AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anita Sarkeesian comments on sexism in video games.

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2019 08:41 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Anita Sarkeesian comments on sexism in video games.

She has a Youtube channel called Feminist Frequency https://www.youtube.com/user/feministfrequency/videos in which she complains about various entertainment media including TV, movies, and video games, which depict sexist tropes. Her most famous videos are the ones that complain about video games depicting women in a negative way (ranging from being a helpless "damsel in distress" all the way up to depicting women as sex objects, or even violently brutalizing women). Below are embeds of her videos in her "Tropes vs Women in Video Games" series on video games. Warning, some of the imagery she complains about, and shows in the videos so the audience can know what she's complaining about, is pretty graphic.

Damsel in Distress (parts 1 to 3)

However, in addition to her criticisms, she also has some positive comments and suggestions.

So, anybody who has an opinion on her videos and/or sexism in video games, please leave a reply below.
    Last edited by DeathBlade/13.666; 04-19-2015 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Edited to prevent excessive use of videos in post.
    Click the banner to visit my website.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use [email protected]

🐮🔪 "I'll see it when I believe it" 🐮🔪 ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2023 02:57 PM
    The corner of Everywhere and Nowhere, ya dig?
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TwilightWolf2508 Steam ID: zombiewolf2508

Default Re: Anita Sarkeesian comments on sexism in video games.

Just another attention seeking SJW. She doesn't know anything about games whatsoever. People should just stop giving her attention. I mean isn't this the same woman who says Nintendo has no strong female characters?
    Last edited by ZombieWolf2508; 04-19-2015 at 12:53 AM.

My mood on a daily basis

Senior Member Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter has a reputation beyond repute Lightfighter's Avatar
    Gil
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-16-2022 08:51 PM
    Threads

LOL what a joke.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

She has some valid points, but other points just make her look like an idiot because she doesn't provide any actual context to things and creates a bland "WAH That's sexist!" vibe. I don't care for the argument about "Damsels in Distress" making woman feel inferior, because it's a generic plot device that spans all media for generations. I do agree that there should be more female lead roles, but for god sakes. Make the role worth something instead of a damn catering platform. Put some sense and logic into the character's design. I'm looking at you Zero-Suit in High Heels Samus. And do more than re-hash stereotypical female MC storylines and plots.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

5. Likes Ωmega liked this post
    🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2019 08:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    She has some valid points, but other points just make her look like an idiot because she doesn't provide any actual context to things and creates a bland "WAH That's sexist!" vibe. I don't care for the argument about "Damsels in Distress" making woman feel inferior, because it's a generic plot device that spans all media for generations. I do agree that there should be more female lead roles, but for god sakes. Make the role worth something instead of a damn catering platform. Put some sense and logic into the character's design. I'm looking at you Zero-Suit in High Heels Samus. And do more than re-hash stereotypical female MC storylines and plots.
    You mention that "damsels in distress" is a common plot from ages back. But that's exactly what Anita's problem with it is. It represents a long entrenched sexist view held by our society, and repeatedly shown in multiple movies, video games, etc. And it depicts women as weak, and unable to protect themselves from harm, which is offensive. I have mixed views on her opinions. I think some of her points are mistaken or misguided, but I agree with her on other points. Her dislike of the "damsels in distress" trope is one point that I agree with her on.

Also, what's an MC storyline?
    Click the banner to visit my website.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use [email protected]

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Quote Originally Posted by Animedude5555 View Post
    You mention that "damsels in distress" is a common plot from ages back. But that's exactly what Anita's problem with it is. It represents a long entrenched sexist view held by our society, and repeatedly shown in multiple movies, video games, etc. And it depicts women as weak, and unable to protect themselves from harm, which is offensive. I have mixed views on her opinions. I think some of her points are mistaken or misguided, but I agree with her on other points. Her dislike of the "damsels in distress" trope is one point that I agree with her on.

Also, what's an MC storyline?
    MC = Main Character, MC Storyline = Main Character's Storyline, which is usually the whole of the game/story

Yes, and complaining about a generic plot device isn't going to change anything. Swapping out the MC for female instead of a male doesn't make it any more better or worse. It's just rehashing rehashed hashed browns. So in my opinion she's wasting her own breath, when she could be doing something more productive. Like coming up with new plots and plot devices. And in Peach and Daisy's defense, almost everyone is weak when compared to the over-sized reptile or ape that kidnapped them. I mean come on, let's put some realism in this. If 16 foot (Just guessing) fire breathing dragon turtle kidnapped me, I'd be pretty weak too. But I wouldn't be in need of a plumber, or plumbing, or a toilet for that matter... Just something to clean myself up with afterwards.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

I also agree with some points she makes in her videos, but the are others that are just so...."really?"

Shes also made comments about how she doesnt play video games, and best yet, a man is writing her scripts. Now, its not that its just any old man writing it, its Jonathan McIntosh who, imo, is a total r-tard. Anita is just a mouth piece for this dude, which makes me kinda sad because, as mentioned before, some of the videos make really good points.

However, I cant also help but notice that they point out a lot of negative tropes with women in the media, but almost none of the good, which I find to be hypocritical.

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Damsel Ball

SES Member Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-16-2017 05:34 AM
    Threads

Another day another double standard.
    If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.

Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts V Guitar Electric Guitar Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2016 08:54 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gurutar Steam ID: gurutar2015

i think Maddox got it right.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MpJGkG1g-Lk

12. Thanks DeathBlade/13.666 thanked for this post
    Likes DeathBlade/13.666 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information