I start to get scared because I know some where there could be a monster or somewhere and that is why if a game could have any sense of immersion in the game then it is a great game.

Senior Member BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2013 05:02 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ask me for it Steam ID: askmeforit

A game should do something different from games that have come before it. A game doesn't have to reinvent the wheel, but it should at least try to do something that hasn't been seen or done in a game before. If your game is offering "more of the same", something I've seen in another game, what reason do I have to play your game when I could just go back and play that other game?

A game should be immersive. It should have an atmosphere that draws the player in. This is a good idea for most (if not all) games, not just horror games and RPGs. A game should really give the sense that you're a part of whatever world you're in.

A game shouldn't waste the player's time. Eliminate pointless backtracking, repetition, and grinding. Remove game mechanics that make the game more work than fun. If you have to have downtime, make it enjoyable somehow. Shadow of the Colossus was great about this; every colossus fight had you exploring a new part of the world, so even though you got teleported back to the starting temple after each fight, the novelty of exploration eliminated the tedium. By contrast, the game Aquaria provides a great example of what not to do: after unlocking a power that lets you move rocks, the very first rock you run into upon leaving that section of the world (which any gamer would think to explore) leads to a blocked path, which you need another power to open (which you can't possibly have yet). Aquaria has just wasted five minutes of your time, essentially punishing you for exploring (in a game about exploration).

A game should teach the player by showing, not telling. Don't have a lengthy tutorial that goes through every single button and function of the game, but also don't throw the player in without telling them how to do anything. Have them learn the mechanics and game strategies through play, and have future challenges build on already established concepts. LIMBO is especially good about this, as well as the Portal games. Your puzzles and challenges should make sense. They shouldn't come out of nowhere using logic and mechanics the player hasn't encountered before and will never see again.

Create a sense of growth, progression, and accomplishment. Giving the player a palpable feeling of increasing strength (while also ramping up the challenges accordingly) is a great way to both empower the player while encouraging them to keep learning and improving. Bastion is great about this; the game throws a new weapon or ability at you practically every mission, and every time you return to the Bastion with a new Core or Shard, you get to add to or improve the Bastion in some way, giving you even more stuff to play around with. On a similar note, I like the way Yahtzee Croshaw describes boss fights: as a "final exam" for everything you've learned up to that point. Don't just make it an extra-big enemy with lots of HP.

Just a few of my personal opinions about game design.
    Get some exercise this summer and raise money to fight disease. Find a free charity walk in your area:
    AIDS Walk | Walk to Defeat ALS | Walk MS | Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
    Light The Night for Leukemia & Lymphona | Great Strides for Cystic Fibrosis

3. Likes Sitcom, Penshiru liked this post
    Senior Member xMaTTx is a splendid one to behold xMaTTx is a splendid one to behold xMaTTx is a splendid one to behold xMaTTx is a splendid one to behold xMaTTx is a splendid one to behold xMaTTx is a splendid one to behold xMaTTx is a splendid one to behold xMaTTx is a splendid one to behold xMaTTx's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts Eye
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-11-2012 08:17 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As for me I'm Gina hafts say what style of game 1st.
    I'm an all atriums gamer and for an fps I'd say speed, wepons, maps, complexity.
    Mmo/and or RPGs gotta be storyline, video/audio, complexity. Just me but I love a complex game, and I'm very competitive.
    I'll leave it at that

Junior Member smayragrace is on a distinguished road smayragrace's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-20-2012 12:21 PM
    Threads

I think entertainment is the best thing that we all like to want in any game.......

6. Likes Mugiwara-no-Basuke liked this post
    Junior Member susonjoy is on a distinguished road susonjoy's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-31-2012 06:33 AM
    Threads

The most important thing needed in the good game is the story. First the players see what is this game about and start playing. Later the graphics and the quality audio system plays the important role because most of the people see the quality sounds otherwise they get irritated with the sounds.

Back To Business ~> Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts One Piece Flag Soul Eater Shinigami-sama Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2012 02:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Plus being etertaining and cool, with good graphics, it HAS to be a long game that I can't finish in like 2 or 3 days, that's why the everlasting Pokemon GB games and others like Football Manager (it's a soccer managing game, dunno if any of you know it) were my favourites.
    And that's it, I think

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
    "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    "I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Kind boy/Nanobyte's minion Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Uranus Henshin Pen Pen Coffee
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-02-2022 11:54 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Mystelinth

In my opinion Story is important, but it isn't my #1 priority.
    I rather have a good gameplay.

A game with a good story but crappy gameplay isn't as entertaining as a game with a lesser storyline but good gameplay.

Atleast thats what i think.

Senior Member threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Wolf
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2013 11:23 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W0LF1NN PSN ID: G0pherG0d

Most important, and this changes with whatever genre it is, but whatever game it is, has to grab my attention and keep it.

For example, FPS, graphics are nice, but if the mechanics are clunky or the game is laggy, it soon goes to the discard pile. For an MMO, the story has to be there and not make me feel like its just go get this bucket. It can be that, but they need to make it where it doesnt feel like that. Which is why I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2. For RPG, if the graphics are bad, I have no desire for it, but the story also has to be excellent.

Senior Member ARKphoenix is a splendid one to behold ARKphoenix is a splendid one to behold ARKphoenix is a splendid one to behold ARKphoenix is a splendid one to behold ARKphoenix is a splendid one to behold ARKphoenix is a splendid one to behold ARKphoenix is a splendid one to behold ARKphoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    Cool
    Gifts Orange Ribbon Gurren Gurren Dan Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2016 11:57 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Venocide EMS PSN ID: ARKphoenix Steam ID: kronicx

For me its the story. If the story's good I'll keep on playing till the end.

Junior Member yoyocat is infamous around these parts yoyocat is infamous around these parts yoyocat is infamous around these parts yoyocat is infamous around these parts yoyocat is infamous around these parts yoyocat is infamous around these parts yoyocat is infamous around these parts yoyocat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2012 01:49 AM
    Threads

fluent screeshot is very important in my mind

Senior Member FatalEnd21 is on a distinguished road FatalEnd21's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2014 02:22 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FatalEnd21 PSN ID: FatalEnd21 Steam ID: FatalEnd21

To me, the overall gameplay in the game matters the most to me. If the gameplay is bad, then the game is bad. After that, story is important to me because the game has to intrest me.

Junior Member jessicalennita is on a distinguished road jessicalennita's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-06-2012 08:08 AM
    Threads

A good game should be included with all the good features in it. It should have the good story,graphic effects, background sound effects, levels with more fun. It should have the enough features to entertain the players and need to provide good gaming spirit.

Senior Member Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Dodge Viper GTS Hyundai Coupe Yellow Ribbon
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-10-2017 10:46 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bad_Prelude

controls.
    nothing aggravates me more than clunky controls.

controls are general for all games.
    But then you gotta break it down to genres.

For racing, i think its important to make everything feel fast, but accurately. Some games have a speedometer that says you're doing 1000mph but it doesn't really look or feel like you're going fast at all.

For RPGs it important to have dynamic characters that fit the story and that you can really connect to.

For Shooters its important to have intelligent enemies. If they just run straight at you all the time, it quickly gets boring.

For puzzle games...eh puzzle games suck anyways.

Fighters need a great variety of styles and need a good balance between all of them. not one style can be superior to any other syle.

Platformers need stages that all feel unique. Many have the issue of making it feel like you're doing the same thing over and over again.

But before any of those things matter even remotely, you need good controls. Clunky controls will ruin any and all games.
    Hmmm... Been a while
    Sit back some time and simply ask yourself, [Link]->"Do you even lift, bro?"<-[Link]

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleohano View Post
    For puzzle games...eh puzzle games suck anyways.
    If by puzzle, you mean those retarded educational games, yeah.

Because you apparently never played Braid.

AF Lurker Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Snowman Hedgehog Pocky
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2018 06:17 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Zainox-

The main overall importance would be story. Your game could fail in every other aspect, but as long as the story is great quite a few people would still play.
    Secondly I think you need good voice acting (if your game has it). I hate games with terrible voice acting, makes it painful to play on. D:

MY ANIME-PLANET WATCH LIST

AF FAMILY
    Astral_Mage - Younger Brother/Confetti Brother
    horrendous - Older Brother
    1nterest1ng - Confetti Brother

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information