AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Since when did having an opinion become an insult?

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Arrow Since when did having an opinion become an insult?

According to the man who owns the bakery, rainbow cupcakes and cookies celebrating LGBT pride violate the values of the bakery.
    Link to rest of story~

Just to be clear this isn't a Gay Rights thread.

I'm having a hard time understanding why when people disagree on something, they simply can't be mature about it and move along in their lives. Today people are so drawn to the things they deplore that it's a wonder we don't have laws governing the types of socks we wear.

Now the relevance the story has. Some students wanted to buy Cupcakes, for some holiday celebrated by the homosexual community, from a bakery; the bakery refuse on the premise that the celebration of homosexuality was against their values; the student left and found a different bakery to get there cupcakes from.

One question: why was this story written? I know that the students might have been a little miffed from not being able to buy cupcakes, but they got their cupcakes in the end, and the bakery lost some business, seems like a fair trade to me. Of course now there is a petition going around to have equal service in the area from businesses.

All of a sudden making cookies and cupcakes for a gay student group is against family values? So much for customer service
    It's this statement that particularly creams my corn. It is a business, and has the right to refuse service to anybody. It wasn't like they were doing it because they were homosexual, but because they didn't want to become involved in something they didn't support. Then all of a sudden they become mean and horrible people because of there values and beliefs? Seems a little spiteful imho.

I'm willing to bet that if the students came back and wanted a batch of chocolate chip cookies, the bakery would be perfectly happy to help them, not mentioning the fact that the bakery is probably going to go out of business...

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Default Re: Since when did having an opinion become an insult?

Well the bakery wasn't wrong for not taking part in something they do not believe in. For example.... Vegetarians.. They don't eat meat because they do not agree with how the industry slaughters and treats the animals so therefor they don't take part in eating the meat. Sure them not eating it isn't going to affect how things are done but to them the personal value of not taking part in it is greater than the personal value of eating meat. Though the bakery could've gone ahead and completed the order even though they did not support it but apparently their values against gays were greater than profit. I'm sure they did not expect this outcome when they made this choice but it just shows that if they complain about it then maybe they need to edit their values.

If you take economics you'll understand this better. Every choice has a cost and a benefit. This choice has a cost of potentiality going out of business but a benefit if still keeping true to family values is greater :/
    Last edited by blueangel06661; 09-24-2010 at 07:32 PM.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm sure they did not expect this outcome when they made this choice but it just shows that if they complain about it then maybe they need to edit their values.
    Why should someone change their beliefs because someone else is offended by them? It isn't like they go and picket with the WBC. All they did was not want to support something.

If you take economics you'll understand this better. Every choice has a cost and a benefit. This choice has a cost of potentiality going out of business but a benefit if still keeping true to family values is greater :/
    I wasn't talking about the economical side of this, and I have taken economics(most boring class EVAR) I'm talking about why many people seem to have the "Stop liking what I don't like" and vise versa mentality.

みんなで歌おうよ!
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-14-2013 06:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Yeah, I agree with OP in the general sense.

I've always disliked how the "right-seeking" groups (most notably feminists, homosexuals, African Americans -- not all of them of course) have this fantastic combination of being overly emotional and sensitive coupled with group thinkwiki and group polarizationwiki, and an overall lack of rational thought. Toss in the media attention and you get something really ugly.

In this particular case, I don't think what the bakery did was a rational thing, but it happened. Big deal. Let's go find another bakery and laugh at how this bakery lost its business, THE END. It wasn't like the bakery was advocating hate towards the homosexuals. They just didn't want to support something that is against their "values" (whatever that is supposed to mean) -- being butthurt about it will not make them change those "values". And it will not yield anything to the homosexual community...

... perhaps except for creating some noise and getting some media attention like they always do. Oh, wait -

EDIT: I pull that back. Since it turned out to be a discrimination case, it's their right. My apologies to the offended party. I don't have the slightest idea about the law in the US.
    Last edited by Aku no Hikari; 09-26-2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: My point no longer stands.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

I dunno, I would be pretty pissed if a restaurant didn't let an interracial couple dine at their business, but would be happy to if they wanted to dine with dates of their own race.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capernicus View Post
    I dunno, I would be pretty pissed if a restaurant didn't let an interracial couple dine at their business, but would be happy to if they wanted to dine with dates of their own race.
    This still does happen in the deep south, it's rather sad.

But the all the bakery did was deny them rainbow frosting cupcakes.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Is the company's loss, so I don't see the reason for all the commotion. O-o

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Clearly, you are confusing opinionwiki and discriminationwiki. Having an opinion, for example homosexuality is a sin, is just fine, but when you allow that opinion to influence your actions, for example refusing them rainbow cupcakes, that is discrimination.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about your apparent distaste for the article, which is, you know, to be expected. It would be silly to think otherwise. It came from gayrights.org, not CNN. It is NOT big news, there are no masses of people outraged by this. You are blowing this out of proportion.

OP, you either have serious sexuality issues or are just trolling me.
    Last edited by Capernicus; 09-25-2010 at 02:46 AM.

boopaloop! 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2011 12:53 PM
    Threads

Clearly, you are confusing opinionwiki and discriminationwiki. Having an opinion, for example homosexuality is a sin, is just fine, but when you allow that opinion to influence your actions, for example refusing them rainbow cupcakes, that is discrimination.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about your apparent distaste for the article, which is, you know, to be expected. It would be silly to think otherwise. It came from gayrights.org, not CNN. It is NOT big news, there are no masses of people outraged by this. You are blowing this out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by ѺϦᵴιᶑιѧϗ ʆʋᶑᶃԑ View Post
    Just to be clear this isn't a Gay Rights thread.
    It's more about the whole right-seeking group thing akuNoHikari mentioned. And yeah, I agree with him.
    Last edited by 3pleT; 09-25-2010 at 04:25 AM.

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Why should someone change their beliefs because someone else is offended by them? It isn't like they go and picket with the WBC. All they did was not want to support something.
    When did I say they should change their beliefs. I just say they needed to re-order their VALUES not BELIEFS. There is a difference between values and beliefs. They can believe in not supporting gays all they want. But if they want to not lose business and make profit then they just should've gone ahead and take the orders. So if THEY complain about their own choice due to business loss then their values were not straight and in the end care more about profit than not supporting gays which was the other way around at first until the decision was made.

I wasn't talking about the economical side of this, and I have taken economics(most boring class EVAR) I'm talking about why many people seem to have the "Stop liking what I don't like" and vise versa mentality.
    Okay.. If you are talking about a business and the choice they made about something. You are talking about economics like it or not. It may not be the class version of economics but without a doubt you are thinking economically. Maybe if you paid attention in economics you would've learned this.

FYI: Even debating with yourself about staying up late is thinking economically.
    Last edited by blueangel06661; 09-25-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Spelling :[

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Dango News

CircleJerk Elitist MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Pizza Cake Bleach Kon
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-06-2014 03:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: MissAstaire

While it may not have been the best decision, it was still their decision. I haven't read the article, and I don't plan on it, but I'm guessing that the bakery is privately owned? They have the right to refuse service to anyone of their choosing.

But whoever did say that were the people to come back just wanting chocolate cookies or something else that wasn't rainbow cupcakes, the bakery probably would have made them, is most likely right.

I'm not seeing this as discrimination. The way that I see it is the bakery doesn't agree with gay rights and they didn't want to support this parade or whatever it was in any way. Yes, they lost business. They know that. But it shouldn't have been made into a fuss. It was a small ordeal that was better off not having a silly article written by some butthurt people who still, in the end, got their silly little cupcakes.

But thanks to this, I now want cupcakes. So excuse me.

Tomorrow's a new day.

The Savage. -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-25-2012 04:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

"I dissaprove of what you say but i will defend to the death your right to say it"- Voiltaire.

talk about overeacting, imagine what it would've happened if they had put a sign in the window saying "chocolate chip cookies for sale". it would be the end of life as we know it. Just because they decided not to be associated with a festival 99% of us have never heard of dousn't mean that they disagree with it. it woul be like christians getting pissed off that a shop dousn't have a sign in the widow saying Jeeses Saves. it just reflects badly on the press that this actually made the news. I blame the press, kinda like that pastor who wanted to burn the Qu'rans, if the press just ignored the little prick then nobody would've got worked up about it.

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    Threads

Aaah, you kids are starting to grow up and reason already. Except for you, Caps, no dessert for you tonight!

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

みんなで歌おうよ!
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-14-2013 06:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by McDoom, Dr. View Post
    Aaah, you kids are starting to grow up and reason already. Except for you, Caps, no dessert for you tonight!
    Thanks, grampa. Don't forget to take your pills and change your diaper before you go to sleep. And remember, do NOT swear at (or try to kill) the mail guy. For the millionth time (and I hope you remember it this time, but seems it's hopeless), he is NOT a Russian spy trying to steal "confidential data" out of our mailbox.

Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

So if THEY complain about their own choice due to business loss then their values were not straight and in the end care more about profit than not supporting gays which was the other way around at first until the decision was made.
    They aren't complaining, they're sticking to their values. Everyone else is going bat-crap-crazy over it.

Okay.. If you are talking about a business and the choice they made about something. You are talking about economics like it or not. It may not be the class version of economics but without a doubt you are thinking economically. Maybe if you paid attention in economics you would've learned this.
    Again this isn't about how the choices made relate to economics. This is about why some people get so worked up or such a small thing.

FYI: Even debating with yourself about staying up late is thinking economically.
    I read the economics book, thinking withing the margarine and all that jazz.

BTW: If all you're going to do is argue how everything is related to economics, and completely ignore the real point of the thread, just don't post.

By that line of thinking anytime I buy from Bashas' instead of Frys I'm discriminating against the Unions. The bakery was perfectly fine with the students being homosexual, what they didn't want to do was make cupcakes with rainbow frosting. NOT because the students were gay, but because they didn't agree with the purpose of said cupcakes. If the WBC had walked in wanting cupcakes with "God hates Fags" in the frosting, I'm sure the bakery would have told them no as well( or told them something far more insulting knowing Indianapolis)

To be honest, I'm more concerned about your apparent distaste for the article, which is, you know, to be expected. It would be silly to think otherwise.
    This doesn't make any sense.

It came from gayrights.org, not CNN. It is NOT big news, there are no masses of people outraged by this. You are blowing this out of proportion.
    "I explained we're a family-run business, we have two young, impressionable daughters and we thought maybe it was best not to do that," said co-owner David Stockton to a local Fox television station
    Everything starts at the local level.
    Besides the point of the article isn't because it's such a big story. If I wanted a big story I would have gotten one of the hundreds of articles about how some poor dude insulted another dude, and the other dude was a minority, so it was a hate crime, or other such nonsense.

Actually its OJ for Obsidian Judge, this isn't 4chan.
    And you know Caps, not everything is about you. The entire world is allowed to have its own opinions and beliefs; you can disagree with them all you like, it isn't going to change them.
    Cheers~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1284249298884.jpg‎
Views:	90
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	32554  
    Last edited by Anoleis; 02-06-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Gil
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

They aren't complaining, they're sticking to their values. Everyone else is going bat-crap-crazy over it.
    Well heres my quote. I do not know if they are complaining or not. I'll put it in big letters for you

Quote Originally Posted by Blueangel06661
    So if THEY complain about their own choice due to business loss then their values were not straight and in the end care more about profit than not supporting gays which was the other way around at first until the decision was made.
    So I said if. But since they are not who cares? No big deal for them then they can do what they want. And the group got their cupcakes so whatever. Discrimination happens and I'm sure they know that by now. After that it's just the public. And the public is somewhat stupid.

Again this isn't about how the choices made relate to economics. This is about why some people get so worked up or such a small thing.

I read the economics book, thinking withing the margarine and all that jazz.

BTW: If all you're going to do is argue how everything is related to economics, and completely ignore the real point of the thread, just don't post.
    Excuse me sir but you are not of standards to tell me if or if not I should post in a thread. Have a few more thousand post and a few more years added to your name and we'll talk. At least I'm being smart and reasonable and not complaining about "Thats stupid they didn't have to tun away those people" or blah blah blah. It simply does not matter what I talk about because no matter what I'm ON TOPIC! [except now] Just because I don't think about it the same way you do doesn't mean I can't post. I'm saying the same things nearly everyone else is except more logically. Big whoop.

In the end most opinions are insulting like it or not... It's just an opinion. But if the other party took it more serious approach to it they are just putting in their opposing opinion to the first opinion.. And you can't be insulted by my post because it's just an opinion so therefor not insulting one bit since opinions are never insulting to you apparently otherwise you wouldn't have asked when they became insults. :]

-----oh btw.. if this thread is about why people get worked up over such a matter... we already have one here http://www.animeforum.com/showthread...persensitivity

....Just a different starter story.. I'm jus' sayin'....
    Last edited by blueangel06661; 09-25-2010 at 02:51 PM.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Dango News

Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661 View Post
    Excuse me sir but you are not of standards to tell me if or if not I should post in a thread. Have a few more thousand post and a few more years added to your name and we'll talk. At least I'm being smart and reasonable and not complaining about "Thats stupid they didn't have to tun away those people" or blah blah blah. It simply does not matter what I talk about because no matter what I'm ON TOPIC! [except now] Just because I don't think about it the same way you do doesn't mean I can't post. I'm saying the same things nearly everyone else is except more logically. Big whoop.
    I meant that we are looking at the social, and or psychological, aspect of this, not the economical. And since when does having more posts on an internet forum make someone an expert on anything?
    btw: we are the same age.

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661 View Post
    In the end most opinions are insulting like it or not... It's just an opinion. But if the other party took it more serious approach to it they are just putting in their opposing opinion to the first opinion.. And you can't be insulted by my post because it's just an opinion so therefor not insulting one bit since opinions are never insulting to you apparently otherwise you wouldn't have asked when they became insults. :]
    I'm not insulted by your opinion, because it holds no value to me. I'm confuse on why the general populace deems it fit to try and bulldoze those who have different opinions.
    Last edited by Anoleis; 09-25-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Member Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik has a reputation beyond repute Hypnotik's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-21-2011 08:51 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Shifnotik PSN ID: Shifnotik

First what the bakery did was not discrimination. All businesses have the right to refuse service to ANYONE, and if serving these cupcakes for a gay holiday that may conflict with their religion or beliefs then they have all the say in the world to do so. Though I think using the excuse that it might influence their daughters negatively is a cop out.

Also to answer the question on why this article was written exactly coincides with the second part of your post. It wasn't posted on CNN or Fox news or any other major media outlet but i'm sure that it was the intent. How could you say otherwise? To grab national attention and show how "badly" gays are being treated. To entice the masses into a outrage. That's the only reason a article like this would be written, and if it keeps getting more attention like it is now then it'll do just that and eventually cause the company to go into the red and it might even have to close down because of the people boycotting this bakery all because they are over reacting to this minor situation. It's not the OP that is blowing this out of proportion but the gay community that is supporting this article.

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

What's probably the most ironic part of this thread? The fact that it's an Op Ed piece and is therefore the opinion of the article's author.

I think the article misinterprets the baker's stance on making these cupcakes, though. It's kind of hypocritical to say to someone "You are entitled to think our lifestyle is distasteful, but you are not allowed to express this in any way without being attacked." He didn't refuse service to them because they were gay, he refused service because they were requesting him to make pastries decorated to support a lifestyle he disagrees with. It's his store, privately owned, and he's entitled to that.

At the same time, the writer of the editorial has a right to say "Well gay people shouldn't go here anymore, as he has revealed that he thinks poorly of us." People are also entitled to attempt to change his opinion.

As for the whole "You shouldn't be offended by someone's opinion," what if someone's opinion is that all black people are little more than clothed apes who learned human speak and deserve to be put in zoos? It's still an opinion, but it's an offensive one. I'm sorry if you can't grasp the concept of disliking someone's stance on a subject. If anything, you should only be offended by opinions and actions; fact is fact and there's not much that can be done about that.
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As for the whole "You shouldn't be offended by someone's opinion," what if someone's opinion is that all black people are little more than clothed apes who learned human speak and deserve to be put in zoos? It's still an opinion, but it's an offensive one.
    The best part about those who have such radical opinions and or views on life, is that they are generally recluses. Very few of them go out into the open and spew their hatred. Those that do are at their own fault for idealistically thinking they could have an effect on others. I don't judge others for their opinions, now the actions based on them are open game( depending on the action).

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

I'm having a hard time understanding why when people disagree on something, they simply can't be mature about it and move along in their lives.
    Let me get this straight. You are having a hard time understanding why when people disagree with something, they can't just let it go and move along like a mature person instead of dragging things out. So, in order to state your opinion (and your "maturity") on this matter, you decided to make a thread about this issue and drag this out instead of moving along like a mature person.

You got so butthurt about those guys getting butthurt that you decided to make a thread about those guys getting butthurt. Amazing how the world works!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotik View Post
    First what the bakery did was not discrimination. All businesses have the right to refuse service to ANYONE, and if serving these cupcakes for a gay holiday that may conflict with their religion or beliefs then they have all the say in the world to do so. Though I think using the excuse that it might influence their daughters negatively is a cop out.
    Pardon me, but where are you (and some other people) getting this convoluted idea that businesses can refuse service to ANYBODY? They can't and here's why.

First of all, what the bakery did WAS discrimination. Refusing service to a group of people based on ONE category while giving service to others is called DISCRIMINATION (please look it up). Hell, even if businesses were allowed free reign to refuse service to anyone they saw fit (and they aren't), this exclusion based on category would still be discrimination.

Second, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 essentially made it illegal for a business (or anything that is a "public accommodation", something that serves the general public) to discriminate based on race, color, sex, religion, gender and national origin (other federal acts have expanded this to other areas such as disability). So a business can't discriminate against people based on that; if they could, that would kinda defeat the purpose of making such acts in the first place (which is why I don't know where people are getting this idea that businesses can refuse service to ANYONE). However, there is no federal protection for homosexuals (twenty states and D.C have laws for that, though), which is why the group, after being refused service, decided to blow the issue up to draw attention to the bakery (not that I really approve of dragging the business down because of this).
    Last edited by wolfgirl90; 09-26-2010 at 12:06 AM.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Gil
    Gay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

By that line of thinking anytime I buy from Bashas' instead of Frys I'm discriminating against the Unions. The bakery was perfectly fine with the students being homosexual, what they didn't want to do was make cupcakes with rainbow frosting. NOT because the students were gay, but because they didn't agree with the purpose of said cupcakes. If the WBC had walked in wanting cupcakes with "God hates Fags" in the frosting, I'm sure the bakery would have told them no as well( or told them something far more insulting knowing Indianapolis)
    The fact that you're speculating on this makes me laugh. Why are you assuming anything about the baker? And so what if he wouldn't have made cupcakes that said "God hates Fags"? That really has no bearing on this subject.

This doesn't make any sense.
    Yes it does. If you are expecting a gay rights site to not be upset when a local business refuses a gay person service, you're out of your damn mind.

Everything starts at the local level.
    Besides the point of the article isn't because it's such a big story. If I wanted a big story I would have gotten one of the hundreds of articles about how some poor dude insulted another dude, and the other dude was a minority, so it was a hate crime, or other such nonsense.
    What was the point, to marvel at gays being mad that another gay person was refused service?

Why would I want to give you a nickname? And whoever said I was making it 4chan, I was just too lazy to type out your name for which I have not the characters for. Besides, why would you even say that, seeing as you are posting macros every chance you get.

And you know Caps, not everything is about you. The entire world is allowed to have its own opinions and beliefs; you can disagree with them all you like, it isn't going to change them.
    I never said it was about me (let alone that EVERYTHING was about me), I stated the possibility that it was in this instance. And given the timing (just days after you stop debating in the DADT thread), I would be silly to not be suspicious. By the way, it's nice to know that you are going into this debate without an open mind. You know that defeats the purpose of debating?

Oh look, there you go again. How lame of you to use the same one twice within days of each other.

To everyone who still thinks this wasn't discrimination:
    You obviously did not click on the wiki links. Opinion is just that, opinion. Discrimination is then taking that opinion and using it to justify some kind of action. In this case, refusing to make the rainbow sprinkle cupcakes. By its very DEFINITION, this is discrimination. There is no arguing that.

I also never said that it wasn't the baker's right to have such an opinion, or to even refuse the gay kids service. I only said that the gay kids and the gay rights site alike were not being unreasonable in being upset. But notice no one is asking for the baker to be tarred and feather, I only have seen calls to mail the baker tons of rainbow sprinkles. Hardly seems to me that anyone is getting their knickers in a twist.

I suppose none of you have been in the same situation as these kids, but I have. I have had a lady come up to me and my girlfriend after a movie to comment how disgusting it was to see two girls cuddling and occasionally kissing during a movie, and I've had a family outright refuse to share an inner-tube at a water park with me and my girlfriend because we are gay. I've had 3 coworkers make complaints against me because the sight of me kissing my girlfriend offends them. I see it a lot, it makes everyone uncomfortable and angry. So why not share it with people who have gone through the same way? Why are you ridiculing coping process? Shame on you.
    Last edited by Capernicus; 09-26-2010 at 02:39 AM.

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Ferrari Soccer Ball Favorite
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2012 10:37 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm going to side with both parties on this one.
    If someone's giving you crap you stand up if you're passionate enough or shut up if you're not (or are too afraid or something, nuts to be you) and stand up is exactly what the writer of the article did.
    Really it's the only way one can hope to equalise things - if you're cool with sub-standard treatment you take it, otherwise you don't.

The baker too stood up for what he believed. If he didn't want to make them rainbow cakes because he doesn't support gays, awesome. He could have BSed them with a reason like he didn't do rainbow icing at all or something, but instead decided to take a stand. I'm all for equal rights for homosexuals, but I'd lump that baker's actions in with freedom of speech. If he doesn't want to sympathise he doesn't have to. He does have to bear the consequences of his actions though, and in this case might mean losing some of his more flamboyant customers or even copping a little abuse from them be it verbal or otherwise.
    victoria aut mors

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by akuNoHikari View Post
    Thanks, grampa. Don't forget to take your pills and change your diaper before you go to sleep. And remember, do NOT swear at (or try to kill) the mail guy. For the millionth time (and I hope you remember it this time, but seems it's hopeless), he is NOT a Russian spy trying to steal "confidential data" out of our mailbox.
    Bollocks, sonny! He's an American spy trying to steal data from great Mother Russia, and not paying for it! And you think this container of Xanax is going to keep me from spreading that? Why, back in my days, all we had was PCP. And we succeeded to imagine rainbows and invisible pink unicorns when we were tripping on it in a middle of a bullet rain!
    To everyone who still thinks this wasn't discrimination:
    You obviously did not click on the wiki links. Opinion is just that, opinion. Discrimination is then taking that opinion and using it to justify some kind of ecceterae, ecceterae, ecceterae
    We can pretty much figure out what a word means and philosophize about it's use on our own or using a nice paper book; we don't need a dictatorial BSpedia to tell us what it's exact meanings are and where it's limitations are bound.

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

But....isnt that what youre doing as well?

Cheers~
    Op- Original Poster. Besides, if she wants to think everything is about her, so be it. Its her opinion and shes entitled to it. She has the right to disagree with others all she wants, anyone saying otherwise isnt going to change that.

As for the bakery-

Sure, I dont think its fair to cut out a whole group because you disagree with their life views [in this case, being homosexual], but its thats business's right to do so.

If you look hard enough, you can find discrimination just about everywhere. In this case it was a bit more obvious. Click image for larger version

Name:	04e5be01-097a-450a-b033-58bffe9ce996.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	32563

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//