AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: A job that is making you miserable; would you tough it out..if....

Member Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2011 04:18 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default A job that is making you miserable; would you tough it out..if....

You weren't exactly saving for anything huge, didn't have to worry about major bills at the moment, were in school, and had other things going on and could easily find another job?

Here's my situation right now, I have three jobs - my 'main' job is at a nursing home. The other two is an animal hospital/shelter and the movies downtown. I am a student, and live in an apt. with a roommate right now. All my portions of our bills are typically paid ahead of time, and I am not saving up for a car or anything big while in school.

The job giving me problems now is the nursing home, the work is fine, the job is okay, the pay is fine...the nurses, co-workers, ect. are whatever. The problem is my supervisor is a miserable, cynical, bitter woman who yells and questions you even when she screws up big time.

I have never quit a job before actually; and have always worked...but I had to stop myself the other day from just walking out and telling them I quit to be honest...I am not an easy person to get angry. But I am realllyyyyy reallllyyyyy in need of some balanced opinions on whether or not I should quit? I am wondering if this will come back to hurt me in some way, I should add this job has no relation to my school or major...It's just a part time job really. But I feel really bad if I quit for some reason...I just started earlier this month.

Please give me some opinions, I work tomorrow and to be honest I am just about done...but I need an extra push really. >_<

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A job that is making you miserable; would you tough it out..if....

Ask yourself a few questions:

1. Do you like the job?
    2. Does the employment offer anything special?
    3. Does the employment lead to further opportunities? If so, how substantial/difficult to attain are they?
    4. By quitting, do you hurt yourself financially/etc? if so, by how much?
    5. Do you have further employment lined up already for a quick transition?

These are all generic questions that should be taken into consideration. Also keep in mind traveling costs, and schedule burdens. You said you have two other jobs already, which is good, because you don't have to worry about unemployment, but also, quitting a job so quickly after being hired might (and I say might because I can't know for certain) put a black mark on your work profile.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Member Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo has a reputation beyond repute Jjo's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    Ask yourself a few questions:

1. Do you like the job?
    2. Does the employment offer anything special?
    3. Does the employment lead to further opportunities? If so, how substantial/difficult to attain are they?
    4. By quitting, do you hurt yourself financially/etc? if so, by how much?
    5. Do you have further employment lined up already for a quick transition?

These are all generic questions that should be taken into consideration. Also keep in mind traveling costs, and schedule burdens. You said you have two other jobs already, which is good, because you don't have to worry about unemployment, but also, quitting a job so quickly after being hired might (and I say might because I can't know for certain) put a black mark on your work profile.

I don't love the job; but the actual work I am doing at the job isn't something that bothers me at all.
    And no I don't think it offers me anything special considering I am not studying in the nursing/dietary field.
    Not really, my first two jobs with more hours would cover my portion of the bills...and no, but there are plenty of part time jobs for students here in Boston.

Those are good questions, I guess I am mostly worried abut a possible bad reference (if that is even legal? I don't think so..) - Or...what would happen if I just left this job off of my resume, ect.

I am considering talking to my supervisors boss tomorrow when I go on and simply telling him that I want to work more morning hours to get away from the miserable supervisor. And leaving my two weeks notice up to him, and whether or not I get more morning hours...BUT what worries me about that is what if he fires me for even asking? :/ That will look even worse.

I am not sure though ;_; I am mostly worried that my parents will be upset with me if I quit to be honest my mom keeps telling to me to just ignore her. But she is constantly insulting and degrading towards me.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jjo
    I am not sure though ;_; I am mostly worried that my parents will be upset with me if I quit to be honest my mom keeps telling to me to just ignore her. But she is constantly insulting and degrading towards me.
    then why even tell them? You're not obligated, as an adult, to disclose information like that to regular people. Just play the "it's none of your business" card if they ask.

If you do indeed plan on quitting though, just don't forget to always give two weeks notice. Nothing angers employers more than people up and leaving without saying anything.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Genius of Silver Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword has a reputation beyond repute Sword's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2011 07:58 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Daiblix PSN ID: MillionSword

Quote Originally Posted by Jjo View Post
    three jobs
    Do you actually need 3 jobs? I say quit, but I'm biased considering I can barely be bothered with one job.

Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    then why even tell them? You're not obligated, as an adult, to disclose information like that to regular people. Just play the "it's none of your business" card if they ask.

If you do indeed plan on quitting though, just don't forget to always give two weeks notice. Nothing angers employers more than people up and leaving without saying anything.
    Well yeah, but I generally tell my parents anything if they ask that is. She knows I just started this job, so she has been asking me about it. It's kind of hard to ignore the fact that it's making me miserable. >_<

Anyways I decided to ask for the morning hours today when I go to work, I just hope they can start right away if it's possible. If not I will be giving them two weeks notice of course. I actually called one of my old internship 'jobs' at a courthouse and asked my former supervisor if it was legal for them to give a bad reference towards me, and he said no - and it's also illegal to make things up.....so I feel more confident leaving if I have to

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Do you actually need 3 jobs? I say quit, but I'm biased considering I can barely be bothered with one job.
    Lol no, I am usually with just two jobs at a time. The third was for extra spending money for this coming summer actually. But I have already applied this morning at two other places. =)

Senior Member Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi's Avatar
    Gil
    Crappy
    Gifts Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-30-2011 02:16 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jjo View Post
    You weren't exactly saving for anything huge, didn't have to worry about major bills at the moment, were in school, and had other things going on and could easily find another job?

Here's my situation right now, I have three jobs - my 'main' job is at a nursing home. The other two is an animal hospital/shelter and the movies downtown. I am a student, and live in an apt. with a roommate right now. All my portions of our bills are typically paid ahead of time, and I am not saving up for a car or anything big while in school.

The job giving me problems now is the nursing home, the work is fine, the job is okay, the pay is fine...the nurses, co-workers, ect. are whatever. The problem is my supervisor is a miserable, cynical, bitter woman who yells and questions you even when she screws up big time.

I have never quit a job before actually; and have always worked...but I had to stop myself the other day from just walking out and telling them I quit to be honest...I am not an easy person to get angry. But I am realllyyyyy reallllyyyyy in need of some balanced opinions on whether or not I should quit? I am wondering if this will come back to hurt me in some way, I should add this job has no relation to my school or major...It's just a part time job really. But I feel really bad if I quit for some reason...I just started earlier this month.

Please give me some opinions, I work tomorrow and to be honest I am just about done...but I need an extra push really. >_<
    Wow, your supervisor sounds like my mother! You say that you don't really need the job, so from what you're saying it seems to me that your answer is simple and so clear............................QUIT!

Magical Llama Man Ryuu battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Batmobile 1989 Batmobile Animated Jaguar XKR
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-17-2012 12:19 PM
    Threads

Sounds like you've answered you own questions. My only advice is to try not to burn any bridges.
    Set made by the Wonderfully talented Yukari :3
    "You are slow, even when falling..."
    BLEACH
    Father(/mother O-o): Ryutama
    Mothers: Mikuchuu & SuXrys
    Older Brother to:
    Keena Aya Ashikaga
    Miki~
    Xey Oiz

Senior Member Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi's Avatar
    Gil
    Crappy
    Gifts Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-30-2011 02:16 PM
    Threads

Looks like the best choice is the easy choice, so what are you waiting for?

SOS Brigade Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Cheshire Cat Be Mine 312 - Minun
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-10-2023 08:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I've had two jobs before but I didn't have school nor bills to pay...yet. I loved one job and hated the other but the one thing that went through my mind was this: It was going to pay for my schooling and my living costs. There are some days where you will hate your job and other days, you will absolutely love your job. Everyone has on and off days. When it comes down to it, you need to ask yourself if you truly enjoy the job through and through. If you don't, either drop the job and stick with the two you have or find another that you enjoy/have the time for. As long as you are able to pay the bills and be content with your life and what's in it, that's what counts. :3

Every great work of art has two faces, one toward its own time and one toward the future, toward eternity.
    Daniel Barenboim

Here is my family!:
    lilminx: My awesome big sister!
    *Tsuki*: Awesome lil sister!
    Teddy2116:Cool big bro!
    Hikaru_Hitachiin: Cool older Brother!
    kirei-chan: Awesomo big sister!
    Serpentarius: Brother in law!

Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

So I ended up giving them my two week notice today.
    The manager was cool and calm about the morning hours, just asked me to let him know when I would be good to start them - I told him whenever, right away, tomorrow even, ect.

But my supervisor (the manager I guess is her boss) decided to come out of her office and chime in with "oh well you'll still have to deal with me in the morning anyways".
    So I just said in my head "f*** it." and went to HR to get a two-week notice letter and handed it to the manager. I'm not worried about the job and a bad reference anymore honestly; sometimes I forget that I go to one of the best schools in America, that I actually think measly little nursing home folk are going to make a difference in my future, lmao.

I am so glad to be gone, I don't even think I'm gonna show up for the two-weeks left.

Closed Thread

Thread Information