AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Middle School. What's the use?

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Middle School. What's the use?

Middle School. Am I the only one that finds it completely useless and not helpful towards a majority of teenagers around that age?

First off: Am I the only one that doesn't remember anything from those years? I honestly remember minimal to none from what I learned and I sometimes wonder if the kids that sat next to me feel the same way. Maybe not, but I at least found nothing positive from those three years.

Second off: What is with the grading and allow kids that fail to pass on to High School? Is that teaching those kids responibility? I think not! Yes, maybe it was just my school and I'm typing without knowing how other schools are run but is it fair for the "A" students to be grouped with the "F" students going into Highschool?

Third off: Bullying. A lot of kids receive it around these years and that distracts kids from learning! A lot of teachers seem to not care much though, but then again that could only be the middle school I went too.

I find Highschool and Elementary school very important though, since one preps you for college and life and the other gets you started on respect, the growth of a social life with kids, and learning Math that will be needed in years to come.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Member blackdreams is a splendid one to behold blackdreams is a splendid one to behold blackdreams is a splendid one to behold blackdreams is a splendid one to behold blackdreams is a splendid one to behold blackdreams is a splendid one to behold blackdreams is a splendid one to behold blackdreams's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-05-2011 10:39 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Middle School. What's the use?

ya i find middle school useless you dont get much out of it and you have to deal with a bunch of kids who bully everyone
    haha and this coming from someone in middle school

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

School is important; whatever its name is.

First off: Am I the only one that doesn't remember anything from those years? I honestly remember minimal to none from what I learned and I sometimes wonder if the kids that sat next to me feel the same way. Maybe not, but I at least found nothing positive from those three years.
    It took you 3 years to get through middle school?

Second off: What is with the grading and allow kids that fail to pass on to High School? Is that teaching those kids responibility? I think not! Yes, maybe it was just my school and I'm typing without knowing how other schools are run but is it fair for the "A" students to be grouped with the "F" students going into Highschool?
    That's up to the school board. Also if you wanted to only be with "A" students you could have taken classes with higher expectations.

Third off: Bullying. A lot of kids receive it around these years and that distracts kids from learning! A lot of teachers seem to not care much though, but then again that could only be the middle school I went too.
    Next to every child is bullied at some point; this is nothing new and hardly distracting.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by -Raiken- View Post
    I remember quite a bit about my middle school years; both the good and the bad. The friends, the parties, the name-calling, the pushing, the fights, the relationships and the breakups. A combination of everything.

As The Sadist mentioned, its the school board that dictates what requirements are needed in order to move on to high school (or any grade for that matter). For example, in my district, not only does one need to have the proper credits in order to graduate, they also need to pass certain standardized tests (called SOLs). If you pass the class but fail the test (or vice versa), you don't move on.

Plus, I was in accelerated programs when I started middle school (in remained in such programs until I graduated high school), so I was never lumped with the "F" students.

Err...are you implying that kids aren't bullied in elementary school and high school? If this is what you believe, then you either had no problems or are delightfully naive.

Middle school is an awkward time. Physical changes, hormonal changes, social pressures, a desire to figure out who you are and where you stand in the world. When all of these things combine, you get your typical teenager. Kids want to bully and kids are more sensitive to bullying. One of those harsher steps of growing up.

This doesn't make middle school "pointless", however. What you get out of middle school depends on what you put into it. If you just passed through it on cruise control and did nothing, well of course it seemed useless. If you applied yourself and got highschool credit, allowing yourself to graduate a little earlier than your peers (which is precisely what I did), then middle school was anything but "pointless".

What you listed were common problems that happen in middle school. They don't really highlight the reason why its pointless.

Also, I must ask what your alternative to middle school is. The point of middle school is to bridge the gap (both the educational and social) between elementary school and high school. If middle school is "pointless", what is your alternative to it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Sadist View Post

It took you 3 years to get through middle school?
    For most kids it does (I was in middle school for 3 years, too). Middle school has grades 6-8 versus junior high which is just 7-8 or 8-9, depending on the district (or the country, as the case might be on the Anime Forum).
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Middle School. Am I the only one that finds it completely useless and not helpful towards a majority of teenagers around that age?
    Yes, you're the only one indeed. You don't have to get an educational experience to count as useful, you can also learn a life experience.

It depends on the district on how they planned their classes. What people learned in High School, I learned it in Middle School.

In my school, there were different set of classes. Advance, regular and a below average.

There's bullying everywhere. You must live under a rock....

I find Highschool and Elementary school very important though, since one preps you for college and life and the other gets you started on respect, the growth of a social life with kids, and learning Math that will be needed in years to come.
    Middle School as well for me. =\
    Answers in bold.

Aleyna's Wifey *with a heart sign* Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket's Avatar
    Gil
    Goofy
    Gifts Tengu Mask Green Tea Pocky
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-24-2012 08:31 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yes, you may be the only one. For me it was the best years of my teenage life.

I guess so, I mean as I said they were the best years for me. I learned so much back then, academically and socially.

Definitely different compared to mine, those who fail exams don't get to excel to the next grade level in our school. Someone who fails in the last year cannot get into high school, basically failing is not an option for schools here.

To be honest, bullying isn't that bad in here. Well, actually kids don't get bully that much, I never got bullied while in middle school.

I don't know how it is in America or in other western countries, but in China schools are kinda like military schools minus the beating from teachers. There are those who cane students but that's very minimal, and bullying is intolerable. Middle school would be considered as the best years if you didn't take high school and chose vocational schools instead. In middle school kids are more mature and more socialized, not like in elementary when all we do was play and fight around. Compared to high school middle schools give you more time to yourself, high school is a lot more academically challenging for a lot of students in China.
    So I guess I really have to disagree with you when you say it's pointless. It probably depends on where you took middle school.
    Proud Wife of Aleyna ♥
    Proud Mother of Uta ♪

Fuchsia Ruler Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Heart Pisces Double Bento
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2016 06:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

In away, it seems useless but I think it serves a purpose there. Middle school from how I see it combines students with a mentality of a kid and (pre)adolescent, like they're goal is to get kids to go to high school and prepare for it. My cousins didn't take middle school, in fact they jumped to high school after 6th grade, which is considered elementary school there. But how I feel is that I have a little more learning than them in a way, unfortunately I also feel that they know more stuff than me. :/ Our schools were real cheap.

The first 2 in a half years, people were real immature. So of course it was a living hell and for me, those are stuff I want to really forget. As for learning, I actually learned a lot. I had pretty cool teachers and they helped me in things that I use until now. I remember their lectures. Yeah, surprise. ;P But I use it in a good way to help me in high school, even until I'm on my own. For kids, I had good times and bad times I forgive and (not)forget what they do to me. As I said, for the 2 in a half years, kids were immature and so was I. In a way that I didn't know what to fully do in situations when it comes to bullies, dealing with my peers, etc. I learned from them and I use those stuff later in my life.

Not sure. I don't fall under the category of an "F" kid. I had good grades, the lowest I got is a 68 D is only because I struggled badly in that class in middle school and two the teacher wasn't doing her job. No one had an A or B in her class, the highest was a 75 C. ._.; ANYWAY! Those kids that are "F" students are not my problem. If they fail life, let it be~ Its the least worry.

It depends on the kid who bullies the kid. Think about their mentality and their main purpose of bullying. One: They think they're funny, cool and want to fit in the crowd to cover up their horrible lives at home. Therefore, they pick on someone who is so much better than them at everything. Angry pre-teen is angry. Two: They just don't know better. Come on, middle school kids ranges from 11-14. If they look back, they would call themselves a douche who sucks a bag of di*ks. Three: Like other kids, they're trying to find themselves in life, but they're doing it in a way to make people real angry which I think is very unreasonable. Four: Maybe those kids were not bullies to begin with, maybe you bullied them or they're so annoyed with you and find your weakness to pick on you and slowly destroy you until you leave middle school/high school. I'll tell you this, my sister is bullied a lot because she ended up irritating the kids. ;/ She tells me the stories and I said to her, honestly "They pick on you because you annoy them." I have to be honest. Plus she said that those "bullies" are the nice kid in school. So obviously, she did it enough to piss them of which leads to bullying. And five: Probably they're just real as*holes. Those 5 are my possible thinking of what may cause bullying.

The teachers don't tolerate bullying at all. In fact, someone picked on me so badly until he ended up threatening to put poison on my food. I told the cop that visits our school and he was in serious trouble. Followed by with the teachers that the kid crossed the line. Yeah, he said he was kidding and I had guts to tell him that I hope he rots in juvie. :3 That was the worst bully I ever had, he did other things but I don't want to go to memory lane just yet. lol

I totally agree. (: In high school, I was expecting to be bullied there, but its not bad. People grows up. And all they can do is just be a jerk, I honestly don't think its bullying. ;/ They're angry. lol
    Last edited by Meenah; 12-27-2010 at 05:20 AM.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

No No Wolfgirl. I was implying it from my point of view and from my experience, thus is why I stated how I wondered if any other kids felt the same way next to me. Though I could of worded that somewhat better.

For me at least, I got great grades in middle school, chose some great classes going into highschool and still got paired with students that failed middle school miserably and didn't learn responisbility whatsoever and that doesn't seem right in my opinion, and it made the three years of me actually doing good in those classes and trying hard useless since students who failed got through anyways, and in some or most of the classes I was in going onto 9th grade in highschool. Though teachers may respect you more I guess.

Socially, from what I've seen. A lot of kids come out of their shell towards middle highschool, and not in middle school. Now, I'm not implying that goes for any of the anime forum members or people you know or once knew, but for some kids that I know.

Education wise, I tried getting a lot from middle school and I tried hard, but I don't remember much from those years education speaking. I remember a few things here and there but nothing I'll be able to use in the future.

Also wolf, I'm not actually saying there should be an alternative. I'm just wondering the purpose it held for me, and if I had this question and issue I'm sure others have had it as well. I usually hear adults saying middle school was the worst years of their school lives, though you may not think the same.
    Last edited by Anime Forum; 12-27-2010 at 12:25 PM.

The Savage. -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-25-2012 04:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

ahhh thank god that the UK is smart enough not to bother with that overcomplication in the education system

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Well Middle school is supposed to help you advance your skills and knowledge pass Elementary school, in order for you to be ready for Jr. High school and/or High school. I do agree that there's a lot with the education system in the U.S. that requires change to help simply the processes it has, and to progress the knowledge of the children learning better. I'm must more concerned with changing the fact that in American schools kids spend half their time re-learning everything from the prior year/grade, and spend the other half being prepped for the year/grade, more than I am about there being a 5th and 6th grade.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

so.. wait, what are you suggesting we do then? Lump middle school with high school?

Because, for starters, I can list a few reasons why it's a terrible idea to put 12/13 year olds in the same environment as 18/19 year olds. .
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Senior Member under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2011 11:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: revolucionary

Presumably, it's a transition between Elementary and High School. I found it pretty useful in that regard.

Also, bullying occurs at both ends of the spectrum. From elementary to High School.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    so.. wait, what are you suggesting we do then? Lump middle school with high school?

Because, for starters, I can list a few reasons why it's a terrible idea to put 12/13 year olds in the same environment as 18/19 year olds. .
    Eric did you read what I said a few posts up? I don't think there should be an alternative at all. I just really need to know the use of middle school when around here they group the failed students with the students who get really great grades. If I had this question I'm sure others have as well. Like I said, it may only be my school system but for some reason I doubt that.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I just really need to know the use of middle school when around here they group the failed students with the students who get really great grades.
    If students do not wish to be in a class with those they find disreputable, they can take a more rigorous class. A failing student who's only wish is to vegetate in front of a TV is not going to take Honors(advanced) courses.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It's just age segregation. They don't want too much age disparity between adolescent students.
    I found middle school to be just as useless as elementary school though in the academic sense.

Closed Thread

Thread Information