AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Man, what a jerk!

Nice Boat Captain Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Strawberry Nunchaku Blue Saber
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2021 05:03 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    The Hellish Death Realms where demons dwell (a.k.a. Planet Earth)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Post Man, what a jerk!

I've noticed in a lot of retail jobs that employees or customer service representatives act like jerks. Sometimes they don't treat you right, and have that same emotionless look on their faces.

What do you think drives them to be this way? Is it the company and their bosses giving them a hard time? Are they having a bad day or did something bad happen to them? Based on what I know, employees of any retail job are not supposed to let their emotions get in the way of providing good customer service. Unfortunately, I've seen bad attitudes all the time from managers to the cashiers. But, obviously it's human nature that we all can't be positive when someone gives us crap. Also, I've read that the big bosses at certain phone companies give their customer service reps a hard time. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that leads them to being what I described above? Please share some of your encounters with specific companies, whether you were the employee, manager, or a customer. It doesn't even have to be retail. It can be jobs/stores/restaurants in general.

Oh, Hi-deeki, imagine... your kind not eating raw fish! ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE38SKRT4ak

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Man, what a jerk!

I think it's a product of the stranger danger campaign. Kids who were told to never talk to strangers have grown up and now they have to deal with them.

Senior Member Kittyinpink has a reputation beyond repute Kittyinpink has a reputation beyond repute Kittyinpink has a reputation beyond repute Kittyinpink has a reputation beyond repute Kittyinpink has a reputation beyond repute Kittyinpink has a reputation beyond repute Kittyinpink has a reputation beyond repute Kittyinpink has a reputation beyond repute Kittyinpink has a reputation beyond repute Kittyinpink has a reputation beyond repute Kittyinpink has a reputation beyond repute Kittyinpink's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Artemis Manekineko Black Cat
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-21-2011 01:02 PM
    Threads

i think it's because they hate their job, so they take it out on the people they are "helping". as if its their job to be rude and not at least decent.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

eh, it largely varies tbh.

working in retail I can say that mostly it depends on what's happened so far that work day. The best employees will be able to hide the worst mood. Sometimes people can be tired, or hungry. perhaps a earlier costumer was excessively rude, I know that can put most people in an unhappy state.

It's not usually an employee's bad personality that causes them to be nasty, but some times it can be, and those people don't stay employed for a long time.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Ferrari Soccer Ball Favorite
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2012 10:37 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It's because they have to deal with a ton of stupidity and people trying to take the piss out of them solely because they're in the role.

I used to have Finance Loss Prevention in my security license (working in stores) and I ended up dropping it solely due to getting just as tired of those types as the staff members. It didn't help that it's one of the few security roles where you're expected to treat people politely even when they're messing with you.
    victoria aut mors

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

Hmm... sounds like an interesting discussion...

Well in my experience I found that there seems to be a link between the type of retail job and the general attitude of customer representatives: in general it seems that employees of higher-paid retail jobs tend to be more polite to their customers, whereas employees of low-pay jobs (i.e. minimum wage jobs) can be either rude, reluctant, or ultimately unhelpful. I mean, for me I don't so much care how I'm treated if my query gets resolved in the end; but I would agree that there's no need for rudeness.

Jobs that tend to feature the most rudest of customer representatives tend to be generally related to fast food restaurants, certain privately-owned shops located in low-development areas, and low-budget-catering shopping stores. I suppose the prices of the goods there are so low that it's almost as if there's no room for investment in good manners; therefore, if I must visit such stores I won't be hanging around, say to browse; I'll have a ready plan of what I'm buying beforehand, and if there's a problem I'd sooner go straight to the manager than waste time with some rude employee. But heaven forbid if you do find a problem with a product in such stores, because often the attitude is like well... "What do you expect? You get what you pay for!" Well perhaps... but I don't expect a new dish rack to have essential pieces missing and the wrong size screws etc.. On a side note, I also find employees of housing associations (especially the newer associations) to be rude as well. Obviously, I'm not talking about the retail sector here; but the general trend is that rude behaviour is often linked to low-pay, high-stress jobs, where there's often chaos and ridiculously cheap products or services. The same can also be said for so-called cheap airlines and utility companies.

On the other hand, being an audiophile, I've visited a certain hi-fi store several times. Maybe it's because I've brought many high-cost products there that the customer reps are so polite to me; but boy... I must have tested their patience as a customer in the past. For instance, prior to buying a new plasma TV I asked if I could "benchmark" test the one displayed in the shop (a 50" Panasonic VT20 series TV), as it was close to the newer model I wanted (which although released, was suffering from stock shortages). I wanted to test the new set to confirm how true it was to the manufacturer's claims (which thankfully it was!). I've brought a lot of stuff from that store, but have also browsed on many occasions for lengths of time that would surely test the patience of a saint. Regardless, the customer reps are still very helpful, and some are even happy to work out of their usual hours to ensure the safe delivery of purchased products to their customers. Other retail jobs where customer reps tend to be much more polite to their customers where I come from also include those of the likes of John Lewis, and The House of Fraser.

I guess in the end it rings true that you get exactly what you pay for... After all, when you buy a product, you're money isn't so much paying for the product than for the quality of the service. Thus, if you fork out more you tend to get better service with your product including better courtesy from the customer reps, and more importantly, any problems you might find with your product on a later date are more likely to be resolved more effectively. But, if I'm going to buy something ridiculously cheap from some store that caters for people on say very limited budgets, then the last thing I'm going to expect is politeness from its employees. Like I said before there's no need for rudeness - but in this case I wouldn't go along the expectation of genuine customer service, and as result if I'm spoken to rudely I'm not the least bit bothered, so long as I walk out with what I came for in the end.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 08-06-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2017 08:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furore View Post
    It's because they have to deal with a ton of stupidity and people trying to take the piss out of them solely because they're in the role.
    This. I used to work at the front desk of a gym making sure people had IDs that we require people to have before coming in. We have signs outside that clearly say "Must have ID to enter." We tell them everytime they come in they need an ID. Yet, they still try to come in without it, thinking that we changed our policy overnight.

Also, part of the problem is the fact that co-workers can make it difficult. Going back to my last example, I once asked a person for ID, and the answer I got was, "Well, uh, the last person here said I didn't need it." When co-workers don't follow the policies and customers start taking advantage of it, it gets really annoying.

Worst job I ever had that relates to this is a sports referee, and I'm not about to make a "tl;dr" post about all the bullcrap that job had...

Nice Boat Captain Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Strawberry Nunchaku Blue Saber
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2021 05:03 AM
    The Hellish Death Realms where demons dwell (a.k.a. Planet Earth)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neukifly View Post
    Hmm... sounds like an interesting discussion...

Well in my experience I found that there seems to be a link between the type of retail job and the general attitude of customer representatives: in general it seems that employees of higher-paid retail jobs tend to be more polite to their customers, whereas employees of low-pay jobs (i.e. minimum wage jobs) can be either rude, reluctant, or ultimately unhelpful. I mean, for me I don't so much care how I'm treated if my query gets resolved in the end; but I would agree that there's no need for rudeness.

I guess in the end it rings true that you get exactly what you pay for... After all, when you buy a product, you're money isn't so much paying for the product than for the quality of the service. Thus, if you fork out more you tend to get better service with your product including better courtesy from the customer reps, and more importantly, any problems you might find with your product on a later date are more likely to be resolved more effectively. But, if I'm going to buy something ridiculously cheap from some store that caters for people on say very limited budgets, then the last thing I'm going to expect is politeness from its employees. Like I said before there's no need for rudeness - but in this case I wouldn't go along the expectation of genuine customer service, and as result if I'm spoken to rudely I'm not the least bit bothered, so long as I walk out with what I came for in the end.
    Hmm... would you say that the customer service reps at Verizon wireless make minimum wage? I'm curious. If so, then that might have something to do with them not being so courteous most of the time.

Heh, I was treated with little respect and slow service at Best Buy when I bought an expensive computer and had Geek Squad make me some restore disks. They told me it would take 3 hours to make the disks. I went to see a movie, walked around for a long time, came back and behold... they still weren't done. They told me they had to deal with other customers too. Meh, as if their demeanor shows that they even care. And finally, I wasn't even given a box for my computer. I have no car, and their was no bus service, so they expected me to carry all of it home... Ugh, one of the worst services ever.

@Velvet Nightmare . Wow, if I was in your position, I would have been fired very quickly lol.
    Last edited by Hideki Motosuwa.; 08-06-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Oh, Hi-deeki, imagine... your kind not eating raw fish! ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE38SKRT4ak

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

To put it in the simplest way possible, it's hard to pretend to care about random people when you see a couple hundred a day. You do any task to repetition, and it'll get taken over by the automatic lizard part of the brain so you can think about whatever you want to/need to think about.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Hideki Motosuwa. View Post
    Hmm... would you say that the customer service reps at Verizon wireless make minimum wage? I'm curious. If so, then that might have something to do with them not being so courteous most of the time.
    I'm not particularly knowledgeable about Verizon Wireless; the only thing I know about it is they supposedly merged with UKs Vodafone. The latter I'm more familiar with (as I live in the UK), but in general I'm not much of a cellphone person, and I couldn't say for certain that the customer reps of either company would be paid minimum wage. In my experience I've found minimum wage to be a critical factor behind the ill conduct of certain employees in general though; however it'd be too simple to say that every employee paid on minimum wage must be rude because of that. Minimum wage alone does not necessary make a person rude, as there can be a variety of circumstances behind their behaviour which may or may not be connected to their pay. As I mentioned before, minimum wage jobs also tend to be stressful and chaotic, and it's likely that the accumulative effects of all 3 factors can lead to misconduct towards customers from employees. Of course an employee on minimum wage can be happy or content with their job, since their work environment and work community may be otherwise orderly and pleasant.

I'm assuming that your particular issue is perhaps with the general conduct of employees behind a certain cellphone company? Well, if that's the case then you could also look at this another way: Do you believe that most people would stop buying or using cellphones if the majority of their local cellphone retailers (and the like) were rude to them? If the true answer would be no, then there's little incentive for employees behind cellphone companies to decently treat their customers, because in the end people are going to buy their products out of basic need nonetheless. Also, if there's little in the way of cellphone competition in your local area, then again there's little incentive for employees (or the company as a whole rather) to be polite to their customers for the simple reason that their customers are not in a good position to cherry-pick between cellphone companies - not without having to consider lifestyle changes perhaps anyway.

I can also give a you a very real instance in the UK where the above theory (for lack of a better word) has been proven to be a fact: Back here in the UK before 2005 the Scottish water market was effectively under control of one water company (Scottish Water appropriately enough), and despite the poor service, including the misconduct of their employees, Scottish customers remained with the water company simply because there were no alternative water companies for them to choose from (or otherwise they'd have to move out of Scotland and sacrifice other benefits to be in the range of service from other water companies); therefore there was no incentive for Scottish Water to clean up their act, that was until the Scottish water market was opened up to competition from 2005.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 08-07-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Senior Member Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna's Avatar
    Gil
    Woot
    Gifts K-on Pick Black Cat Manekineko
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2011 11:47 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Everyone has limitations. You may be doing your job right one time and the next time you may be a mess. It's a common human flaw, if you know what I mean. I used to have a job as a Sales Associate in Watsons so i pretty much know what having a bad day in the store means. Besides, job workers here are underpaid. Must be one of the reasons.

:SET BY ME:
    Requests are OPENMy Works Illuminated Spirits
    November Update for my Ebook Collection!
    Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive. -Bugs Bunny

Senior Member Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym's Avatar
    Gil
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-27-2012 11:10 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: pieRESURRECTED

people need to understand that employers get what they pay for.
    when you pay someone sh!t, you get sh!t workers.
    when you pay people well, you get people that work well.

when that guy behind the counter is only making minimum wage, what kind of service do you expect???
    if the people that owned the company wanted better customer service, then they would pay employees more.
    "If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia."

Closed Thread

Thread Information