AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Curse Words in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Novels

Junior Member GoldenEye is on a distinguished road GoldenEye's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-03-2010 12:44 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Curse Words in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Novels

have you ever read novel in which the author has made up various "curse words/foul language"? It annoyed me when i found it in one of the novels i picked up. Now i personally dont use foul language when i talk but if an author is going to have his characters curse they should just use the words that already exist(i think it is childish to do otherwise). What do you think of made up curse words? or what are some made up curse words you have seen in novels

example) oh futz! <-- isnt that just stupid?
    Last edited by GoldenEye; 10-03-2010 at 11:47 AM.

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2018 11:48 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Curse Words in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Novels

Firstly, please avoid cursing, a lot of things will get filtered with the stars but it's still preferable if you don't do it in the first place. Considering this topic of discussion, I'll be lenient to a certain degree.

Each book is written for a certain demographic and the publisher may put a restriction on the use of curse words. I agree though, it is annoying. I can't recall an incident where the author has made up their own but I have noticed a growing use of "damn".

Tru Fax: Princess Minako wrestled Jesus... and won

Member hougokyo has a spectacular aura about hougokyo has a spectacular aura about hougokyo's Avatar
    Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2011 04:14 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: scarback

Default Re: Curse Words in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Novels

I've read a few couple books where it's a made up curse word that's used but it's also like a different language. In one instance the younger character picked a dwarven curse his mother slipped out on accident. Personally I think that if someone is swearing in a book I think that it can really add to the book and I think it can add interesting character habits like if some characters only swear when they're angry and some characters swear because that's how they're use to talking. I don't find anything wrong with swearing around people your comfortable with, but in certain social situations I of course don't swear because I don't want to offend nobody

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information