AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anime declaring characters dead without proof of death

(COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555's Avatar
    Gil
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2012 10:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Anime declaring characters dead without proof of death

Case in point, Sailor Moon season 1. Last episode in the Japanese version, Usagi keeps crying seeming to think that her friends getting it handed to them in battle somehow equates to their death. They sure look dead, and the implication of the scene clearly shows the writer of the plot intended them to die here. However there is no proof that they are anything other than unconscious, possibly on the brink of death. There is no taking their pulse, nor checking to see if their breathing has completely stopped. It's like BOOM PWNED, then Usagi goes "WAAAAA and we had so many adventures and I'll miss her forever and ever, WWAAAAAAA, etc, bla bla bla". No checking to even see if said character really died. This leaves it open to the viewer who doesn't want to think of them as dead, to have an excuse to think they survived, and an excuse to the editors here in the US to have the dubbed version imply they did indeed survive. I'd like to see how American dubbers would get around it if that scene actually had Usagi check each of their pulses and uppon finding their hearts were indeed stopped, cry out "They are dead, all my friends are dead, I don't think I can go on like this, WAAAAAAAAAAA"
    This would also have removed ANY question from the minds of viewers of the Japanese version (or English subbed version) as to the fate of all the Senshi who were Usagi's friends.

Member Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-07-2011 10:44 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: franklyngardiner

Default Re: Anime declaring characters dead without proof of death

Well to be honest I guess they didn't think of that...Sailor Moon wasn't exactly intended for people that want that sort of content. I mean, Sailor Moon was made with 9-13 year olds in mind and you can imagine how they would actually be annoyed by those sort of things.

(COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555's Avatar
    Gil
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

But that lack of proving deaths leaves it open for Englaish dubbers to claim the characters weren't dead actually ("captured by the Negaverse" is what they said in the Eng dub of Sailor Moon episode in question).

Member Adirondackanimefreak025 is on a distinguished road Adirondackanimefreak025's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-24-2011 11:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well the Japanese do that for suspense. In Gundam we see characters who are in their mobile suits, said suit is critically hit and explodes, we all think he/she is dead until a few episodes later, they are just really badly hurt. Also the storyline in the Japanese version may not totally match what the english version is, so some characters might be killed off for a bit then returned.

Gil
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

But in SM season 1, they clearly are meant to be dead, then return from the dead after Metalia gets her butt kicked. But they never are STATED to be dead specifically (noone checks a pulse, and says "she's dead"). This leave it open for one to simply think "she's actually just knocked out". Personally, I think this leaving it open for the audience to alter the plot in their own mind isn't good story telling, because it doesn't really cover everything that should have (and could have) been covered.
    Last edited by Videogamer555; 12-15-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Lol, they did die in the last episode. The dub edited the two episodes together.

It was that way for dramatic effect, I guess. It makes for better TV just to kill off characters and resurrect them later.
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 12-15-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Member Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn has a reputation beyond repute Franklyn's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Meh, the point is everyone will make their own little mistakes

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Mic Dr Who Tardis Guy Fawkes Mask
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2020 12:43 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Senevir PSN ID: Senevir Steam ID: Senevir

I wasn't confused on that point and it would seem a little silly to check their pulse. it just doesn't work like that in anime.
    One thing that was completely stuffed up though was in Naruto. I've been watching the series in Japanese, but then the 4kids subbed version came on TV. My brother was watching it since he isn't fast enough to read the subtitles, and my mouth fell open at the scene where Zabuza and Haku died! They showed to the point where Zabuza collapsed; not died, collapsed! And they then made us suppose they were dead. You never saw Haku's dead body which magically disappeared into thin air and Zabuza never got his touching death scene! So, if you were to go by the screwed up 4kids version.... some sick people burried Haku and Zabuza ALIVE!!
    Last edited by Hikarin; 12-15-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Come and join me in FFXIV.
    Gaia Data Centre (Valefor) ~ Senevir Vae'talhrin | Chaos Data Centre (Omega) ~ Myrrh'a Afhkaar
    Elemental Data Centre (Atomos) ~ Kharsarnai Khrui | Mana Data Centre (Masamune) ~ Gakuto Ren

Have a lyrics request? Feel free to ask. Specialty - Vocaloid and other doujin music.
    Subject to availability.

Gil
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think of all companies, 4kids has the most severe edits.

Gil
    Blah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Everytime 4kids edits a show, a angel crys in heaven...

But yeah seriously I've seen a lot of crappy edits but 4kids just starts changing everything and it really ruins the show! I mean come on, they aren't really protecting anyone because smaller kids will learn of violence and all that stuff in other places anyways!

Senior Member Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon has a brilliant future Yukitomon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2011 07:48 PM
    Threads

Well, what you expect? It's called 4kids, as in "for kids". Any company with a name like that is going to be a bunch of bowdlerizers.

Senior Member Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost has a reputation beyond repute Ghost's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Pink Ribbon American Flag Ribbon Bob
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-22-2013 12:59 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ghost212010

That sounds cool i guess

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information