AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What kind of anime fan is more annoying, Casual or Elitist?

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default What kind of anime fan is more annoying, Casual or Elitist?

Y'know, the two most annoying types of anime fans.. though which of the two is worse and harder to talk to about anime? A "Casual" to anime will usually say questionable and really dumb comments on anime and think they know more than they do, but in reality whatever they say is cringe worthy.

Casual Comments: Dragon Ball Z was the first anime ever created, Pokemon is da best anime eva!!(and the person saying it has only seen like five anime max..), omg dubs are so coooool(nothing against dub fans, but it always irks me when people say this WHEN NEVER watching subs), I've seen 10 anime omg im an elite otaku!

On the other hand you have "Elitists". Elitists will flame and attack you if you ever dare point out flaws in the anime they find the most appealing and if you have a different opinion than them then you'll be a noob to them.

Elitist Comments: You don't like Ergo Proxy? Wow get on my level bruh / Um, there are NO flaws in my favorite anime get out jeesh.

My take: Casuals are annoying no doubt, but elitists are worse. I can't stand them.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Junior Member DivinePrince is on a distinguished road DivinePrince's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-02-2014 08:01 PM
    Threads

Default Re: What kind of anime fan is more annoying, Casual or Elitist?

Elitists and Casuals? Jesus, those guys are nothing to me. They don't even annoy me very much.

The real issue here is the Weaboos. The most cringe-worthy, stupid, uneducated, obsessive, ignorant, immature idiots out there.

1. Japan is not a good country. It's an oppressive country that has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. the people there DON'T CARE about you. They want you to obey. You're not allowed to talk about your problems unless you want to be seen as a selfish attention {word meaning one who engages in sexual acts for financial compensation has been redacted}. Reclusive people are shamed and constantly made-fun of. Geeks, nerds and people with hobbies that take up a lot of time are also shamed and bullied.
    If you think that Japan is a wonderful place to live then you are ignorant. Look at how many Japanese people move to North America. They moved to escape from their oppressive society.

2. Anime isn't everything. Stop it. Anime is good, watching it is okay. but it's just a hobby. it should NOT take up your entire life. When you turn 18, I swear everything will fall down on you. Reality will throw a brick in your face. You have to be able to hold up a job in this world, you have to be able to pay your own bills, rent/mortgage, taxes, insurance, medical ect.... You need a social life, you need to be able to live on your own. You are NOT going to get these skills by sitting around all day watching anime.

3. It makes us anime liking people look bad. You're helping the stereotypes. We don't want to hear you and your comments on how 'kawaii' this anime is or how 'sugoi' this scene is.

"In Japan, pride and status are so important; it's difficult to be open about feelings"

Last edited by DivinePrince; 11-02-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Junior Member Whitedwarf is on a distinguished road Whitedwarf's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-09-2014 04:40 PM
    Threads

Admittedly being a complete newbie/casual on the subject, I can't really claim an opinion here, but I can say this much:
    A newbie/casual should have enough self-awareness to know that their knowledge is limited, and this goes for pretty much every interest: if you're convinced that you already know the VERY BEST in something (music, books, anime, whatever) you're going to miss out on a lot of great things. An elitist, on the other hand, should have some humility and remember that he or she was also a newbie at one point. If you act like a douche to people who share your interest but are less knowledgable, you might turn them off from the thing entirely. Better to remember where you came from and how much fun it was to discover everything you now know.

In regards to the first reply to this thread, well, I've never been to Japan nor have I spoken extensively to Japanese people about what the country is like, but it seems likely that you, in the same way as the "Weaboos" you're speaking of, have a rather one-sided view of Japan. Most likely, like in any nation, all these things you speak of vary greatly depending on social standing, where you live, who your friends are and what kind of people you surround yourself with, and so on. Not saying that Japan doesn't have certain problems, and the things you mention are unquestionably present - the suicide rate, for example, is as you say absolutely terrible. Just saying that it's not necessarily ubiquitous all over the country. I don't have the time to view the video series you linked, but at another time I will, because it sounds interesting.
    On your third point I can't really understand what you mean. "Sugoi" and "kawaii" are adjectives. Words that describe things. If you feel these adjectives describe your feelings about something you're talking about, of course you're going to use them. That's what adjectives do.
    Last edited by Whitedwarf; 11-02-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DivinePrince View Post
    Elitists and Casuals? Jesus, those guys are nothing to me. They don't even annoy me very much.

The real issue here is the Weaboos. The most cringe-worthy, stupid, uneducated, obsessive, ignorant, immature idiots out there.

1. Japan is not a good country. It's an oppressive country that has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. the people there DON'T CARE about you. They want you to obey. You're not allowed to talk about your problems unless you want to be seen as a selfish attention {word meaning one who engages in sexual acts for financial compensation has been redacted}. Reclusive people are shamed and constantly made-fun of. Geeks, nerds and people with hobbies that take up a lot of time are also shamed and bullied.
    If you think that Japan is a wonderful place to live then you are ignorant. Look at how many Japanese people move to North America. They moved to escape from their oppressive society.

2. Anime isn't everything. Stop it. Anime is good, watching it is okay. but it's just a hobby. it should NOT take up your entire life. When you turn 18, I swear everything will fall down on you. Reality will throw a brick in your face. You have to be able to hold up a job in this world, you have to be able to pay your own bills, rent/mortgage, taxes, insurance, medical ect.... You need a social life, you need to be able to live on your own. You are NOT going to get these skills by sitting around all day watching anime.

3. It makes us anime liking people look bad. You're helping the stereotypes. We don't want to hear you and your comments on how 'kawaii' this anime is or how 'sugoi' this scene is.

KuKuKu~

Junior Member DivinePrince is on a distinguished road DivinePrince's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-02-2014 08:01 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Littner View Post

KuKuKu~

Memes, you're doing it wrong.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

AF logging me out and erasing my entire message strikes again. Typical. Well, to keep it short because I don't have the time to post a huge message again: People often mistake the actual definition of a wee/aboo and are using more and more incorrectly more often. My "wee/aboo" status is a joke, but I am a hardcore anime fan who is over 18, has had jobs, has a social life, is able to watch 25+ anime a season and other anime besides that. Just because you watch anime a lot during the day doesn't mean you can't cycle those things. Trust me, more people are able to than you think. I agree wee/aboos can be annoying, though ONLY when the person is an actual wee/aboo. Urban Dictionary and people overall are slowly forgetting what a wee/aboo is:

Wee/aboo: Obsessed with Japan and believes Japan > any other country. That is the core of what a wee/aboo is and anime/manga actually doesn't have "much" to do with it. It has a little, but actually not so much. Some people think liking subs more than dubs make you a wee/aboo: wrong. Some people think that thinking anime is better than any other medium makes you a wee/aboo: wrong. Liking any medium more than other mediums is very common and stretches much further than anime/manga. Saying "Kawaii/"Sugoi" doesn't make you one either.
    Last edited by Anime Forum; 11-02-2014 at 08:04 PM.

7. Likes someoneofforumpast liked this post
    Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Elitist are worse. You can reason with casuals.. in fact most are open to learn new things.
    But dem elitists? They will continue to attack despite any kind of reasoning.. its possible to get along with them, but it will be difficult.

&#32
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts V Guitar Coffee Red Kawaii Ice Cream Cone
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2018 11:21 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: FunkyFresh123 Steam ID: RyuTama

Lololol I've known plenty of both of them. Sooo many in college. Elitists are way more annoying. Casuals just don't know much yet and they're usually willing to sit down and watch a few unfamiliar titles for the fun of it. Elitists will snap whenever you recommend them an anime they haven't heard of, simply because (and I quote) "if I didn't come across it first, it must not be that good. I'm not interested". (LOL, and then later he starts raving about how awesome it is and just so conveniently forgets that you're the one who introduced him to it.) And yeah, the whole "Omg how dare you not like my favorite anime? Flaws? No way you're just a hater!" is so obnoxious, don't even get me started.

Uuugh elitists.

Senior Member 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Bigro MA 05 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-18-2015 01:23 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The elitist makes a weeboo post about Japan
    hahahahaha...ha

that would have been hilarious if it was not so annoying pfft

for me the most annoying are those from the west part of the world, who claims to know EVERYTHING about Japan/Japanese, anime, etc
    just because they read kotaku, and saw 2 documentaries about suicide, and perverts in Japan

but other than that they have never set foot in the country, and even if they did, they never interacted with the people there.

as a person who has gone through sever depression and suicidal phase, I flinch when I see people talking about the reasons of suicide rates, as if they are experts
    YES Japan's rates are high, and yes there is a lot of pressure for success, but not all people experience that the same way, and MOST people get the pressure from their own homes not the society.

as for the school rules video, except the one about the toilet which really makes no sense though, I think there is a perception that is more hygiene...,
    in our school we have these toilets

They are very similar to the japanese ones, and you simply can't find a typical toilet in schools.

the rest of the rules are mostly for safety, and some about discipline. (I'm not sure about the japanese laws, but I think it is to protect the school as well, because if a kid doesn;t go home after school and something happen to them, the school will be responsible or something)
    and the apathetic expression of the Japanese girl on the video, shows that people are not effected by them nor feeling oppressed, because they have to change shoes in the school or whatever.
    Rules are there to teach people that they can't do whatever the hell they want, without considering the side effect on other people.

In conclusion, you my dear you are as bad in your perception of Japan as the weeboos you hate

Junior Member narutosan is on a distinguished road narutosan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-11-2014 06:05 PM
    Threads

Elitists are definately the worst

Member awww-jaegerl will become famous soon enough awww-jaegerl's Avatar
    Gil
    Stressed
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-04-2015 03:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Most definitely elitists. Casuals are just irritating, but I can deal with it...sometimes. I think the big difference between them is how they'd respond when they get caught being idiots.

Casuals might turn childish and just say stupid grozit like, "But I'm only 12, you don't have to yell or cuss at me. That's rude..." Then they go and make a big deal about it, like child please hush. Good thing about them is that at least they stop after awhile.

Or if not, they might morph into elitists. Well...you can't change their outlook on anything. They're stubborn as hell. You say something to them, they go off on everything you say or do. They make fun of your grammar, call you immature (regardless of age), they say that ostracizing one's opinion is wrong (but it's simply someone pointing something out to them, and they're just overreacting), etc.

They also tend to have this condescending atmosphere surrounding them. They're "know-it-alls", anything that seems like it doesn't compare to their favorite anime they criticize it. Not only that, but it branches over to the people who watch that particular anime they don't like.

Senior Member kristaok is on a distinguished road kristaok's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-11-2014 09:28 AM
    Threads

Neither.
    Whether Japan has the highest suicide rate or not I don't know, what I do know is that unfortunately suicide is everywhere.

Senior Member someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast's Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Gifts Red Dango Kill Bill Katana Shuriken
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-26-2016 08:12 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Littner View Post
    AF logging me out and erasing my entire message strikes again. Typical. Well, to keep it short because I don't have the time to post a huge message again: People often mistake the actual definition of a wee/aboo and are using more and more incorrectly more often. My "wee/aboo" status is a joke, but I am a hardcore anime fan who is over 18, has had jobs, has a social life, is able to watch 25+ anime a season and other anime besides that. Just because you watch anime a lot during the day doesn't mean you can't cycle those things. Trust me, more people are able to than you think. I agree wee/aboos can be annoying, though ONLY when the person is an actual wee/aboo. Urban Dictionary and people overall are slowly forgetting what a wee/aboo is:

Wee/aboo: Obsessed with Japan and believes Japan > any other country. That is the core of what a wee/aboo is and anime/manga actually doesn't have "much" to do with it. It has a little, but actually not so much. Some people think liking subs more than dubs make you a wee/aboo: wrong. Some people think that thinking anime is better than any other medium makes you a wee/aboo: wrong. Liking any medium more than other mediums is very common and stretches much further than anime/manga. Saying "Kawaii/"Sugoi" doesn't make you one either.
    I completely agree. I really do like the Japanese Culture, and I really like Anime, but at the same time I am grown donkey profession with a family. So doing something I would of done maybe in my teens. I have to think about how I am with my anime, and I am more selective with what I watch. I have been watching anime for 15 years. I still think that I am a noob when it comes to everything. I am genre specific when watching anime. So if it is not in my list of things I watch then I probably won't have much to add to a conversation. I have a group of friends that like to watch anime. We have tried many times to do a Week By Week watch party of some of our favorite seasonal series, but due to real world lives we have been unsuccessful.

To answer the question I think there are multiple ways to look at Casual/Elitists anime watchers.

I could be an Elitist with Mecha Anime but a casual with Swordfighting anime.

Unless you have a photographic memory then there is just no way to be an Anime Elitist. But I think dealing with self proclaimed Elitist are the worst to deal with. The one's who feel that dive into a series and feel that they could make it better if.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information