AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: what must children say whenever their parents ask them to stop watching anime?

Senior Member tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Book Be Mine Heart
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2015 05:11 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default what must children say whenever their parents ask them to stop watching anime?

well, my mom tend to nag at me whenever she sees me watching anime. she would always tell me that there's nothing i can get from it... and i find no reason to give her why i shouldn't stop watching...

i always try telling her that i get lots of lessons from what i watch, but she would always answer me with this undying question: "is there an anime that can teach you how to be obedient?"

Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: what must children say whenever their parents ask them to stop watching anime?

You don't watch anime because it teaches you lessons. You watch anime because it is entertaining. Your mom is an idiot (no offense) if she can't understand that. And is also a total b*t(h (again, no offense) if she wouldn't want you watching anime just because you like it. I'm not sure exactly what you would say, but I would argue that there's something she likes that she doesn't necessarily get out of, but that she watches/does because she enjoys it, and then call her a hypocrite. However, I'm sure if you did that she would yell at you because you were being rude or disrespectful of her, even though you were just trying to defend your choices.

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Default Re: what must children say whenever their parents ask them to stop watching anime?

Just ask her what her name is?... When she tells you her name be like "Hmmm.. Thats not -insert your name here-.. You have your interest I have mine obviously. What are you going to do when I move out?? Call me up every time you remotely think I'm watching anime?" and if it "keeps you off the streets" you can add that comment in as well. Because that's why my mom doesn't mind that I watch it.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

4. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Aleyna's Wifey *with a heart sign* Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket's Avatar
    Gil
    Goofy
    Gifts Tengu Mask Green Tea Pocky
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-24-2012 08:31 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Typical way of thinking for Filipino moms, no offense of course knowing that I myself have a Fil. mom too. Though I'm guessing your mom watches telenovelas right? Just tell her, "Hey, I don't mind it when you watch your -inserts a Filipino telenovela-, and do you learn anything from it?" Yes, I know she'd say you're being disrespectful just like what @YokoKuwabara: said but you are just defending yourself and your opinion. If she really cares about you she'd understand, I mean she was young like you before so she must've experienced the same critics from her mom too.
    Proud Wife of Aleyna ♥
    Proud Mother of Uta ♪

AF's Messiah. The Second Coming. Jesu Christo. .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Heart Rainbow Ribbon Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2014 01:25 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sev121993 PSN ID: sev121993 Steam ID: sev121993

What I've learned from anime is an outstretched hand from a falling male protagonist will always come in contact with the bosom of a female. Always.

But seriously, who watches anime to learn? Like said, it's for entertainment purposes only. As long as you are watching in moderation (And not spending hours everyday) I don't see what the deal is.

Senior Member Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero has a reputation beyond repute Skilero's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    User Info
    Latest Post
    05-29-2017 12:09 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Thread
    NEWS: QE3 enacted by FED
    Latest Blog
    Got a DeviantArt

Tell her anime makes you happy, just like any other person's hobby would.

8. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Senior Member Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra's Avatar
    Gil
    Woot
    Gifts Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Apple Systems NES Controller
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2011 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

"Really, Mom? Didn't you ever have something that you were interested in as a kid that your mom told you to stop doing? How did you feel about that? Didn't you just wish you could make her understand that it wasn't stupid or inappropriate; you did it because you enjoyed it."

"And, tell me honestly, have you ever even watched a series of good anime? I'm sure that if you did, you'd find that there are plenty of things to learn and gain from it. Real-life situations that conflict with what it can mean to be human, heart-wrenching moments that have us questioning what is really right or wrong, etc. So please, before you presume that anime is just something for children, give it its fair shot."

And if that isn't enough, have your mother check out a copy of Mechademia; a series of critical essays with countless anime and manga references dealing with some of the most critical and intellectually mind boggling questions of our time. Unless she's going into flat out denial, she can't look at this and say that anime doesn't teach you anything.
    Last edited by Shinn Kamiyra; 03-13-2011 at 12:42 PM.

My thanks to Xey Oiz for the awesome new set.

"Screw being normal and be awesome instead!"

10. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    No Rain No Rainbow!!! OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Red Dango Fuuko Starfish Cake
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2018 12:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: k9craze

Ask "Why?" over and over again 'til they get tired or annoyed. xD
    [Random words of wisdom here]
    [Photo signature here]
    [Random words here]

12. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Senior Member Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-19-2017 04:54 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

You say, "Thank you mother, for worrying about my future and trying to promote the idea of pursuing things that are known to lead to success in adult-life. I am truly lucky that I have parents who care about my well-being, a luxury that many children around the world do not have."

and then right after that, you have to explain your philosophy about non-contributive hobbies and the place they have in everyone's lives, and you have to reason it out well enough that she sees where you're coming from and begrudgingly accepts it. Hint: You're obviously never going to make someone agree with you if you have an indignant attitude and/or insult them.

14. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Out to save turtles Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea's Avatar
    Gil
    Asleep
    Gifts Portal Companion Cube Moon Crystal Locket Dice D20
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-26-2011 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BibiTurtle Steam ID: BibiTurtle

If your parents are getting tired of it, tell them its better than being out on the streets trying to "find something to do". Most parents won't mind that. But if they're nagging because you haven't done your chores first, well, that's another story.

Thanks for the sig Xey Oiz ^.^

16. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

i always try telling her that i get lots of lessons from what i watch, but she would always answer me with this undying question: "is there an anime that can teach you how to be obedient?"
    whoa.... hold on now..

There may be some sort of cultural barrier here I'm not aware of, but when I hear "obedient" i think of "pet dog"; soooo not cool. It's important to take your parents advice into consideration and always think through a decision, but you don't exist as some sort of projection of their will.. >_>

You're almost an adult (should your profile age be correct that is), and when you are, you have to make sure your parents are aware that , 1. yes, they are looking out for your best interest, and it is very much appreciated, but that 2. they need to know when to back off when in fact you don't choose to use that advice.

Besides, watching anime is a hobbie. the whole point is to relax and unwind. Humans aren't built to operate 24/7 @__@ they need breaks and down time too..
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Is your mom just nagging you about watching anime or is she actually physically stopping you from watching it? There is a difference.

If she is just nagging you, as you say, then just ignore it. After all, moms nag all the time about lots of things (moms do this sometimes). Sorry, but there is not a darn thing that you are going to "learn" from watching anime that you can't learn somewhere else (and in a much more productive fashion), so your mom has you on that one. The only thing anime can provide is some stimulating entertainment, but once again, we are faced with the fact that entertainment can be found in many other ways besides Japanese cartoons. The only defense you have is that you like it.

But like I said, if she is just nagging you about watching anime, then just take it at face value and ignore her. Do you really want to start some type of argument with your mother because she gets in your face about cartoons? I certainly hope that the answer is no. And besides, you're 17; depending on what the age of majority is where you live, she doesn't have much more time to boss you around anyway.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

19. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Parents usually aren't always approving of their kids (what they consider) "newfangled" devices and or shows. Just tell her you enjoy watching it, and that it doesn't distract you from or disrupt your school work/job/whatever.

Also, obedience isn't learned from shows, i'm sure she knows this.
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 03-13-2011 at 02:18 PM.

21. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I didn't even know parents would ask their kids to stop watching anime unless the viewer was young and the anime they were watching went to some sort of extreme in which their was major violence or some form of suggestive themes built into the episode/movie/manga. I've been watching anime for longer than a decade now and my parents and family never had an issue with it.. If indeed they are telling you to stop watching anime then do you really think you need to listen? You don't need to do everything your parents tell you because sometimes you know what is the best for you and your parents don't ALWAYS have the answer in situations like this.

I actually can see where she's coming from but don't make an argument out of it. Just tell her you like this kind of stuff and when you want to stop watching it (if you ever want to stop that is lol) then it is your decision not hers.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

23. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Fuchsia Ruler Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Heart Pisces Double Bento
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2016 06:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I don't know whats your mother's issue for you watching anime. Its not like you're doing anything horrible you know. ;/ I just think she should careless about it, as long you're not doing bad things. Fine.
    You know, my interest in anime is pretty low. I can watch it but I'm no super fan of it as I used to be. And it changed my life dramatically. Now my life is just okay that I'm not a super otaku as before. I browse through anime DVDs in a attire of Hollister, wearing pink and with an expensive purse and they have no idea that I have some interest in anime. It blows people's mind. When they see me, of course. But don't let people tell you to quit what you love doing because you know its not a bad thing to do. Being a good person is all good enough.

25. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Senior Member Nene-Chan has a reputation beyond repute Nene-Chan has a reputation beyond repute Nene-Chan has a reputation beyond repute Nene-Chan has a reputation beyond repute Nene-Chan has a reputation beyond repute Nene-Chan has a reputation beyond repute Nene-Chan has a reputation beyond repute Nene-Chan has a reputation beyond repute Nene-Chan has a reputation beyond repute Nene-Chan has a reputation beyond repute Nene-Chan has a reputation beyond repute Nene-Chan's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Sushi Orange Dango Flowers Fan
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-27-2011 02:58 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If she hasn't watched anime she can't just say "Does anime teach you to be obiedent?"
    People can be like that, but if you can prove it to her then there's no way she can repeat her undying answer nor can it still be her final answer!
    GODDESS OF LOVELESSNESS
    Goddess Ailee: As long as there is love, there will be hatred.
    Understand it. Expect it. Fear it. Can you overcome it?

27. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Senior Member Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion's Avatar
    Gil
    Devilish
    Gifts EVE Heart Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2012 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

i just shrug...
    anyways, my mother let me be these days when we see each other since they are very rare...
    and hey.. i made my mother watch Avatar: The Last Airbender last Christmas...

and we do all our chores before we lounge ourselves and be non productive for the rest of the day during vacation time...
    so, we really don't have an issue on that...
    and my father comments only when i stay very late watching animated films or anime because according to him it's not healthy and i should sleep more at night and watch all day if i really want to...

sorry.. my parents maybe Filipino but they understand me and i do my best not to be a bad kid, does not necessarily mean i am a good kid, so there...
    no need for naggings...

~Howl's Mistress Evil Twin from the Other Side here to save her from further humiliation...

avenge me!..
    kill kill kill

sig by .Elmer

29. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Senior Member tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari has a reputation beyond repute tesaamari's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Book Be Mine Heart
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitouman 2 View Post

sorry.. my parents maybe Filipino but they understand me and i do my best not to be a bad kid, does not necessarily mean i am a good kid, so there...
    no need for naggings...
    pinoy ka din?hehe, di kita napapansin sa pinoy af'ers

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by YokoKuwabara View Post
    Your mom is an idiot (no offense) if she can't understand that. And is also a total b*t(h (again, no offense) if she wouldn't want you watching anime just because you like it.
    hey, you're being too bad to my mom...you must avoid using bad words if you don't want to offend others, but it's okay now.just don't ever say that again, please...not to my mom^^

Fuchsia Ruler Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitouman 2 View Post
    i just shrug...
    anyways, my mother let me be these days when we see each other since they are very rare...
    and hey.. i made my mother watch Avatar: The Last Airbender last Christmas...

and we do all our chores before we lounge ourselves and be non productive for the rest of the day during vacation time...
    so, we really don't have an issue on that...
    and my father comments only when i stay very late watching animated films or anime because according to him it's not healthy and i should sleep more at night and watch all day if i really want to...

no need for naggings...
    Thats the same with my mom, she's Filipino herself. But sometimes she can be in the category of being the stereotypical Asian mom. She leaves my interest alone, and thats the good thing. After a while she learns to do the "American" ways and be lax about it. Its the same with my dad, too, but he's Chinese. x_x Its even better because he's all "Whatever will float your boat~" kind of a person. He jumps in if theres something wrong, of course. If they know there's something bad with anime, they would tell me. But they haven't, and if there is something bad with anime I shrug off and say "Whatever, I'm not a huge fan of it as before." xD

Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Book Be Mine Heart
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinn Kamiyra View Post
    "Really, Mom? Didn't you ever have something that you were interested in as a kid that your mom told you to stop doing? How did you feel about that? Didn't you just wish you could make her understand that it wasn't stupid or inappropriate; you did it because you enjoyed it."

"And, tell me honestly, have you ever even watched a series of good anime? I'm sure that if you did, you'd find that there are plenty of things to learn and gain from it. Real-life situations that conflict with what it can mean to be human, heart-wrenching moments that have us questioning what is really right or wrong, etc. So please, before you presume that anime is just something for children, give it its fair shot."

And if that isn't enough, have your mother check out a copy of Mechademia; a series of critical essays with countless anime and manga references dealing with some of the most critical and intellectually mind boggling questions of our time. Unless she's going into flat out denial, she can't look at this and say that anime doesn't teach you anything.
    haha, good to know someone believes that we can get lessons from anime...and oh, thanks for the advice^^
    i'll have my mom see that mechademia you're talkin' about...

Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dessa Marie O. Guillepa View Post
    pinoy ka din?hehe, di kita napapansin sa pinoy af'ers

hey, you're being too bad to my mom...you must avoid using bad words if you don't want to offend others, but it's okay now.just don't ever say that again, please...not to my mom^^
    Yeah, sorry about that. I wasn't sure if I was crossing a line there, but my dad is a lot like that. He hates anime, but probably for a different reason. I usually tell him he's being an idiot when he get's on an anti-anime kick, but I can understand that I crossed a line there. Sorry about that, I won't do it again. Or atleast not to you.

Straight Outta Motown! Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Paint Palette Mic Sunglasses
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-28-2014 02:35 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sleepy_Ninja313

I honestly don't understand why you mom doesn't want you to watch anime. I don't see anything wrong with it, and it's not like your doing anything wrong. I never had this issue with my parents. Why don't you just say to her:

"Mom listen to me for a sec: I'm not mad or anything, but why is me watching anime such a issue to you? It's not like i'm harming you or anybody else. I don't complain when you watch soaps/telenovelas/(whatever the hell she likes to watch). This is how i like to be entertained. I need some down time too, and i see no harm in watching anime. There are worse things on T.V. to see. I could be watching some raunchy shows like Skins on MTV.(You can find some other show as an example if you want.) Do you want me to watch something like that? Is that a better choice than anime? This is what i like, and i think you shouldn't be so negative about it. You may not like it, but i do and your just gonna have to deal with it. I could be doing worse things, but for some reason to you watching anime is a really naughty thing to do. There's nothing wrong with this."

Hopefully that can give you an idea on what to say.
    Last edited by Token Black Guy; 03-14-2011 at 07:20 PM.
    Man that is whack!

Token Black Guy

35. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Genius of Silver Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2011 07:58 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Daiblix PSN ID: MillionSword

Millions of people rot their brains with The X Factor or (insert country)'s Got Talent every year and your mom's worried about your watching anime?

Also, these are my general thoughts on the whole thing:

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    whoa.... hold on now..

There may be some sort of cultural barrier here I'm not aware of, but when I hear "obedient" i think of "pet dog"; soooo not cool. It's important to take your parents advice into consideration and always think through a decision, but you don't exist as some sort of projection of their will.. >_>

You're almost an adult (should your profile age be correct that is), and when you are, you have to make sure your parents are aware that , 1. yes, they are looking out for your best interest, and it is very much appreciated, but that 2. they need to know when to back off when in fact you don't choose to use that advice.

Besides, watching anime is a hobbie. the whole point is to relax and unwind. Humans aren't built to operate 24/7 @__@ they need breaks and down time too..

Senior Member Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2014 08:06 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Well my parents don't approve of the computer in general, they think it's dangerous and everyone on it is a pedophile, that's why I have to go upstairs and use my laptop to go on chat so they don't freak, they also don't like my graphic design mostly because that's all I do on my computer but if they were to get mad at me for doing to much graphic design I would say something like this "Would you rather have me outside were I could go and cause trouble or would you rather like me being happy with graphic design and doing nothing bad?".
    人類は調和したのか?
    VY2V3 = Me | Kagamine Len Act 1 = You

38. Thanks tesaamari thanked for this post
    Gil
    Sassy
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Yeah, exactly. o_o My parents hated my sisters and I being on the computer, watching TV, etc. But they don't go out with friends so much either, they hoard them in at home and tell them to do chores. And after chores are done, apparently its not "clean" or done right for them. Meh. And they're not rewarded either. I remember this one time that I felt very creative, my mother barked on me and b*tched how "messy" the house was and that the place should be vacuumed. Okay... members of AF, if you see my parents place when it's "messy", I swear you'll think that its friggen clean and it looked fine. Not for my mom. No, and it has to be done her way. Even until now I still wonder sometimes why she wants it exactly like that. lol

yada yada, So my parents complain about my sisters being on the computer after they do everything and wants them to do other things. Now that they do, their answer is no. Uhhh... =__= I'm not in a mood now to complain about their reasons for whatever. I just want things to make sense to be real honest. But they say that they don't complain back then, but too bad. xD My folks are dealing with people who doesn't think or behave like the way they do back then.

Closed Thread

Thread Information