AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Online relationships - Do they work? Are they real?

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-26-2015 11:48 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Online relationships - Do they work? Are they real?

I don't think there's any indication that they are very much different from offline relationships. Sure, they're almost certainly doomed to fail, but that's mostly because they're almost certainly a relationship between teenagers or young adults, and such relationships almost never last particularly long.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

boopaloop! 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2011 01:53 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ѺϦᵴιᶑιѧϗ ʆʋᶑᶃԑ View Post
    How is this any different than a regular relationship? When one participant find someone more appealing then another, and/or their current partner is no longer appealing, a new partner is sought.
    In real life, however, you will notice when your relationship starts to deteriorate and you will be able to do something about it, instead of getting a "Hey honey, I just found someone real, so I'm breaking up with you".

I do believe that there are more components to a relationship than 'physical contact'
    Right, but physical contact is the most important one. Remember when you were feeling down and someone put a hand on your shoulder? And suddenly, it's all much more bearable? Well, your IM friends who live thousands of miles away are unable to do that, so it's natural to turn to someone who can.

Again, the success or failure of any relationship depends on the people involved. Online and long distance relationships are no exception.
    In most cases, long-distance, open, or any other kind of relationship with a catch won't work. What it takes for it to work is two people who are either a perfect match, and at the same time messed up enough to not be able to meet people IRL, or with a very specific (today almost nonexistent) mindset. Or a huge amount of luck.

Did you move in with every girlfriend you had in high school? A relationship can exist without cohabitation. Moving in together as a result of online relationship doesn't automatically make a relationship 'work' either.
    No, but me and my girlfriend lived in the same damn city, not 500 miles away. That's my point, not just moving in. Since moving in together would be easier than for one partner to get an apartment somewhere close enough to the other.

Senior Member Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Gifts Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2012 05:29 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

HAHAHA, I'm sorry. I must of read it wrong.
    It's real all right, even if the "feelings" aren't, especially by emoticons and smilies and whatnot. Too many means "Let's play, pretend, and cyber all day. Har dee har har." I think strictly-online relationships are only for people who simply spend their time bragging about their [gender]friend than actually getting to know them. If you wanted to try, go ahead. The consequences are yours to take. Long distance relationships are different though.
    ooshy ooshy ooshy
    Website|Deviantart
    Msn, email, icq, Facebook? Ask

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2014 01:26 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3pleT View Post
    In real life, however, you will notice when your relationship starts to deteriorate and you will be able to do something about it,
    You can tell when someone is mad or sad by how they say thing, their tone changes.

instead of getting a "Hey honey, I just found someone real, so I'm breaking up with you".
    This happens to coupes who date offline. Although sometimes it "Hey honey your sister/brother is better, bye."

Right, but physical contact is the most important one.
    Says who?
    Remember when you were feeling down and someone put a hand on your shoulder? And suddenly, it's all much more bearable? Well, your IM friends who live thousands of miles away are unable to do that, so it's natural to turn to someone who can.
    No, I hate when people touch me. I prefer having someone talk to me much more than their physical contact.

In most cases, long-distance, open, or any other kind of relationship with a catch won't work. What it takes for it to work is two people who are either a perfect match, and at the same time messed up enough to not be able to meet people IRL, or with a very specific (today almost nonexistent) mindset. Or a huge amount of luck.
    It takes all these things for a regular relationship to work.

No, but me and my girlfriend lived in the same damn city, not 500 miles away. That's my point, not just moving in. Since moving in together would be easier than for one partner to get an apartment somewhere close enough to the other.
    Moving in together is hard no matter how the participants have met.

boopaloop! 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

You can tell when someone is mad or sad by how they say thing, their tone changes.
    Sure, but you can't stop it. She doesn't feel like talking to you, she won't get online, so basically, if you get a bit distant, the only way you can fix it is to pay her a visit. At which point it would cease to be just an online relationship.

This happens to coupes who date offline. Although sometimes it "Hey honey your sister/brother is better, bye."
    In real life, you are able to see something's wrong before it happens. At some point, everyone learns not to ignore their hunches, and you WILL get a hunch when she starts acting kind of weird or when you notice how she spends too much time with your brother.

No, I hate when people touch me. I prefer having someone talk to me much more than their physical contact.
    Well, then there must be something wrong with you, since I don't know a single person who doesn't like to be touched (I don't mean like touch or poke, I just mean friendly human contact).

It takes all these things for a regular relationship to work.
    You didn't understand me. Just talking to someone online may fulfill 50% of your needs, but you're still not fully satisfied. If an opportunity shows for you to get the other 50% somewhere else, you'll probably do it, even if you think you won't right now. So if she finds a better match for herself in real life, she might actually try to get to know that man, get closer to him, and when she does, she figures out he just gave her 50% she was looking for and a big chunk of your 50, and the whole thing goes south.

Moving in together is hard no matter how the participants have met.
    It's easier than being far away.

Senior Member Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Eternal Moon Article Mercury Star Wand Top Tuxedo Mask Rose
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Probably not ... completely online. You have to meet them at some point.

Junior Member Takumi Michio has a reputation beyond repute Takumi Michio has a reputation beyond repute Takumi Michio has a reputation beyond repute Takumi Michio has a reputation beyond repute Takumi Michio has a reputation beyond repute Takumi Michio has a reputation beyond repute Takumi Michio has a reputation beyond repute Takumi Michio has a reputation beyond repute Takumi Michio has a reputation beyond repute Takumi Michio has a reputation beyond repute Takumi Michio has a reputation beyond repute Takumi Michio's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-24-2010 05:01 PM
    If you see a boy playing his DS while the others play football, that'll be me.
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    How can you be "100% certain"?

Somehow meeting someone in person excludes them form being a psychopath? You can never be completely sure of someone's intents, online or in person.
    I honestly don't know how you can be one hundred percent certain. But, if it's true love, you have to take a chance or a risk. If you truly believe, it'll hopefully be worth it in the end.
    "It's not faith if you're using you eyes."
    ^^ Amazing Signature by Kirako Shima <3

............. kenny_killer has a reputation beyond repute kenny_killer has a reputation beyond repute kenny_killer has a reputation beyond repute kenny_killer has a reputation beyond repute kenny_killer has a reputation beyond repute kenny_killer has a reputation beyond repute kenny_killer has a reputation beyond repute kenny_killer has a reputation beyond repute kenny_killer has a reputation beyond repute kenny_killer has a reputation beyond repute kenny_killer has a reputation beyond repute kenny_killer's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-18-2010 10:37 PM
    stuck in the process of becoming infinity.
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ekdromoi

I have read about people who have had sucessful relationships begining online.
    One example is a photographer by the name of Sarah R. Bloom.

I have also met several people online who have said they had developed strong feelings for people online through texting, IMs, and social networks.

so based on personal experience, I would say yeah they can work. Although they can be legitimate relationships, it takes a particular kind of person for the relationship to evolve into anything meaningful.
    [We the unappeased, the unaccepting continued looking,
    filling in the silences with our own wishes, fears and fantasies.
    Driven forward by the fact that no matter how empty the world
    seemed, no matter how degraded and used up the world appeared to
    us, we knew that anything was still possible.]

Senior Member Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-24-2011 10:38 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well, then there must be something wrong with you, since I don't know a single person who doesn't like to be touched (I don't mean like touch or poke, I just mean friendly human contact).
    Some people honestly, cannot stand physical contact. A pat on the back, it`s a personal thing. I`m a very affection person, yet I have friends who hate me touching them in any soft of way. They make a tendency of steering clear of even people accidentally brushing up against them. But, hell they are human, and it`s how they function. You respect it.

You didn't understand me. Just talking to someone online may fulfill 50% of your needs, but you're still not fully satisfied. If an opportunity shows for you to get the other 50% somewhere else, you'll probably do it, even if you think you won't right now. So if she finds a better match for herself in real life, she might actually try to get to know that man, get closer to him, and when she does, she figures out he just gave her 50% she was looking for and a big chunk of your 50, and the whole thing goes south.
    Either way, even if you were in a 'physical' relationship there is still a high chance that you`re significant other would still find anotehr person taht would catch thier eye, who is to say that they won`t stay faithful if they find~ to what they might think at the time. "Something better"

Yeah, I couldn`t agree more. Living with someone can have it's complications, people clash and we don`t always get along or have it your own way. Well, it`s called life and you just get used it.

Every relationship has it`s Pro`s and Con`s, be person 1 and person 2 love each other, either it`s online or under the same roof. Complications arises, and if you can beat the odds and come through it as a better, stronger couple. Commit to the relationship, and stay all true faithful. Good on you, I say.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2014 01:26 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Sure, but you can't stop it.
    I beg to differ.

He doesn't feel like talking to you, he won't get online, so basically, if you get a bit distant, the only way you can fix it is to pay him a visit.
    Or you could just call.

And btw the easiest way to find a phone number and address, is to have a last name. If you have a last name your have the starting point for looking. [ULTIMATECREEPERSTATUSGET]

At which point it would cease to be just an online relationship.
    That's the point of every online relationship, at least those that are looking for a lasting relationship.

In real life, you are able to see something's wrong before it happens. At some point, everyone learns not to ignore their hunches, and you WILL get a hunch when she starts acting kind of weird or when you notice how she spends too much time with your brother.
    You can do this online as well. Well I can, but if people paid more attention they'd see it as well.
    Simple changes in vocabulary and tone can show all sorts of things.

Well, then I'm normal, so everything that you do different from everyone else is not acceptable and weird.
    This still applies to a regular non-distance/online relationship.
    A guy finds he can get 'some' from girl B, so he dumps girl A.
    Again, the people involved change how the end will work out.

Debatable.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Obsydian Judge View Post
    Or you could just call.
    Yeah, and she hangs up and says she can't talk at the moment, just like they do in real life when they're avoiding you. And then they don't call you and turn their phone off when they get home, because they were "tired".

That's the point of every online relationship, at least those that are looking for a lasting relationship.
    Yes, but I was saying that online relationships are more likely to end early than the regular ones.

You can do this online as well. Well I can, but if people paid more attention they'd see it as well.
    Simple changes in vocabulary and tone can show all sorts of things.
    Online: you only see her face and hear her talk. She comes up with a story that explains her behavior, and you may not believe her, but you say you do, so she doesn't get offended if she's telling the truth.
    Offline: you see her face, hear her talk, see her stance towards you, feel the suppressed flinches when you touch her, etc. Also, if you feel that something may be wrong, you can find out if she's cheating on you.

This still applies to a regular non-distance/online relationship.
    A guy finds he can get 'some' from girl B, so he dumps girl A.
    Again, the people involved change how the end will work out.
    But the percentage you get from a regular relationship is much higher (sex, dammit), and I'm usually satisfied with that. In fact, all the girls I dumped were dumped not because I was dissatisfied with them, but because they were too demanding. And yeah, I always dump before I start looking for someone new. If you don't let something happen, it just won't happen.
    Last edited by 3pleT; 10-19-2010 at 08:41 AM.

AF's Annoying Weeaboo Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner has a reputation beyond repute Yoko Littner's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2015 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NanoEdge EX

For me, no. Sorry, I'd live to be able to phsyically touch the girl I'm in love with, and online I can't do that. Relationships online can be real of course, but let's face it. How can you believe anything someone online saids?. Yes people lie in real life, but online you can't tell.
    Check out Anime Globe for the latest in anime reviews and anime news!

~Me, when my waifu confessed her love to me~

Straight Outta Motown! Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Paint Palette Mic Sunglasses
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-28-2014 03:35 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sleepy_Ninja313

I think it depends on the person. It can work for some and not work for others. You probably can find someone who has similar interests as you a lot easier than going to your local nightclub or bar. But like a regular relationship, it has a chance of failure.
    Man that is whack!

Token Black Guy

桜流し
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Hello Kitty Neko Tv Bonsai Tree
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2015 11:37 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aozorapen

It all sounds highly unrealistic. I mean, without meeting the person the whole time? It also depends on the relationship. Sure, there are people who start out by meeting online. But there can only be a certain proximity to be gained while forming a relationship online.

「そんな顔をしないで。また会えるよ、シンジ君」
    ---

もう二度と会えないなんて信じられない
    まだ何も伝えてない
    まだ何も伝えてない

I'm sorry (not) sorry.

Morphine. Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Paint Palette Gun Camera Dslr
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-04-2012 10:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

K, I responded to similar threads for like 4394824 times before. Guess it must be an important matter. Well here I go again.
    Is it worth it?
    No.
    Do they actually work?
    No.
    Are they real?
    No.

For more information, please contact us for support.
    No Mercy,
    No Remorse.

||Thank you MaruDashi for the great set!||

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Katana Ice Cream Pocky
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-29-2015 01:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As a father with two young daughters I'm finding this growing phenominon intriguing. It would be nice if I never have to mace some half dressed teenage guy at 1am, and generally not have to deal with all of that stuff.

And while you can catch a virus through MSM, I've yet to hear about one of those killing you. I've been to funerals because of loving real life relationships where one partner had made some unfortunate choices in the past.

I don't think people apprecaite how common date rape is. Or, even more popularly, just having a few too many drinks and making some bad choices.

Also I think online relationships aren't as strange as they once were in that now you can use Skype or something to actually see the person you're talking to. That means while a person could still lie about a lot of things, basics like gender and age have to be about right.

And if an online relationship doesn't work out you can just block the person, wheras with a relationship at school you still have to deal with them every day and probably have a bunch of mutual aquaintances. I'm sure most of you have seen something like that go toxic.

Morphine. Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Paint Palette Gun Camera Dslr
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-04-2012 10:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    As a father with two young daughters I'm finding this growing phenominon intriguing. It would be nice if I never have to mace some half dressed teenage guy at 1am, and generally not have to deal with all of that stuff.

And while you can catch a virus through MSM, I've yet to hear about one of those killing you. I've been to funerals because of loving real life relationships where one partner had made some unfortunate choices in the past.

I don't think people apprecaite how common date rape is. Or, even more popularly, just having a few too many drinks and making some bad choices.

Also I think online relationships aren't as strange as they once were in that now you can use Skype or something to actually see the person you're talking to. That means while a person could still lie about a lot of things, basics like gender and age have to be about right.

And if an online relationship doesn't work out you can just block the person, wheras with a relationship at school you still have to deal with them every day and probably have a bunch of mutual aquaintances. I'm sure most of you have seen something like that go toxic.
    How have you reached your age?
    No Mercy,
    No Remorse.

||Thank you MaruDashi for the great set!||

Empress of Ice Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix has a reputation beyond repute Genghis Beatrix's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Tiger Saturn Silence Glaive Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-24-2013 08:26 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: generallylame

I just wanted ya'll's opinion on the matter. As for me, personally, my views have changed drastically since my husband and I got together in person. Yes, we met on myspace, but became friends first. I was in a relationship at the time we met. we talked on the phone once my ex and I broke up and then decided to start a long distance relationship. The friendship part lasted 5 months. Long distance: 2 months. I took a chance and went halfway across the united states to be with him and it's been two years now and are blessed with our miracle baby. The thing with me is I see these girls (and I do mean girls: not mature enough to be women) go blindly into these things, thinking that after one meeting online they are together. They never talk on the phone. They never write an actual letter to them. They really don't know who this person is. It could be some 40 year old fat guy that can't get any satisfaction from anyone and looks to a teenager that is in love with the idea of them. I also see a bunch of people giving away information to others like it's candy. I thought one person was going to give out her ss# in a chatroom on a different site!

Is it worth it? I'd say, the greatest risk of all is not taking one. You never know until you try, BUT DON'T GIVE AWAY WHO YOU ARE, meaning information.

Are they real? Depends on if the person is honest or not. I realize that I got it good when my man turned out to be who he said he was gonna be. Just make sure that when you meet the person, do so in a place with a lot of people, and best bets is to go with someone you know personally that cares about you and never be alone with the person you are meeting.

Do they actually work? Again, depends on if the person is honest. You can never tell if a person is telling the truth from words on a screen.

EDIT: Do not trust me or anyone around you on this site unless you know who they actually are. And, no one knows me here now.
    Last edited by Genghis Beatrix; 10-21-2010 at 05:34 PM.
    There is no absolute right and wrong. People judge as right what they personally consider pleasant, and judge as wrong what they personally consider unpleasant. Convincing others of what is right cannot be equated with teaching the Truth. It is just teaching others to agree with you. It is not about putting an end to error, but putting an end to opinions contrary to your own perceptions.
    ~Lao Tzu

SOS Brigade Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Cheshire Cat Be Mine 312 - Minun
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-07-2014 06:15 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    That's the one thing I don't really like about real relationships. It's those complex situations that are a pain in the butt and that might be why some people decide to try online is because online is easier in some form for certain individuals and online, you can perceive yourself to be this amazing looking or great person. I tend to find online relationships difficult to keep up with and I find it harder when you don't have the necessary things to keep in touch them. (ie the money to pay for a high phone bill if there long distance and you don't have a computer)

Every great work of art has two faces, one toward its own time and one toward the future, toward eternity.
    Daniel Barenboim

Here is my family!:
    lilminx: My awesome big sister!
    *Tsuki*: Awesome lil sister!
    Teddy2116:Cool big bro!
    Hikaru_Hitachiin: Cool older Brother!
    kirei-chan: Awesomo big sister!
    Serpentarius: Brother in law!

Senior Member Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers's Avatar
    Gil
    Apprehensive
    Gifts Cake Wine Hot Dog With Ketchup
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2012 09:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

They're as real as you make them. At this point with technology the way it is its easy enough to videochat or whatever, to determine if the pictures you're getting are real. Ontop of that, its just as easy to cheat irl for most as it is long distance. the longest relationship I've ever been in (almost 6 years) became very serious, would visit each other, video chat, new alot of the same people, called and txted regularly, met each others familes, etc. It was/is very real for me.

But until recently I found out the entire time he was an internet predator. Used a forum we went to regularly for girls, meeting them, sex, dirty pictures, etc amongst many other sites. My over paranoid mother had the FBI investigate him before I was 18 and they never gave me any real asnwers that I can remember, merely asked me questions. But being the defiant age and person that I was, I needed proof which the would or could not provide me with, so I brushed it off.

Surprisingly it doesnt hurt I was just shocked by the information. Ontop of that I know he's been talking to (what I guess USED to be a dear friend of mine) for awhile now. And him being the manipulative and emotionally abusive person I already knew him to be already be, I fear for her.

Not saying that ALL online/long distance relationships are like this. All of the above can be done by someone you've known for awhile irl.

As far as being worth it, I've known acouple people who found their soulmates online and got married.
    Last edited by Ramona Flowers; 10-22-2010 at 02:00 AM.

Senior Member Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-24-2011 10:38 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

With an online relationship, it depends on how much you feel for that person.
    And if you feel that much for them, really, you would want to meet them anyway.

I guess an 'online' relationship can be a starting foundation for a long term commitment...

Junior Member Marin will become famous soon enough Marin's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-22-2010 03:31 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Anonipus

Quote Originally Posted by YokoKuwabara View Post
    To me, the 2 people need to see each other on a regular basis, go out with each other on a regular basis, and talk to each other on a regular basis. And taking your laptop out with you so you can talk to the person on your "date" doesn't count as going out with them. They can work for some people, but really, to me, since they're not real relationships, success at a fake relationship isn't much of an accomplishment. But that's just me.
    I don't think you have have any right to decide what relationship is real and what is not. You sort of have absolutely no right to judge how other people do it. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. You simply can't just try to demean someone else's relationship because it isn't done how you'd like it to be done. That's not only not logical, but it's also wrong.

I honestly don't see the controversy in this thread. Calling an online relationship fake is nothing but a childish insult and holds no more power than just that. Is it worth it? Depends on the person and the situation. Can they work? There are lasting online relationships so I'd have to say that's definitely a yes.

Gamer - Roleplayer - Socializer

Wanna play? Nowi has a reputation beyond repute Nowi has a reputation beyond repute Nowi has a reputation beyond repute Nowi has a reputation beyond repute Nowi has a reputation beyond repute Nowi has a reputation beyond repute Nowi has a reputation beyond repute Nowi has a reputation beyond repute Nowi has a reputation beyond repute Nowi has a reputation beyond repute Nowi has a reputation beyond repute Nowi's Avatar
    Gil
    Innocent
    Gifts PPG Bubbles PPG Blossom PPG Buttercup
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-12-2015 04:45 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: niggabytes

I met my boyfriend through internet, now we're super close and stuff.
    You can say what you want, but he's awesome, and no one could possibly replace him!

Quote Originally Posted by Animedude5555
    Who's the sexy green haired anime chick in your sig and avatar?

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ambu View Post
    I met my boyfriend through internet, now we're super close and stuff.
    You can say what you want, but he's awesome, and no one could possibly replace him!
    And exactly how far away from you does he live?

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-19-2015 09:55 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Well I may have met my future bf through the internet. We've been attending the same anime con and same convention forum without much notice of each other. It sucks because I clearly remember seeing them at a panel we both attended before really knowing each other but they can't remember me. But after being the only ones to really use the convention forum during it's off season we sorta got to talking and realized how much things we have in common. And we have been talking since. They live about 6 hours away but least we attend the same con every year. Plus I'm moving down to the general area in 8-9 months for college. So we'll be even closer. I may or may not end up dating them by then. Who knows we could remain friends for ever still xD But even then if I choose to date them it would still sorta be online because there would still be a 2 hour distance drive so a majority of us communicating would be via interwebs. But wouldn't go as far as calling it fake? o.O It's just my own way of doing stuff. Just like people who strictly stick to online communication and nothing else. That is their own way of doing it. Not my business.

[Click on the image above to visit an Etsy art shop run in part by myself and fellow art mod Serated]

今日...明日...永遠に...

Personal Tumblr | Deviant Art | Artsy Tumblr
    >>>View AF's First Banner Contest RESULTS<<<
    Thanks to those who participated & voted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information