AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Do you use your right to vote?

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Do you use your right to vote?

Confession time... I was given the right to vote from 7 years before. However... for the 1st 6 years I didn't use it... I thought it was a waste of time... that none of the political parties in my country would care to make any difference to the lives of ordinary folk... and that it would change nothing...

But from last year, my attitude to voting completely changed after reading a book called "The Meaning of Things" by A C Grayling... a philosopher. In his brief but rather knowledgeable essay, he pointed out the fact that many people had thought (some at the cost of their lives) for their right to vote in several countries... not least the US and The UK to name but a few.

After reading that essay, I realised that if people hadn't fought for their right to vote in the past, I for one may not have the luxury of being able to waste my own. So now with a more positive approach, whenever I have doubts about the worth of voting, I remind myself of the fact that I'm living in a democratic country where people of any gender and any orientation can vote freely... and then I think actually, we have made significant progress in the grand scheme of things.

I do accept that there are still many inequalities in the world that have yet to be answered - but I think it's also worth remembering that the biggest and most positive changes in the world intially began with the right to vote... (not to mention that without the right to vote... I most likely would not even have the privelage of being a UK citizen... much less the privelage to write this thread...) so in this respect voting is fundamental to change.

In the light of recent times I can understand why many would be inclined not to vote... and for which I'm sure they have considerable reasons. But I believe that if there's one reason for us to vote... it should be because we may very well lose our right to vote in the future through not voting.

Thus this is thread is highly aimed at encouraging debate on the right to vote; so if you wish to elaborate on the following question, please feel free to do so:

Do you use your right to vote... and if yes or no, why?

Senior Member Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion has a reputation beyond repute Megamind's Minion's Avatar
    Gil
    Devilish
    Gifts EVE Heart Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2012 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you use your right to vote?

voting in my country basically starts at 16...
    when you vote in rural areas where teens are asked to represent themselves...
    and nationals is of course at the legal age of 18...

the first one i haven't tried registering because i was afraid that if i do i will be asked to run which of course i don't want to...
    i hate having responsibilities on my shoulder...
    i mean i barely met my own standards, why conform to others standards?...

the second one... as responsible citizen, i did register when i turned 18 but i haven't use that right yet since the national election was held last summer and i was at school doing my internship...
    and i live a long way from home... long by definition is 14 hours at sea... or an hour of plane plus 8 hours of bus ride..

or i am just being an a*s and giving justifications for my being unable to vote...
    but i made no regrets since most of the candidates i would be voting for got voted into office...
    i am content for now..

~Howl's Mistress Evil Twin from the Other Side here to save her from further humiliation...

avenge me!..
    kill kill kill

sig by .Elmer

Junior Member RPGHero is an unknown quantity at this point RPGHero's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-05-2012 07:42 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Chansu90 PSN ID: RPGHero

I use my right to vote. I live in America and I'm like 22. I think everyone around my age and above 18 should use their right to vote. The people in power only care about the older folks. that's why younger people should be involved with the systerm. Everything going on in our country and world is affecting or gonna affect us. Just because we're young doesn't mean that politics don't affect us!

A blog that will cure your apathy and inspire your dreams... Warning: Applies to otaku, gamers, J-music junkies, and the like.

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think voting in the US, at least for the Presidency is a waste of time because our "electoral college" interferes. I support direct election by the people. If a Texan voted for Obama, his vote didn't get counted. If a Californian voted for McCain, his vote didn't get counted. It's nearly always a winner take all system.

I exercise my right to vote, because I believe it is my civic duty. However, I'm often at a loss when I get to the polls. It's not that I'm uninformed, it's that I generally don't support any of the crooked bastages.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I vote sometimes and don't vote other times. If I am not excited about any of the issues are candidates, I may skip out.

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2018 11:48 PM
    Threads

Voting is compulsory in Australia. You get fined if you don't vote, but only if you've actually bothered to enrol in the first place... I have voted at every election.

Tru Fax: Princess Minako wrestled Jesus... and won

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I voted once. But not in the latest election, because none of the options managed to convince me they were fit for the job.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Just Some Color Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2016 01:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

While in the states I voted every time the situation arose from the time I turned 18. Now that I'm overseas I've limited myself to absentee voting in presidential elections only, in order to keep my sanity.

Simple Truth CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2010 02:07 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Only if they come straight to me, shake my hand and say,"It's a good deal." Though, I'm thinking of exercising my right to vote only after a having a sound job and something to rant about if I'm not satisfed or if someone says "Change We Can."
    "To do is to be" - Descartes, "To be is to do" - Voltaire, "Do be do be do" - Sinatra.

NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY

The Savage. -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-25-2012 04:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

the Scottish Elections this time round are held 4 days after my 18th birthday so i'll definately be voting this time.

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    Threads

Never did, and I bashed and made fun of all my friends who did. Can you believe what IDIOTS? Talking to me about "democarcy", saying it's a right and duty, mentioning dead people in the revolution, calling me a communist...
    Here's how it goes, fools, democracy is the same shyte as communazism, only instead of forcing you, they "give you the right to comply", which is the same. Voting is not a right, it's a horserace bet ticket that you can't cash in; it's no duty, you owe this system and it's overstuffed pigs NOTHING. And people have died blindly in vane all the time, if you can't help caring about them, then at least learn not to be a tool like they were.

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

Senior Member Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos has a reputation beyond repute Aulos's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Rainbow Ribbon 104 - Cubone Saxophone
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2016 09:09 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bassoonist26

I vote but there isn't any point in me doing so.

~Made by me~

Out to save turtles Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea has a reputation beyond repute Bibi of the Blue Sea's Avatar
    Gil
    Asleep
    Gifts Portal Companion Cube Moon Crystal Locket Dice D20
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-26-2011 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BibiTurtle Steam ID: BibiTurtle

When I turned 18, the elections were already over with. (My birthdate falls on a 13th, I was 6 days too young to vote.) Ever since, I've been carefully utilizing my right to vote or not to. People get really mad when I told them I chose not to vote. I didn't like any of the candidates and I didn't want to waste my time at the ballots. Why should I go waste my time writing in a bunch of people when they're only getting my one vote?
    I really feel a lot of the voting is old fashioned and needs to be re-evaluated, especially the presidential election.

Thanks for the sig Xey Oiz ^.^

AF's resident Crazy Cat Lady Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf's Avatar
    Starving
    Gifts Mario Bowser Shell Mario Bob-omb Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2014 12:38 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CaptainEllipsis Steam ID: CaptainEllipsis Wii Code: 2388 1485 3012 2739

I use my AF right to vote for Sig of the Week...which I doubt anyone else in this thread has done recently. So, shame on you AF, I am very disappoint. As for voting irl...I've been able to vote for a year now, but I refuse to do so from here on. Why? There are more enjoyable ways to waste time.

Closed Thread

Thread Information