AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Since when did having an opinion become an insult?

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Default Re: Since when did having an opinion become an insult?

Quote Originally Posted by MaruDashi View Post
    Sure, I dont think its fair to cut out a whole group because you disagree with their life views [in this case, being homosexual], but its thats business's right to do so.
    No, it isn't. I kinda went over that. Again, I don't know where the hell people are getting this idea that businesses have the "right" to basically discriminate against people while using values as a front. I can't help but think that if this was a group of minorities getting refused service that this would be an ENTIRELY different thread.

I'll go over it again. Businesses do have a right to refuse service, however, they by no means have the "right" to refuse service to ANYONE. Civil rights acts (federal, state and local) still apply to them and businesses (the vast majority of which are classified as "public accommodations") can't discriminate against people. This law was made in 1964, so again, I don't know where you guys are getting this idea that businesses can discriminate against people.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    No, it isn't. I kinda went over that. Again, I don't know where the hell people are getting this idea that businesses have the "right" to basically discriminate against people while using values as a front. I can't help but think that if this was a group of minorities getting refused service that this would be an ENTIRELY different thread.

I'll go over it again. Businesses do have a right to refuse service, however, they by no means have the "right" to refuse service to ANYONE. Civil rights acts (federal, state and local) still apply to them and businesses (the vast majority of which are classified as "public accommodations") can't discriminate against people. This law was made in 1964, so again, I don't know where you guys are getting this idea that businesses can discriminate against people.
    In this case, yes they can.

Both federal and state laws prohibit businesses from denying public accommodation to citizens on the basis of race, color, religion or national original. The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."
    The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which precludes discrimination by businesses on the basis of disability.
    In addition to protections against discrimination provided under federal law, many states have passed their own Civil Rights Acts that provide broader protections than the Federal Civil Rights Act. For example, California's Unruh Civil Rights Act makes it illegal to discriminate against individuals based on unconventional dress or sexual preference.
    In the 1960's, the Unruh Civil Rights Act was interpreted to provide broad protection from arbitrary discrimination by business owners. Cases decided during that era held that business owners could not discriminate, for example, against hippies, police officers, homosexuals or Republicans, solely because of who they were.
    In cases in which the patron is not a member of a federally protected class, the question generally turns on whether the business's refusal of service was arbitrary, or whether the business had a specific interest in refusing service. For example, in a recent case, a California court decided that a motorcycle club had no discrimination claim against a sports bar that had denied members admission to the bar because they refused to remove their "colors" or patches, which signified club membership. The court held that the refusal of service was not based on the club members' unconventional dress, but was to protect a legitimate business in preventing fights between rival club members.
    On the other hand, a California court decided that a restaurant owner could not refuse to seat a gay couple in a semi-private booth where its policy was to only seat two people of the opposite sex in such booths. There was no legitimate business reason for the refusal of service, and so the discrimination was arbitrary and unlawful.
    In one more complicated case, a court held that a cemetery could exclude "punk rockers" from a private funeral service. A mother requested that the funeral service for her 17-year old daughter be private and that admission to the service be limited to family and invited guests only. The cemetery failed to exclude punk rockers from the service. The punk rockers arrived in unconventional dress, wearing makeup and sporting various hair colors. One was wearing a dress decorated with live rats. Others wore leather and chains, while others were twirling baton-like weapons, drinking and using cocaine. The punk rockers made rude comments to family members and were generally disruptive of the service.
    Ironically, the funeral business had attempted to rely on the Unruh Civil Rights Act, claiming that if they had denied access to the punk rockers, they would have been in violation of the Act. But the court held that the punk rockers' presence had deprived the deceased person's family of the services of the business establishment, which were meant to provide comfort to grieving family members. On that basis, the court stated that the funeral business could have legitimately denied access to the punk rockers.
    It's interesting to note that while it is unlawful to refuse service to certain classes of people, it is not unlawful to provide discounts on the basis of characteristics such as age. Business establishments can lawfully provide discounts to groups such as senior citizens, children, local residents or members of the clergy, in order to attract their business.
    Like many issues involving constitutional law, the law against discrimination in public accommodations is in a constant state of change. Some argue that anti-discrimination laws in matters of public accommodations create a conflict between the ideal of equality and individual rights. Does the guaranteed right to public access mean the business owner's private right to exclude is violated? For the most part, courts have decided that the constitutional interest in providing equal access to public accommodations far outweighs the individual liberties involved.

Businesses cant deny you service for race, color, religion, or national origin. In *some* states, they cant for sexual preference or for how you look/dress.

Now I didnt read the article, but unless it was in Calir or one of the other states where sexual preference is protected, then the business was in its right to refuse its services. If it *was*, then theres a good chance they were able to dance around the act like in the case of the funeral home.
    Last edited by Ωmega; 09-26-2010 at 01:12 PM.

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Ferrari Soccer Ball Favorite
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2012 10:37 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It's not like he wasn't serving them.
    He just wasn't making them a special order as I doubt rainbow cakes were on the menu to begin with. That isn't uncommon in some bakeries, even when the item isn't one the baker finds controversial.
    victoria aut mors

Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't really see it as discrimination against people. Discrimination against homosexuals would be if they refused to sell the cupcakes to them because they were gay. They refused to sell them the cupcakes because the cupcakes were gay. Last time I checked, it was fine to discriminate against cupcakes. They would have refused to sell the rainbow cupcakes to anybody, gay, straight, whatever, if it was for a gay rally or whatever. They weren't by any means discriminating against the people themselves, so you can't really go against them on the grounds that they were.

Member Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-21-2011 08:51 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Shifnotik PSN ID: Shifnotik

Quote Originally Posted by Capernicus View Post

To everyone who still thinks this wasn't discrimination:
    You obviously did not click on the wiki links. Opinion is just that, opinion. Discrimination is then taking that opinion and using it to justify some kind of action. In this case, refusing to make the rainbow sprinkle cupcakes. By its very DEFINITION, this is discrimination. There is no arguing that.
    You obviously don't get it do you?
    They weren't refusing service to the patrons because they were gay. They were refusing to fulfill the order because of what the cupcakes stood for. If those same gay patrons wanted a order of 400 chocolate chip cookies with smiley faces on them the order would have been fulfilled. Just as the others have said as well.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

In this case, yes they can.

Businesses cant deny you service for race, color, religion, or national origin. In *some* states, they cant for sexual preference or for how you look/dress.

Now I didnt read the article, but unless it was in Calir or one of the other states where sexual preference is protected, then the business was in its right to refuse its services. If it *was*, then theres a good chance they were able to dance around the act like in the case of the funeral home.
    This is unrelated, but what's funny is that I know precisely where you got that information from. I have read it before. Not questioning its validity; just stating I read it just hours ago.

Anyway, again, I already pointed out that there is a hole in the discrimination laws concerning homosexuals. Its the reason why the students acted the way that they did, so I am not arguing against the fact that businesses can discriminate against homosexuals without repercussion (unless they are in the 20 states and in D.C that have laws against it).

What I AM arguing against is the fact that some people, including YOU (so don't try backpedaling out of it now), said that businesses have the "right" to refuse service to anyone when they don't (and again, I don't know where people are getting that idea).

The Civil Rights Act makes discrimination illegal against those classes. It does NOT mean that a business still retains the "right" to discriminate against those not covered within the act or other acts made by the state. It ONLY means that no criminal action can be taken against them for the discrimination. Just because one can't discriminate against women or minorities doesn't mean they have the "right" to discriminate against homosexuals.

Also, I don't think I understood what you meant when you brought up the funeral home. In that case, the funeral home DID have the right to get rid of the punk rockers, but failed to exercise that right due in part to their interpretation of the Unruh Civil Rights Act. Nobody "danced" around the Act.
    This is my war face.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

What I AM arguing against is the fact that some people, including YOU (so don't try backpedaling out of it now), said that businesses have the "right" to refuse service to anyone when they don't (and again, I don't know where people are getting that idea).
    No, now youre twisting my words. I stated [feel free to go down to my first post]

I dont think its fair to cut out a whole group because you disagree with their life views [in this case, being homosexual], but its thats business's right to do so.
    By law, they have that right. I dont think its fair, but *by law* [since its doesnt fall under race, color, religion, or national origin] they have the right to refuse service for sexual preference and/or appearance.

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Its written because its controversial. Normally stories with even a hint of controversy will make the local news/newspapers/etc.

Cowboy Psychologist Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2013 12:07 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661 View Post
    Have a few more thousand post and a few more years added to your name and we'll talk.
    Way to qualify yourself as any sort of mature, reasonable debater. If anyone didn't facepalm after reading this, here's your second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Furore View Post
    It's not like he wasn't serving them.
    He just wasn't making them a special order as I doubt rainbow cakes were on the menu to begin with. That isn't uncommon in some bakeries, even when the item isn't one the baker finds controversial.
    This point is a pretty good one. Bakeries do this all the time when folks want to special order cakes and the like with questionable phrases or slogans on them, as do food/dessert shops who refuse to use molds of religious symbols. It is not discrimination to avoid participation; as Obsidion Judge said, there's a good chance that folks on the other side of the issue would've been denied service too. If it's not on the menu, is the baker required to make it? (Think of the implications that would have...)

Interesting follow-up question: would denying service to WBC members wanting "God Hates Fags" on cupcakes be religious discrimination? If so, does anyone have the right to refuse service to a person in one of those categories mentioned in discrimination laws, even if the reason for refusal is not because of that person's race, religion, etc.? (More implications...)

I don't usually like the slippery slope argument, but in this case, given the legislative and judicial history of our country, I wonder.

Bad Memory

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

To everyone still trying to say this is entirely about discrimination:

You're making the same inaccurate accusations the author of OP's article did. He did not, I say I say he did not refuse them service because they are gay. He refused them service because they wanted him to make a special order in support of a cause he does not agree with. Doing so would attach his bakery to the event and perhaps he didn't wish it. There really isn't anything wrong with that, and here is the part where a lot of us seem to agree except for maybe the OP who's a bit hypocritical in this, there is similarly nothing wrong with people reacting to this choice negatively by peacefully protesting/boycotting the establishment. If they were sending sprinkles they'd be in the wrong, just as if a group of people who disagreed with homosexuality would be wrong to send, say, Caps rainbow sprinkles in the mail en masse. That falls under harassment.

Speaking of, all the stuff Caps mentioned? Old lady was in the wrong, there was no need to come over to you guys and point out how particularly offended she was by watching you cuddle and make out in a dark movie theater or hold hands and such on the way in/out(She must have been watching you guys pretty intently, which I think says more about her than it does about you folks). Coworkers are wrong, as it isn't company policy to give warnings to same-sex couples for signs of affection in-store. The couple, provided they didn't spit on you or go on this big rant about how much they hate fags or something, were within their rights to say "No, we'll take the next one." You are also within your rights to be hurt by this, and attempt to change their opinion on homosexuals or just sit there with people that disagree with them and go "Man, what a-holes." Provided they didn't try to shove you off or demand you wait for the next one, they're entitled to their jackarse opinion and were I slated to be sharing an inner tube with them next, I would have waited for the next one because I don't want to spoil my experience by sharing the ride with bigots.

In summary, while you CAN infer his stance on homosexuality by this and react within reason, the act itself wasn't denying service to homosexuals, it was denying service to people who wanted him to fill an order that was specifically in support of a cause he doesn't agree with because he doesn't want to be attached to it. I personally think he's a d-bag for lumping support for homosexuality in with profanity, but he's entitled to it.

Unless, of course, in addition to the rainbow sprinkles they wanted something like "Fags Rule!" on the cupcakes as well, then the entire argument against him is way off base.
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

Again, I said the baker was within his rights to refuse service to whoever. The statements made by the baker seem to imply that he would be perfectly fine with supplying them, say, chocolate chip cookies, and I would really like to go to that establishment and see if that is true. I have my doubts. But anyway, I shall assume he would have been fine with that. In that case, I would say it is still discrimination, but that is debatable. Regardless, I hardly see how mailing him rainbow sprinkles is harassment. Perhaps if people were also sending vaguely threatening letters and/or causing a scene inside his bakery, sure. I would think he would be glad for the free sprinkles, unless he objects to receiving practical gifts from gay people.

Also Kuwabara, you never cease to amaze me. Gay cupcakes? You need to go read more books, kthxbai.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Also Kuwabara, you never cease to amaze me. Gay cupcakes? You need to go read more books, kthxbai.
    Somewhere there is a picture of cupcakes with vulva shaped frosting, after that "gay cupcakes" are easy to imagine.

Gil
    Wicked
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

No, now youre twisting my words. I stated [feel free to go down to my first post]
    I said that you (PLUS OTHERS) were saying that businesses have the right to refuse to service to anyone. You post only makes it seem that you are specifying that the case was about homosexuals rather than stating that homosexuals were the exceptions in the law (at least, not until your second post or so), so I lumped you with the others.

By law, they have that right. I dont think its fair, but *by law* [since its doesnt fall under race, color, religion, or national origin] they have the right to refuse service for sexual preference and/or appearance.
    You are not getting it. Just because the law made something illegal doesn't mean that you have the "right" to do something not covered by the law.

In this case, the Civil Rights Act made it illegal to discriminate against federally protected groups. Discriminating against people has never been a "right" granted to anybody, so the law simply made it illegal to discriminate against those groups; that doesn't mean that discrimination based on sexual preference is still a "right" that businesses have, since they never had the "right" to begin with. It only means that they are not breaking the law when they do.

One has natural rights, rights that they are entitled to, rights that are owed to them and legal rights, rights that are given to them. Just because something is not against the law doesn't make it a right. Its not illegal to walk around in a wolf costume but that doesn't that I have the right to walk around in a wolf costume.

The "right to refuse service" is really focusing on business' ability to throw out an unruly customer threatening patrons, those with poor hygiene, overcapacity, etc, things that affect the operation of the business and its patrons. A public accommodation, such as the bakery, can refuse service based on this but it really doesn't go beyond that (at least, not without a very specific moral reason).

The owner of Just Cookies never really states a specific reason as to why he refused to make the rainbow frosted cookies (which is why I was wondering why he didn't just come out and say it), only that his business was family-run, that he had two impressionable daughters (who are 17 and 20) and that "maybe it was best not to do that". When it came to "values", he only talked about business values, such as not making cookies with obscenities (as if rainbows and obscenities are on the same level).
    This is my war face.

Senior Member Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk has a reputation beyond repute Izzy Stizzlebonk's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Cookie Favorite Cookie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-01-2010 04:05 PM
    Threads

I love this thread 'cause the repeated mentioning of cupcakes and cookies. It was like this thread was begging me to post something it in. Normally, I wouldn't post in a serious thread like this, but I got a sweet tooth.

If I was le boulanger, I would have baked them. I would never turn down business. But I can understand why those folks didn't. If they weren't comfortable makin' them, the customers can't force them to make them, right? I guess in this case, the bakers really, really hold their values and beliefs close to heart. I think the overall question is why some people are like this?

And a final note: I will eat a rainbow frosted cupcake, but I much rather prefer a rainbow frosted cooooooooooookieeeeee.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90
    Its not illegal to walk around in a wolf costume but that doesn't that I have the right to walk around in a wolf costume.
    Just for clarification purposes, could you please describe to me with a phrase or statement of what this 'De facto non-right' would be?
    Last edited by Skylar1; 09-28-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten Show View Post
    Way to qualify yourself as any sort of mature, reasonable debater. If anyone didn't facepalm after reading this, here's your second chance.
    Well sorry if I don't appreciate someone completely new to this forum telling me I'm off-topic when I'm not and that I shouldn't post.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

@Capernicus: Would you consider it harassment if a group of people mailed you bags full of rainbow sprinkles unsolicited because they didn't agree with your homosexuality?

You are not getting it. Just because the law made something illegal doesn't mean that you have the "right" to do something not covered by the law.

In this case, the Civil Rights Act made it illegal to discriminate against federally protected groups. Discriminating against people has never been a "right" granted to anybody, so the law simply made it illegal to discriminate against those groups; that doesn't mean that discrimination based on sexual preference is still a "right" that businesses have, since they never had the "right" to begin with. It only means that they are not breaking the law when they do.

One has natural rights, rights that they are entitled to, rights that are owed to them and legal rights, rights that are given to them. Just because something is not against the law doesn't make it a right. Its not illegal to walk around in a wolf costume but that doesn't that I have the right to walk around in a wolf costume.

The "right to refuse service" is really focusing on business' ability to throw out an unruly customer threatening patrons, those with poor hygiene, overcapacity, etc, things that affect the operation of the business and its patrons. A public accommodation, such as the bakery, can refuse service based on this but it really doesn't go beyond that (at least, not without a very specific moral reason).

The owner of Just Cookies never really states a specific reason as to why he refused to make the rainbow frosted cookies (which is why I was wondering why he didn't just come out and say it), only that his business was family-run, that he had two impressionable daughters (who are 17 and 20) and that "maybe it was best not to do that". When it came to "values", he only talked about business values, such as not making cookies with obscenities (as if rainbows and obscenities are on the same level).
    1) You are still acting on the assumption that he refused them specifically because they are gay and not because they were asking him to make something in support of gay rights. As several people have said in one way or another in this thread already, a refusal to participate does not equal discrimination. DOES he disapprove of homosexuality? Probably. Do you have to like him or patronize his establishment? Nope. The problem is that by telling him he HAS to provide a product in support of a cause he doesn't support, you are doing the same exact thing as someone who approaches a gay couple and tells them about how horrible they are and how they shouldn't do that sort of thing in public. This makes you a hypocrite, which I guess is fine if you're okay with it.

2) I don't see how you don't have the right to wear a wolf costume. I think that'd fall under the personal liberty portion of "unalienable rights." Now if you requested a baker custom-make pro-yiff cookies and they refused, you wouldn't have the right to demand their acquiescence. I still fail to see how him saying "No I won't get involved with this special request" is the same as "get out of my store, faggot."
    Last edited by Sanosuke23; 09-28-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke⅔ View Post
    @[URL=http://www.animeforum.com/member.php?u=29944]
    1) You are still acting on the assumption that he refused them specifically because they are gay and not because they were asking him to make something in support of gay rights. As several people have said in one way or another in this thread already, a refusal to participate does not equal discrimination. DOES he disapprove of homosexuality? Probably. Do you have to like him or patronize his establishment? Nope. The problem is that by telling him he HAS to provide a product in support of a cause he doesn't support, you are doing the same exact thing as someone who approaches a gay couple and tells them about how horrible they are and how they shouldn't do that sort of thing in public. This makes you a hypocrite, which I guess is fine if you're okay with it.

2) I don't see how you don't have the right to wear a wolf costume. I think that'd fall under the personal liberty portion of "unalienable rights." Now if you requested a baker custom-make pro-yiff cookies and they refused, you wouldn't have the right to demand their acquiescence. I still fail to see how him saying "No I won't get involved with this special request" is the same as "get out of my store, faggot."
    ^^
    this

Damn you Sano and your eloquent way with words.

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I said that you (PLUS OTHERS) were saying that businesses have the right to refuse to service to anyone. You post only makes it seem that you are specifying that the case was about homosexuals rather than stating that homosexuals were the exceptions in the law (at least, not until your second post or so), so I lumped you with the others.

Wait? Since when it was wrong to refuse service in a business? Like the member Saunosuke said, and in fact many others...it was more of a "I don't want to be partake of (insert event here)" than a "I don't do service to your kind, **** off". So really, how is the former wrong? And like they also said above, they refused to make that special order not refused to provide service to the customer overall. So tell me, how is this discrimination again?

I don't know what you're trying yo say here but I'll respond from the conclusions I got;

I do have the right to wear a "wolf costume". I don't see what could be wrong with that, will I look like an clown? Perhaps, but I am within my right to wear it, and it doesn't affect anybody.

I do have the right to wear that wolf costume. It might hurt others, but I still have my right, even if it's wrong. I believe it's called right to free speech? If I see a white dude with a shirt saying "Spanish speakers, go back to Mexico!" All I'll say is "Racist bastard" and just move on, there's nothing I can do about it...even if it's wrong, he still has every right to do so.

Oh and my example is also would show how ignorant the person would be. =3

Quote Originally Posted by YokoKuwabara View Post
    I don't really see it as discrimination against people. Discrimination against homosexuals would be if they refused to sell the cupcakes to them because they were gay. They refused to sell them the cupcakes because the cupcakes were gay. Last time I checked, it was fine to discriminate against cupcakes. They would have refused to sell the rainbow cupcakes to anybody, gay, straight, whatever, if it was for a gay rally or whatever. They weren't by any means discriminating against the people themselves, so you can't really go against them on the grounds that they were.
    I don't really see it as discrimination against people. Discrimination against homosexuals would be if they refused to sell the cupcakes to them because they were gay. They refused to sell them the cupcakes because the cupcakes were gay.
    because the cupcakes were gay.
    cupcakes gay.
    Are you serious? You're a good kid and all but you say some stupid stuff, man. Really stupid.
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 09-28-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Looks like someone has temper problems. People misquote people these days, like the Beatles back then.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It seems this thread in now about discrimination and what qualifies as such...

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Quote Originally Posted by ѺϦᵴιᶑιѧϗ ʆʋᶑᶃԑ View Post
    I agree. It should be closed as soon as possible.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Cowboy Psychologist Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2013 12:07 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661 View Post
    Well sorry if I don't appreciate someone completely new to this forum telling me I'm off-topic when I'm not and that I shouldn't post.
    It doesn't strike you as interesting that someone who is not an admin or site owner (like you) is telling someone else how to behave in their sandbox... by referencing post count as a measure of qualification, no less?

Heh.

I disagree that this topic should be closed because it begs the question of what qualifies as discrimination. The whole topic hinges on this clarification.

Bad Memory
    Last edited by Forgotten Show; 09-28-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Senior Member TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami has a reputation beyond repute TomoyoSakagami's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-18-2014 10:13 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BishounenTao PSN ID: BishieShu XFIRE ID: snx21 Steam ID: BishieShu

Quote Originally Posted by ѺϦᵴιᶑιѧϗ ʆʋᶑᶃԑ View Post
    This. I wonder why this thread still isn't locked. Oh and

/inb4lock

Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Oh great and powerful Eris. Give us a sign as to guide us on our lofty quest of knowledge.

I disagree that this topic should be closed because it begs the question of what qualifies as discrimination.
    Discrimination - unfair treatment of one person or group, usually because of prejudice about race, ethnicity, age, religion, or gender.
    dead thread, LET DIE!
    Last edited by Anoleis; 09-29-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information