AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: To Wed Or Not To Wed

  1. #1
    STN-J Witch Hunter Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena's Avatar
    Gil
    15,787.75
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-03-2012 10:17 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    STN-J H.Q.
    Threads
    116
    Posts
    737
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    196

    Default To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Right. It seems the American economy crisis just struck another aspect of that which we cherish as dear--the marriage industry, in matters of wedding and marriage expenses, e.g., the costs of tuxedos, wedding togs, flowers, churches, rewceptions, food, photo coverage, gifts and a home to live in as well as raising children, as such, the so many people unemployed, it seems many Americans, with marriage dreams in mind, have been turning the corner in effect, for fear of winding up more broke than before.

    Robin.
    320 years have passed since the coven sank into the dark

    I may have been born in The United States, but running through my veins is 70,000% UK blood.

    Here's something from my blog:
    http://www.animeforum.com/blog.php?1...y-Special-Blog

  2. #2
    Senior Member Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince's Avatar
    Gil
    31,910.70
    Gender
    My Mood
    Bookworm
    Gifts Favorite A Duck Naruto Headband
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2014 07:21 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North England.
    Age
    27
    Threads
    145
    Posts
    685
    Blog Entries
    41
    Rep Power
    1064

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    That all depends on your definition of 'wedding'..
    Fascinated by the rain, influenced by the wind. Adventure for fun.

  3. #3
    Senior Member TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami's Avatar
    Gil
    19,377.36
    Gender
    Gifts Eye Patch Clannad Botan Coke
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-18-2014 10:13 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    England, United Kingdom
    Age
    24
    Threads
    30
    Posts
    675
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    204
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: BishounenTao PSN ID: BishieShu XFIRE ID: snx21 Steam ID: BishieShu

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    If they truly love each other, it shouldn't matter whether they are married or not.
    Also coming from a expenses point of view, it would be wiser not too. However, it's all down to personal opinion.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince's Avatar
    Gil
    31,910.70
    Gender
    My Mood
    Bookworm
    Gifts Favorite A Duck Naruto Headband
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2014 07:21 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North England.
    Age
    27
    Threads
    145
    Posts
    685
    Blog Entries
    41
    Rep Power
    1064

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Again.. it depends on what you think a wedding consists of.
    Fascinated by the rain, influenced by the wind. Adventure for fun.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    522.49
    Gender
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2014 12:26 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Threads
    41
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    1692

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Anime-Prince has it right. If your idea of a wedding is the Disney Princess white gown, with giant bouquets of lilies and irises, blah blah blah, then yeah getting married is going to cost you a shiny penny. Fortunately some people can recognize this thing called reality, and will go with what they can afford. And if they really love each other and are really broke, then they can always just go to a courthouse or the like. I hear you can get married at a drive through in Vegas~


  6. #6
    Awaken Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1's Avatar
    Gil
    1,521,640.89
    Gender
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2011 09:49 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Age
    24
    Threads
    303
    Posts
    3,410
    Blog Entries
    123
    Rep Power
    5632

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Sena View Post
    and a home to live in as well as raising children,
    You're implying that everyone that gets married is planning on having kids.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomoyoSakagami View Post
    If they truly love each other, it shouldn't matter whether they are married or not.
    Also, this.



    Besides, if all you need is a legal agreement, you can obtain a marriage license just by having both of you going down to the court and applying for one for free*. Think of all the time and money you'll save.

    *Can't say for certain, but I believe it's free; OR if not, then very cheap.
    Last edited by Ericgamer1; 09-29-2010 at 04:23 PM.

    ^by Hakuchuumu^

    ^Xey Oiz^

    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

  7. #7
    Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    9,989.77
    Gender
    My Mood
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Threads
    53
    Posts
    936
    Blog Entries
    29
    Rep Power
    754

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Why would anyone get married, except for the tax breaks. Marriage is one of the worst things in society. I'd say that only mentally ill people would actually conse=ider going through with such a terrible thing, but thats an insult to the mentally disabled. To wed or not to wed? Not to wed. Not for the costs, but just because it's marriage.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince's Avatar
    Gil
    31,910.70
    Gender
    My Mood
    Bookworm
    Gifts Favorite A Duck Naruto Headband
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2014 07:21 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North England.
    Age
    27
    Threads
    145
    Posts
    685
    Blog Entries
    41
    Rep Power
    1064

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by YokoKuwabara View Post
    Why would anyone get married, except for the tax breaks. Marriage is one of the worst things in society. I'd say that only mentally ill people would actually conse=ider going through with such a terrible thing, but thats an insult to the mentally disabled. To wed or not to wed? Not to wed. Not for the costs, but just because it's marriage.
    You know, sometimes you say constructive things, and in small doses, you occasionally have points. Other times I believe you just post extreme opinions purely for effect. Most likely for this effect. You're not making any sense or displaying a valid explanation to back up your outlandish opinion.
    Fascinated by the rain, influenced by the wind. Adventure for fun.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    522.49
    Gender
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2014 12:26 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Threads
    41
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    1692

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by YokoKuwabara View Post
    Why would anyone get married, except for the tax breaks.
    Because they love each other and would like to be bound to one another for religious or personal reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by YokoKuwabara View Post
    Marriage is one of the worst things in society. I'd say that only mentally ill people would actually consider going through with such a terrible thing, but thats an insult to the mentally disabled.
    You really need to reevaluate what you consider the worst parts of society. Marriage is personal, just because you disagree with it doesn't mean that everyone that does is mentally disabled.

    Quote Originally Posted by YokoKuwabara View Post
    To wed or not to wed? Not to wed. Not for the costs, but just because it's marriage.
    Logical fallacy see circular reasoning. -Link-


  10. #10
    Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    9,989.77
    Gender
    My Mood
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Threads
    53
    Posts
    936
    Blog Entries
    29
    Rep Power
    754

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    You want me to back up my opinion. Fine. Biologically, humans are not inclined towards monogamy. We are meant to have more than one partner. Love doesn't last forever. Half of marriage ends in divorce anyway, leading to bitter feelings and lawsuits. If 2 people really loved each other, than they wouldn't need a piece of paper to tell them to be together. On the other side, people who only want to get married to get married and get gifts, well, thats clearly no reason to get married and it is clear that relationship won't last anyway. The religious excuse only works if you are really religious. Its not even religiously noticed unless it happens in a church. Also, love doesn't always last forever, so why would you want to tie yourself down to anyone. You give control of your life to someone else, which isn't smart. I'm sorry, but I'm the type of person who likes to have the final say over whether or not I get to do something. The idea of marriage is completely a societal thing. If people had never heard of the concept of marriage or even monogamy, most humans, specifically male, would chose to not be monogamous. My main problem with marriage is the lawsuits though. Its such a legal practice, and without a prenup, if it doesn't work out, then half your stuff goes to your ex. That does not seem like an enjoyable thing. Do I really feel like marriage is completely horrible and should never be practiced, of course not. People can do whatever they want. Why should I care what they do. I personally don't want to tie myself down legally to one person. The legal issues of it do not seem enjoyable. I also don't see a point in a big wedding, or even a wedding at all. Yes, I used hyperbole in my first post. It is not really the worst thing in society. I'm glad you (AnimePrince) have seen that I can have good points, even though I do not always chose to let them through. I feel like extreme contoversy adds more to a debate than agreeing with everyone else. My posts differ from seriousness to disagreebility depending on my mood.
    Last edited by brolyx74; 09-29-2010 at 06:00 PM.

  11. #11
    Awaken Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1's Avatar
    Gil
    1,521,640.89
    Gender
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2011 09:49 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Age
    24
    Threads
    303
    Posts
    3,410
    Blog Entries
    123
    Rep Power
    5632

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    I do not condone the angry rhetoric that @YokoKuwabara: is using, but I nonetheless agree with his underlining argument. So, allow me to state the same argument in a more.. appropriate fashion:


    The fact of the matter is, regardless of whether or not you think so, humans are Evolutionarily polygamous. There are many mammals in the animal kingdom that are monogamous, but humans aren't one of them. Our need to have a partner only lasts for as long as is needed to have, and raise a child; (typically about 4-5 years) and after that, interest will be sought elsewhere.

    The problem you see with divorce rates is exactly for that very reason; and, if noted, it usually occurs most often within the "4-5" year period of the partners being together. Society has set up a system through which monogamous relationships are rewarded (which, I'm assuming probably steamed from very early periods in man's history where staying together longer did have survival benefits). But that doesn't mean that our original design has changed.

    What, then, are we to make of this? My personal opinion, is that society it's self needs to change it's ideas on relationships in general to accompany the basic fact that humans are eternally polygamous (just as with so many other basic facts regarding human sexuality). That may sound like an appeal to naturewiki, but it is in fact logically sound on the grounds that we have set up a system that discourages what is natural for us- and therefore, is unhealthy.
    Last edited by Ericgamer1; 09-29-2010 at 05:20 PM.

    ^by Hakuchuumu^

    ^Xey Oiz^

    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers's Avatar
    Gil
    9,283.89
    Gender
    My Mood
    Apprehensive
    Gifts Cake Wine Hot Dog With Ketchup
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2012 08:29 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX
    Threads
    42
    Posts
    1,010
    Blog Entries
    107
    Rep Power
    3883

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Yeah I'm a lilttle amazed the money SOME people put into their weddings, some peole get lucky tho and have most of their family pay for it. I would be happy enough to get married in the grass, no shoes on, simple dress, and as far the groom does I wouldn't care.

    I had a cheap wedding at the courthouse, it was a mistake from the very beginning. lol

  13. #13
    Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    9,989.77
    Gender
    My Mood
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Threads
    53
    Posts
    936
    Blog Entries
    29
    Rep Power
    754

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    I do not condone the angry rhetoric that @YokoKuwabara: is using, but I nonetheless agree with his underlining argument. So, allow me to state the same argument in a more.. appropriate fashion:


    The fact of the matter is, regardless of whether or not you think so, humans are Evolutionarily polygamous. There are many mammals in the animal kingdom that are monogamous, but humans aren't one of them. Our need to have a partner only lasts for as long as is needed to have, and raise a child; (typically about 4-5 years) and after that, interest will be sought elsewhere.

    The problem you see with divorce rates is exactly for that very reason; and, if noted, it usually occurs most often within the "4-5" year period of the partners being together. Society has set up a system through which monogamous relationships are rewarded (which, I'm assuming probably steamed from very early periods in man's history where staying together longer did have survival benefits). But that doesn't mean that our original design has changed.

    What, then, are we to make of this? My personal opinion, is that society it's self needs to change it's ideas on relationships in general to accompany the basic fact that humans are eternally polygamous (just as with so many other basic facts regarding human sexuality). That may sound like an appeal to naturewiki, but it is in fact logically sound on the grounds that we have set up a system that discourages what is natural for us- and therefore, is unhealthy.
    Thank you for reiterating my point in a more elagant fashion. Much obliged.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince's Avatar
    Gil
    31,910.70
    Gender
    My Mood
    Bookworm
    Gifts Favorite A Duck Naruto Headband
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2014 07:21 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North England.
    Age
    27
    Threads
    145
    Posts
    685
    Blog Entries
    41
    Rep Power
    1064

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    'Humans are not meant to be monogamous'
    I find that statement amusing. Since when I ask you have humans ever been known for doing what they're meant to do? There's been so many advancements around humans doing what they weren't meant to do. Humans can choose. That's the beauty of free thinking.

    YokoKuwabara- you ask why two people who love each other need a piece of paper to prove they were together. What makes you think they do? Why can't they just 'want' a declaration. Why can't they just be happy enough to want to declare to the world, and to themselves that they're happy to be together, and they intend to stay that way. If that changes, then it changes, but that doesn't mean the feeling wasn't there. If making a statement through marriage makes them happy, why not let them without viewing it negatively.

    You also say marriage is giving control over your life to another person. What a cop out. It's not that at all. You still can make your own decisions when your married, it's just you chose to take the other person into consideration as well.

    Ericgamer1- You say humans are not monogamous, and our need to have a partner only lasts typically 4-5 years. Then you say 'after that, interest is sought elsewhere'. Not to be disrespectful, but it sounds like you've just dipped a massive brush into a tub of assumption, and then proceeded to paint the entire human race with it. They're many exceptions to this assumption. People can think for themselves, and a lot of the time, people are happy to stay with one partner.

    Since when did the idea behind declaring your love for another human being, become a debate amongst whether we actually want to, or whether or not it's right to?
    Last edited by Anime-Prince; 09-29-2010 at 05:45 PM.
    Fascinated by the rain, influenced by the wind. Adventure for fun.

  15. #15
    Awaken Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1's Avatar
    Gil
    1,521,640.89
    Gender
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2011 09:49 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Age
    24
    Threads
    303
    Posts
    3,410
    Blog Entries
    123
    Rep Power
    5632

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by Anime-Prince View Post
    'Humans are not meant to be monogamous'
    I never said "meant". That would imply opinion, whereas I am just stating fact.


    I find that statement amusing. Since when I ask you have humans ever been known for doing what they're meant to do? There's been so many advancements around humans doing what they weren't meant to do. Humans can choose. That's the beauty of free thinking.
    I agree. Free thinking is beautiful. My point was society should not pressure people through encouragement/discouragement of ideological beliefs to act or behave in a certain matter that pertains with persons own biology by using an institution.

    As an example: Homosexual marriage is not permitted due in part from the fact that societal attitudes have generally not been accepting towards homosexuality. This means, that marriage is a system that was set up to discourage homosexuality, along with many other things-> thus hindering freedom of choice through stigma.



    You say humans are not monogamous, and our need to have a partner only lasts typically 4-5 years. Then you say 'after that, interest is sought elsewhere'. Not to be disrespectful, but it sounds like you've just dipped a massive brush into a tub of assumption, and then proceeded to paint the entire human race with it. They're many exceptions to this assumption. People can think for themselves, and a lot of the time, people are happy to stay with one partner.
    It's not an assumption. And because it is a fact stating the human race in general, what is implied is that there is of course exceptions, it does not subtract from the overall truth.

    Since when did the idea behind declaring your love for another human being, become a debate amongst whether we actually want to, or whether or not it's right to?
    It's specifically about marriage as an institution, not love it's self. You're confusing the two.
    Last edited by Ericgamer1; 09-29-2010 at 06:03 PM.

    ^by Hakuchuumu^

    ^Xey Oiz^

    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

  16. #16
    Senior Member Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince has a reputation beyond repute Anime-Prince's Avatar
    Gil
    31,910.70
    Gender
    My Mood
    Bookworm
    Gifts Favorite A Duck Naruto Headband
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2014 07:21 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North England.
    Age
    27
    Threads
    145
    Posts
    685
    Blog Entries
    41
    Rep Power
    1064

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    I never said "meant". That would imply opinion, whereas I am just stating fact.
    I never said you did. It was YokoKuwabara who made that statement. :P

    It's not an assumption. And because it is a fact stating the human race in general, what is implied is that there is of course exceptions, but that does not subtract from the overall truth.
    Could it not be argued that the human race's habits evolve along with their thought patterns so fast that this might not be the case any more? And what kind of evidence are you basing this fact on in the first place?

    It's specifically about marriage as an institution, not love it's self. You're confusing the two
    Marriage is only an institution if you choose to look at it that way. It's all about perception. People should take into account how the two people getting married, view their union, instead of calling it an institution just because other members of society choose to look at it from the stance.
    Fascinated by the rain, influenced by the wind. Adventure for fun.

  17. #17
    Senior Member -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro-'s Avatar
    Gil
    122.26
    Gender
    Gifts Batmobile Animated Eggplant Gabumon
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2012 02:30 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    California
    Threads
    7
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    552

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    I guess it will depend on the person I'm with, since I don't prefer getting married over not. If I do it should be a small and cheap wedding. But marriage isn't for everyone.
    After more research it was determined that 2012 was the end of twinkies.


  18. #18
    Senior Member Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon has a reputation beyond repute Armageddon's Avatar
    Gil
    4,171.61
    Gender
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish Favorite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-24-2011 09:38 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Threads
    8
    Posts
    180
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    423

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Well.. My only opinion on Marriage is..
    Make sure it`s the person you truly want to spend a-- and don`t take this harshly-- majority of your life with.
    You don`t want to fork out a minimum if what.. let`s say. $20,000 for the whole celebration... To only end up in a divorce just a mere 18-24 months later.
    From personal experince, it`s not worth the expense including the solicitors fee's and time consumed by attending court hearings over the division of assets.
    So, don`t bother. Just elope.
    Last edited by Armageddon; 09-30-2010 at 12:24 AM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Mrmojorisin74 has a reputation beyond repute Mrmojorisin74 has a reputation beyond repute Mrmojorisin74 has a reputation beyond repute Mrmojorisin74 has a reputation beyond repute Mrmojorisin74 has a reputation beyond repute Mrmojorisin74 has a reputation beyond repute Mrmojorisin74 has a reputation beyond repute Mrmojorisin74 has a reputation beyond repute Mrmojorisin74 has a reputation beyond repute Mrmojorisin74 has a reputation beyond repute Mrmojorisin74 has a reputation beyond repute Mrmojorisin74's Avatar
    Gil
    3,314.23
    Gender
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-21-2010 02:23 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    With Stupid.
    Threads
    4
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    111

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Considering that most marriages today don't even last a year, why bother. Save your money instead of having some huge wedding.

  20. #20
    Yoko Littner Fan Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    57,051.94
    My Mood
    Where
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-29-2015 06:54 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    26
    Threads
    98
    Posts
    3,809
    Blog Entries
    34
    Rep Power
    2667

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Feminism killed marriage. At this point I would feel guilty condoning that anyone get married under the law; it's a suckers bet. In modern western culture, people in general don't have the attitude required to make it work.

  21. #21
    Senior Member DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    1,536.27
    Gender
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Gifts Trollface Beer Cookie
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2015 06:11 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    35°41'38.05" N 51°24'41.45" E
    Age
    30
    Threads
    136
    Posts
    4,111
    Rep Power
    800

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    I get quite the opposite here. Lots of my acquaintances have decided to get married. Two have been this year, and two more are due to next year. I can make a profit off this, as I'm their invitation designer and party decorator.... no homo.


  22. #22
    Senior Member Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda's Avatar
    Gil
    29,662.78
    Gender
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Gifts 172 - Pichu Flowers Fan2 175 - Togepi
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2011 06:08 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Age
    22
    Threads
    30
    Posts
    411
    Blog Entries
    68
    Rep Power
    232

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    I have been with my man 3 years.
    I have known him since forever.
    We r getting married next month.
    We will last till one of us dies.
    Trust me. . . If we can get through wat we have already been through together,,, we can get through anything...i'd rather not say wat has happened
    Music is my life
    Its the only thing that makes sense
    Its the air I breathe
    The very escence of my life
    The one thing I can trust
    The one thing that won't betray me
    Or turn its back on me
    I say again
    MUSIC IS MY LIFE

  23. #23
    Actually bigger than you. miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil's Avatar
    Gil
    1,814.98
    Gender
    My Mood
    sunshine
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Violin Cds
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2013 07:01 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Flying high in the sky.
    Threads
    78
    Posts
    2,428
    Blog Entries
    109
    Rep Power
    4039
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: miniPhil

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by McDoom, Dr. View Post
    I get quite the opposite here. Lots of my acquaintances have decided to get married. Two have been this year, and two more are due to next year. I can make a profit off this, as I'm their invitation designer and party decorator.... no homo.
    Basically this. I know for a fact that the number of babies being born has gone up since the downturn and would be willing to bet that marriages have also gone up. It isn't so much a question as why would people get married in the recession but rather why not in the boom. Back when things were fine and dandy people wanted to focus more on their careers instead of settling down. I would argue that people want something nice to hold on to these gloomy days and so have the nice wedding. But thats all speculation, I have no(nor can find) hard evidence to support this theory.
    This is a Sig. It's horribly out of date.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk's Avatar
    Gil
    777.93
    Gender
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Gifts Cookie Favorite Cookie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-01-2010 04:05 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NC.
    Age
    35
    Threads
    1
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    215

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    That is part of the reason why I am not married at the moment. One, I am poor. Two, I am too lazy to look for a girl that is wifey material.

    ...Come to think of it, I'm just too lazy to look for a girl.

  25. #25
    Senior Member DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    1,536.27
    Gender
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Gifts Trollface Beer Cookie
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2015 06:11 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    35°41'38.05" N 51°24'41.45" E
    Age
    30
    Threads
    136
    Posts
    4,111
    Rep Power
    800

    Default Re: To Wed Or Not To Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by miniPhil View Post
    Basically this. I know for a fact that the number of babies being born has gone up since the downturn and would be willing to bet that marriages have also gone up. It isn't so much a question as why would people get married in the recession but rather why not in the boom. Back when things were fine and dandy people wanted to focus more on their careers instead of settling down. I would argue that people want something nice to hold on to these gloomy days and so have the nice wedding. But thats all speculation, I have no(nor can find) hard evidence to support this theory.
    You don't need no controlled media research, it's pretty basic, people are, indeed feeling a little disconcerted by the current footing of things, and quite buzzed by the graet psychological apacaldypse that's supposed to come in two years, so they feel they should settle down, do the family man earlier while they still can, and not die alone, as many of us denizens of the interwebz do.
    I admit I've been feeling the same way lately, but I know I know better. Trol's before ho's!


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts