AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finding A Job.. The Struggle?

Senior Member Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Typewriter Dolphin Systems PS3
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2014 08:48 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Finding A Job.. The Struggle?

With my transition back into a civilian life style coming up. Is it really that hard to find a "good" paying job out there? My buddies are always talking about "the struggle" of finding a job out there, haha. So my curiosity spiked, and figured I'd ask the people of AF. ... By the way, most of us getting out the military only have a HSD and around 30+ credit hours at best. I know that may hinder us a bit. My plan is to finish college and get my degree in Criminal Justice and continue my pursuit in law enforcement.

I know you can only speak on where you live or what you've heard, but I'm just curious on how hard it is. Maybe my friends are exaggerating. Lulz.

This is all on account that I'm not eligible to re-enlist.

Thanks for any and all replies. Have a good day.
    Last edited by Equilibrium; 08-29-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Finding A Job.. The Struggle?

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    With my transition back into a civilian life style coming up. Is it really that hard to find a "good" paying job out there? My buddies are always talking about "the struggle" of finding a job out there, haha. So my curiosity spiked, and figured I'd ask the people of AF. ... By the way, most of us getting out the military only have a HSD and around 30+ credit hours at best. I know that may hinder us a bit. My plan is to finish college and get my degree in Criminal Justice and continue my pursuit in law enforcement.

I know you can only speak on where you live or what you've heard, but I'm just curious on how hard it is. Maybe my friends are exaggerating. Lulz.
    If you're going to college for 3-5 years then things are bound to be different when you finish. As for the difficulty of getting a job, that varies greatly based on what you got your degree in. Throught the whole economic crisis there have been some degrees (petroleum engineer comes to mind) that have run at virtually 100% employment right out of college.

The more underwater-basket-weaving ish majors suffered pretty badly however. And graduating with a poor GPA, no references, and no internship could be bad news for many others.

Due to the nature of the economic troubles, architects also had it bad, similar to how people with computer related degrees had things rough after the dot bomb.

I think with the expanding homeland security stuff the major you're interested in is probably doing great right now. But there is some risk there will be a lot of unemployed people with those skills if we happen to decide to scale things back to pre 9/11 levels .

Sadly I only see us continuing to expand. But that should be good for you.

...that sounds like an interesting story.

If it's too interesting you might want to consider if it would impact future job oportunities in that field.
    Last edited by sunnyside; 08-29-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts V Guitar Electric Guitar Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2016 08:54 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gurutar Steam ID: gurutar2015

i live in Michigan, one of the hardest-hit states of the recession, and i've also heard all about how tough it is to find work. but in my experience, fast food is always hiring, as are expanding business (usually chain). it took me about 2 months of solid application-filling and resume-handing-in, calling back and getting my name out before i got a job as night food stocker at a large chain grocery store. i don't have a hsd or any degrees, nor special training.

yes if you're the kind of guy that doesn't proactively search for work, it can be very tough. but if you keep up with local job listing sites (i used indeed.com) and put in apps and resumes to literally every listing that you qualify for, eventually you will find work.

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

I've only had 3 interviews in my life. Got hired on the spot at two out of the three. Only sent out about 5 other misc. applications to other places beforehand. It really just depends I guess.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Make that Youtube money, lol.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Thanks for any and all replies. Have a good day.
    I know right where you're coming from, bud. I got out of the USAF in 2011. Since then I got a A&P license and started working on my BS in Aviation Maintenance Management. I've been applying here and there to folks and even turned down a couple of offers due to certain circumstances. It wasn't until earlier this month that I got a job with CTS International, and even then I just got it and start working on the 3rd. I know for me it was a bit of a pain because there were several jobs I could get easily (McDonalds and Walmart stuff basically), and plenty of offers (mostly from banks and insurance folks); but not many offers in the career field I want to work in (Aircraft Maintenance).

If you want, and have the time. Feel free to PM, VM, e-mail, or talk to me here, and see if there's anything we can get going for you. I don't know how much you've been using or know about your benefits, or what possibilities there are for you in the career field you're looking at, but maybe we can get something worked out so you can get back to work quick.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Man, I had a mission.

I had to withdraw from school when my financial aid ran out, just under a year before I wouldve earned my BA.
    My first two jobs I got because of my parents. They worked there, put in a good word for me and I was hired. First job was 4 years, second was 3.

Then I went a year and a half unemployed. No one wanted to hire me. I thought I had a great background given my work history [7 years of work experience in only 2 places!] but apparently it wasnt. It was hard, really hard....and depressing. I was trapped home because I didnt have a car [still dont, gave my brother my car when he ruined his since he was working and I wasnt].

Luckily a friend [and fellow AF member/admin] offered to spiff up my resume. She made it amazingly professional looking and it got me several interviews. Finally I got in at a place, 50 minutes away from me [but 5 minutes away from my brothers job] and was happy. It was an internship for a flat rate of $50 a day 9-5 [about 6.50 an hour...under minimum wage, and thats not including the off-time hours they wanted me to work at home] and it seemed like I earned more in unemployment than I was here. I updated my profile, added my internship [which I had only been at for a few weeks] and began applying again. Had one interview. Nailed it. Was offered the job the next day.

Tomorrow is my last day at my internship and I start at my new job, as an actual designer [what I went to school for] on Tuesday [what with Monday being Labor Day].
    I think what really helped was the fact that I was already in a job. They seemed to understand why I was leaving [driving 35 miles for only $50 a day? They thought it was a crime with how little they paid me] and loved the work I showed them and how knowledgeable, humble and pleasant I was.

Its hard, and it sucks. BUT you gotta keep pushing and trying. Spam people with your resume [make sure its eye catching] and just interview, interview, interview. I think Ive been to about 6 interviews overall in my life, once I go in I tend to do very well, but my resume sucked and no one wanted to even call me with questions. Once my resume was updated I got a few calls, and finally a few interviews.

I guess in the end my advice is not to give up, ever. There will always be 50 resume better than yours, but you will find the place out of 100 where your experience is what theyre looking for

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

8. Thanks Hanamaru Kunikida thanked for this post
    Likes Hanamaru Kunikida liked this post
    Team Aki! -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2013 12:09 AM
    Threads

For some reason, I think it is very important to know what field of studies is most needed depending on the location you're living in.

I just graduated with a Bachelor's Degree on Early Childhood and Family Studies, and I live in Washington state. Early childhood education is perhaps one of the most important and concerned field of studies in this country. I know some friends who studied business and accounting are having the hardest time to find a job after they graduated. However, most people I know who studied the same field as me already found their desired positions, and one of them even got a position of lead teacher. I won't say it is easy for graduates of early education to find a job, but I know that this field of study is a big concern here.

I had an interview at Bright Horizon (known as the top 100 companies you'd want to work for in the world) a couple weeks ago, and I was asked to come back on Tuesday (a couple days ago) for an interaction interview. I think I have at least 80% chance to be hired because the supervisor already discussed schedules with me.

So yeah, it depends on your field of study, and where you are at. But don't stress, because finding a job does take lots of efforts and patience.

Senior Member Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Typewriter Dolphin Systems PS3
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2014 08:48 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I hope I replied to everyone adequately. I did this on my phone while on post. I'll add more details if anyone feels the need to know more. I thank you all for your stories, thoughts and experiences.

Have a nice night everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post

I think with the expanding homeland security stuff the major you're interested in is probably doing great right now. But there is some risk there will be a lot of unemployed people with those skills if we happen to decide to scale things back to pre 9/11 levels .

Sadly I only see us continuing to expand. But that should be good for you.

...that sounds like an interesting story.

If it's too interesting you might want to consider if it would impact future job oportunities in that field.
    Yes, I'm interested in working with FBI, DEA, Homeland Security, or similar law enforcement agencies. They all require a 4 year degree, usually in accounting, law, or computer science.

Quote Originally Posted by horrendous View Post
    i live in Michigan, one of the hardest-hit states of the recession, and i've also heard all about how tough it is to find work. but in my experience, fast food is always hiring, as are expanding business (usually chain). it took me about 2 months of solid application-filling and resume-handing-in, calling back and getting my name out before i got a job as night food stocker at a large chain grocery store. i don't have a hsd or any degrees, nor special training.

yes if you're the kind of guy that doesn't proactively search for work, it can be very tough. but if you keep up with local job listing sites (i used indeed.com) and put in apps and resumes to literally every listing that you qualify for, eventually you will find work.
    I mean no disrespect to you, but as a Marine I can not work at a job that I think is beneath me. It's part of my ego I suppose.

I've sent out resumes and applications to several police agencies. Strangely haven't heard anything back from them.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    I know right where you're coming from, bud. I got out of the USAF in 2011. Since then I got a A&P license and started working on my BS in Aviation Maintenance Management. I've been applying here and there to folks and even turned down a couple of offers due to certain circumstances. It wasn't until earlier this month that I got a job with CTS International, and even then I just got it and start working on the 3rd. I know for me it was a bit of a pain because there were several jobs I could get easily (McDonalds and Walmart stuff basically), and plenty of offers (mostly from banks and insurance folks); but not many offers in the career field I want to work in (Aircraft Maintenance).
    Yes, I almost refuse to work outta my MOS field. I have 4 years as MP with K-9 training. So with that said, DEA, FBI, and Homeland Security are my preferred options. They all require a BA though. Luckily I still have my GI Bill.

I'll DM you on my free time and we'll talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ωmega View Post
    I guess in the end my advice is not to give up, ever. There will always be 50 resume better than yours, but you will find the place out of 100 where your experience is what theyre looking for
    Your story was quite motivational. Regarding spamming people with resumes, I've sent my résumé out to 10+ police agencies, not one word back. I worry I may have to work at McDonalds. As a Marine, I feel it is degrading.

Quote Originally Posted by -akichan- View Post
    For some reason, I think it is very important to know what field of studies is most needed depending on the location you're living in.

So yeah, it depends on your field of study, and where you are at. But don't stress, because finding a job does take lots of efforts and patience.
    Sadly, I feel as if everyone is out to get a Criminal Justice degree. I refuse to work outta my MOS field. Which was K-9 Military Police. With that, I feel like I wanna work with the FBI or DEA. They all require a 4 year degree. My worries is I'll have to work at some fast food joint as a Marine while I finish college. That's a little depressing to me.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I've been looking for work since I left college some eight years ago. I've run through all the legal stuff - creating, handing out CVs, applying at agencies, searching online and locally, asking by word-of-mouth, government programs.

I've had only three interviews, a few voluntary part-time positions and they all fell through.

The problem I have is I have a pretty big handicap with really poor sight, and whilst I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud so-to-say, nobody really wants to hire someone who's disabled - not to mention that it severely limits what I can actually do due to productivity limitations or health-and-safety laws.

Seriously, I'm not a stick-in-the-mud. I decided to not mention on my CV that I have bad sight, someone called me up asking me to discuss some work revolving around warehouse stock-taking. My mother was taking the call since I'd been in the shower ... but then when she mentioned I have bad eyesight and I would want to head in - on my own time and money - to look around, talk to them, get to know everything ... they hung up. No, not even kidding. As soon as it was mentioned bam, byebye phone call. They didn't even care that I didn't have a forklift license, they could have trained me. But oh yeah, I'm legally not allowed to drive any vehicle. Boof, can't do the job. Useless.

I'm going back to college in a few weeks to try to broaden my range of knowledge in the hopes of being able to look out further in terms of the scopes of work I can do or am comfortable with - I've only got qualifications in computer maintenance and basic coding, and I've tried administration and reception-work several times, and I just do not sit well with it. I guess you've got better prospects than I am but even so just don't give up. Times are tough, yes, so you have to make the most of what you can grasp.

FML.
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I mean no disrespect to you, but as a Marine I can not work at a job that I think is beneath me. It's part of my ego I suppose.

I've sent out resumes and applications to several police agencies. Strangely haven't heard anything back from them.
    no, i understand that once you're a marine, you're always a marine, and it's hard to adjust to civilian life after a tour. i can't even imagine going from harsh climates, constant danger and pumping adrenaline to flipping burgers at mickey d's. unfortunately, we muricans don't treat our veterens very well back home.

oh, and my advice to you in getting a pd'd attention - be a lot more proactive. don't justnput in a resume and hope to get a call back, physically do down to the pd and say "hello, i put my resume in here a while ago and i was wondering if you'd had a chance to look at it? no? well my name is stan smith (or whatever your name is) and i'm very interested in joining the force. could i speak with your supervisor about it?"

that's pretty much what i did at my current job, so speakinv from experience, thiz tact works.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I just sent in an application and because I had marketable skills, they were like "shut up and take our money". So I did.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I just sent in an application and because I had marketable skills, they were like "shut up and take our money". So I did.
    cool story, bro. for those of us without marketable skills, perserverence is the best tool. i don't have a hsd or ged, no college, no real previous work experience, and i ended up getting hired in at a multi-state chain grocery conglomerate. starts as minimum, as it should for someone with no credentials, but i'm in a union, get a pay raise every 350 hours, optional health, life, dental and optical insurance, and since i work third shift, incentive pay. lemme tell you it beats the living shet out of the alternative, which for me was fast food.

in order to get into a place when other people who may be more qualied than you also want the job, you gotta do better than what they do. they apply, you call in. they call in, you walk in. they walk in, you walk in every few days to inquire about the job.

@OP - as long as you put in the work, you shouldn't be doomed to work fast food.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

So why don't you develop some skills? They're pretty much a must-have if you want anything other than a monotonous dead-end job that will slowly suck the life out of you until you're nothing but a dessicated soulless husk of a man.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

trust me, it's been on my mind. i wasn't able to complete higb school because i got very sick, and by the time i was well again, i was 20. i started night school that same year for my hsd, and this year will be my last. after that i'm going to college, though i'm not sure which major, maybe music theory. there's a university and a 4-year college right near here.

i don't plan on working a dead-end job for the rest of my life like my parents.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Yes, I almost refuse to work outta my MOS field. I have 4 years as MP with K-9 training. So with that said, DEA, FBI, and Homeland Security are my preferred options. They all require a BA though. Luckily I still have my GI Bill.

I'll DM you on my free time and we'll talk.
    Luckily you've got a great MOS for jobs in Civy life. At the very least you can be a security guard while you work on your degree. You may want to look into working with TSA and local/state police as well, being that you're an MP and work with MWD's. They can always use folks with K-9 experience.

Talk to you later.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Dont worry, a lot of us feel the same. We went to school being told "you need a degree if you dont wanna work at McDonalds!!" Once we make something of ourselves we're being 'picky' because we refuse to work there. It was hard for me to do a seasonal job at Toys R Us with 5 years of college and 7 years work experience under my belt. And they treated me like crap....totally quit that job after 4 days of working there

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin View Post
    I'm going back to college in a few weeks to try to broaden my range of knowledge in the hopes of being able to look out further in terms of the scopes of work I can do or am comfortable with - I've only got qualifications in computer maintenance and basic coding, and I've tried administration and reception-work several times, and I just do not sit well with it. I guess you've got better prospects than I am but even so just don't give up. Times are tough, yes, so you have to make the most of what you can grasp.

FML.
    Ever thought about a call-center type job while you're working on skills?

[QUOTE=Equilibrium;2782826]Yes, I'm interested in working with FBI, DEA, Homeland Security, or similar law enforcement agencies. They all require a 4 year degree, usually in accounting, law, or computer science.

My worries is I'll have to work at some fast food joint as a Marine while I finish college. That's a little depressing to me.
    Trying to work during college is a bit tricky, especially if you're trying to blend it with classes as opposed to getting a summer job. That said you might want to look for security work. Openings are more likely availible weekends and nights, which you might be used to working and which won't conflict with classes.

You also might want to consider not getting a job and instead taking more classes or getting involved in projects your profs are doing so you'll get to the point where you can do an internship sooner. That's what I did. I graduated in four years by cramming four years of classes into three years and then doing work for a year in there. However internships (at least in my field) paid about triple minimum wage and provided relevent experience and references that looked good on my resume.

On that note you really want to have someone go over your resume for you. It's so easy to miss your own errors and they might have some good ideas. And in any case make sure you don't miss you chance at getting into college due to paperwork deadlines, you've probably got quite a few of those coming up right now.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ever thought about a call-center type job while you're working on skills?
    I have panic attacks trying to talk to strangers on phones. This is also something that I tried to fix by the various admin/reception-based work I tried out, and it didn't work out. I've never been very good at interacting with other people anyway. Yay for autism. >.>

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I have panic attacks trying to talk to strangers on phones. This is also something that I tried to fix by the various admin/reception-based work I tried out, and it didn't work out. I've never been very good at interacting with other people anyway. Yay for autism. >.>
    Do you have an official dianosis for the autism, vision, and anything else you might have? There are a number of resources availible for disabled persons. There are also some laws out there that can help too. I believe we've got a law in my area where employeers can avoid a bunch of the usual legal hoops associated with hiring someone if they hire someone with a disability. You may find additional assistance for some government positions (which makes a bit of sense, since getting you off unemployment and other assistance makes you a relatively cheap hire tax dollar wise).

@Equilibrium

On that note there are things about hiring vets out there as well. Particularily if you're dealing with injuries sustained as part of your service.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Ever think about a internet based job? Say, http://staff.tumblr.com/post/5805931...fficially-open ?

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Do you have an official dianosis for the autism, vision, and anything else you might have? There are a number of resources availible for disabled persons.
    I have an official diagnosis for the vision and am in fact registered as blind (I can see, but my vision is too bad to be classed as 'half-blind'.) The autism is unofficial but on my own research and experiences I do exhibit several severe and accurate autistic tendancies, and my parents have also mentioned that several doctors have noted the same things. I'm just too lazy to get a proper diagnosis ... also, y'know, that involves talking to people.

As for available resources, I'm doing what I can but since the recession it's become bad enough around here for normal people to find work. Said things are why I'm going back to college in a few weeks.

Ever think about a internet based job? Say, http://staff.tumblr.com/post/5805931...fficially-open ?
    Break out your 'mother of God' image meme because I've NEVER used tumblr ... ever.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Break out your 'mother of God' image meme because I've NEVER used tumblr ... ever.
    Seriously? It's just an average blog type network. Kinda like the AF Blog stuff, but in a full stand-alone social network setting.
    Last edited by DeathBlade/13.666; 08-30-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Seriously? It's just an average blog type network. Kinda like the AF Blog stuff, but in a full stand-alone social network setting.
    But the people who use it, though...

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    But the people who use it, though...
    Well that can't be helped. It's just a reflection of average life, much like all of social media.

Closed Thread

Thread Information