AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rurouni Kenshin

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2014 08:34 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Default Re: Rurouni Kenshin

No he's not since an antihero is someone who's the main character but lacks the qualities typically associated with a hero. Think Batman in this regard. Kenshin embodies the hero qualities fully. As is evident by his desire never to kill, represented by his sakabato (reverse blade), and his willingness to do what ever it took to protect the innocent. Even if you delve into his past you still wouldn't find he fits the definition of antihero. In Samurai X, he's more of a tragic hero since he still has such things as honor. He's just under the assumption that killing is the only way to bring in the new era. As for saying he's not a murderer in the actual series, that's false. While they don't use that word, they do say he had killed in the war.

Senior Member Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Breezy
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2014 12:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    No he's not since an antihero is someone who's the main character but lacks the qualities typically associated with a hero. Think Batman in this regard. Kenshin embodies the hero qualities fully. As is evident by his desire never to kill, represented by his sakabato (reverse blade), and his willingness to do what ever it took to protect the innocent. Even if you delve into his past you still wouldn't find he fits the definition of antihero. In Samurai X, he's more of a tragic hero since he still has such things as honor. He's just under the assumption that killing is the only way to bring in the new era. As for saying he's not a murderer in the actual series, that's false. While they don't use that word, they do say he had killed in the war.
    Wow, thanks for clearing that up.

Morphine. Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Paint Palette Gun Camera Dslr
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-04-2012 09:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digimon_Sommelier View Post
    Was Kenshin some sort of anti-hero? They say it's not even explained if he's a murderer or not in the actual series, is that true?
    I think it's pretty difficult to call him an anti-hero... Because he was a character built in a very realistic way according to his contemporary world. Therefore, he's not a hero, he's a human being with goods and bads.

As for me personally, I wasn't too much of a fan of the series, but I loved the OVA's. Now I haven't read the manga to see the accuracy of the OVA's regarding the "initial story", but apart that, I loved the story, the graphics, the music, the action [especially the action] and Kenshin's different personality. I think it was well done, very concentrated and therefore, the OVA's hold a special place in my list of favorite anime.
    Last edited by Kanjoudakai_Ira; 04-29-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    No Mercy,
    No Remorse.

||Thank you MaruDashi for the great set!||

Junior Member findthetiger129 is on a distinguished road findthetiger129's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-12-2011 10:11 PM
    Threads

I think he's pretty solidly a hero in terms of traditional designators. Sure in the past, he was more of an anti hero, but now he's more of a tragic hero. He's had his share of hard knocks and he'd really just like to stay out of the game if he could, but every time he gets out, the call pulls him back in. What I'm really excited about though, is that apparently they've announced they're planning to come out with a new season. I haven't verified this yet, but that would be totally awesome. I have this art book with some of Nobuhiro Watsuki's later material from the series that I was really impressed with and I think it would be really cool to see Kenshin's later life come to the small screen.
    Last edited by findthetiger129; 05-07-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Darkness beyond twilight, Crimson beyond blood that flows...

http://animeaddictslogbook.blogspot.com/

5. Likes battousai_ryuu liked this post
    Junior Member presynaras is on a distinguished road presynaras's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-05-2011 11:07 AM
    Threads

Samurai X, my favourite. I am starting seeing it after a very loooonnnnggg time. I simply love it. I have spent my childhood drawing the characters over and over again

Member Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori's Avatar
    Gil
    Approved
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-05-2013 03:09 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kazetori- Steam ID: Kazetori

I own all the anime plus the OVA's, plus I'm working on the manga. I currently have 1-15 of the manga. I really love this series. This series is what got me into practicing kendo plus this was one of my first animes. I actually haven't read the manga yet, I'm missing book 2, but it's backordered right now, and should be here within the week, so once I have that, I will start the manga. I am very excited! ^_^

8. Likes battousai_ryuu liked this post
    Member z3y2x1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past z3y2x1's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2013 12:35 AM
    Threads

I need to watch this show again!

Junior Member shaera-phina is on a distinguished road shaera-phina's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2011 07:12 PM
    Threads

The anime is good, my first anime actually. But don't watch past the kyoto arc after that the creators run out of money and its not good. I like the manga but I don't yet own all of it. As far as the movies. Trust and betrayal was not too bad the one about the end was horriable as many have already sad. If you do choose to watch the movies, do not, for your own mental safety, i repeat do not watch them in english dub. They mess up all the names and the voice actors are horrid.

Senior Member Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Orange Dango Bioshock Eve Soul Eater Logo
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-06-2012 05:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Rurouni Kenshin and Saint Seiya were my childhood anime. I loved the OVAs but was left broken hearted at the end of the future OVA when

one of your childhood heroes dies
    . The creator said he wanted Rurouni Kenshin to end with a happy ending.
    Senjougahara Fascination

Member sephygirl1789 is on a distinguished road sephygirl1789's Avatar
    Gil
    Happy
    Gifts Death Note
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2011 07:07 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

i love ruroni kenshin! i dont have the anime but i do watch it occasionally on you tube and have vol 1 of the manga ruroni is my favorite! ^_^
    I am Sephiroth's girl. We will rule over you! Challenge this couple if you dare!

Junior Member shenglu is on a distinguished road shenglu's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 12:09 AM
    Threads

I did not use the show on VHS when they try to get rid of all the VHS tapes. I remember that I can get $ LED Flashlights 2 tape than they used to do what you pay $ 25.

Senior Member Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon__Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Breezy
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2014 12:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Bring this classic anime to Toonzai! lol

My Wi-Fi, it's gone out...
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Junior Member AnmA is on a distinguished road AnmA's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-16-2012 07:16 PM
    Threads

loved the manga and Samurai X both for two very different reasons though. The manga is super fun and light with some a lot of real history but Samurai X was gritty. it showed the harsh reality of battles leading up to the Meiji Revolution and the politics of the modernization of Japan. I think it was the perfect prequel showcasing Kenshin's former self but i really didn't like the other OVA about after their adventures ... kinda boring

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2014 08:34 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Quote Originally Posted by AnmA View Post
    loved the manga and Samurai X both for two very different reasons though. The manga is super fun and light with some a lot of real history but Samurai X was gritty. it showed the harsh reality of battles leading up to the Meiji Revolution and the politics of the modernization of Japan. I think it was the perfect prequel showcasing Kenshin's former self but i really didn't like the other OVA about after their adventures ... kinda boring
    There is no real history in the manga. He draws heavily from history but it's all fictional.

Junior Member AnmA is on a distinguished road AnmA's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-16-2012 07:16 PM
    Threads

uh... I think you may have misunderstood me. Not that the main characters or story are true but the historical context in which he places the events are

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information