AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: US Debt Disaster

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: US Debt Disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Correlation does not imply causationwiki.
    not to mention the fact that that particular economic data was riding off of a credit bubble, (eerily similar to what happened right before the housing market bubble crashed in 2008).
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I just made a ninja edit to my post to point that out.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pokedex 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2012 01:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Honestly at the rate the US is going this did not surprise me in the slightest. On the contrary I would have thought they'd put it higher than they did.
    Gero Server Guru

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Nothing has been solved and disaster has not been averted. They just kicked the can down the road for a bit so they can make it through their next election.

Typical.

This sort of thing is why I advocate that my state secede. If Rick Perry and the state legislature pulled this crap, Texas would hang them all.

SES Member Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-16-2017 05:34 AM
    Threads

Yeah you guys are screwed.

Good time to stockpile $USDs though
    If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.

Nonconfirmist Goatherder Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-20-2016 06:43 PM
    Threads

Yesterday I sold my Yen reserves, I made a nice profit on them. With the new deal I'm certain the Yen will start to drop against the US dollar. I personally, didn't want the deal to pass and wished the US dollars dropped further.

Senior Member Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym's Avatar
    Gil
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-27-2012 11:10 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: pieRESURRECTED

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    You didn't state that many suffer and few prosper, you stated that a %2 own 90% of the wealth. The later does not imply the former.
    imo, i feel the latter does imply the former.
    everyone always says they want the "american dream."
    well, when only 2% of people are living it, and the other 98% are wishing they had it...... that sounds like many suffer while few prosper to me.

look at stuff like this: http://economicrot.blogspot.com/2010...ycheck-to.html

according to the article - 77% of Americans now living paycheck-to-paycheck!!!
    yes, thats right!
    This means in our nation of 310 million citizens, 239 million Americans are one setback away from economic ruin.

The wealthy didn't take anything from the poor.
    by being greedy i feel like they do take things....in a roundabout way.
    if the ceos or "top dogs" of big companies would be happy with only 1 super-car, or 1 lake-house, or 1 boat, or not be spending money on stuff like this:http://consumerist.com/2010/12/gold-...poop-gold.html (these are pills that make the rich poop golden turds, because everyone knows you aren't really rich until your poop sparkles with gold)
    then maybe they could pay thier employees a little more.

bottom line......
    the greed of the rich keeps others down, and imo, greed is wrong (it's also a sin if you are religious)

All wealth that they legally acquired was gained through consensual transactions.
    lol if you think all the business deals the wealthy do are 100% legal OR consensual. ever heard the term "bending the rules" or "strong arming someone"???

They don't force anyone to work either.
    sweat shops anyone???

People choose to work, because they wish to acquire their own wealth to satisfy their own desires.
    or maybe rather then "special desires", they are just trying to eat and have shelter.
    nobody "chooses" to work. it is something you have to do or you will either starve, or become homeless, or both.
    if the choice is "work or starve" i wouldn't call working a choice.

The wealthy did not impose a desire of food, shelter, etc. on anyone. Nature has imposed these desires. If the wealthy did not employ said people, they'd be worse off.
    and if said people didn't work for the wealthy, they wouldn't be wealthy.

If there is a nobility, it is the government. They actually have the power to take your money and imprison you. The wealthy at most can trick you into a raw deal, but you still have to consent.
    i agree with you about the government, but i feel the wealthy have that power too. IF they wanted to use it.
    money=power
    if a billionaire hated me (for whatever reason) he could REALLY make my life a living hell, or even pay someone to kill me, if he so wanted.
    Last edited by Gauntlgrym; 08-04-2011 at 10:46 AM.
    "If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia."

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well, it looks like the stocks are tanking, FAST. the Dow has already lost 300+ just today. wow

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- U.S. stocks plunged more than 2% Thursday, as investors remain on edge about the global economy.
    The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) dropped 240 points, or 2%, with Alcoa (AA, Fortune 500), Caterpillar (CAT, Fortune 500) and Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500) among the biggest drags on the blue chip index.

The S&P 500 (SPX) dropped 30 points, or 2.4% and the Nasdaq (COMP) lost 71 points, or 2.7%.
    All the three major indexes are down at least 8% from their recent July peak, nearing official "correction" territory (losses of 10% or more from recent highs).
    Those losses came as European stocks also plunged. Britain's FTSE 100 (UKX) tumbled 3%, Germany's DAX (DAX) lost 3.1% and France's CAC 40 (CAC40) fell about 2.5%.
    Fears about a global economic slowdown are at the forefront of investors minds amid recent weak economic data.
    Early Thursday, the latest reading on jobless claims showed a large number of Americans remain unemployed. But economic woes weren't contained just to the United States.
    Taking dramatic steps to shore up their financial markets, Japan's government stepped in to weaken the yen, and the European Central Bank decided to re-enter the European bond market.
    "It's true that we are in a period of a high level of uncertainty, not only in euro area but at the global level," ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet said in a press conference Thursday.
    The market's fear gauge -- the VIX (VIX) -- rose 11% to a reading of 26. That's still just shy of 30 -- the level that signals a high degree of fear. With the VIX up 41% from the start of the year, it's clear that fear has been on the rise.
    It should come as no surprise that investors flocked to assets perceived as low-risk, including U.S. bonds and gold.
    Treasury prices rose, pushing the yield on the 10-year note down to 2.58% from 2.6% late Wednesday, and gold futures for December delivery rose $13.50 to $1,679.80an ounce. Earlier in the session, gold hit a record high of $1,684.70 an ounce.
    full article: http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/04/mark...york/index.htm

except for yesterday, this is the 10th day that stocks have fallen.
    Last edited by Skylar1; 08-04-2011 at 10:51 AM.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    If Shigeru Miyamoto (of Nintendo fame) were the US, president, everything would be better.
    Yes, I want the person who invented Mario to lead the world's last remaining super power. Let's see if we can get Steve Jobs to be vice president, and then we can start selling 100 dollar U.S. bonds to hipsters for 350 dollars and get out of this crisis by next week.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlgrym View Post
    imo, i feel the latter does imply the former.
    everyone always says they want the "american dream."
    well, when only 2% of people are living it, and the other 98% are wishing they had it...... that sounds like many suffer while few prosper to me.

look at stuff like this: http://economicrot.blogspot.com/2010...ycheck-to.html

according to the article - 77% of Americans now living paycheck-to-paycheck!!!
    yes, thats right!
    This means in our nation of 310 million citizens, 239 million Americans are one setback away from economic ruin.
    Then 77% of Americans are living beyond their means and shouldn't buy so much useless crap? Still, this is a matter of wealth acquisition and little to do with wealth distribution. I don't live amongst the wealthiest 27%, so the people around me apparently live paycheck to paycheck. Yet I still see people waste food. I still see people go to overpriced movies. I still see people scoff at frugality. Very few Americans are actually starving and homeless. We've defined poverty in such a way that the poor have basic cable, which is a luxury which my family didn't buy.

by being greedy i feel like they do take things....in a roundabout way.
    if the ceos or "top dogs" of big companies would be happy with only 1 super-car, or 1 lake-house, or 1 boat, or not be spending money on stuff like this:http://consumerist.com/2010/12/gold-...poop-gold.html (these are pills that make the rich poop golden turds, because everyone knows you aren't really rich until your poop sparkles with gold)
    then maybe they could pay thier employees a little more.

bottom line......
    the greed of the rich keeps others down, and imo, greed is wrong (it's also a sin if you are religious)
    First of all, greed is a good thing. It is good that people are compelled to pursue their own interest. No one else understands your desires and circumstances better than your own self.

Second of all, the employees make a consensual decision to work at the wages they receive. Those wages are perceived as a net gain. Why should they be paid more than what they are willing to accept?

If anything, to pay them more would be a poor allocation of resources--a bad thing. Have you ever considered why certain jobs have low wages? It's because the job is not highly desired by society. For example, janitor's aren't payed a lot because there are many people willing to work that job and have the skills to do it. Doctors are paid a lot because few people are able to study hard and meet the qualifications.

By allowing the wages to be set by the market, people are given incentive to go into other fields of labor which have a higher demand because the market will set those jobs at higher wages.

lol if you think all the business deals the wealthy do are 100% legal OR consensual. ever heard the term "bending the rules" or "strong arming someone"???

sweat shops anyone???
    But if they do something illegal, then there are laws and penalties to deter them from engaging in such an activity. People still commit homicide and yet you don't see any politicians getting up in arms about it. Why do you think that is? There's little more the government can do to prevent homicide without taking away everyone's rights.

or maybe rather then "special desires", they are just trying to eat and have shelter.
    nobody "chooses" to work. it is something you have to do or you will either starve, or become homeless, or both.
    if the choice is "work or starve" i wouldn't call working a choice.
    I would call it a choice. You're choosing to survive rather than starve to death. It's a damn good choice in my opinion. It's to no ones benefit that you give up an die.

and if said people didn't work for the wealthy, they wouldn't be wealthy.
    The worker survives and the employer profits. It's a win-win. Cool.

Senior Member Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym's Avatar
    Gil
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    Then 77% of Americans are living beyond their means and shouldn't buy so much useless crap? Still, this is a matter of wealth acquisition and little to do with wealth distribution. I don't live amongst the wealthiest 27%, so the people around me apparently live paycheck to paycheck. Yet I still see people waste food. I still see people go to overpriced movies. I still see people scoff at frugality. Very few Americans are actually starving and homeless. We've defined poverty in such a way that the poor have basic cable, which is a luxury which my family didn't buy.
    just because you live paycheck to paycheck doesn't mean you are living above your means.
    heck, I used to live paycheck to paycheck, and i didn't buy anything i didn't need. the money went to rent, food, and insurance....that was about it.

First of all, greed is a good thing.
    sorry, you just lost me.
    if you really believe that, then there is no way we could ever see eye to eye. no matter how much we debate.
    "If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia."

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I live check to check. I work two jobs to do it and at the end of the month I barely have anything left. When I want stuff I save up what I have and get it, or I use a credit card and pay it back ASAP. The only things I'm willing to put on a card are things of value - mainly guns, or necessities like food. If I want a new PS3 game I wait till I have the money for it. I used to live way above my means and found out just how evil credit cards can be.

I wouldn't call myself poor. I have food and a decent place to live, I have internet and video games, and other toys. I also have a car that I bought new, which has a warranty. So while I don't have a lot of money, I have a lot of stuff and most of that stuff could also be sold for money if I needed to.

I do not, however, pay for cable television or iphones.

Gil
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

@Wio
    just wanted to add some stats real quick in response to you saying "Very few Americans are actually starving and homeless"

744,000 homeless in the U.S. in 2005
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16564208...ess-people-us/
    and that's 2005.....it's probably over 1,000,000 now.

and from another article:
    "More than 50 million Americans are on Medicaid" - so 50 million people can't afford basic medical care
    "More than 40 million people get food stamps" - so 40 million people can't afford to eat
    "Close to 10 million receive unemployment insurance" - so 10 million people have lost thier jobs
    "More than 4.4 million people are on welfare" - so 4.4 million people WOULD be homeless, if not for govenment aid

source:http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...net30_ST_N.htm

40 million people depend on food stamps to eat...........i wouldn't say that is "very few"
    Last edited by Gauntlgrym; 08-05-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@Wio
    just wanted to add some stats real quick in response to you saying "Very few Americans are actually starving and homeless"

744,000 homeless in the U.S. in 2005
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16564208...ess-people-us/
    and that's 2005.....it's probably over 1,000,000 now.

and from another article:
    "More than 50 million Americans are on Medicaid" - so 50 million people can't afford basic medical care
    "More than 40 million people get food stamps" - so 40 million people can't afford to eat
    "Close to 10 million receive unemployment insurance" - so 10 million people have lost thier jobs
    "More than 4.4 million people are on welfare" - so 4.4 million people WOULD be homeless, if not for govenment aid

source:http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...net30_ST_N.htm

40 million people depend on food stamps to eat...........i wouldn't say that is "very few"
    And none of that shows that any of those people are starving and homeless.

Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aeschylus View Post
    I believe he is trying to make the point that the wealth of the nation is so unequally distributed that even those that DO have a job, still require government support to survive.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    I believe he is trying to make the point that the wealth of the nation is so unequally distributed that even those that DO have a job, still require government support to survive.
    No, I'm fairly certain he was trying to rebuke Wio's statement. It's very clear in the last sentence, or, more correctly put, last line of text.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't really understand the point. Those people aren't starving and homeless -because- they get food stamps and medicaid and whatnot. That's the very purpose of welfare. The people who are homeless regardless even though welfare is offered, in general, tends to suffer from drug addictions and/or mental illness.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

the second line i wrote says "744,000 homeless in the U.S. in 2005" (and thats back in 05) so........they are homeless. how do you not see that??

*edit* here's a more recent number too: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/301929
    as of 2011 it's up to about 1.5 million

also, where do you think these 40 million people would get their food without the aid?? hence, starvation.
    well, it's possible that rather than starving to death, they would commit crime to get the money they need to eat.......but that isn't really exceptable either.

in addition, both you and ericgamer1 are right. i was trying to do both with my statement.
    rebuke wio, and further show how unequal and things are.
    Last edited by Gauntlgrym; 08-05-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

did you not read my post before you decided to jump in to the conversation??
    Do you realize that this is a public forum and anyone can reply to anything? However, it's quite obvious that you didn't read Wio's statement correctly. "Very few Americans are actually starving and homeless."

the second line i wrote says "744,000 homeless in the U.S. in 2005" (and thats back in 05) so........they are homeless. how do you not see that??
    Being homeless does not mean one is starving. Oh, and that's only about .003% of the US population(in 2005). That doesn't seem to be an excitingly large percentage. More people were diagnosed with cancer in 2005.

also, where do you think these 40 million people would get their food without the aid?? hence, starvation.
    Getting food stamps does not mean they are not starving, nor does them not getting food stamps automatically imply that they would starve. Many people would not need to get food stamps if they were not spending some asinine amount of Cell phone bills, cable television, and/or other frivolous things.
    Last edited by Anoleis; 08-05-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Junior Member Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux's Avatar
    Gil
    Cold
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-06-2011 07:56 PM
    Threads

It's been the same routine for years, it'll never change. Make a huge collapse, poor get poorer richer get richer and all jerk each other off in one big circle. It's a big club and you're not in it.

Divide and conquer divide and conquer. When're people going to realize how false and unfounded this idea of 'economy' truly is?

It must be hard for those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than the truth as authority.

Gil
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Do you realize that this is a public forum and anyone can reply to anything? However, it's quite obvious that you didn't read Wio's statement correctly. "Very few Americans are actually starving and homeless."

Being homeless does not mean one is starving.
    oh gimmie a break. *rolls eyes*
    do you really think that homeless people are eating well???

Oh, and that's only about .003% of the US population(in 2005). That doesn't seem to be an excitingly large percentage. More people were diagnosed with cancer in 2005.
    go tell people that are dying of cancer that it's not a big deal, because they are and insignifagant percentage....see what they think.
    also 1.5 million are now homeless in 2011 (it's in my edit of the other post). i know that may not be a huge overall amount...but 40 million not being able to afford food is a big deal.

Getting food stamps does not mean they are not starving, nor does them not getting food stamps automatically imply that they would starve. Many people would not need to get food stamps if they were not spending some asinine amount of Cell phone bills, cable television, and/or other frivolous things.
    most people getting food stamps are not exactly living like a rock-star and buying many frivolous things.
    you must live a sheltered life. have you ever even been to a ghetto or really bad neighborhood???

trust me, people don't have many "frivolous things" in the ghetto.
    Last edited by Gauntlgrym; 08-05-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Oh, gimmie give me a break. *rolls eyes*
    Do you really think that homeless people are eating well???
    I can assume that they are eating, as "eating well" has a couple different interpretations, and if they are not eating at all, they're probably dead.

Go tell people that are dying of cancer that it's not a big deal , because they are and an insignifagant insignificant percentage.... See what they think about that.
    And now you're sticking words in my mouth, kudos.

Also, 1.5 million are now homeless in 2011 (it's in my edit of the other post). I know that may not be a huge overall amount, ...but 40 million people not being able to afford food is a big deal.
    Yeah, I looked at your source and it says nothing about current homeless numbers.

And again, you seem to think that everyone one of the people on food stamps are incapable of surviving without them and can only afford food because of them. I think the larger problem is how many people are abusing the system.

Most people getting food stamps are not exactly living like a rock-star and or buying many frivolous things.
    You must live a sheltered life. Have you ever even been to a ghetto or really bad neighborhood???

Trust me, they don't have many "frivolous things" in the ghetto.
    My parents were $40,000 in credit card debt when I was born. My mom lost her job when I was eight years old, and my dad lost his when I was twelve and again when I was fifteen. Neither of them were able to get food stamps or unemployment. Try harder, sweetie.

Oh, and not everyone who gets food stamps lives in a ghetto. I've seen people buy food at the store my mom works at with food stamps. She works at a gourmet grocer, where they sell things like cherry flavored cheese. It's quite obvious that people are buying frivolous things and using food stamps.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@Gauntlgrym
    What does wealth distribution have to do with wealth acquisition?
    The rich aren't getting richer by stealing from anyone else. They are getting richer by creating more wealth for themselves. The poor aren't remaining poor due to rich people oppressing them. They remain poor by creating very little wealth for themselves. So where is the link between acquisition and distribution? There is none.

You only know to blame the rich. You don't even understand how wealth is created or why some jobs have low wages. How can you help the poor like that? All you've really demonstrated is how decades of welfare have made people even more dependent on the state and to an unsustainable extent.

Gil
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I can assume that they are eating, as "eating well" has a couple different interpretations, and if they are not eating at all, they're probably dead.
    i'm not going to waste time trying to debate the specifics of "eating well."
    my point was simply that most homeless people don't get very much food. you are just being argumentative now, i shouldn't have to spell that out for ya.

And now you're sticking words in my mouth, kudos.
    no, i told you to go ask someone a question. never said you said anything.

Yeah, I looked at your source and it says nothing about current homeless numbers.
    2011 not current enough for ya?? (i bolded the edit in my other post because i guess you missed it)

also, the numbers get worse with time. especially with the current state of the economy.
    if i'm using numbers from a few years ago to prove a point. you can bet your butt that current numbers will only prove my point more.

And again, you seem to think that everyone one of the people on food stamps are incapable of surviving without them and can only afford food because of them.
    and again, you seem to think that everyone of the people on food stamps are CAPABLE of surviving without them and have many other ways of getting food on the table.

I think the larger problem is how many people are abusing the system.
    even if 25% of everyone on food stamps is abusing the system, and personally i think 25% is too high of a number, but i'm saying a high number for sake of debate.
    so that's still 30 million that need the stamps to eat.

are you telling me that 10 million abusing the system is more of a problem for our nation than 30 million that don't have enough money for food??

My parents were $40,000 in credit card debt when I was born. My mom lost her job when I was eight years old, and my dad lost his when I was twelve and again when I was fifteen. Neither of them were able to get food stamps or unemployment. Try harder, sweetie.
    ok, so i'm curious.
    how were you able to survive with no money or jobs??

Oh, and not everyone who gets food stamps lives in a ghetto.
    yeah, most do. granted there are exceptions to every rule, but i'd be willing to bet that 9 outta 10 people that use food stamps come from the ghetto, or VERY poor neighborhood.

I've seen people buy food at the store my mom works at with food stamps. She works at a gourmet grocer, where they sell things like cherry flavored cheese. It's quite obvious that people are buying frivolous things and using food stamps.
    so what if they want to buy cherry flavored cheese, they are using them for food. that's what FOOD stamps are for.
    Last edited by Gauntlgrym; 08-05-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

i'm not going to waste time trying to debate the specifics of "eating well."
    my point was simply that most homeless people don't get very much food. you are just being argumentative now, i shouldn't have to spell that out for ya.
    I never asked you to debate the specifics of eating well. As such, being homeless and starving are not mutually exclusive.

no, i told you to go ask someone a question. never said you said anything.
    You implied that I thought that the number of people suffering from cancer was insignificant, even though I made no such implications.

2011 not current enough for ya?? (i bolded the edit in my other post because i guess you missed it)

also, the numbers get worse with time. especially with the current state of the economy.
    if i'm using numbers from a few years ago to prove a point. you can bet your butt that current numbers will only prove my point more.
    I didn't miss it, you twit. You edited it in AFTER I posted. As such, the 1.5 million includes everyone one who is uses shelters on a temporary basis.

and again, you seem to think that everyone of the people on food stamps are CAPABLE of surviving without them and have many other ways of getting food on the table.
    Oh, how cute. I can truthfully say that not everyone who receives food stamps needs them. Oh snap, you can't prove that wrong, while simply sitting at a Liquor store proves me right.

even if 25% of everyone on food stamps is abusing the system, and personally i think 25% is too high of a number, but i'm saying a high number for sake of debate.
    so that's still 30 million that need the stamps to eat.

are you telling me that 10 million abusing the system is more of a problem for our nation than 30 million that don't have enough money for food??
    Are you saying that 10 million people abusing the system is acceptable simply because there are people who are using the system correctly?

I'm saying that those 10 million people are taking money from those who truly need it.

ok, so i'm curious.
    how were you able to survive with no money or jobs??
    They got new jobs, I should think that would be fairly obvious.

yeah, most do. granted there are exceptions to every rule, but i'd be willing to bet that 9 outta 10 people that use food stamps come from the ghetto, or VERY poor neighborhood.
    Yeah, I sincerely doubt that.

so what if they want to buy cherry flavored cheese, they are using them for food. that's what FOOD stamps are for.
    Cherry flavored cheese is about $20 a pound. I'm guessing they are so poor that spending $20 on cheese is perfectly frugal. Maybe they should buy bags of Ghirardelli Chocolate, because that's totally how you act when you're pinching pennies.
    Last edited by Anoleis; 08-05-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information