AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: In a classroom full of 40 students, I'm the only one that likes anime. >.<

Artistic Muse Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish 258 - Mudkip Favorite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2012 10:31 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Unhappy In a classroom full of 40 students, I'm the only one that likes anime. >.<

We had to write a small paper on things we enjoy to read or watch in my Creative Writing class. And of course on top of my list I put manga & anime.

My professor first asked me what it was in front of the class so I explained expecting for a least one other person to add on to what I was saying or something along those lines. Anyway, then the teacher simply said;

"Umm... ok... so it's like a chinese magazine or I mean Japanese like book? Hmm, with a show of hands who has heard of or likes to read Manga?"

I raise my hand proudly and I look around to see nothing but blank stares and no hands up but my own.

How is that even possible? Lol O.o

I say some people were embarrassed by it so decided to keep their like of anime to themselves? Or maybe they really are clueless?

I'll also add that there's an anime club at my college, I live in a large city and my classmates were claiming to have read everything out there.
    Last edited by Kirei Shijin; 01-22-2010 at 12:25 AM.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Manga and anime have seen an incredible surge in popularity in the US since the late 90s, but that by no means implies that it is "mainstream", and that everyone would either be aware of it or enjoy it.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Artistic Muse Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yeah, you do make a good point. I didn't expect everyone to know about it, but seeing as there are so many people my age that claim they have read it all I would have expected at least one person to at least kind of know what I was talking about, lol.

Senior Member unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2010 08:01 PM
    Threads

i believe it. even if only 1 out of 50 people in the us are into manga and anime, thats still a pretty large amount. prolly seems like more people are into it because of forums like this one. no matter what your poison, there is a place on the internet for you to go and talk about it with other people. god bless the internet

Senior Member Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna's Avatar
    Gil
    Shh
    Gifts Flowers Fan2 R2 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2015 06:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I used to go to a school where only I and a couple of people knew what anime and manga is. Then I switched schools, and about 3/4 of the people enjoyed anime and manga. I guess it just depends where you are going.

From SkullMuffins on deviantart

Instagram|Tumblr

つき *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki*'s Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts 001 - Bulbasaur Cowboy Hat Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2021 04:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Hmm . . . yea, around here,
    if you say that in a classroom of 36 people,
    every single person will know what you are talking about.

They may not be fans, but they do know what it is and can tell you at least a little bit about it.

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unruley700 View Post
    i believe it. even if only 1 out of 50 people in the us are into manga and anime, thats still a pretty large amount. prolly seems like more people are into it because of forums like this one. no matter what your poison, there is a place on the internet for you to go and talk about it with other people. god bless the internet
    Yeah, thankfully anime forum exists! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Twila View Post
    I used to go to a school where only I and a couple of people knew what anime and manga is. Then I switched schools, and about 3/4 of the people enjoyed anime and manga. I guess it just depends where you are going.
    Yeah, you're right. I just don't like it when someone says "I've read everything, probably more than anyone in this class" But then when manga gets brought up they're utterly clueless. No one can possibly read everything. haha

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by *Tsuki* View Post
    Hmm . . . yea, around here,
    if you say that in a classroom of 36 people,
    every single person will know what you are talking about.

They may not be fans, but they do know what it is and can tell you at least a little bit about it.
    Exactly. The shocker wasn't that no one liked it, it was the fact that they never even heard of it. But I shouldn't expect every single person outside this forum to like anime too.

Senior Member sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2019 01:15 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: pppascal

It kind of depends on where you are. Like in a bigger city, anime and manga are more well-known/people aren't as embarrassed about it.

Drawn from personal experience. ._.

Senior Member Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pokedex 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2012 01:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Manga and anime are quite fun to say the least. I have been watching/reading them sense I was little. Though I did not start collecting hard copies of it until jr. high school.
    Gero Server Guru

つき *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki*'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jinglefox View Post
    It kind of depends on where you are. Like in a bigger city, anime and manga are more well-known/people aren't as embarrassed about it.

Drawn from personal experience. ._.
    That may not be so true.
    I live in a suburb. It's our entertainment. XD

I think it more depends on the age group.
    If you ask someone in their twenties what anime and manga is,
    they'll probably give you a blank stare.
    That's how it is around here, at least.

It took my parents at least a year to figure out the difference between anime and manga,
    and they still mess it up.
    Of course, they would be around 50 age group. XD

Senior Member unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700 has a reputation beyond repute unruley700's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by *Tsuki* View Post
    That may not be so true.
    I live in a suburb. It's our entertainment. XD

I think it more depends on the age group.
    If you ask someone in their twenties what anime and manga is,
    they'll probably give you a blank stare.
    That's how it is around here, at least.

It took my parents at least a year to figure out the difference between anime and manga,
    and they still mess it up.
    Of course, they would be around 50 age group. XD
    your post made me laugh because i've had the opposite experience. when i talk to my 15 year old sister about manga or anime then she gives me a blank stare....it's like she's a radio shack employee. but i understand, she's a normal 15 year old, the only interests she has are boys, make up, hair, ....and whatever else 15 year old girls are into.....pretty sure the main one is boys though

Stuck in Love's Capture Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Hot Chocolate Flowers Fan2 Wolf
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-20-2015 06:38 AM
    In Between Darkness and Light, Engulfed in Fire and Ice
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That is unheard of O.o who has never heard of Anime or Manga? o.O

Amazing set by
    Ezza Obsuna ^^

The days fly by and the feelings remain
    So far away and causing us pain
    That's okay we'll make it through
    Soon we'll get to say "I love you"

Nanobyte's minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Luna Cake Lie Soras Keyblade
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2017 06:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1596-5790-7816-3407

I have been there before, and also I have known people who take manga to school and when ask about anime or manga they refuse to admit it. I dont know why though I guess its seen as shameful around here, but I don't mind. My password in high school used to be ssgoku. One of my friends picked up on that and teased me for a while.

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I say, why be so embarassed about liking something so amazingly good? No offense but most manga is far better than all the Twilight they were talking about for most of class today. Heck, there's even an anime/manga club at my college and lots of people are members. Lol, this is still coming as a shock to me.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kirei22 View Post
    I say, why be so embarassed about liking something so amazingly good? No offense but most manga is far better than all the Twilight they were talking about for most of class today. Heck, there's even an anime/manga club at my college and lots of people are members. Lol, this is still coming as a shock to me.
    one of the main reasons i got into manga and anime was that american tv has gotten so terrible. i used to look forward to several shows every week but now i watch one: chuck

rip battlestar galactica

Gil
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

your post made me laugh because i've had the opposite experience. when i talk to my 15 year old sister about manga or anime then she gives me a blank stare....it's like she's a radio shack employee. but i understand, she's a normal 15 year old, the only interests she has are boys, make up, hair, ....and whatever else 15 year old girls are into.....pretty sure the main one is boys though
    lol. Yeah,
    most of them are guys that like it around here.
    XD

Girls are kinda like . . . O_O "Why?"
    They'd rather read from the endless amount of books about Vampires. =D
    But they still know what manga is. Not so much sure about anime. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kirei22
    We embrace it if we like it. XD And then join manga club. =3
    Twilight is . . . about vampires.
    Just like pretty much any other book that's made in America for teens.
    Last edited by *Tsuki*; 01-21-2010 at 12:33 AM.

Stuck in Love's Capture Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I've loved anime since I could watch Tv and I've loved manga forever O.o I'm a girl lol

Amazing set by
    Ezza Obsuna ^^

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

one of the main reasons i got into manga and anime was that american tv has gotten so terrible. i used to look forward to several shows every week but now i watch one: chuck

rip battlestar galactica

Couldn't agree with you more on that one!

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The reality is, I live in Japan, which is the home of anime for godssakes, and I would sooner kill myself than admit in a classroom that I watch and enjoy anime. I imagine it would be pretty much social suicide.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datenshi View Post
    The reality is, I live in Japan, which is the home of anime for godssakes, and I would sooner kill myself than admit in a classroom that I watch and enjoy anime. I imagine it would be pretty much social suicide.
    Interesting. I guess I didn't really mind, but the teacher is the one that brought it up first, if it wasn't for her my lips would have been sealed. A college setting is different from a highschool setting. It seems like not as many people judged me now as they probably would back in high school.

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirako Shima View Post
    I've loved anime since I could watch Tv and I've loved manga forever O.o I'm a girl lol

Haha, you and me both, Kirako. We're awesome!!

Gil
    Pensive
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That is true!!!

Amazing set by
    Ezza Obsuna ^^

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirako Shima View Post
    That is unheard of O.o who has never heard of Anime or Manga? o.O
    This is "An IME Forum", for discussing ways of inputting Chinese and Japanese letters on a computer with a western keyboard. Hah! "Anime forum" Are you dense or something? What is this word "Anime" even supposed to mean?! I've been here since 2001, and I've never seen it before.
    Last edited by Eris; 01-21-2010 at 04:23 AM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    This is "An IME Forum", for discussing ways of inputting Chinese and Japanese letters on a computer with a western keyboard. Hah! "Anime forum" Are you dense or something? What is this word "Anime" even supposed to mean?! I've been here since 2001, and I've never seen it before.
    your post just went SOOOOOO far over my head its not funny

Closed Thread

Thread Information