AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two characters with strange Japanese names came to me in a dream: a hidden meaning?

Senior Member Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2011 07:48 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Two characters with strange Japanese names came to me in a dream: a hidden meaning?

I did not mean for the title to be in the format of the name of a manga or anime. Unfortunately, the length of the title of a topic is limited, so I had to improvise. Anyway, I had a dream that was like a story. I was so inspired, I decided to make a manga based on it. However, when I decided to translate the names of the two main characters, 振り葉 and くり夜, I discovered that they had strange meanings. I decided that computer translation was ineffective, and that I needed to turn to Japanese-speaking people to find out if the two names, either by themselves or together, have a bad meaning.

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: Two characters with strange Japanese names came to me in a dream: a hidden meanin

It's my bed time, so sorry that I couldn't give it more thoughts for now.
    I'll just make some preliminary comments.

振り葉: furiba or maybe furiha could be something like "swaying leaves", like when the leaves swing to a gust. The kanji 葉 can also be read as you, but it's very unlikely that 振り葉 should be read as furiyou.

くり夜: more abstract here. If read as kuriyo, I can't really think of a good translation, except for "chestnut night" or something even more absurd, which I won't go into. It can also be legitly read as kuriya, I suppose, which just simply sounds like the English word "clear"... I did look a little on the internet, and kuri apparently can also be the black underwater mud at the bottom of a lake or something. "water-mud night?" XD

Anyway, yea, these are extremely funny names, but I don't see how they would have a bad meaning... o.O
    Then again, I'm close to falling asleep right now, so maybe there's something I'm overlooking. Someone else can take a look and see if they can discover anything interesting. Night!

Senior Member Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Two characters with strange Japanese names came to me in a dream: a hidden meanin

Well, the names came to me as Furiyou and Kuriya. I decided that since I was going to make a manga I should make sure that they don't mean something bad in Japanese. Thanks for the help, Animeyay. I'll hold out for someone who's more awake .
    Last edited by Yukitomon; 12-15-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Resident Japanese Girl
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2014 01:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by animeyay View Post
    振り葉: furiba or maybe furiha could be something like "swaying leaves", like when the leaves swing to a gust. The kanji 葉 can also be read as you, but it's very unlikely that 振り葉 should be read as furiyou.

くり夜: more abstract here. If read as kuriyo, I can't really think of a good translation, except for "chestnut night" or something even more absurd, which I won't go into. It can also be legitly read as kuriya, I suppose, which just simply sounds like the English word "clear"... I did look a little on the internet, and kuri apparently can also be the black underwater mud at the bottom of a lake or something. "water-mud night?" XD

Anyway, yea, these are extremely funny names, but I don't see how they would have a bad meaning... o.O
    Basically that^

Or you could just use ateji and pick the kanji of your liking.
    ELPHABA LIVES!!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thank you.

Senior Member Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Pink Ribbon American Flag Ribbon Bob
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-22-2013 12:59 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ghost212010

that sounds pretty cool dude crazy dream huh

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Suzumi, I went with your idea to use Ateji and now their names are フリよ (Furiyo) and クリヤ (Kuriya).

Ghost24, it was a very interesting dream, as all my dreams are. However, this one was different. Furiyo and Kuriya are in a house for mentally ill people (I think). It shows the course of Furiyo's life as he learns things from the teacher/headmistress of the...place, acts like a jerk towards the other housemates without even realizing it and alienates them, however, he becomes friends with Kuriya. Kuriya is somewhat younger than him, but I'm not sure how much, since like most of my dreams, the coherence was kind of like a brick wall stuck together with peanut butter instead of mortar. After a while, Furiyo is 17 and has left the house for mentally ill people and has a job and a car. He comes back to the whatever-it-was place to visit Kuriya and finds two well-muscled men, one black and one white, fighting with toy guns. He gives the black man a better weapon and goes to the tree fort where Kuriya is and she runs up to meet him. The two start playing horsie, with the two switching between roles as horse and rider (and no, this isn't innuendo or a double entendre, I'm being completely literal.) At that point I woke up because the dream was getting too wierd. Fortunately, I'm not going to make the manga exactly like the dream, for reasons that should be obvious (I hope).
    Last edited by Yukitomon; 12-19-2010 at 05:54 PM.

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

'Ateji' is when you write where you normally do in kana with kanji. For example "yoroshiku" is given the ateji 夜露死苦. What you currently have isn't quite right; a proper name is never in part-hiragana part-katakana.

I have two suggestions to make.

1. Unconventional naming
    Sometimes giving baby names in Japanese is as chaotic as meiyoukanji itself; one of my fave sites is DQName, a list of weird and sometimes anime-inspired baby names that come from parents with simply no taste whatsoever. The following suggestion will break a few rules and land you in that site.
    - Furiyo is given the kanji 振葉(ふりよう). Sometimes nouns can be understood by removing the okurigana (the り in this case). But doing this can sometimes violate the on/kun pairing rule so people will look at the kanji and say "furiba".
    - The word "kuriya" is actually 厨 or "kitchen". But since you want to incorporate 夜 then 夜 plus 'kuri' should do the trick. Since 栗夜 (Night of Chestnuts) sounds nuts for a name (no pun int- okay I did...), for a meaningful kanji to go with it I can give 繰 from 繰る to mean 繰夜 "unfolding night", but again it will violate the on/kun pairing rule.

2. Conventional naming
    - 葉 is often read as the kun-reading 'ha/ba/pa' so you have two choices here; keep the meaning and use 'ha/ba/pa' because that's how they will see the kanji as, or keep the reading and use another kanji that is read as 'you'. This is a hard thing to do because names rarely end with 'you'... For the former, 振葉 will change reading to 'furiba' and since both are in kun-reading, they're correct, although using 振 for a given name is rare. For the latter, taking the kanji 風里 for 'furi' as shown here with 陽 for 'you' (the likeliest one to be acceptable) gives 風里陽. All 3 are in on-reading so it's valid.
    - For Kuriya I'll take 久莉 for 'kuri' as shown here and place the 夜 at the end. All 3 are on-reading, no probs.

Keep in mind you can still put them in either all-katakana, all-hiragana or half-kanji.
    Last edited by AzureDark; 12-20-2010 at 01:45 PM.

...so that you know where you can find me

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thank you. So, what do 風里陽 and 久莉夜 mean?
    Last edited by Yukitomon; 01-05-2011 at 02:10 PM.

(COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555's Avatar
    Gil
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2012 10:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

When you start dreaming about Japanese people, but you aren't Japanese, then I think you are watching WAY too much anime.
    Last edited by Videogamer555; 01-07-2011 at 01:50 AM.

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

風里陽 "Sun of the windy village"
    久莉夜 "Night of eternal jasmine"
    Meanings sound nice actually...

...so that you know where you can find me

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information