AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Solar Power

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Solar Power

Do you see it as being a major energy resource, or is it just too costly?

How much longer do you think it will be before solar energy finds it's true niche?
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Solar Power

Well, the solar constant is about 1000 kW/m^2.
    The atmosphere probably absorbs at least half of that (as much of it is in the non-visible spectrum, in which the atmosphere is largely opaque).
    The world energy consumption is of order 500*10^18 J/year.
    Consider solar cells that are e% effective.
    Thus, we would need to cover an area of (1/e)*30 km^2 with solar cells.

Assuming solar cell effectiveness of order 25-50% (which is very high), we'd need to cover an area the same order of magnitude as Manhattan with solar cells to cover the entire world's energy needs. Which is probably feasible, but would be one hell of an engineering feat both to build and maintain.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

The Savage. -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-25-2012 04:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It lacks the reliability of hydro and wind power, and agin to bring up the issue of it's unreliability in northern countries.
    Last edited by -GAZKUL-; 01-13-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Which is probably feasible, but would be one hell of an engineering feat both to build and maintain.
    yes, but when you think about it economically, that's probably a really good thing. It is big and complicated, which means that there's going to be a very massive need for a lot of workers- a lot of people, whom otherwise wouldn't have a job.

and given that it would most likely be made down here in the southwestern area of the US, where the largest concentration of Sun comes from, there should be no shortages of 'help wanted'.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    yes, but when you think about it economically, that's probably a really good thing. It is big and complicated, which means that there's going to be a very massive need for a lot of workers- a lot of people, whom otherwise wouldn't have a job.

and given that it would most likely be made down here in the southwestern area of the US, where the largest concentration of Sun comes from, there should be no shortages of 'help wanted'.
    Not just any workers off the street, though. This is precision engineering, so most workers would require fairly extensive education to be useful. And you'd probably need one facility on each continent (Southwestern US, The Sahara, The Gobi, and some other similar locations).

Nanobyte's minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Luna Cake Lie Soras Keyblade
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2017 06:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1596-5790-7816-3407

I say its still inefficient until they're able to come up with solar panels that are able to absorb a wider range of solar waves. It's to costly for now. And even if it wasn't, wouldn't that totally destroy the economy of other energy sources?

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I say its still inefficient until they're able to come up with solar panels that are able to absorb a wider range of solar waves. It's to costly for now. And even if it wasn't, wouldn't that totally destroy the economy of other energy sources?
    It's bad for the economy to preserve inefficient business models. If other energy sources can't keep up, they shouldn't exist.

Aggressively stupid Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Kawaiislice Alice Pocket Watch
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-07-2024 04:50 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If all power was to be generated in one spot, wouldn't that be the #1 terrorist target? I'd say spread them centrals around the world. o_o

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    If all power was to be generated in one spot, wouldn't that be the #1 terrorist target? I'd say spread them centrals around the world. o_o
    Wouldn't really be feasible to attack a facility four times the size of Manhattan. Even if you spent all day destroying stuff with a bulldozer, you'd only reduce efficiency by some fraction of a percent, and you'd need well in excess of that in redundancy anyway.

Actually bigger than you. miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Violin Cds
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2013 07:01 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: miniPhil

Forget solar bro, wind power is where it's at. Well, I'm only saying that as I live in a very windy, non sunny country.
    This is a Sig. It's horribly out of date.

Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miniPhil View Post
    Forget solar bro, wind power is where it's at. Well, I'm only saying that as I live in a very windy, non sunny country.
    The problem with wind is not so much feasibility, but rather limitation of resources.

The way we have windmills set up now is great and everything, but you have to remember, that to get the energy from the wind, you need to take it out of the wind. Meaning, that if we were to REALLY scale things up to a point were they'd be super efficient, we'd take so much energy out of the wind, that... well, there wouldn't be any wind left. o_O; which, has pretty nasty consequences on the environment if you think about it..

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miniPhil View Post
    Cut down on the beans and you'll see the wind will subside.

Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I had to do the math for my environmental science class and a solar panel that would cover all the electric energy for my family would cost over $52,000.00 and would take over 39 years to pay itself off. That's way to expensive to consider, especially since my parents gross annual income is less than $45,000 and they live on a fixed income. All of those damn hippies who keep preaching about alternative energy can suck my bleep.

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YokoKuwabara View Post
    I had to do the math for my environmental science class and a solar panel that would cover all the electric energy for my family would cost over $52,000.00 and would take over 39 years to pay itself off. That's way to expensive to consider, especially since my parents gross annual income is less than $45,000 and they live on a fixed income. All of those damn hippies who keep preaching about alternative energy can suck my bleep.
    Oil is fast running out. In a decade or two, there will be no alternative to alternative energy. Though solar panels are still a relatively young technology, so reductions in cost is probably to be expected by then.
    Last edited by Eris; 01-17-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

All these innovative alternative energies are nice as supplements, but they are probably not, actually, they are not, ready to become the main form of energy production yet.

Moderator Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Be Mine Alfa Romeo Spider JTS Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-12-2017 03:31 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I highly doubt any of our world leaders will be thinking about solar energy as an alternative to the 'magic liquid' that happens to run everything.

Its also unlikely, because the Sun goes away each day and doesnt tell us where its going.

Closed Thread

Thread Information