AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beyond The Black Rainbow - Explained (How to watch the movie)

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Beyond The Black Rainbow - Explained (How to watch the movie)

A 2012 movie that tries to be '70s, and winning at it. I would like to point out that Panos Cosmatos' Beyond The Black Rainbow is a very meticulous piece. A '70s sci-fi/lo-fi in a sterile environment, wrapped in oldschool sound effects and dark psychedelic grooves. If that didn't suffice for you, wait till you see the contents/messages.
    At first, I watched the movie for the plot and enjoying the scenery; the plot was a complete disaster, but the scenery was good, also, the dialogs were very, irritably slow paced as well as any sort of action a character might take. I was rolling in my sofa, sipping vodka from time to time to keep focused on the film. Then the film ended and it didn't seem so great.
    Yesterday, I shew it to two of my friend, an art and math teacher, both painters and they loved it from the very start. They say that this movie doesn't speak in actions and dialogs, but rather in the pictures it shows, in an abstract way. They were the first to point out that there were faces in the bloating eye iris at the intro, and that those faces turned into something else as the iris kept opening - one face into two mummy-like people. They taught me to interpret every scene as not contents from a movie, but as an abstract painting, for example: when Elena sits in the bright side of the room, separated by a force glass from the dark room, where Barry stands and watches her is comparable to how the consciousness views the outer self, and every thing Barry says to Elena is ambiguous and interpretable to help shape the picture you imagine.

Daft Punk is beyond this.

I'm going to be re-seeing this movie a couple of times over. And if you're thinking of watching it, the minimum age requirement is 21. If you're not mature enough, please go back to your Michael Bay's Transformers and Twilight dildos!

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

Senior Member Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo has a reputation beyond repute Rylingo's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Pocky
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2013 06:15 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Beyond The Black Rainbow - Explained (How to watch the movie)

I'm gonna be honest, I hated this movie. I'm not fond of Twilight or Transformers either. I had a half written the review for the movie which I will post below. No offense is intended:

Hiding behind sloppy symbolism there is an overly simplistic plot. Your standard mental asylum escape fair. It is so determined to look like a 70’s sci-fi movie that it becomes childishly amusing to the audience.

The film grain filter is applied poorly.

The pacing is absolutely atrocious. A longer running time demands that we gain more from the experience. The length isn’t down to increased character understanding, increased character development or more dialogue. It’s down to sloppy editing.
    We are left with scarce details about the characters, left to pick from the carcass that is this reel. The only character explored in any depth is the villain who is derivative of Voldermourt. I know some my snort at me comparing an art movies villain to a mainstream one but I'm not fushed by that attitude. The similarities are clear one examination.

It displays provocative imagery in front of you for extended periods of time to the point were the images fail to be provocative anymore.

The music is good and you’d better like it because you will have plenty of time to listen to it as the movie plods along. It would give a sense of tension if things went quicker.

The ending bursts out with rapid pacing. A lot of build-up leading to no interesting dialogue between the protagonist and antagonist.

Looks like a terrible reject from the sci-fi channel. The creator desperately wants to be Kubrick whilst resembling a second grade art teacher's pet project.

Feels being ambiguous is a good way to excuse its lack of self-containment. You will have to search DVD extras to get all the information required.

Art film fans will love it. To everyone else it will come across as self-indulgent and pretentious.

3. Likes DOOM! liked this post
    They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Rylingo View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, I hated this movie. I'm not fond of Twilight or Transformers either. I had a half written the review for the movie which I will post below. No offense is intended:

Hiding behind sloppy symbolism there is an overly simplistic plot. Your standard mental asylum escape fair. It is so determined to look like a 70’s sci-fi movie that it becomes childishly amusing to the audience.

The film grain filter is applied poorly.

The pacing is absolutely atrocious. A longer running time demands that we gain more from the experience. The length isn’t down to increased character understanding, increased character development or more dialogue. It’s down to sloppy editing.
    We are left with scarce details about the characters, left to pick from the carcass that is this reel. The only character explored in any depth is the villain who is derivative of Voldermourt. I know some my snort at me comparing an art movies villain to a mainstream one but I'm not fushed by that attitude. The similarities are clear one examination.

It displays provocative imagery in front of you for extended periods of time to the point were the images fail to be provocative anymore.

The music is good and you’d better like it because you will have plenty of time to listen to it as the movie plods along. It would give a sense of tension if things went quicker.

The ending bursts out with rapid pacing. A lot of build-up leading to no interesting dialogue between the protagonist and antagonist.

Looks like a terrible reject from the sci-fi channel. The creator desperately wants to be Kubrick whilst resembling a second grade art teacher's pet project.

Feels being ambiguous is a good way to excuse its lack of self-containment. You will have to search DVD extras to get all the information required.

Art film fans will love it. To everyone else it will come across as self-indulgent and pretentious.
    Thank you, I Enjoyed reading your thoughts on a matter where you do seem to have done your homework, although I would like to draw your attention upon the fact that your basis lies on the "textbook" plot and not on the sequence of images it displays, as I tried to explain earlier, the dialog/actions/plot are insignificant; it's the instrumentality that matters to the director.

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

Junior Member Wolf222 is on a distinguished road Wolf222's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2015 05:27 AM
    Threads

thank you for the info.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

So watch it like I would 2001: Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact, then.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts V Guitar Electric Guitar Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2016 08:54 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gurutar Steam ID: gurutar2015

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    So watch it like I would 2001: Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact, then.
    for me that would mean losing interest early in the movie but finishing it anyway because it's a staple in pop culture and i want to experience what all the hubub is about. except the move the op is talking about isn't a staple of modern culture, so i'd probably lose interest early on and turn it off.

i don't like symbolism. i don't like thinking around corners to arrive at conclusions. i like to be beat over the head with the point someone is trying to make, so there's no room for "interpretation". when i watch a movie that leaves it up to me to determine the director's point, i feel like i'm doing their job for them. that's why i don't get most art. some people look at the Mona Lisa and it makes them think. i look at it and move on because the only thing i saw was a girl smiling.

so if i watched this movie, i would take it at face value and hate it because, as the op said, the plot is a "disaster", and the pacing sucks too. so, pass.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by horrendous View Post
    for me that would mean losing interest early in the movie but finishing it anyway because it's a staple in pop culture and i want to experience what all the hubub is about. except the move the op is talking about isn't a staple of modern culture, so i'd probably lose interest early on and turn it off.
    I get what you mean, but it seems that it's obtaining cult classic status atm or attempting to at least. So in a few years you may want to watch it when it hits that level, much like how people were with Donnie Darko and are now with it.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I get what you mean, but it seems that it's obtaining cult classic status atm or attempting to at least. So in a few years you may want to watch it when it hits that level, much like how people were with Donnie Darko and are now with it.
    this is unrelated, but i loved Donnie Darko from the start. one of my all-time favorites.

on topic, like i said movies that hinge entirely on symbolism don't interest me. it could be said that Donnie Darko is symbolic, or there's some deeper meaning behind it, but i enjoy that film at face value and don't delve into hidden meanings or esoteric concepts. and the op portrayed this movie as extremely unenjoyable when not viewed in a certain mindset.

to further illustrate my sensibility movie-wise, my favorite film of all time is Rambo: First Blood. the whole movie builds up the dramatic ending and Rambo's motives and idealogy are laid bare. there's no need to read between the lines, it's very obviously a commentary on how America treats its veterens, and to a lesser extent gives a soldier's view of the Viet Nam war. there's no chance of misinterpreting the film maker's intention.

so yeah, that's my mindset and what i'm looking for in a film. i don't mind symbolism as long as it's subtle and not for its own sake.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by horrendous View Post
    this is unrelated, but i loved Donnie Darko from the start. one of my all-time favorites.

on topic, like i said movies that hinge entirely on symbolism don't interest me. it could be said that Donnie Darko is symbolic, or there's some deeper meaning behind it, but i enjoy that film at face value and don't delve into hidden meanings or esoteric concepts. and the op portrayed this movie as extremely unenjoyable when not viewed in a certain mindset.

to further illustrate my sensibility movie-wise, my favorite film of all time is Rambo: First Blood. the whole movie builds up the dramatic ending and Rambo's motives and idealogy are laid bare. there's no need to read between the lines, it's very obviously a commentary on how America treats its veterens, and to a lesser extent gives a soldier's view of the Viet Nam war. there's no chance of misinterpreting the film maker's intention.

so yeah, that's my mindset and what i'm looking for in a film. i don't mind symbolism as long as it's subtle and not for its own sake.
    I share the sentiment, but there are still plenty of cult classics that didn't necessarily do well because the film was a bit ahead of it's time with it's meaning and plot. Thus they're far more watched years after their release than on release date This may end up being one as well.

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I share the sentiment, but there are still plenty of cult classics that didn't necessarily do well because the film was a bit ahead of it's time with it's meaning and plot. Thus they're far more watched years after their release than on release date This may end up being one as well.
    yeah, i understand that. i mean i appreciate what it's trying to do, in an age of Transformers and Battleship and The Amazing Spider-Man and The Phantom Menace, it's nice to see a movie break the mold of typical Hollywood cash grabs and follow its own heart. i respect the director for that. i'm assuming this movie wasn't made by a commercial film company, since it probably wouldn't appeal to general movie-going audiences who are looking for a "popcorn movie" (i.e. schlock).

so yeah, kudos to the director for going against the mainstream ideology and making a movie that isn't a soulless product like most movies nowadays. still not my cup o' tea, but well did.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information