AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The word "pet" is insulting to animals, they are "companion animals"

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Default The word "pet" is insulting to animals, they are "companion animals"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ics-claim.html

Domestic dogs, cats, hamsters or budgerigars should be rebranded as “companion animals” while owners should be known as “human carers”, they insist.

Even terms such as wildlife are dismissed as insulting to the animals concerned – who should instead be known as “free-living”, the academics including an Oxford professor suggest.

The call comes from the editors of then Journal of Animal Ethics, a new academic publication devoted to the issue.

It is edited by the Revd Professor Andrew Linzey, a theologian and director of the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics, who once received an honorary degree from the Archbishop of Canterbury for his work promoting the rights of “God’s sentient creatures”.

In its first editorial, the journal – jointly published by Prof Linzey’s centre and the University of Illinois in the US – condemns the use of terms such as ”critters” and “beasts”.

It argues that “derogatory” language about animals can affect the way that they are treated.
    “Despite its prevalence, ‘pets’ is surely a derogatory term both of the animals concerned and their human carers,” the editorial claims.
    “Again the word ‘owners’, whilst technically correct in law, harks back to a previous age when animals were regarded as just that: property, machines or things to use without moral constraint.”
    It goes on: “We invite authors to use the words ‘free-living’, ‘free-ranging’ or ‘free-roaming’ rather than ‘wild animals’
    “For most, ‘wildness’ is synonymous with uncivilised, unrestrained, barbarous existence.
    “There is an obvious prejudgment here that should be avoided.”
    Prof Linzey and his co-editor Professor Priscilla Cohn, of Penn State University in the US, also hope to see some of the more colourful terms in the English language stamped out.
    Phrases such as “sly as a fox, “eat like a pig” or “drunk as a skunk” are all unfair to animals, they claim.
    “We shall not be able to think clearly unless we discipline ourselves to use less than partial adjectives in our exploration of animals and our moral relations with them," they say.
    [note: not really my opinion O_o; just sharing the article]

Senior Member Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts 025 - Pikachu Ceiling Cat Albatross
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-19-2014 02:52 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The word "pet" is insulting to animals, they are "companion animals"

Derogatory or not, the word "pet" won't leave the english language.. especially when associated with domesticated animals.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Default Re: The word "pet" is insulting to animals, they are "companion animals"

Personally, I think that's just one big load of crap. Words don't effect how animals are treated. People effect how animals are treated. Putting the blame on a word such as pet is just stupid. I have four cats and treat them well. In fact I regularly pamper them. Same goes with the word wildlife. To quote Shakespeare, "What is in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.". In short, name doesn't matter, it's what it's attached to that matters.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

“For most, ‘wildness’ is synonymous with uncivilised, unrestrained, barbarous existence.
    I don't understand what they supposedly mean by this.

Last time I checked, if you go into the wild, and encounter a bear, tiger, or what have you, and it's hungry, and angry, and you're close by, well... i'm pretty sure it's not going to say "Howdy sir! nice weather we've been having. enjoy the rest of your day"
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    I don't understand what they supposedly mean by this.

Last time I checked, if you go into the wild, and encounter a bear, tiger, or what have you, and it's hungry, and angry, and you're close by, well... i'm pretty sure it's not going to say "Howdy sir! nice weather we've been having. enjoy the rest of your day"
    It looks to me that you understand what they mean quite well.

Anyway, pet has a negative connotation because people don't want to be compared to submissive animals. If you change it to companion animal, then the phrase companion animal will gain a negative connotation.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    It looks to me that you understand what they mean quite well.
    what I mean, is that "uncivilized, unrestrained, and barbarous" are all accurate descriptions of animals in the wilderness, (negative connotations or not).

anyways, verbiage and political correctness doesn't stop animal cruelty. stopping people from abusing animals stops animal cruelty.

This whole thing looks like yet another excuse for a very small minority of people to hate on others and get all 'high and mighty' for basically nothing
    Last edited by Skylar1; 04-29-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Some pets are not meant to serve as companions, though.
    Like, do you really expect your pet goldfish to become your buddies?

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I'd just like to point out that the term civilized is relative. Prime example, Native Americans. They lived in tepees and where considered uncivilized by pilgrims. Yet they had a language, writing, tools, etc. They just chose to live simple lives. Taking only what they wanted. Does that mean they where uncivilized? No, as such terms like uncivilized, barbaric, unrestrained, etc. are all relative. Hence my Shakespeare quote. Names and terms of reference don't matter. It's only what they're referring to that matters.

Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    I'd just like to point out that the term civilized is relative. Prime example, Native Americans. They lived in tepees and where considered uncivilized by pilgrims. Yet they had a language, writing, tools, etc. They just chose to live simple lives. Taking only what they wanted. Does that mean they where uncivilized? No, as such terms like uncivilized, barbaric, unrestrained, etc. are all relative. Hence my Shakespeare quote. Names and terms of reference don't matter. It's only what they're referring to that matters.
    you're comparing humans, rational animals well apt to having the ability to reason and comprehend, to the lion that's about to attack you in five seconds in the wilderness for no reason other than it's hungry and pissed off, and you just happen to be close by?

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

They just chose to live simple lives. Taking only what they wanted.
    So did you gain your knowledge of the Native Americans from Disney's Pocahontas by any chance?

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

No, I'm more referring to the words themselves. Which is what the article is talking about. If a lion is after you, you're screwed. Best you can hope for is that there's an easy to climb tree nearby.

@Wio No, I've studied them in high school. They weren't savages or what ever you call them in any sense of the word. How would you react to some unknown people that just come in and take your land. And it's not like they where hostile to begin with, well most of them that is. But then there where cultures in Europe and Asia that where down right hostile to outsiders.
    Last edited by GameGeeks; 04-29-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Oh gawd, who let PETA write an article?

Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

No, I've studied them in high school. They weren't savages or what ever you call them in any sense of the word. How would you react to some unknown people that just come in and take your land. And it's not like they where hostile to begin with, well most of them that is. But then there where cultures in Europe and Asia that where down right hostile to outsiders.
    Your history class was probably jam packed with white guilt. The native Americans were just as violent as settlers if not more so. Many of them were still nomadic, meaning that their utilization of the lands resources was too inefficient to remain in the same proximity for long. They weren't a gang of peace pipe smoking hippies. They were considered less civilized because quite frankly they were. Looking at the big picture, it's not really an insult, it was just a result of having inferior technology.

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    Your history class was probably jam packed with white guilt. The native Americans were just as violent as settlers if not more so. Many of them were still nomadic, meaning that their utilization of the lands resources was too inefficient to remain in the same proximity for long. They weren't a gang of peace pipe smoking hippies. They were considered less civilized because quite frankly they were. Looking at the big picture, it's not really an insult, it was just a result of having inferior technology.
    So you base whether a group is uncivilized based on technology. There's more to it then that. There's also culture and history/mythology. And yes, Christian beliefs can be viewed as mythology. Living as nomads is a choice. Living off the lands is a choice. The reason they didn't have a lot of the technology that the settlers had is because they chose not to. They worshiped the land like most settlers worshiped god. One group chose to show that faith by sitting in a building once a week and the other chose to use the resources it provided. Let me put it this way. Are people from, say, the 1400's uncivilized because they didn't have the technology we have today? No, why should Native Americans be any different. And as for white guilt, how do you know your education on them didn't have some white superiority complex mixed in?

Straight Outta Motown! Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Paint Palette Mic Sunglasses
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-28-2014 02:35 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sleepy_Ninja313

Man that is whack!

Token Black Guy

16. Likes Shini liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

So you base whether a group is uncivilized based on technology. There's more to it then that. There's also culture and history/mythology. And yes, Christian beliefs can be viewed as mythology. Living as nomads is a choice. Living off the lands is a choice. The reason they didn't have a lot of the technology that the settlers had is because they chose not to. They worshiped the land like most settlers worshiped god. One group chose to show that faith by sitting in a building once a week and the other chose to use the resources it provided. Let me put it this way. Are people from, say, the 1400's uncivilized because they didn't have the technology we have today? No, why should Native Americans be any different. And as for white guilt, how do you know your education on them didn't have some white superiority complex mixed in?
    Yes there is more to civilization than just technology, but the fact of the matter is that the typical group of humans is going to be just as ruthless and compassionate as the next, thus what it usually comes down to is technology.
    It's not that the native Americans didn't want better technology either. Do you think the tribe would say "Nooooooooooo!" every time someone come up with a better tool/cure/method of doing something? European nomads were most likely very similar to Native American ones before their technology got to the point it was at when they had discovered the Americas.
    As for people in the 1400's, they would be considered less civilized if compared to the present. It logically follows.
    Anyway, an absence of white guilt does not make someone a white supremacist.

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

See I don't get that logic. Yes some Native Americans where vicious. But not all where. Look at the ones that helped the Pilgrims when they first arrived. And yes they took better technology as it arrived. But they didn't have people actively thinking up inventions. Not to mention, their thought patterns could have been very different from ours since they only had contact with people similar to themselves. And I didn't mean the absence or white guild meant white supremacist. I just poorly worded the opposite of what you said.

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 12:40 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

No offense, truly there isn't, but I don't find it a bad thing to call an animal a pet. It does have a kind vibe to it with a lot of animal owners. If it could speak, I'd let it call me that! I never saw an insulting side to it, really. What I don't tolerate, however, is harmful treatment and abuse of animals. That's inhumane.
    Last edited by Digimon_Sommelier; 04-29-2011 at 02:16 AM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I never said they all were. I was speaking on aggregate. As I said before, since most groups of humans are the same, having their share of goodies and baddies, civility ultimately comes down to technology. Harsher circumstances lead to harsher measures.

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

So does this mean my pet doesn't like me petting her anymore??? I mean I could just ignore her. Plus companion whatever is too long to say.

And animals do not understand the English language. They sense tones and pitches in the owners voice to tell what the owner wants them to do. If they sense anger they start hanging their head and tail. If they sense happiness they start wagging their tail. IMHO I'm no animal expert but it just seems more logical that way. As long as we give them food and attention they don't care what the heck we call them.
    Last edited by blueangel06661; 04-29-2011 at 06:38 AM.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Feels like a repost of an april 1 hoax. But as they don't cite their sources, it's impossible to say.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Actually bigger than you. miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Violin Cds
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2013 07:01 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: miniPhil

It's not "My Desktop" it's the machine spirits visage. We're not using a computer the machine is helping us. Using derogatory terms like PC or Mac and treating our computers without the utmost care is insulting to the superior machine race.

01000010011011000110010101110011011100110110010101 10010000100000011011010110000101100011011010000110 10010110111001100101001011000010000001100001001000 00011101000110100001101111011101010111001101100001 01101110011001000010000001110000011000010111001001 10010001101111011011100111001100100000011001100110 11110111001000100000011011010111100100100000011101 01011011100111011101101111011100100111010001101000 01111001001000000110100001100001011011100110010001 11001100101110001000000100010001100101011101010111 00110010000001101001011011100010000001001101011000 01011000110110100001101001011011100110000100101110
    This is a Sig. It's horribly out of date.

AF's Messiah. The Second Coming. Jesu Christo. .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Heart Rainbow Ribbon Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2014 01:25 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sev121993 PSN ID: sev121993 Steam ID: sev121993

I totally agree with this article. Hearing this verbal abuse of animals just makes me sick as a dog. You know, just really ruffles my feathers. Don't chicken out about standing up for the animals, doggone it!
    I'll just duck out of the way of this thread if you don't mind.

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by miniPhil View Post
    It's not "My Desktop" it's the machine spirits visage. We're not using a computer the machine is helping us. Using derogatory terms like PC or Mac and treating our computers without the utmost care is insulting to the superior machine race.

01000010011011000110010101110011011100110110010101 10010000100000011011010110000101100011011010000110 10010110111001100101001011000010000001100001001000 00011101000110100001101111011101010111001101100001 01101110011001000010000001110000011000010111001001 10010001101111011011100111001100100000011001100110 11110111001000100000011011010111100100100000011101 01011011100111011101101111011100100111010001101000 01111001001000000110100001100001011011100110010001 11001100101110001000000100010001100101011101010111 00110010000001101001011011100010000001001101011000 01011000110110100001101001011011100110000100101110
    How do you want that translated? Text, Hex, Dec, etc.?

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 06:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

I am amused that the article concerns itself with fairly arcane understandings of the word "wild," as applied to humans or a society, then ignores context and assumes a similarly negative connotation applies to its other uses, such as with animals outside of captivity.

All this while it uses "barbarous," from "barbarian," without any regard for the original meaning. (Hide if you don't speak classical Greek, by the way.) Ordinarily, that'd be fine, but if you're going to play word games, then pick one game and stick with it; don't swap out a bat for a javelin half-way through your fun.

I wonder if linguists get as upset over crap like this as do rationalists.

@GameGeeks : Pretty sure it's ASCII-to-binary.
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 04-29-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: A mildly amusing message, too.

Closed Thread

Thread Information