AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crash Bandicoot 1

Senior Member cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2010 07:12 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Crash Bandicoot 1

I'm on a holy quest right now to experience a very healthy dose of PS1 games. I was 10 when the PlayStation came out but coming from a lower income family i didn't own one till much later and then didn't play much on it and kind of let it fall by the wayside in favor of the newer consoles. Since then I got interested in classic games but it only recently dawned on me that the PlayStation is something i sort of left in the dust and that it has so much untapped potential including some of the most memorable and talked about games of all time.

With your permission I'd love the chance to talk about these games here as i play them and here the thoughts of other PS1 fans who are both playing these for the first time or have memories, fond or not so fond, about these games.

I decided to start with Crash Bandicoot because when exploring a system I always like to find a mascot to start me off. Now the mascot era was on its way out by this point, and Sony didn't actually develop Crash, but at the time it was the closest thing we could relate to a PlayStation mascot character towards the beginning of its empire.

I wasn't expecting much. Honestly I did this out of habit, but i really wasn't expecting to like this game. But I have to say, I'm only a few levels in (upstream is on pause right now as I write this) but i have to admit I'm kind of hooked! My initial impression was that this was to simplistic and lacked variety. But then I got to experience the switching between 2-d side scrolling levels and 3-D back views, and the obstacles and enemies got more creative. This...is a really fun game so far and I am really glad i didn't lay by the wayside forever.

Thoughts, memories, complaints, questions, on Crash? I'm a newb to the PS1 but I'm sure many of my animeforums colleagues are veterans and I'm dying to hear your thoughts on these classic games.
    Life has no subtitles. Support your English voice actors.

Nanobyte's minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Luna Cake Lie Soras Keyblade
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2017 06:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1596-5790-7816-3407

Default Re: Crash Bandicoot 1

Get Crash CTR racing, it is an excellent racing game for the PSone and I personally think its better than its later sequel "Crash: Nitro Kart."

I like the Crash levels where you have to run away from something in the background cause they keep you on edge.

Senior Member cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid has a reputation beyond repute cherrypopwizkid's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ΣSD View Post
    Get Crash CTR racing, it is an excellent racing game for the PSone and I personally think its better than its later sequel "Crash: Nitro Kart."

I like the Crash levels where you have to run away from something in the background cause they keep you on edge.
    Oh yeah totally. I loved the Indiana Jones omage with teh boulder it deffinitely got my heart pumping.

My only complaint right now is i can't really figure out what hurts me and what doesn't at some points...On that note how do you beat this Yupa Yupa guy or whatever his name is? Also i still can't figure out the function of the Tiki mask.

Nanobyte's minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

If you need help anywhere in the game, just read this walkthrough. I believe the boss's name is Papu Papu. lol

As for the Mask, I don't remember to be honest. Been a long time since I played it. In fact, I got the Crash CTR game a few days ago on the PS network and I was having trouble figuring out how to save the game. *bangs head*

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yeah I meant to mention in my original post so I'm glad you brought it up, that I'm playing on the PS3 and buying games on the PSN. Its jsut simpler, frequently cheaper, and you don't have to worry about your disk getting scratched. As of right now, this does limit me from playing some great classics on this quest like Legend of dragoon (a Sony entertainment game...why the heck is it not on the PSN?!?) But i do have a beaten to death but usable PS1 if I get around to wanting a game so bad I just have to use it, but the PSN has over 100 PS1 games now and there are so many great ones there to play.

Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypopwizkid View Post
    but the PSN has over 100 PS1 games now and there are so many great ones there to play.
    I know right? Before there weren't many games that caught my eye, but then recently I signed in to see what was up and I was like ZOMG. I actually had been looking for Crash CTR since Jan but they never had it so I was very happy to see it on the store. And I agree with you about the "not being able to download most games". I don't know if you ever played it, but there was this one PSone game called "Digimon Battle Arena". And they don't have it. *sigh*

Oh and if you're looking for a great game to download, I suggest you get Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I've never seen the movie, but the game is just phenomenal. (though short)

And did I mention 4 player co-op?!!

Last edited by SigmaSD; 09-09-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Never question Sigma.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ΣSD View Post
    I know right? Before there weren't many games that caught my eye, but then recently I signed in to see what was up and I was like ZOMG. I actually had been looking for Crash CTR since Jan but they never had it so I was very happy to see it on the store. And I agree with you about the "not being able to download most games". I don't know if you ever played it, but there was this one PSone game called "Digimon Battle Arena". And they don't have it. *sigh*

Oh and if you're looking for a great game to download, I suggest you get Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I've never seen the movie, but the game is just phenomenal. (though short)

And did I mention 4 player co-op?!!

GAAAHHH! I was resolved to hating Scott Pilgrim stuff cause the movie looks like it was freaking sponsored by Hot Topic...But that game does look freaking amazing. The comic actually looked good to its jsut the movie i want nothing to do with.

I have heard very good things about Digimon Battle Arena. I think licensed games are harder for them to put on classic menus. I remember a determining factor for me getting a wii is if they put X-Men 2 : clone Wars on virtual console...I do not own a wii..

What makes exploring a classic console fun for me is a bit of time travel. I like to go back and pretend its the mid 1990's, and i just got my playstation, what am I likely to play? What were the killer hits that everyone was playing and what are the sleeper classics no one saw coming. In that respect my next two moves probably should be towards the Tomb Raider and Resident Evil series. still deciding when to go epic and tackle the monster that is Final Fantasy VII.

Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

What makes exploring a classic console fun for me is a bit of time travel. I like to go back and pretend its the mid 1990's, and i just got my playstation, what am I likely to play? What were the killer hits that everyone was playing and what are the sleeper classics no one saw coming. In that respect my next two moves probably should be towards the Tomb Raider and Resident Evil series. still deciding when to go epic and tackle the monster that is Final Fantasy VII.
    Haha. Yeah Well my family was never financially stable back then so I missed out on the great N64 games and the only PSone games I had were the ones my uncle bought and didn't like. So my bro and I stuck to the Super NES and Genesis for a long time until we finally got our GC around 2004. lol.

I'm also curious about the Final Fantasy VII. Everyone who's played it said they liked it, but I don't know if its on the PS network or not. I would like to give that a try. And I actually rented the original Resident Evil for the Wii and didn't like it. You didn't get much ammo and I had to rely on the knife which wasn't that good. So then I youtube searched the game and found that most of the game was just you dodging zombies and using your ammo only on the ones you really needed to take down. Was kind of a bummer for me cause I liked RE4 and 5.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Final fantasy VII is indeed on the PSN. Along with 8, 9, and Tacticts. I would love it if they would add Origins, Chronicles, and Anthology to that list.

Resident Evil 4 and 5 basically changed the genre. Those are not really survival horrors they are more like shooters. Resident Evil was all about survival. I only played it a little, but the ONLY PS1 game I've ever beaten is Silent Hill, and its one of my favorites of all time. I will be replaying it, but I need to explore around first.

Your story is essentially mine. I got an NES at 4, but then a Genesis late in its life and stuck to it till the Dreamcast was near dead and then got that. After that point, I got a job....and poof! There went my paychecks on games. XD Still, the PS1 really got skipped over for me and thats a shame cause it really was a game changer. Sometimes I think for worse mroe so than better...but not because of the PS1 itself. As much as I like many of the new games I frequently feel there missing something, the market seems different.
    Last edited by cherrypopwizkid; 09-10-2010 at 12:20 AM.

Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Final fantasy VII is indeed on the PSN. Along with 8, 9, and Tacticts. I would love it if they would add Origins, Chronicles, and Anthology to that list.

Resident Evil 4 and 5 basically changed the genre. Those are not really survival horrors they are more like shooters. Resident Evil was all about survival. I only played it a little, but the ONLY PS1 game I've ever beaten is Silent Hill, and its one of my favorites of all time. I will be replaying it, but I need to explore around first.

Your story is essentially mine. I got an NES at 4, but then a Genesis late in its life and stuck to it till the Dreamcast was near dead and then got that. After that point, I got a job....and poof! There went my paychecks on games. XD Still, the PS1 really got skipped over for me and thats a shame cause it really was a game changer. Sometimes I think for worse mroe so than better...but not because of the PS1 itself. As much as I like many of the new games I frequently feel there missing something, the market seems different.
    Well I would purchase FFVII but I'm reluctant to spend more cash now seeing as I'm trying to save up.

Yeah I heard good things about Silent Hill games. I've watched an entire walkthrough of the second one for the Xbox and it had a pretty phenomenal story. That and Silent Hill Homecoming. I've never actually played one of the games, but its just as enjoyable to watch.

Well I don't know about that last point; I think the PS has many great titles. I think Uncharted is exclusively for the PS, if you've ever feel like playing a shooting adventure game that one is pretty amazing. I mostly bought the PS3 for the fighter games like Tekken, Street Fighter and BlazBlue. I had bought Virtual Fighter as well but it just wasn't the best fighter game. Oh and Little Big Planet is amazing. too bad its soo short though.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@Siggy: LBP is short? Ehm, custom levels much?
    _
    At the part addressing the save part in Crash Racing 1, there should be a computer around the main course(before starting a race). Bah, I wish there was SOME way to play online, so I can wipe the floor with them starfishes.
    ___
    The only PS1 games I got on my PS3 are King of Fighters '99, FFVII, VIII and IX, but that's because I don't have them on physical anymorez.

Senior Member Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts Bleach Kon Bell Balalaika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-09-2010 06:36 PM
    Threads

Oh wow. Recently we got crash team racing on PS3. Getting 'Fake crash' is much easier there then on CNK....which sucks....an alien mask? Really?
    Also I've got Crash 1 ='D probably the hardest one, in my opinion. Especially since i've completed Crash 2 100% too a month back.
    There is no good or evil, only giving and taking
    and taking is what I do best.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

LBP IS short. And the custom levels are usually bland unless you find someone who knows they are doing but it could have used a longer story mode. Its a common complaint.

The one thing about Crash that's really bugging me is this sporadic saving system. am I missing something here?? You can only save by beating a bonus stage????

Senior Member Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale has a reputation beyond repute Finale's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts Bleach Kon Bell Balalaika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-09-2010 06:36 PM
    Threads

Yes, also if you get a gem by getting all the boxes without dying.
    Also if you load you start with 4 lives no matter what.
    There is no good or evil, only giving and taking
    and taking is what I do best.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    Yes, also if you get a gem by getting all the boxes without dying.
    Also if you load you start with 4 lives no matter what.
    Its a great game but its definitely beginning to get frustrating now. I'm stuck specifically right now on a level in the second island called "The Lost City" the save system got to ridiculous for me so I am actually using internet begotten passwords but still completing every level without skipping ahead. Still a wonderfully designed game... Just a bit frustrating at the moment.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ehm, a lot of LBP's levels are well made...not all of them, but a good portion...

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Took the advice and downloaded CTR. Very fun!

I didn't realize this but this is actually my second PS3 and my account had some PS1 downloads I didn't realize I could recover, so I redownloaded them. Now I think I have a pretty decent representation of the genre's that were popular on the PS1 with perhaps the exception of a sports title.

Platfromer: Crash Bandicoot
    Adventure: Tomb Raider
    Action/sidescroller: Castlevania Chronicles and Symphony of the Night
    RPG: Grandia
    Racing: CTR
    Fighting: Street Fighter Alpha
    Survival Horror: Silent Hill

I know I have a ninth title but I can't recall what it is....

Oh well, in anycase this will keep me busy for a while. There are a ton more I want to download but must control that impulsive spending habit and beat some of these games first. XD

I was thinking of a few I wish they would add.

Legend of Dragoon
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Megaman Legends
    Final Fantasy Origins, Chronicles, Anthology

And correct me if I am wrong but aren't there a few decent FPS on the PS1? Duke Nukem, Doom, Quake?

Edit: omg I don't deserve life. The 9th title I have is Metal Gear Solid. How the heck could I forget that??
    Last edited by cherrypopwizkid; 09-11-2010 at 07:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information