AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Games for Windows Live shutting down July 1, 2014

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Games for Windows Live shutting down July 1, 2014

Xbox Support - Age of Empires Online

Games for Windows Live will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. Although it is available through Steam, Age of Empires Online requires features of the Games for Windows Live service. You can continue to enjoy all the features of Age of Empires Online as the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down.

http://sadpanda.us/images/1803004-0CUQOFZ.jpg

Good Riddance.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Games for Windows Live shutting down July 1, 2014

Good riddance? This means I won't be able to play FUEL, dirt 2, dirt 3, GTA4 and a bunch of other games that I legitimately paid for.

:l
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin View Post
    Good riddance? This means I won't be able to play FUEL, dirt 2, dirt 3, GTA4 and a bunch of other games that I legitimately paid for.

:l
    You can continue to enjoy all the features of [insert game here] as the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down.

Pretty much

Not to mention that their respective developers will need to release a patch, so if they don't that's on them but I am sure they will..
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 08-20-2013 at 08:13 AM.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshikage Kira View Post
    You can continue to enjoy all the features of [insert game here] as the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down.

Pretty much

Not to mention that their respective developers will need to release a patch, so if they don't that's on them but I am sure they will..
    I doubt it. The only reason FUEL is still playable online is because it's through Microsoft's servers. Codemasters won't patch a bunch of 5-6-year-old games that only a handful of people play sparingly, goddamnit.

Time for me to rally together that huge FUEL cross-country troll-journey that we were talking about doing..

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I doubt it. The only reason FUEL is still playable online is because it's through Microsoft's servers. Codemasters won't patch a bunch of 5-6-year-old games that only a handful of people play sparingly, goddamnit.

Time for me to rally together that huge FUEL cross-country troll-journey that we were talking about doing..
    Well, most will I believe.

I believe something will be done about it.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshikage Kira View Post
    Well, most will I believe.

I believe something will be done about it.
    I doubt it, the only game I've seen still working online after the official servers went down is Borderlands 1 ... and I'm pretty sure Steam didn't patch that because a friend was running off a separate non-steam install of the game and it still worked. Unless GameSpy gave the server to someone else to host or something.

And screw Tunngle/Hamachi.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I doubt it, the only game I've seen still working online after the official servers went down is Borderlands 1 ... and I'm pretty sure Steam didn't patch that because a friend was running off a separate non-steam install of the game and it still worked. Unless GameSpy gave the server to someone else to host or something.

And screw Tunngle/Hamachi.
    Yeah you think people will just cross their arms when they won't be able to play/launch 25%-50% of the games they paid for? Maybe the online counterparts will be down but games are still gonna be playable. Or maybe they will become DRM-Free. (Highly doubt it though) I mean you really doubt that games like Dark Souls wont get any support at all and a recent game like that will be left in the dust. completely unplayable and just be a virtual brick? Don't forget the save restrictions too.

But to be honest, it happened with Direct2Drive games when it became a GameFly service so you could be right....(Doesn't 100% relate but its a similar situation).

Meh, I guess we'll just wait for announcements instead of going back and forth with what wie "think" with no grounds to hold our statements. (Although you could be right about their online counter parts, we still know nothing...) All we know is that MS won't give two craps about it, like always but I could be wrong...meh
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 08-23-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well yeah, I'd be able to play the games offline (the games just lady like crazy if GFWL can't connect and won't load your save file up because it can't sync with your xbox account) but then that's the problem. It might not want me to sign in Offline and won't let me use my save game. In fact it might not let me save at all, which would be retarded.

I've also 100% completed FUEL offline so it would be pointless to play in singleplayer. I played it online with a few friends earlier this year and it was a blast. But, yeah. I doubt these old games getting any support next July, because "the playerbase of the game is minimal and is ultimately not worth the expenses upkeeping the dedicated server bla bla bla bla." Maybe Dirt 2 will pull a Burnout Revenge, but I highly doubt it.

=/

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well yeah, I'd be able to play the games offline (the games just lady like crazy if GFWL can't connect and won't load your save file up because it can't sync with your xbox account) but then that's the problem. It might not want me to sign in Offline and won't let me use my save game. In fact it might not let me save at all, which would be retarded.

I've also 100% completed FUEL offline so it would be pointless to play in singleplayer. I played it online with a few friends earlier this year and it was a blast. But, yeah. I doubt these old games getting any support next July, because "the playerbase of the game is minimal and is ultimately not worth the expenses upkeeping the dedicated server bla bla bla bla." Maybe Dirt 2 will pull a Burnout Revenge, but I highly doubt it.

=/
    Well, Dark Souls and GTAIV aren't nobodies.

So I am sure those games will get something.

Senior Member Fandom Fate is on a distinguished road Fandom Fate's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2013 08:33 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pure Pain96 PSN ID: PurePain-2012 Steam ID: BradE96

Wait so all XBOX 360 games will then only be single-player? Huh, quicker than I expected, I had them down as lasting until 2016...oh well. I'm getting XBOX One on release day anyway...

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

@Ranshiin The reason BL1 still works is it for the most part doesn't use servers. It's more direct connect with one player hosting a session. And your only shot is to find a forum or some such for game though you did say no to tunngle and the like so it's a moot point.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    @Ranshiin The reason BL1 still works is it for the most part doesn't use servers. It's more direct connect with one player hosting a session. And your only shot is to find a forum or some such for game though you did say no to tunngle and the like so it's a moot point.
    I know that players hosting sessions is a peer-2-peer system (same system as used in BL2), but then servers are still being used to manage the list of online players and matchmaking, as well as account login/creation - all of which still work, despite me being told that GameSpy's servers went down which should mean that those things shouldn't work.

That's just why I was so confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Fandom Fate View Post
    Wait so all XBOX 360 games will then only be single-player? Huh, quicker than I expected, I had them down as lasting until 2016...oh well. I'm getting XBOX One on release day anyway...
    No, only the PC equivalents (older PC games allow you to login to the xbox system to play your games and use the same account as on an xbox, including friends, achievements, etc). Though people hate it due to it being finicky (issues with port forwarding usually) and some stupid region restrictions locking out certain players altogether from playing games they legitimately purchased.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/ga...support-of-ga/

Glad some of them got support

All Batman games got updates, which is all I cared about.

Dark Souls too.

Dirt 3 nice that they are keeping up with it

And lastly I hope R* respond to GTAIV. Not really crossing my fingers though...
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 04-08-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I hope EA patches GFWL out of Fuel - although, I discovered the other day that it uses Gamespy servers for online play and those are going down in May so unless that gets patched too ... which is unlikely ... then it's boned either way.

Same with Borderlands 1.

Old games that are still fun to play with friends. I don't care if I lose my save file on FUEL, so long as online free-roam still works in the end. :I

Nanobyte's minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Luna Cake Lie Soras Keyblade
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2017 06:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1596-5790-7816-3407

So what does that mean for Dark Souls on PC? Is it just not going to be playable or will you be able to play it but just not save?

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

And this is the reason why I don't play PC games. But then again, I don't care much for them.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaSD View Post
    So what does that mean for Dark Souls on PC? Is it just not going to be playable or will you be able to play it but just not save?
    They're working on a fix. I think they're just planning on converting it to steamworks. Meaning you might be able to connect with people easier and hackers should become a bit less problematic since Valve actually does crack down on them.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Light Buster View Post
    And this is the reason why I don't play PC games. But then again, I don't care much for them.
    Except one day Microsoft/Sony will do the same with the console servers (likely at the start of the next-gen some four/five years down the line) and then the 360 is about as useful as a Game Boy.

Service shutdowns are an inevitability. Some sooner than others.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Except one day Microsoft/Sony will do the same with the console servers (likely at the start of the next-gen some four/five years down the line) and then the 360 is about as useful as a Game Boy.

e.g. OG Xbox.

And some PS2 games as well as receny PS3 games got the hammer.

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Yeah, though my Xbox 360 is on the dead side so it doesn't really matter to me unless I find a way to make money quickly.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Light Buster View Post
    Yeah, though my Xbox 360 is on the dead side so it doesn't really matter to me unless I find a way to make money quickly.
    If it's just the battery it should be easy to replace.

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2019 08:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You will only lose internet multiplayer. There will still be the ability to play single player, or split-screen multiplayer on any game that allows it, or LAN multiplayer on any game that allows it.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

LAN multiplayer, learn how to use it.
    Click the banner to visit my website.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use [email protected]

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Animedude5555 View Post
    LAN multiplayer, learn how to use it.
    The fact that you think I don't know how to use LAN multiplayer is laughable. Also, what does LAN have to do with playing games on consoles with friends that live nowhere near you? Nothing. You can't do it. It's not called 'LAN' if you're playing cross-country with other people. Learn the definition of a LAN and then learn the definition of a WAN and get back to me.

Oh, and don't bring the Hamachi argument here.
    Last edited by Ranshiin; 04-18-2014 at 05:56 AM.

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2019 08:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The fact that you think I don't know how to use LAN multiplayer is laughable. Also, what does LAN have to do with playing games on consoles with friends that live nowhere near you? Nothing. You can't do it. It's not called 'LAN' if you're playing cross-country with other people. Learn the definition of a LAN and then learn the definition of a WAN and get back to me.

Oh, and don't bring the Hamachi argument here.

I don't even know how to use Hamachi. I think it is designed to be a plugin to work with illegaly hacked copies of certain games that didn't have a built in internet-multiplayer feature, in order to add an internet-multiplayer feature.
    Click the banner to visit my website.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use [email protected]

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Animedude5555 View Post
    I don't even know how to use Hamachi. I think it is designed to be a plugin to work with illegaly hacked copies of certain games that didn't have a built in internet-multiplayer feature, in order to add an internet-multiplayer feature.
    Tell me, do you try to look stupid or is it just natural?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information