AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Doc's signatures

AF's Resident Color Taster Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Chameleon Cookie Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-19-2016 02:14 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sr Machinehead PSN ID: Sr_machinehead Steam ID: DocMK

Default The Doc's signatures

well i thought i'd open a thread since i've been slowly widening my knowledge with photoshop. of course here is my latest sig. Of course i would accept pointers if anybody has them since i'm not exactly used to photoshop as of yet.

Set made by me
    "Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Stuck in Love's Capture Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara has a reputation beyond repute Kaname Shikara's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Hot Chocolate Flowers Fan2 Wolf
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-20-2015 06:38 AM
    In Between Darkness and Light, Engulfed in Fire and Ice
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Doc's signatures

I'm not experienced...I'm still working with Gimp. But a pointer I can give you is to try to blend more ^^ I don't notice much blending, it kinda looks like a render pasted onto a background. The theme is great though ^^

Amazing set by
    Ezza Obsuna ^^

The days fly by and the feelings remain
    So far away and causing us pain
    That's okay we'll make it through
    Soon we'll get to say "I love you"

Jose does not forgive! Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 08:27 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: PMMEFORTHIS

I'm start with photoshop again and leaving gimp behind.
    Well I think you should include some effects on your signature. It isn't bad, just rather plain. Run a filter or too. Mess with the blending modes, opacity, and uses some brushes. The typography seems to take up the most space I think you should make it smaller =]

AF's Resident Color Taster Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Here is my latest sig, i had a bit of trouble with yuki's color but i'll find a way around that eventually. of course suggestions on how to improve this are welcome. after all if not for suggestions it might not have looked this good.
    And here is another version where i tried to mess with yuki's color a bit and darkened the background.
    Last edited by Sr Machinehead; 11-01-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Set made by me
    "Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Senior Member Saxima has a reputation beyond repute Saxima has a reputation beyond repute Saxima has a reputation beyond repute Saxima has a reputation beyond repute Saxima has a reputation beyond repute Saxima has a reputation beyond repute Saxima has a reputation beyond repute Saxima has a reputation beyond repute Saxima has a reputation beyond repute Saxima has a reputation beyond repute Saxima has a reputation beyond repute Saxima's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2012 01:51 AM
    Most likely some where eating an orange or drinking Dr Pepper.
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Eh, it's not too bad, though I think you could have used darker, more warm colors for the background. You should also try blending the actual character better into the background.

Overall, it's pretty simple, but not to bad at all. (:
    you're horribly facinating.

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Name:  Yuki sig v4.png
Views: 160
Size:  101.4 KB
    This is a version of my last two signatures but i fixed the colors manually instead of just messing around with the different color and shading levels.
    and now with a better background and a few other touch-ups. of course suggestions and such are welcome and I'd just like to thank those who helped me improve this signature throughout it's many many stages.
    Last edited by Sr Machinehead; 11-02-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Set made by me

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Dr MaschinenKopf View Post
    http://www.animeforum.com/attachment...chmentid=34311 and now with a better background and a few other touch-ups. of course suggestions and such are welcome and I'd just like to thank those who helped me improve this signature throughout it's many many stages.
    Hmm... well your sig is by no means a bad job, but... as a person who's used Photoshop since 2000, it's kinda hard for me not to point out some things that aren't exactly doing it any favours.

Unfortunately, there are some technical issues with your sig that I'm going to have to bring up at the risk of sounding blunt... but I think it would an insult to otherwise patronise you, so here goes...

Firstly, it's looks as if you've upscaled the snowflakes (most likely with the Transform Tool), and it appears you've used Biocubic Interpolation scaling as well, which accounts for the colour-influenced sharpening effects of the elements themselves. I wouldn't recommend upscaling in general, because in most cases you'll just end up with a soft appearance where the enlarged pixels have simply been blended to appear less unattractive. However by using vector clipping paths, you can keep the egdes of your snowflakes crisp as you scale them to any size you wish.

Another problem with your sig is the lighting. The light of the moon is behind your character - yet he appears as if he's lit from the front, or rather the ambient lighting should be toned down a bit. This is one reason why your image is not blending as well as it could. However, as a quick fix, you could consider shifting the moon to the left side of the sig, so that its directional light appears to project on your character. Also, a lightsource as strong as the moon should be creating a flare strong enough to bleed into the egdes of your character.

Bringing the moon down toward your character would draw more attention to him and create a more focused image. But at the moment the moon is drawing attention away from him, since it's positioned in the far top-right corner.

To end things on a good note though, I will say a few things in favour of your sig: You have the right idea of layout overall, which is good because no amount of enhancement can improve bad composition... so well done there... and as Kirako pointed out, you have a good theme. The text is a good size (not too big or too small) and is readable without being too intrusive. Also your character is well positioned, and is a good size for the sig.

As you pointed out in your post, you're still learning to use Photoshop. So if there's something you specifically want to do with your sig... or other sigs in future then feel free to send me a VM or PM with your queries and I'll be happy to help.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 11-04-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

funny story about those snowflakes, they are actually some of the built in ones for the brush but up-scaled with an effect thrown on so i'll see if i can either extract some nice ones or make some by hand since everything other than the actual character and font were all made with the base photoshop. but thanks for the tips i'll see what i can do and i'll have a new version up sometime tomorrow. on a side note that giant scaling word frightens me. >_>
    Last edited by Sr Machinehead; 11-04-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Set made by me

Member iAnime has a reputation beyond repute iAnime has a reputation beyond repute iAnime has a reputation beyond repute iAnime has a reputation beyond repute iAnime has a reputation beyond repute iAnime has a reputation beyond repute iAnime has a reputation beyond repute iAnime has a reputation beyond repute iAnime has a reputation beyond repute iAnime has a reputation beyond repute iAnime has a reputation beyond repute iAnime's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2013 11:57 AM
    Threads

Personally since your sig is based on the render you may as well try to make the dude stand out more so than anything else in your sig. The background text probably isn't necessary in this case it looks tacky.

One of the best ways to learn Photoshop imo is to look at separate tutorials and learn the skills and then put them together to work =]. You could look through some tutorials here http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Photoshop/1

GL

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Name:  Yuki sig v12.png
Views: 123
Size:  92.3 KB
    Well i didn't have as much time on my hands as i thought i did so this version is a few days later than i planned but i shortened the width and tried to use the suggestions given to me and this is what i have, of course as with anything i do it still is and will always be a work in progress but it's on ice until i can think of any mistakes i made or any improvements i need to make.

Set made by me

Senior Member Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-06-2012 04:02 PM
    I live at my house. haha I know right hilarious?
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Your background could use more effects, it's a bit too simple, maybe even a more complex color scheme would be enough. The stock is of poor quality, I think you may be having trouble layering from photos. I recommend using extractions and then just worry about blending them. Serated has an AMAZING collection of extractions that are free to use, as long as you credit, it's worth looking into.
    The text isn't bad, a bit plain but it seems to fit with this particular sig.
    Also, the light source is a nice touch. <3
    Not bad overall <3

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2018 11:48 PM
    Threads

This is muuuuch better than the previous ones. The face doesn't look diseased now =D.

Like Wolley said, the background could use more effects. Maybe you could put in some sort of background scene or something...

Tru Fax: Princess Minako wrestled Jesus... and won

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I decided to take another whack at this but changed quite a few things so of course open to suggestions as usual.
    Name:  74556_168633953156871_100000308015058_421781_6866672_n.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  16.7 KB

Set made by me

Senior Member Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-06-2012 04:02 PM
    I live at my house. haha I know right hilarious?
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Definitely a huge improvement, she's blended way better.

Stock is still low quality though, and the background could use more effects, for example, a sky bg would fit because of the snow. Still, it's a huge step in the right direction!

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Name:  Yuki sig v14 Zero.png
Views: 96
Size:  95.0 KB

I made another attempt with the same stock as before but i made some patches and put a faded logo in the background. I'm thinking on making some smaller edits to the SOS emblem to see if i can make it match the theme a bit more but this is more or less a concept for now. suggestions are welcome and all that hooplah.

Set made by me

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Name:  Yuki sig v14 Andromeda.png
Views: 3139
Size:  95.9 KB
    Well i feel this project is near the end if not at it so i'll go ahead and upload it. I made adjustmeents to the sky color, improved the extraction, and added a new effect to the text. of course comments and suggestions are welcome and i'll be making an avatar for this set later today.

Set made by me

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I figured i'd make a new set for myself and this is what i've come up with, of course suggestions are welcome and it may be a bit bland but i found it a bit fitting for the character. The vector was made by myself which was one of the reasons for this pause along with some serious procrastination.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Yuki sig V6 avatar AF.png
Views:	4
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	37718Click image for larger version

Name:	Yuki sig V7.png
Views:	5
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	37717
    Last edited by Sr Machinehead; 01-30-2011 at 03:13 AM.

Set made by me

Senior Member Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna's Avatar
    Gil
    Shh
    Gifts Flowers Fan2 R2 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2015 06:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It's simplistic, and I like the message. I think orange would of been more fitting for the color of the border though.

From SkullMuffins on deviantart

Instagram|Tumblr

AF's resident Crazy Cat Lady Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf's Avatar
    Starving
    Gifts Mario Bowser Shell Mario Bob-omb Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2014 12:38 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CaptainEllipsis Steam ID: CaptainEllipsis Wii Code: 2388 1485 3012 2739

I like how she blends in with the background, almost like she's fading away. It fits the text perfectly, but I do think a different color border would've been nice. Also, I love your little signature at the bottom of it.

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Okay i redid my set and i made both an animated version of the sig and a normal version.
    Name:  Yuki sig V13 150x150 avi.png
Views: 37
Size:  21.8 KB

Name:  yuki-sig-animated.gif
Views: 38
Size:  164.7 KB

Name:  Yuki sig V13 frame 126.png
Views: 36
Size:  79.8 KB

Set made by me

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Name:  sig for stick figure.png
Views: 22
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  sig for stick figure avi.png
Views: 20
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  mikuru sig v6.png
Views: 21
Size:  97.4 KB

Here are some of my latest works, my timing has been improving though i didn't make the stock on the Mikuru one but i did extract the surfing one.

Set made by me

AF's resident Crazy Cat Lady Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf's Avatar
    Starving
    Gifts Mario Bowser Shell Mario Bob-omb Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2014 12:38 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CaptainEllipsis Steam ID: CaptainEllipsis Wii Code: 2388 1485 3012 2739

I like the last one, but the blue background doesn't feel right to me. I think maybe changing it to match her colors would work better. Nice job on the extraction too!

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

well, i decided to take a whack at sigmaking again this time using a tutorial. the tutorial is from ellipsis/hyphen/whatever he is going by now. I know it's not too good but i'm really looking for ways to improve considering i'm not used to using C4Ds.

Dante from Devil May Cry/Marvel Vs Capcom 3
    Last edited by Sr Machinehead; 06-10-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Set made by me

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information