AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Doctor Who

Junior Member SkyHeinzel39 is on a distinguished road SkyHeinzel39's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-23-2013 01:38 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Re: Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Thefringedninja View Post
    The stories in themselves are ok, but he really CANNOT write female characters. He makes them so needy; their lives always revolve around the Doctor and they have no spunk in my opinion.
    I do agree with you a little. It seems as though the female companions can put up quite a fight and some of them are quite badass but it doesn't change the fact that they're all dependent of the doctor. Almost every episode you'll hear one of them yelling 'DOCTOR!!!!', which amuse me. Also, funny how everything revolves around Earth. Why particularly Earth, out of so many other planets or galaxies or dimensions?

Personally, I'm a big Doctor Who fan but as mentioned before, the plot is getting a little stale. I like David Tennant the most because I really love the connection between him and Rose. I love the other doctors too but I don't get attached to them as much. Doctor Who's very different when compared to some other series because anything can happen anytime and anywhere. The variety is huge. However, in the later seasons, not as impressive and mindblowing. I'll still watch it but I'm really hoping for improvements in the storyline.

2. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    The warrior of time aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Bear Bleach Zangetsu Katana
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2015 10:29 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aether370

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeinzel39 View Post
    I do agree with you a little. It seems as though the female companions can put up quite a fight and some of them are quite badass but it doesn't change the fact that they're all dependent of the doctor. Almost every episode you'll hear one of them yelling 'DOCTOR!!!!', which amuse me. Also, funny how everything revolves around Earth. Why particularly Earth, out of so many other planets or galaxies or dimensions?

Personally, I'm a big Doctor Who fan but as mentioned before, the plot is getting a little stale. I like David Tennant the most because I really love the connection between him and Rose. I love the other doctors too but I don't get attached to them as much. Doctor Who's very different when compared to some other series because anything can happen anytime and anywhere. The variety is huge. However, in the later seasons, not as impressive and mindblowing. I'll still watch it but I'm really hoping for improvements in the storyline.
    I really hated Billie Piper truth be told I don't like her as an actor at all

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by aether View Post
    I really hated Billie Piper truth be told I don't like her as an actor at all
    Now hate is a strong word. I do think she's a good actress, she's just not the best. Though if I have to critic on her, it would be that she was the least helpful companion. She's just a mere human. Her epic moment was when she looked into the core of TARDIS and sort of became incredibly powerful for a short moment. I would say some emotions are a little exaggerated but I do like her connection to the doctor. Well, everyone has their own opinions.

The warrior of time aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Now hate is a strong word. I do think she's a good actress, she's just not the best. Though if I have to critic on her, it would be that she was the least helpful companion. She's just a mere human. Her epic moment was when she looked into the core of TARDIS and sort of became incredibly powerful for a short moment. I would say some emotions are a little exaggerated but I do like her connection to the doctor. Well, everyone has their own opinions.
    I thought looking directly into the heart of the Tardis was kinda cheap way of getting a victory and besides before Rose there was Sarah Jane Smith and in my opinion Rose was trying to be like her. Well in my opinion anway

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I thought looking directly into the heart of the Tardis was kinda cheap way of getting a victory and besides before Rose there was Sarah Jane Smith and in my opinion Rose was trying to be like her. Well in my opinion anway
    I agree with you on that matter. That situation is almost impossible for them to win. They had to give Rose some sort of power in order to save the doctor. Besides, if they don't do that, Rose can't revive Jack and you won't have the major revelation. I know she's similar to Sarah Jane Smith and that episode when they were quarreling over who had better experiences with the doctor is just so funny. I'm guessing a lot of people liked Sarah when she was the previous companion of the doctor, thus they decided to have someone much like her but younger to get the same effect.

Anyways, I'm not trying to start a debate or anything. I appreciate your own opinions and views. I just enjoy putting out my thoughts and having discussions with people of the same interest.

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The stories in themselves are ok, but he really CANNOT write female characters. He makes them so needy; their lives always revolve around the Doctor and they have no spunk in my opinion.
    Moffat has a problem with writing female characters. He doesn't write them as people; he makes them into "mysteries" for the doctor to figure out (See Clara, who's only purpose was that she was born to "Save" the doctor.)

He couldn't write a character like Donna if he tried.
    月の光は愛のメッセージ

8. Likes Fuu Kasumi, Thefringedninja liked this post
    Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I agree with you on that matter. That situation is almost impossible for them to win. They had to give Rose some sort of power in order to save the doctor. Besides, if they don't do that, Rose can't revive Jack and you won't have the major revelation. I know she's similar to Sarah Jane Smith and that episode when they were quarreling over who had better experiences with the doctor is just so funny. I'm guessing a lot of people liked Sarah when she was the previous companion of the doctor, thus they decided to have someone much like her but younger to get the same effect.

Anyways, I'm not trying to start a debate or anything. I appreciate your own opinions and views. I just enjoy putting out my thoughts and having discussions with people of the same interest.
    Oh and I do appreciate your views to and I wasn't meaning to cause offense if I was.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Moonlight View Post
    Moffat has a problem with writing female characters. He doesn't write them as people; he makes them into "mysteries" for the doctor to figure out (See Clara, who's only purpose was that she was born to "Save" the doctor.)

Donna was kinda like Clara in fact I prefer Clara over Donna but then again I don't really like Catherine Tate either

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Oh and I do appreciate your views to and I wasn't meaning to cause offense if I was.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Donna was kinda like Clara in fact I prefer Clara over Donna but then again I don't really like Catherine Tate either
    Imo, Donna had more personality than Clara. Clara is basically just there because she's a "mystery" for the Doctor to solve. Also Clara is witty, but there's no way she could out-sass donna.

Donna was a sassologist
    月の光は愛のメッセージ

11. Likes *Tsuki*, Thefringedninja liked this post
    Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Imo, Donna had more personality than Clara. Clara is basically just there because she's a "mystery" for the Doctor to solve. Also Clara is witty, but there's no way she could out-sass donna.

Donna was a sassologist
    It might be that I just prefer wittiness over sass

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Martha wasn't a mystery though. Most of the time, she's only shown depressing over the thought that she's just a replacement for rose. Instead of giving her powers and mysterical background, she went around the world telling people about the doctor. I've been wondering though... how will knowing and chanting the doctor's name helped make him younger? Donna'ssassy alright but the thought of her being half timelord is a little farfetched. Clara's personality on the other hand, I think would be the most similar to the doctor. But her being born just to save the doctor, doesn't logically make sense. I know this is fictional but you still need to make it believable. Amy's a feisty one too. I don't really like her but she's the only one that ended up with someone else. Moffat's not giving enough social interactions to the other characters.

14. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Senior Member Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Dr Who K9 Rainbow Ribbon Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-09-2014 10:27 AM
    Threads

Totally agree.
    Another thing that I have noticed is that Moffat doesn't give the companions as much background as Russell did in the previous (post-2005) series. I loved the fact that Donna had a family and grandad who actually had character development.
    Rose had Mickey, her dad and her mum...I have never watched "Father's Day" without crying. Davies gave us a series where you could actually have an emotional attachment to the characters and many tears were shed when they were gone.
    Martha had a bit of a lack lustre background, but the last episodes of series 3 were able to make up for that, I felt (I REALLY hated her mum though XD). Martha is often ignored by the fans though, as a result...
    ~Favourite Anime/manga~
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Death Note
    Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
    Junjou Romantica
    Naruto Shippuuden
    Bleach
    Hetalia
    Code Geass
    Fruits Basket
    D-GrayMan
    Hourou Musuko Wandering Son
    Sora to Hara
    Kuroko no Basuke
    Shingeki no Kyojin

Currently reading: Bleach and Naruto Ship, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kuroko no Basuke.
    Currently watching: Space Brothers, Golden Time, Kuroko no Basuke, Silver Spoon, Magi and Mobile Suit Gundam.

16. Likes Fuu Kasumi, Miss Moonlight liked this post
    Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Shows how much I'm behind, didn't know Russel left. That kinda sucks.

18. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    helianthus Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Venus Crystal Henshin Pen Venus Star Wand Top Artemis
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2020 09:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

While I really enjoyed Moffat's style for seasons 5 through to the first have of season 7, the last few episodes seemed odd. Is that the word I'm looking for? maybe not. I do like the episodes, Jenna is doing a great job with what she's been given, I just don't feel any deep connection with Clara like I did with the all of the other companions before her. I think it's because, like @Miss Moonlight said, she doesn't have much personality yet. She doesn't seem very human. That's really what Moffat's characters have been lacking (apart from Amy/Rory)--humanity, simplicity.

Moffat continues to make things overly complex, and interconnected. It is all getting a bit tired. There have also been many parallels between old Doctor/Rose scenes and new Doctor/Clara scenes, so many that it seems like the writers aren't even trying to create new stories any more. (I get that they're probably making these parallels because of the 50th anniversary special, but really they're just over doing it in my opinion.)

As far as the actors go: Tennant = Smith > Eccleston
    Companions: Donna > Rory = Amy > Martha > Rose
    Last edited by Fuu Kasumi; 06-10-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: I have to see more of Clara before I decide where she belongs in this list.

x

20. Likes Miss Moonlight liked this post
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    While I really enjoyed Moffat's style for seasons 5 through to the first have of season 7, the last few episodes seemed odd. Is that the word I'm looking for? maybe not. I do like the episodes, Jenna is doing a great job with what she's been given, I just don't feel any deep connection with Clara like I did with the all of the other companions before her. I think it's because, like @Miss Moonlight said, she doesn't have much personality yet. She doesn't seem very human. That's really what Moffat's characters have been lacking (apart from Amy/Rory)--humanity, simplicity.

Moffat continues to make things overly complex, and interconnected. It is all getting a bit tired. There have also been many parallels between old Doctor/Rose scenes and new Doctor/Clara scenes, so many that it seems like the writers aren't even trying to create new stories any more. (I get that they're probably making these parallels because of the 50th anniversary special, but really they're just over doing it in my opinion.)

The parallel world confuses me. I sometimes wonder... they created a parallel world just so Rose's father can end up with her mother again and also to pair up Rose and the other doctor. Since the other doctor is exactly the same, he would know the doctor's real name right? Therefore, he could tell Rose that secret as well. Then, it's no longer just known by the doctor and River. I'm not a fan of River as well. In my opinion, she knows too much and just sort of pissed me off at times when she's refusing to reveal anything and sometimes, reveal nothing after saying she knows everything. I'm starting to confuse myself too.

22. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Senior Member Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Dr Who K9 Rainbow Ribbon Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-09-2014 10:27 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    Shows how much I'm behind, didn't know Russel left. That kinda sucks.
    I know :'(
    Doctor Who was like his baby...he worked so hard to get it regenerated (see what I did there...)!

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

To be fair, I did like his Van Gogh episode...I cried many tears.
    It's just...argh...the companions...
    ~Favourite Anime/manga~
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Death Note
    Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
    Junjou Romantica
    Naruto Shippuuden
    Bleach
    Hetalia
    Code Geass
    Fruits Basket
    D-GrayMan
    Hourou Musuko Wandering Son
    Sora to Hara
    Kuroko no Basuke
    Shingeki no Kyojin

Currently reading: Bleach and Naruto Ship, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kuroko no Basuke.
    Currently watching: Space Brothers, Golden Time, Kuroko no Basuke, Silver Spoon, Magi and Mobile Suit Gundam.

24. Likes Fuu Kasumi liked this post
    helianthus Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi has a reputation beyond repute Fuu Kasumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The parallel world confuses me. I sometimes wonder... they created a parallel world just so Rose's father can end up with her mother again and also to pair up Rose and the other doctor. Since the other doctor is exactly the same, he would know the doctor's real name right? Therefore, he could tell Rose that secret as well. Then, it's no longer just known by the doctor and River. I'm not a fan of River as well. In my opinion, she knows too much and just sort of pissed me off at times when she's refusing to reveal anything and sometimes, reveal nothing after saying she knows everything. I'm starting to confuse myself too.
    When I said parallel, I wasn't really talking about the parallel worlds, but mainly just the similarities between the two companions' interactions with the Doctor. Here and here are links to some of them.

It used to be that I didn't really care for her either way, but now I seem to like River Song a bit more each time we get to see her again.

To be fair, I did like his Van Gogh episode...I cried many tears.
    It's just...argh...the companions...
    I love that episode to bits. It's the episode that finally got my mom to start watching Smith's run as Eleven (she watched Eccleston and Tennant but wasn't interested when season 5 came about.) I made her sit through "The Hungry Earth", "Cold Blood", and "Vincent and the Doctor" with me and she finally started watching the series again.

x

26. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

When I said parallel, I wasn't really talking about the parallel worlds, but mainly just the similarities between the two companions' interactions with the Doctor. Here and here are links to some of them.

It used to be that I didn't really care for her either way, but now I seem to like River Song a bit more each time we get to see her again.

I love that episode to bits. It's the episode that finally got my mom to start watching Smith's run as Eleven (she watched Eccleston and Tennant but wasn't interested when season 5 came about.) I made her sit through "The Hungry Earth", "Cold Blood", and "Vincent and the Doctor" with me and she finally started watching the series again.
    "Vincent and the Doctor" has to be one of my favorite episodes (of modern who, anyway). The writing, the acting, the casting were just brilliant.
    月の光は愛のメッセージ

28. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ooh... thanks for pointing it out. It's very similar indeed. The only difference would probably be that Clara isn't as human as Rose.

I also notice one funny thing about River. She's the daughter of Amy and Rory but she doesn't look like their daughter when she's Melody. Did she regenerate when she was younger?

Gil
    Yeehaw
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I also notice one funny thing about River. She's the daughter of Amy and Rory but she doesn't look like their daughter when she's Melody. Did she regenerate when she was younger?
    This video shows her timeline (there may be spoilers, depending on how many episodes you've seen):
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx5...ong_shortfilms
    Last edited by Fuu Kasumi; 06-13-2013 at 12:29 PM.

x

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

This video show's her timeline (there may be spoilers, depending on how many episodes you've seen):
    I've watched until season 7 but I guess I missed out some scenes, must've walked away somewhere. Thanks for the video.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

This video show's her timeline (there may be spoilers, depending on how many episodes you've seen):
    Now that's pretty impressive.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Closed Thread

Thread Information