AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: W.i.t.c.h.

Banned Forum / Chat abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678's Avatar
    Gil
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2013 07:09 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default W.i.t.c.h.

I just finished watching season-1 of this Disney-made anime*. It was epic. I mean it is as good most (and better than many) anime I've seen from Japan.

You GOTTA WATCH THIS! It is so FREAKING EPIC! PLEASE WATCH THIS! If you don't you DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MISSING! TOO EPIC TO MISS!!!! And now that I've finished season-1 I'm gonna start on season-2. I bet it's gonna be at least as good!

How to get copies of it though? If lucky and one is in stock, you can get some of the DVDs on Amazon or Ebay. Unfortunately it's no longer on the air in the US, and the DVDs (at least in the US) are no longer in print (and in the US season1 only I think, was released on DVD, but in the UK both seasons made it to DVD). So buying used DVDs is the best way to go for watching this. Also, a ripping/pirate group calling itself "dummy" has taken recordings from the actual TV broadcasts of ALL the eps (back when they were on TV in the US), for BOTH seasons 1 and 2 (and in VERY high quality too I might add) and uploaded it as a torrent. As I don't condone piracy I won't give any links or URLs, but if you really want to go this route, you should remember one thing that will help in Google searches: the name of the group that made these TV recording rips is called "dummy".

*And yes I call it "anime" not "cartoon" even though its "producer" is Disney, a "western" company, because a number of characters are blatantly drawn in anime-style, and many others are obviously a cross between western animation and Japanese animation styles (and very few are completely of a purely western animation style, unlike most other Disney productions who's characters almost all were drawn in a "western" animation style). For example, Prince Phobos I swear looked like a character out of YuGiOh, I mean drawn in that same style if not the exact same likeness of a specific YuGiOh character. And Will's mother I swear looks exactly like a another specific anime character I've seen somewhere before (though I can't quite put my finger on it). Not to mention, at least one of the studios working on it (there were at least 3 or 4 different animation studios that worked on the actual animation on behalf of Disney) was an Asian (thought not Japanese) animation studio. Thus my placement in General Anime section on these forums rather than the Western Cartoons section.
    Last edited by abcdefgh12345678; 02-21-2013 at 02:53 AM.

WOW!!!! Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2023 04:18 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WootenClen

Default Re: W.i.t.c.h.

are you serious?

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

It's actually Italian, booshwa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.I.T.C.H._(TV_series) Based on the Italian Comic Book Series by the same title. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.I.T.C.H. And it wasn't that bad of a show either, though it was made more towards little girls than boys.

If you want, @Gjallarhorn , you can move this to the Western/Non-Jap section.
    Last edited by DeathBlade/13.666; 02-21-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Banned Forum / Chat abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678 is infamous around these parts abcdefgh12345678's Avatar
    Gil
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    It's actually Italian, booshwa.
    I know it was made in Itally. I mention the US and UK versions because they are the only versions that are in English.

As for moving it. That would be a dumb idea. The drawing style on most of the human character (harder to tell on monsters) ranges from an anime-style to an anime-western-combo-style. Hardly any of the characters are drawn in a purely or even mostly "western" style. On style, there is sufficient Japanese-anime influence to conclude that it should probably belong in the General Anime section. But what about production companies? Yes western animation company Disney was the main company, and yes a number of western companies (including an Italian one) were involved in its production. Yes the original comic book on which the show was based, was by some Italian guy). However 2 animation companies were located in Asia though not specifically in Japan (by their names I'm guessing they are in China), and for me this (when combined with the styles used that I mentioned) is enough for it to be considered "an anime TV show".

Just a note: As you probably know, in various places certain things tend to spread from country to country, like art styles. This would explain why a Chinese animation company would use anime-style drawing in their animations. The names of the 2 Asian animation studios are:
    Wang Film Productions and Hong Ying Universe Co.,Ltd

I found these by actually reading the credits at the end of the show (rather than depending entirely on Wikipedia, which never listed any Asian companies for this show).

As for the intended audience (can't speak for the comic cause I never read it, but I can for the show). You say it was for girls. However there's enough fighting and action and adventure in the show, and not too much romance and other "chick flick" stuff (though there is some), that it appears to be suitable for both boys and girls. To me what this show represents is an attempt to produce a show that is like any other generic action flick, but without the normal sexist way of doing it, and in fact reversing the sexism so to speak. If you watch most action/adventure cartoons or anime, most of them will have most or all of the main/hero characters being male. But in this, of the six heroes, 5 of them are female. I'd say this show is a political statement from women that more often women/girls need to be shown in positions of power and as heroes, rather than just victims (in fact, in season-1 episode-2, the male hero was rescued from a dungeon by one of the female heroes, a complete reversal of roles, it would be as if Zelda had to save Link in a Legend of Zelda game). But regardless of any political statement intended, I'd say the level of action etc, is enough to keep guys (such as myself) watching, while also having certain elements that are appealing to girls.
    Last edited by abcdefgh12345678; 02-21-2013 at 04:22 PM.

5. Likes nslay liked this post
    ☢ CAUTION!! ☢ CAUTION!! ☢ DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Ice Cream Scorpio Jack O Lantern
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-23-2016 06:02 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: sugarcoatedshit

I used to read the comic for that series but I don't remember the character designs you showed are that crappy...

Senior Member nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-03-2017 11:20 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by abcdefgh12345678 View Post
    I know it was made in Itally. I mention the US and UK versions because they are the only versions that are in English.

As for moving it. That would be a dumb idea. The drawing style on most of the human character (harder to tell on monsters) ranges from an anime-style to an anime-western-combo-style. Hardly any of the characters are drawn in a purely or even mostly "western" style. On style, there is sufficient Japanese-anime influence to conclude that it should probably belong in the General Anime section.
    I agree with you. Another related example is the anime Big O which is in the style of the Batman cartoon. The Japanese studio Sunrise worked on both the anime and the cartoon (wait, does that make Batman kind of an anime too?).

However, I'm curious what the distinguishing characteristics of anime are. Your avatar, for example, looks like an anime character while the above examples don't look very much like anime characters. I can see that their eyes are disproportionate like your stereotypical anime character ... so what makes them look so different?

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

As for moving it. That would be a dumb idea. The drawing style on most of the human character (harder to tell on monsters) ranges from an anime-style to an anime-western-combo-style. Hardly any of the characters are drawn in a purely or even mostly "western" style. On style, there is sufficient Japanese-anime influence to conclude that it should probably belong in the General Anime section. But what about production companies? Yes western animation company Disney was the main company, and yes a number of western companies (including an Italian one) were involved in its production. Yes the original comic book on which the show was based, was by some Italian guy). However 2 animation companies were located in Asia though not specifically in Japan (by their names I'm guessing they are in China), and for me this (when combined with the styles used that I mentioned) is enough for it to be considered "an anime TV show".

Just a note: As you probably know, in various places certain things tend to spread from country to country, like art styles. This would explain why a Chinese animation company would use anime-style drawing in their animations. The names of the 2 Asian animation studios are:
    Wang Film Productions and Hong Ying Universe Co.,Ltd

I found these by actually reading the credits at the end of the show (rather than depending entirely on Wikipedia, which never listed any Asian companies for this show).
    Luckily style doesn't matter, nationally does. You can claim Japanese style and non-Japanese style all you want, but it's about where not how it was made. Besides, moving it is up to Gjallarhorn. If he wants to, ok. I'll take it. If not, ok. He can deal with it.

As for the intended audience (can't speak for the comic cause I never read it, but I can for the show). You say it was for girls. However there's enough fighting and action and adventure in the show, and not too much romance and other "chick flick" stuff (though there is some), that it appears to be suitable for both boys and girls. To me what this show represents is an attempt to produce a show that is like any other generic action flick, but without the normal sexist way of doing it, and in fact reversing the sexism so to speak. If you watch most action/adventure cartoons or anime, most of them will have most or all of the main/hero characters being male. But in this, of the six heroes, 5 of them are female. I'd say this show is a political statement from women that more often women/girls need to be shown in positions of power and as heroes, rather than just victims (in fact, in season-1 episode-2, the male hero was rescued from a dungeon by one of the female heroes, a complete reversal of roles, it would be as if Zelda had to save Link in a Legend of Zelda game). But regardless of any political statement intended, I'd say the level of action etc, is enough to keep guys (such as myself) watching, while also having certain elements that are appealing to girls.
    And what's wrong with marketing an action cartoon for girls? Either way, you're right. It can go either way for girls or guys. Though I still believe it was intended to be a strong feminine role model for girls. Which ain't bad by no means, whether it be a role model for girls or a role model that boys can get behind.
    Last edited by DeathBlade/13.666; 02-21-2013 at 08:25 PM.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Gil
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Luckily style doesn't matter, nationally does.
    Two of the animation studios that worked on it are in Asia (but I don't think in Japan). That still counts. Right? And if there is enough anime style in it, it still counts as anime in my reasoning. On my hard-drive, animes of this nature go in the "non-Japanese anime" folder.

If Disney's Peter Pan cartoon movie that everybody knows, was actually made by some Japanese company, rather than Disney (lets pretend in some alternate universe an EXACTLY IDENTICAL FILM was made by a Japanese company instead of Disney), would you call it anime? No, because Disney's Peter Pan movie has no anime-style drawing of the Characters. Instead, you'd call it a Japanese-produced cartoon.

The word "anime" as applied to a show is first and foremost a description of a particular drawing style (especially when it comes to the styles used to draw characters, and very especially when it comes to their faces, and somewhat their hair). Anime means "Japanese animation" because "animeshon" is the Japanese borrowed word spelling for "animation". And thus it can refer to any animation, but in the west it has come to mean just Japanese animation. And it refers specifically to the STYLE, because the NATIONALITY OF THE STYLE is Japanese. In other words it is used to refer to an animation STYLE that has its origins in Japan, more than that a particular show/movie originated in Japan. Most Japanese animation is in anime style, yes. But not all anime (shows/movies made in anime style) are actually made in Japan. W.I.T.C.H. is made not in Japan, but enough characters are in anime-style or western-anime-combo-style, that I have deemed the show a "non-Japanese anime".
    Last edited by abcdefgh12345678; 02-22-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Two of the animation studios that worked on it are in Asia (but I don't think in Japan). That still counts. Right? And if there is enough anime style in it, it still counts as anime in my reasoning. On my hard-drive, animes of this nature go in the "non-Japanese anime" folder.
    Being that originally it's an Italian comic and the main production was done by folks in Europe and in America, I'm still saying it fits in the non-Japanese section. Also you can't say where in Asia the "animation" studios are from. If they aren't from Japan, then it still fits with "Non-Japanese". And in case you haven't noticed, the Western section is also the Non-Japanese section (hence "Western/Non-Japanese"). We'll except anything (provided it's not dirty) so long as it's not Japanese made (because there's the rest of the forum for that).

Gil
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Being that originally it's an Italian comic and the main production was done by folks in Europe and in America, I'm still saying it fits in the non-Japanese section. Also you can't say where in Asia the "animation" studios are from. If they aren't from Japan, then it still fits with "Non-Japanese". And in case you haven't noticed, the Western section is also the Non-Japanese section (hence "Western/Non-Japanese"). We'll except anything (provided it's not dirty) so long as it's not Japanese made (because there's the rest of the forum for that).
    The drawing style used for a number of characters is anime-style while others have a crossover anime-western-combo-style. To use a meme phrase: "the anime influence is strong with this one". Putting it squarely in the anime section. Notice that your non-Japanese section is primarily intended for animation exhibiting styles OTHER THAN THE STYLE THAT WAS PIONEERED IN JAPAN. The word "anime" is the description more of an animated movie/show who's STYLE has its origin is Japan, and less about the country that actually did the the act of animating the movie/show (or any other part of production). In other words your western/non-jp animation section is mainly for stuff like Snow White And The 7 Dwarfs, Bugs Bunny, Tom And Jerry, X-Men, Spiderman, Toy Story, Cow And Chicken, Family Guy, The Simpsons, etc.
    Last edited by abcdefgh12345678; 02-22-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

The drawing style used for a number of characters is anime-style while others have a crossover anime-western-combo-style. To use a meme phrase: "the anime influence is strong with this one". Putting it squarely in the anime section. Notice that your non-Japanese section is primarily intended for animation exhibiting styles OTHER THAN THE STYLE THAT WAS PIONEERED IN JAPAN. The word "anime" is the description more of an animated movie/show who's STYLE has its origin is Japan, and less about the country that actually did the the act of animating the movie/show (or any other part of production). In other words your western/non-jp animation section is mainly for stuff like Snow White And The 7 Dwarfs, Bugs Bunny, Tom And Jerry, X-Men, Spiderman, Toy Story, Cow And Chicken, Family Guy, The Simpsons, etc.
    Now where does it say "Notice that your non-Japanese section is primarily intended for animation exhibiting styles OTHER THAN THE STYLE THAT WAS PIONEERED IN JAPAN."? Because I read "So there are actually countries other then Japan that produce decent animation. If you happen to want to discuss any of them, you can do so here".

Gil
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I just finished watching the second season of W.I.T.C.H. a minute ago. And WOW, it was at least as good as season-1, if not better. TONS of action and AWESOME battles!

This show can DEFINITELY compete with shows made entirely in Japan! I haven't been this impressed with a show since probably back when I watched DBZ or Shaman King or Sailor Moon!

You DEFINITELY GOTTA SEE W.I.T.C.H.!!!!!!

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Moved from General to Western.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Gil
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Meh, ok you moved it. Well in my way of thinking it's still anime.
    As is Avatar The Last Airbender, and The Legend Of Korra, and Magi Nation. (based on drawing style used, even though none of those 3 shows were actually made in Japan, and same idea with W.I.T.C.H.)
    So I think it still belongs in the General Anime section.
    Last edited by abcdefgh12345678; 02-23-2013 at 03:26 AM.

16. Dislikes GameGeeks disliked this post
    Gil
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If you could meet any of the characters from W.I.T.C.H., who would you want to meet first?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information