AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wannabe Japanese?

Thats life. Awesome? Shin Natsume has a reputation beyond repute Shin Natsume has a reputation beyond repute Shin Natsume has a reputation beyond repute Shin Natsume has a reputation beyond repute Shin Natsume has a reputation beyond repute Shin Natsume has a reputation beyond repute Shin Natsume has a reputation beyond repute Shin Natsume has a reputation beyond repute Shin Natsume has a reputation beyond repute Shin Natsume has a reputation beyond repute Shin Natsume has a reputation beyond repute Shin Natsume's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-22-2012 06:06 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 4768-7102-5291

My god, I'm glad I'm not the only one that notices this characteristic of people. I have a friend that watches a ton of anime and swears up and down he is Japanese. He wants to go to the country (knowing nothing about the region other than maybe TGS XD) , thinks he knows the language (meaning only a few words) and listens to Japanese music all the time. It is very annoying. The only area he ever mentions is Tokyo -_-
    Last edited by Shin Natsume; 04-15-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Senior Member Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-30-2010 06:45 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    Not one to get into people's business, but are you aware of the intricacies of the Japanese culture? The Chinese and the Japanese may have different cultures, but both have cultures deeply rooted in traditional customs and etiquette. You thought Chinese was bad? I'm not sure if you are aware, but here are some Japanese customs some people do not know about (or just forget when the moment hits them):
    -Don't stick chopsticks straight up in a bowl of rice
    -Never pass food from chopstick to chopstick
    -Take off your coat/jacket BEFORE entering a house (and don't put it back on until after you leave)
    -NEVER wear slippers on tatami mats
    -Don't cut your nails at night (don't ask, just do it)
    -NO TIPPING!!
    -Don't even try "going Dutch"; the Japanese do not what that is.
    -Never give gifts in sets of four (since "four" is pronounced the same as death) or nine
    -For the love of God, NEVER write a person's name (including your own) in red

It gets crazier.

California rolls ARE sushi. In fact, California rolls are a type of sushi called "makizushi"(巻寿司). For those who often make their own sushi, this is the type sushi that is made using a "makisu" (巻簾), a bamboo mat that you wrap the ingredients in.

First, the California Roll was actually invented by a Japanese sushi chef; it didn't just pop up out of nowhere. Second, the word "sushi" ([b]寿司) refers to the cooked vinegar rice, NOT the fish (raw fish is "sashimi [刺身]). Raw fish is the most common type of topping for sushi, but is not the only one that can be (or has been) used.

Though you might like that fact.
    I know those rules. xD Yet I break a few of them sometimes. And for Chinese, We cant write it in red too... lool. I still do that. xD And for the set of four gifting too.... Mom always gets anal when ever I think about giving things to a person and it always end up to a number 4.

Really? California rolls have vinegar....? It... dont taste much like it.... To be honest... It doesnt taste like it should be sushi at all... Maybe its the over used mayo.... :X

As for cutting your nails at night... I think I know why.. xD

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Father View Post
    It's pretty beawooish if you eat other foods that aren't of the aforementioned origin with chopsticks.
    .... Really.....? So like... Salads and Nachos? I just use it because its easier and less messy and work... lol
    Last edited by Sakura Holic; 04-15-2010 at 12:32 PM.

[[ ~Missing the old アンティック-珈琲店~ ]]

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

KEEP IN MIND: that a non-japanese person can like the culture, watch anime, speak the language and RESPECT THE CULTURE, while still keeping in touch with there own. Which keeps them from being a anime fan.

That's just incorrect. A person can satisfy all of the above requirements, be a fan, and still not be a beawoo. Whether or not that person is a beawoo depends on their overall behavior - using Japanese words in English sentences incorrectly...and their motives for their behavior or fandom. Everyone has at least one "thing" that is close to their heart...perhaps this is it for some people. I'm pretty sure mine are muscle cars and guns.

What is your term of a ******? - A person who behaves like a douche and injects Japanese culture - that they could not possibly have - into their everyday life and language. Kawaii has it's place. In a Japanese sentence. I suspect that Gwen Stefani is a beawoo. Watch the videos with the Harajuku Girls for proof.

Are you one? Whats the difference? - No. I like Japan as a nation, and would like to visit there. I don't think I'd want to move there, unless it was for a real reason, as in I got a job that pays megabucks there. I'm curious about the food. I've been to Asian grocers, but in Amarillo we have more Chinese and Thai ingredients. I know I don't like sushi and I don't like raw eggs in my noodles. [Been to a Japanese restaurant]. I consider myself an anime fan, but not a die hard one, and it's not the only thing I watch. If I went to Japan, would I get cool Bleach merch? Hells yeah. But I'd also be looking for cool stuff to do that doesn't involve video games and anime. I'm curious about other cultures in general.

Have you been called that before? - No. It would be a pretty hard accusation to back up, too.

Were you confused just as much as I was? - No, hanging around here and other anime-based sites, as well as ED and such pretty much cleared it up for me in a matter of days.

Is there a fine line? - That depends on the person's behavior and ideology.

Moderator / Chat Admin Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-06-2013 05:06 PM
    Threads

There's a pretty simple test, honestly.

Japanophile test:

Do you, unprovoked, annoy the people around you with your obsession with Japan and/or Japanese stuff? y/n

Also, it's important to note that this behavior is the symptom, not the disease. I've seen a few people touch on it already - White Americans have no culture. Not unless you count Rednecks or Hollywood as cultures, and even then that fails to define the majority (thankfully). Actually, American Indians are the one thing that would qualify as an American culture, and even most of the people like myself who have Native American blood are still separated from that culture.

This is where the white obsession with Other Stuff comes from. Japanese culture, Black culture, the Renaissance, you name it. "Oh hither thou! Was the late 16th century not truly marvelous? Wenches, chivalry, honor and servitude! Huzzah!" (No. No, it really wasn't.)

Frankly I don't blame them, at least they're trying to fill their lives with SOMETHING. Sure, they're doing it wrong. But they don't know any better and nobody is willing or able to teach them.

Face it. America is an import country, and that includes any sense of culture we could ever hope to have. Is any one better than the other? Nope. Liking something isn't a crime, the line you cross is simply when you're annoying about it. Case in point: Twilight Fans. Japan is not the enemy. Bored, annoying people with no life or culture of their own are.

Anime Forum's First Generation

Quality Since 1999

Member truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-21-2011 10:12 PM
    Threads

I'm unsure what the word from the quote is since it's censored. But, what it's referring to are people who are overly obsessed with it all. There are people who can only talk about anime, who only put time and effort into learning Japanese, who will only listen to music that's made by a Japanese person and if the lyrics are in Japanese, and just overall idiots.

There is a difference in being into/interested in all these things, but it's a complete different scenario to be obsessed with it. Let me give you an example:

-In High School, I knew a kid who spent every class trying to teach himself Japanese. He would not do anything English-related, Math-related, etc.-related. He ONLY worked on Japanese. He's dropped out because he kept getting held as a freshman because he failed every class he had. He WILL NOT do anything OTHER than study Japanese and watch anime. This is obsession.

-Also, back when I was in High School, there was a girl who was incredibly into Jpop. Where as, there isn't anything wrong with this idea in general, but the way she went to brag about it was terrible. She'd pass a random group of people who would be have a conversation about Nirvana, or Slayer, or Eminem, or [insert famous American artist here] and she would interrupt them and say that they were idiotic philistines listening to that garbage and that Morning Musume is the greatest musical artist in existence. She tried to argue that Monring Musume has done more for music in terms of historical reference than Beethoven once. This is obsession.

-There are **** tons of people, of all ages, that walk around and will talk about nothing other than anime. I love anime, but these people make me want to just stop watching it. All they do, talk about, think about, etc. etc. is anime. Their entire life is based around them sitting at their computers watching the new animes, or buying the latest anime models to put on shelves and stare at, or even making it where their sex drives are only in tuned with anime characters (in other words, "3D WOMEN ARE UGLY, I HAVE TO JERK TO THE 2D WORLD!"). This is obsession.

Now:

-A lot of my friends, as well as myself, watch a lot of anime because we like it, listen to some Jpop/Jrock but don't talk about it like it's the greatest thing ever nor argue about such, and are all interested in things about Japan. I for one, am interested in a few fashion styles that sparked in Japan. However, we don't talk about these things with every word. We like these things, but we're also into a vast amount of other things, and actually live life for life and not for Japanese/Jpop/anime/etc. This isn't obsession. This is just being a fan.
    Last edited by truthillusion; 04-16-2010 at 05:24 AM.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zansa View Post
    William Wallace could kill the japanese with 1 hit.
    Or so he thinks. William Wallace is delirious from loss of blood, as he lays bleeding to death in a road-side, covered in Shurikens and Katana-slashes. And what he thinks is his sword is a poisonous snake.
    Last edited by Eris; 04-21-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: My shurikens were missing an 'u'

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by truthillusion View Post
    -In High School, I knew a kid who spent every class trying to teach himself Japanese. He would not do anything English-related, Math-related, etc.-related. He ONLY worked on Japanese. He's dropped out because he kept getting held as a freshman because he failed every class he had. He WILL NOT do anything OTHER than study Japanese and watch anime. This is obsession.

-Also, back when I was in High School, there was a girl who was incredibly into Jpop. Where as, there isn't anything wrong with this idea in general, but the way she went to brag about it was terrible. She'd pass a random group of people who would be have a conversation about Nirvana, or Slayer, or Eminem, or [insert famous American artist here] and she would interrupt them and say that they were idiotic philistines listening to that garbage and that Morning Musume is the greatest musical artist in existence. She tried to argue that Monring Musume has done more for music in terms of historical reference than Beethoven once. This is obsession.
    1) .... Double Yu Tee Eff.... Thats VERY... "smart".... Does he know how much that will backfire at him if he doesnt get his education and "strives" to live in Japan let alone even GO to school there one day?

2) Its ganna be the same thing when some people listens to Gackt or Phantasmagoria or Suicide Ali ect. They're ganna be like "What teh eff is this?!" And really, American music... if you look hard enough there are a big handful of songs. Especially rap. And I dont usually look towards that. Now I look for Eminem.

Simple Truth CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2010 02:07 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Sometimes people are just plain idiots. Anime are for entertainment, not your pathway to becoming a Japanese.

I myself may have some desires to become a Japanese due to their nice culture, people and overall environment, still acting like one without any proper social consiousness is plain idiotic. I hope Raptor Jesus purges all wannabe Japanese with Lord's mighty fury.
    "To do is to be" - Descartes, "To be is to do" - Voltaire, "Do be do be do" - Sinatra.

NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cless Alvein View Post
    I've seen a few people touch on it already - White Americans have no culture. Not unless you count Rednecks or Hollywood as cultures, and even then that fails to define the majority (thankfully). Actually, American Indians are the one thing that would qualify as an American culture, and even most of the people like myself who have Native American blood are still separated from that culture.
    These are garbage lies. Of course Americans (white or otherwise) have their own culture. Ever heard of Football (American Football/Handegg)? What about tipping? We measure our weight in pounds and our height in feet and inches. We have our own distinct standard pronunciation of English. We are far more weary of taxes and government programs than our European counterparts. We put the day between the month and the year when writing dates.
    We have out own historical archetypes too, like the Pilgrim and the Cow Boy.

This is where the white obsession with Other Stuff comes from. Japanese culture, Black culture, the Renaissance, you name it. "Oh hither thou! Was the late 16th century not truly marvelous? Wenches, chivalry, honor and servitude! Huzzah!" (No. No, it really wasn't.)
    The thing is, the Japanese often mimic our culture. How would they do that if we didn't have culture?
    Another dumb thing to do is to separate "Black culture" as you call it from American culture. You speak of a subculture that exclusively originated in America, just as the otaku culture in Japan is merely a subculture.

Frankly I don't blame them, at least they're trying to fill their lives with SOMETHING. Sure, they're doing it wrong. But they don't know any better and nobody is willing or able to teach them.
    It's not "I have nothing so I'll search for something", but rather a mix of "the grass is greener on the other side" and "the fish doubts the existence of the water". It happens with all types of people who are exposure to other cultures. Heck it even happens with phenomena that aren't even cultural. I'm not sure what compelled you to make a racist generalization about white Americans.

Face it. America is an import country, and that includes any sense of culture we could ever hope to have. Is any one better than the other? Nope. Liking something isn't a crime, the line you cross is simply when you're annoying about it. Case in point: Twilight Fans. Japan is not the enemy. Bored, annoying people with no life or culture of their own are.
    The irony here is that Japan imports crap loads of it's culture from America and then stamps their own watermark onto it.

Moderator / Chat Admin Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-06-2013 05:06 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    These are garbage lies. Of course Americans (white or otherwise) have their own culture. Ever heard of Football (American Football/Handegg)? What about tipping? We measure our weight in pounds and our height in feet and inches. We have our own distinct standard pronunciation of English. We are far more weary of taxes and government programs than our European counterparts. We put the day between the month and the year when writing dates.
    None of these things are "white culture" in the sense of heritage, personal identity and racial pride, the way it's obviously intended in this context. English would have been a passable example only if there were a white equivalent to Ebonics. There isn't.

We have out own historical archetypes too, like the Pilgrim and the Cow Boy.
    If you actually knew anything about pilgrims or cowboys you would not have used them to support your argument of white American culture. Hint: Movies are not historically accurate. Pioneers would have been a better example than Pilgrims, and even then you'd be outdated by 150 years.

The thing is, the Japanese often mimic our culture. How would they do that if we didn't have culture?
    Baseball and some music styles, mainly. You could argue that Country and Rock and Roll are the white counterparts to Rap and R&B, and that would be about the best point you could hope to make. And those musical sub-culture pockets such as "Raver" or "Goth" certainly do the job of filling the same void that Japanophilia does, in more domestic but equally embarrassing ways.

Another dumb thing to do is to separate "Black culture" as you call it from American culture. You speak of a subculture that exclusively originated in America, just as the otaku culture in Japan is merely a subculture.
    Far from dumb, that was the POINT. National identity and cultural identity are not the same thing in America. That's why we're the only nation that still divides people into these special ethnic groups like "African American" or "Asian American". You will NEVER find an "African Italian" or an "Asian Spaniard". Which actually is kind of dumb, but it doesn't make me dumb for acknowledging it in a discussion about American cultural identity.

I'm not sure what compelled you to make a racist generalization about white Americans.

Racial generalization, not racist. And I'm compelled by many years of directly and personally observing most of these groups. Sadly, watching Football and getting drunk IS the closest thing a lot of white Americans have to establishing a cultural identity. The rest is based on myths about the past and staying in power, both of which are rapidly deteriorating. However, that's a bit above the scope of the people who throw themselves at things like Anime and Twilight, who are basically looking for something more appealing to define themselves and their interests than Britney Spears, cornbread, or owning a fast car. To say nothing of the way that drug use probably defines American youth more than all of the above combined.

Anime Forum's First Generation

Quality Since 1999

Lawful Good~*I <3<3<3~Torm*~ Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-03-2015 11:24 AM
    Threads

After beating the Third Reich, the only thing to distance themselves considering the many similarities in history would be white guilt.

Safe to say, it's backfiring big time now, even if the Merry-cans are as politically correct as ever.

I'd also add being political correct, xenocentrism and tolerance for the sake of tolerating as other modern white cultural hallmarks.

Pretty certain those values are -everywhere- nowadays with everything from human rights to "increased understanding". At least where there is white guilt.
    Last edited by Zedekiah; 04-23-2010 at 05:56 AM.

The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal.

Junior Member jippy95 is on a distinguished road jippy95's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-23-2010 10:08 AM
    Threads

wait so is white culture bad?
    ATIMISK THE PIROT LORD

STN-J Witch Hunter Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-26-2016 11:55 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I also read that to give an unwrapped present in Japan is considered rude.
    320 years have passed since the coven sank into the dark

I may have been born in The United States, but running through my veins is 70,000% UK blood.

Here's something from my blog:
    http://www.animeforum.com/blog.php?1...y-Special-Blog

Senior Member Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-28-2010 06:23 PM
    Threads

When I visited Japan, my uncle quickly scolded me for sticking my chopsticks in my rice bowl when I was finished eating. I recall one of the waitresses giving me a worried look after doing it, too.

Whats the dealy-o with this? Sorry if it was already adressed, I just wrote an exam and I don't feel like reading through the entire thread due to fatigue.
    ~Condey, The Northamerimori~

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Sena View Post
    I also read that to give an unwrapped present in Japan is considered rude.
    Giving an unwrapped gift, in and of itself, is not really rude. Usually it will suffice if the gift was in a bag, a bag from the store you got the gift from (bare in mind that if you buy the gift in Japan, you should have it wrapped). However, this is only on etiquette grounds (most Japanese won't harp on you for not knowing the intricacies of their culture). The wrapping and presentation of the gift is just as important (if not more important) as the gift itself, so if you really care, you should wrap your gift (nicely).

Quote Originally Posted by Condey View Post
    When I visited Japan, my uncle quickly scolded me for sticking my chopsticks in my rice bowl when I was finished eating. I recall one of the waitresses giving me a worried look after doing it, too.

Whats the dealy-o with this? Sorry if it was already adressed, I just wrote an exam and I don't feel like reading through the entire thread due to fatigue.
    The problem was that you committed a social faux pas. You do not stick your chopsticks in food nor do you stab your food with chopsticks. This is even more so for rice because it is done at funerals for food being placed on the alter and it also resembles incense that is being burned

To the worried waitress, you looked as if you were either giving reverence to your not-dead uncle or giving a ceremonial meal to your not-dead uncle (and decided to do that in a restaurant).
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

None of these things are "white culture" in the sense of heritage, personal identity and racial pride, the way it's obviously intended in this context. English would have been a passable example only if there were a white equivalent to Ebonics. There isn't.
    Culture is culture. What does anime or manga have to do with heritage, personal identity, or racial pride? Nothing. Why do you hold these criteria to American culture but not Japanese culture?

If you actually knew anything about pilgrims or cowboys you would not have used them to support your argument of white American culture. Hint: Movies are not historically accurate. Pioneers would have been a better example than Pilgrims, and even then you'd be outdated by 150 years.
    Don't give me some condescending hint as if it's my responsibility to make sense of your nonsensical argument. You haven't explained why pioneers would be an better example nor have you explained why pilgrims and cowboys aren't a valid example. Therefore you really don't have a point. You might as well just have said "No".

Baseball and some music styles, mainly. You could argue that Country and Rock and Roll are the white counterparts to Rap and R&B, and that would be about the best point you could hope to make. And those musical sub-culture pockets such as "Raver" or "Goth" certainly do the job of filling the same void that Japanophilia does, in more domestic but equally embarrassing ways.
    Just look at your own post. We're exploding with culture and you're doing every thing possible to hide or trivialize it.

Far from dumb, that was the POINT. National identity and cultural identity are not the same thing in America.
    One what grounds is the subculture which you call "Black culture", belonging strictly to black people and not every American including non-black Americans? There are plenty of non-blacks who grew up in the inner city and contributed to that culture. Does the fact that the constitution was framed by a bunch of white men make American politics (American politics are another aspect of American culture) something that belongs exclusively to white Americans? Of course not!

Racial generalization, not racist. And I'm compelled by many years of directly and personally observing most of these groups.
    When you judge someone by the color of their skins instead of the content of their characters, you are being racist. I have no problem with racists who can back up their ideology. However I don't see you accomplishing that.

Sadly, watching Football and getting drunk IS the closest thing a lot of white Americans have to establishing a cultural identity.
    What do you mean "sadly"? Why should someone be ashamed of watching football and drinking beer? You've gone from "white Americans have no culture" to "white American culture is sad".

The rest is based on myths about the past and staying in power, both of which are rapidly deteriorating.
    What culture is complete without myths? Ever heard of King Aurthur, Zues, or Izanagi?

However, that's a bit above the scope of the people who throw themselves at things like Anime and Twilight, who are basically looking for something more appealing to define themselves and their interests than Britney Spears, cornbread, or owning a fast car.
    Do you think that the fact that some Japanese are so obsessed with American culture that they reject Japanese culture is a indicative that Japanese culture doesn't exist? Some Japanese people are looking for something more appealing to define themselves and their interests than rice or owning a bullet train commuter pass. Also, how is Twilight not American considering it was written by an American author?

To say nothing of the way that drug use probably defines American youth more than all of the above combined.
    All developed countries have youth who abuse drugs. Which drug they tend to abuse is the cultural aspect to it.
    Last edited by Wio; 04-23-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Senior Member Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Rainbow Ribbon 104 - Cubone Saxophone
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2016 09:09 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bassoonist26

I just watch anime. I have like no interest in Japanese culture whatsoever nor do I have much interest to go there, either. I'm not going to be stupid and start saying Japanese words in the middle of my English sentences, either.

To be honest it really annoys me when people do that. Especially when they're going even more over the top by adding things like "desu", "nyah", "mew" and stuff like that... That just annoys me more than anything.

I've never been called anything for watching anime. Mostly because I watch it (among other TV shows.) and discuss it with the friends that watch it too. I accept it as a valid form of entertainment, but not necessarily superior to anything else. (Although One Piece is my favorite series from anything.)
    Last edited by Aulos; 04-24-2010 at 01:15 PM.

~Made by me~

Senior Member Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

There's a pretty simple test, honestly.

Japanophile test:

Do you, unprovoked, annoy the people around you with your obsession with Japan and/or Japanese stuff? y/n

Also, it's important to note that this behavior is the symptom, not the disease. I've seen a few people touch on it already - White Americans have no culture. Not unless you count Rednecks or Hollywood as cultures, and even then that fails to define the majority (thankfully). Actually, American Indians are the one thing that would qualify as an American culture, and even most of the people like myself who have Native American blood are still separated from that culture.

I think you are confusing culture with old things.

Culture as defined by the dictionary:

the integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations b : the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (as diversions or a way of life} shared by people in a place or time <popular culture> <southern culture> c : the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization <a corporate culture focused on the bottom line>

My point is that every society has its own unique culture. Just because America isn't a thousand year old culture with swords and Yukatas, does not mean that it has no culture. Every social convention, norm and sense of style that we revere is all indicative of our cultural heritage.

Also, do you not realize just how much of North American culture has effected Japan following WW2? Almost all of their current pop-culture is simply them trying to emulate their American influences in a Japanese way.
    Hell, anime originally began by copying the distinctive style of Disney and Kamen Rider is simply the Japanese response to Superman.

If anything, America is an export culture. They have defined the cultural standard of the world for about two centuries and are still going strong. Whether or not you can accept it, the fact that there is a McDonalds in ever country of the world is a good example of just how far Americas cultural reach extends.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Racial generalization, not racist. And I'm compelled by many years of directly and personally observing most of these groups. Sadly, watching Football and getting drunk IS the closest thing a lot of white Americans have to establishing a cultural identity. The rest is based on myths about the past and staying in power, both of which are rapidly deteriorating. However, that's a bit above the scope of the people who throw themselves at things like Anime and Twilight, who are basically looking for something more appealing to define themselves and their interests than Britney Spears, cornbread, or owning a fast car. To say nothing of the way that drug use probably defines American youth more than all of the above combined.
    Why aren't they cultural artifacts? I think you're confusing culture with things that are old and still practiced today. Culture is always changing and constantly taking on a new face. That lasted dance craze you see on T.V? Culture. California rolls? Culture. Everyone starts wearing wool fedoras again? Culture.

And before you say these are fads, they are but they are also more then that. Culture is simply the culmination of the various fads and memes that define our daily lives.

Your point being? Samurais are grossly misrepresented in anime. I seriously doubt that most samurai had the ability to defy gravity or cut a tree in half with a single blow. However, no one questions that the samurai is a cultural artifact of Japan just because of how he is depicted in movies and on television.

Just because cowboys and pilgrims are a little misrepresented does not mean that they aren't cultural archtypes unique to America. They are a part of American culture handed down through stories and folklore, just like the great samurai of history.

I already adressed this but I don't mind expanding on my point. Ever see a Japanese person wear a T-shirt or a baseball cap? Guess where they originally got that idea from.

And just because a culture takes something from another and molds into something else, does not mean that it isn't uniquely theirs. Thats why we consider J-Pop and J-rock to be unique genres of music because it is the Japanese take on rock and roll from their perspective. It is every bit a part of their culture as traditional rock and roll are for us.

Far from dumb, that was the POINT. National identity and cultural identity are not the same thing in America. That's why we're the only nation that still divides people into these special ethnic groups like "African American" or "Asian American". You will NEVER find an "African Italian" or an "Asian Spaniard". Which actually is kind of dumb, but it doesn't make me dumb for acknowledging it in a discussion about American cultural identity.
    I'm sorry but this just reeks of ignorance. Try going to Europe some time and see how muslims are crammed into little ghettos or try visiting China and see how foreigners are treated and viewed. People divide themselves up into ethnic groups all the time and it is an international standard. Every country defines a person by their ethnic roots. Its just what people do. Here in Canada, we refer to black people as African Canadians or Asian people as Asian Canadians.

Racial generalization, not racist. And I'm compelled by many years of directly and personally observing most of these groups. Sadly, watching Football and getting drunk IS the closest thing a lot of white Americans have to establishing a cultural identity. The rest is based on myths about the past and staying in power, both of which are rapidly deteriorating. However, that's a bit above the scope of the people who throw themselves at things like Anime and Twilight, who are basically looking for something more appealing to define themselves and their interests than Britney Spears, cornbread, or owning a fast car.
    You have a very narrow view of what constitutes culture. Again, I think you are confusing things that are old with things that are cultural. Culture is not simply native dances and traditional costumes, they are the things that define our daily lives and how we are expected to act in society. Essentially, culture is what is normal and commonplace for a society.

Also, just because someone does not find their culture appealing does not mean that it is in anyway flawed or shallow. All you are doing is making a bunch of generalizations about what American culture is. Here, let me try for Japans illustrious culture:

All Japan is, is samurais, ninjas, rice, cartoons where underaged girls with large overdrawn eyes and cutesy faces are molested by tentacle monsters and underpaid salarymen that work themselves to death and neglect their families by going out to drink with their boses instead of ever coming home.

To say nothing of the way that drug use probably defines American youth more than all of the above combined.
    Someone call the overgeneralization police.

Do you know how popular ecstasy is in the night clubs of Tokyo? Do you realize how much their kids drink, too? Kids everywhere experiment with drugs. Stop putting Japan on this pure angelic pedastal that you have it on.

Pic related, its Japan's version of the pointless war on drugs. Another cultural artifact handed down to them by the USA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	No drug.jpg‎
Views:	51
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	28269  
    Last edited by Condey; 04-24-2010 at 12:52 AM.

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

If you actually knew anything about ninja or samurai you would not have used them to support your argument of Japanese culture. Hint: Movies are not historically accurate. Bureaucrat would have been a better example than ninja, and even then you'd be outdated by 150 years.

Baseball and some music styles, mainly. You could argue that Enka and J-Rock are the Japanese counterparts to Rap and R&B, and that would be about the best point you could hope to make. And those musical sub-culture pockets such as "Visual Kei" or "Para Para" certainly do the job of filling the same void that Anglophilia does, in more domestic but equally embarrassing ways.

Racial generalization, not racist. And I'm compelled by many years of directly and personally observing most of these groups. Sadly, watching Game Shows and working white-collar jobs IS the closest thing a lot of post-WWII Japanese have to establishing a cultural identity. The rest is based on myths about the past and staying somewhat isolationist, both of which are rapidly deteriorating. However, that's a bit above the scope of the people who throw themselves at things like Western Comics and H-Games, who are basically looking for something more appealing to define themselves and their interests than Noriko Sakai, sushi, or owning a fast car. To say nothing of the way that embracing international trends probably defines Japanese youth more than all of the above combined.
    Just sayin', it can go either way on that one.

The reason I think a lot of people seem to think Americans have no real culture is a combination of two things: The relative youth of the country and the fact that we, as a nation, generally allow others to retain their cultural heritage when they come here. That isn't to say that a fair number of Kosciewiczes didn't suddenly become Smiths in the 20's, just that we tend to make accomodations that encourage diversity a little more easily than other countries. They're generally mistaken, but if anyone really wanted to ask what *I* think the cultural foundations of American society are, beyond Pilgrims and Cowboys, what REALLY defines our culture, is mercantilism.

America is the land of opportunity, where hard work and a quick mind can potentially let you carve out a niche of your own to prosper in. The next clever idea, the next bold gamble, that's what defines us as a country. We hustle, we toil, we pitch, we roll the dice, we cheat here and there, all in the name of success. We are a country of self-made men and women first and foremost, and the only thing that's really stopping you beyond your ambition is the fact that there's finite room the further you rise.

There are culturally bankrupt people in every developed country, I daresay. Especially in this day and age, where mainstream internet access can connect countries and cultures easier than ever. Still, one must wonder exactly how people claim we lack a culture when American cultural stereotypes exist.
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    Giving an unwrapped gift, in and of itself, is not really rude. Usually it will suffice if the gift was in a bag, a bag from the store you got the gift from (bare in mind that if you buy the gift in Japan, you should have it wrapped). However, this is only on etiquette grounds (most Japanese won't harp on you for not knowing the intricacies of their culture). The wrapping and presentation of the gift is just as important (if not more important) as the gift itself, so if you really care, you should wrap your gift (nicely).

The problem was that you committed a social faux pas. You do not stick your chopsticks in food nor do you stab your food with chopsticks. This is even more so for rice because it is done at funerals for food being placed on the alter and it also resembles incense that is being burned

To the worried waitress, you looked as if you were either giving reverence to your not-dead uncle or giving a ceremonial meal to your not-dead uncle (and decided to do that in a restaurant).
    Really? I thought it means to call the spirits to come and "feast" on the food or something.... Like... you stick your chopsticks in your food like that to let them know its theirs to eat and stuff.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-21-2016 07:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

All these make sense. I love Japan, I love manga and anime. I love everything about Japanese culture and the very fact that it exists, and I love 富士山 like I love my family.

That's right.

Being a Chinese like Sakura Holic here, I actually live in a politic-rotter country called Malaysia somewhere around Southeast Asia. As a Japanophile, I suck at being a beawoo sometimes. I don't tell people that "How come hamburgers don't even have ham and fingers don't fing!" in a broken Japanese language nor "OM*G thats uber Kawaiii so sugoi my kamisama I cant belive it!!!11 If u dun see u are obviously baka omgsssasd" in troll language. In fact, I don't show off my Japanese anymore just to make myself feel superior to all those beawoos out there. I do not see myself ever again as an Asian Japanophile or a stupid beawoo, but a person that may live among Japanese and perhaps, sometimes, may be mistaken for a Japanese.

I have a slight Japanese slang when I speak English, and I can't pronounce 'R' correctly. I have a Japanese look, I have a nice voice and I only sing Japanese songs other than vocally required foreign songs. I don't even know any Chinese songs and I never watch other animations other than Japanese animations. I even composed a short Japanese song and sang it in front of a great audience.

Sometimes I even thought I was born in a wrong body, wrong place and wrong family. Thus, I am returning to Japan next year, 3rd of April. I will be studying medical science there and I will become a pediatrician. I will live the rest of my life there as a child specialist and I will invest there, earn and spend all my money there. Conclusion: Japan will be my future, unless year 2012 closes our humanity, like the intellectual Mayans predicted.

Okay, nuff said. Actually I love my country, it's just that I like Japan more. What's the point? Real freedom doesn't come from free will of doing things that you wanna do, but having the authority of not doing things that you don't feel like doing it. It's just like this. I don't wanna live in my country, so I'm just finding freedom. BTW, bullies out there should leave the beawoos alone, stop flaming back and practice forgiving.

Being at age 16, it's good to have a dream. If genetically changing yourself or altering your citizenship is your dream, there's no obstacle to it unless you feel you're not cool enough or be w/o enough brains to stick to it. Don't be unreasonably stuck-up just because you have an everything-Japan fetish and you should work for it if you really want to be a Japanese. Who knows you might be even cooler that lots of Japanese out there? You've got to try out starting with growing your brains, nourishing your Japanese language and having skills to impress other people.

Nevertheless, if one doesn't really mind putting more effort into turning into a Japanese and continues to be a real beawoo, it's going to be a big shame for Japanophiles like us. =)

P.S. Every word of my statement above is just my opinion. No offense.

If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate.
    =Randomness is my Forte.=
    Procrastination.
    Tentacles.
    (gasp)

【Twitter】
    【Hear My Voice】
    Singer-songwriter / Artist / Cosplayer / Animation Student

Junior Member RubberDuckie has a spectacular aura about RubberDuckie has a spectacular aura about RubberDuckie has a spectacular aura about RubberDuckie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-27-2010 03:20 PM
    Threads

When I went to Japan two summers ago with an organization, there were a group of 7 girls, and they were all Japanophiles. The only reason they wanted to go was for the anime/manga. When we were told we were going to the Kyoto Internation Manga Museum, they geeked out and whined about going the whole trip, and Kyoto was the second last stop out of 5 cities.
    They kicked a girl out of their group and made her cry because she didn't believe Muroku and Sango from Inuyasha was a cute couple.
    They were culturally ignorant and just annoyed everyone else who was on this trip for the expierence.
    They were rude, very loud, didn't care to learn when we went to temples, shrines, and other non-anime related places.
    They honestly put a bit of a damper on my visit and although I love anime, I love all of Japanese culture, heck, I love learning about all cultures, and I even though I learned a lot, I would have rather them not be there causing such annoyance.

Member Mirun has a reputation beyond repute Mirun has a reputation beyond repute Mirun has a reputation beyond repute Mirun has a reputation beyond repute Mirun has a reputation beyond repute Mirun has a reputation beyond repute Mirun has a reputation beyond repute Mirun has a reputation beyond repute Mirun has a reputation beyond repute Mirun has a reputation beyond repute Mirun has a reputation beyond repute Mirun's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-03-2010 10:28 PM
    Threads

I think admiring someone's country isn't bad as long as it is done in a respectful. Admiration shouldn't be from one source Anime and manga. It should be from other sources such as reading up on their history, pictures of Japan, etc. I myself find Japan quite enthralling and I'd like to go one day.
    I don't find my obsessed with Japan, simply I want to learn more about their culture and their history, to go to a Japanese museum would be amazing. But the dream I have about Japan is the same for all countries and cultures. I want to experience it all.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Holic View Post
    Really? I thought it means to call the spirits to come and "feast" on the food or something.... Like... you stick your chopsticks in your food like that to let them know its theirs to eat and stuff.
    Well, this is pretty much true (although its more of a stabbing motion), but like I said, this is normally done at funerals and shrines. Why would you be offering a ceremonial meal to the spirits when you are sitting at the dinner table? This is why sticking your chopsticks into your food like that is a faux pas; you kinda look, for lack of a better word, like a freak.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Closed Thread

Thread Information