AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scariest moments in video games :S

Junior Member 宅女-lover is on a distinguished road 宅女-lover's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-23-2016 11:05 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Cool Scariest moments in video games :S

Ok, I don't know if I would really say it's been the scariest, perhaps not, and perhaps compared to stuff like "Amnesia: The dark descent" this might seem a rather lame choice, but the fact of the matter is that it's still one of the scariest moments I remember, and I'm talking about the last two missions in "Jedi Knight Dark Forces II: Mysteries of the Sith"; you know, where Mara Jade has to enter this Sith Temple (and eventually, its very catacombs) in the planet called Dromund Kaas to find Kyle Katarn.

I know it's now quite an old game, but still those two last missions seem to me even today to preserve a lot of that frightening atmosphere that freaked the wits out of me back then, when I was innocent and carefree...well, a tad more than I am nowadays, anyway.

The first one, where you entered the Sith temple, was already bad enough, but the last one, where you had to follow Kyle to the catacombs of the damn thing, was just scary as hell.

With all those lightsaber-bearing Sith statues that sprang to life whenever you passed them; those damn lethal Vornskrs (you know, those large wolf-like creatures with horns and spikes all over them and which would jump at you from many feet away and would kill you after beating your sorry a$$ only one or two times!; those zombie-like Sith lords that would attack you with some truly badass Force Lightning, among other stuff, they were also some of the toughest missions in the game.

And the ambience was also very frightening, especially in the catacombs with all those eerie screams and air currents all over the place... :S And the lighting which, while not like that you usually encounter in say, "Doom 3", still made you wish you had brought at least some freaking flashlights with you!

But there was one more factor that made it even scarier for me, I think: a bug with the game music! For some reason that beats me to this day, it just wouldn't play. And while in most missions, it wasn't terribly bad, in those last two (or three, perhaps) it made things a lot more frightening and oppressive than they were with at least the game music playing in the background; sure, the music wasn't exactly cheerful as some of Haydn's piano sonatas, or Beethoven's "Rage over a lost penny" rondo , but it was something already. Without it, well... :S

What about you guys? What are some of the scariest moments you've had?
    Last edited by 宅女-lover; 10-07-2016 at 11:13 PM.

Moderator Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Be Mine Alfa Romeo Spider JTS Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-12-2017 03:31 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Re: Scariest moments in video games :S

I've had 2, both from the Dead Space series.

The first is, there's a room in Chapter 3 I think it is when you're trying to get the engineering deck back online, that just makes this horrible hissing and banging noise. There's no enemies that spawn in the room, but it just makes this horrible noise and I just had this urge to never be in that room for too long despite there being no danger.

In Dead Space 3, you end up having to repair an escape ship, but its stuck in the hanger bay so you end up having to blow out the doors. But earlier, you had to refuel the ship and you screw up, so the entire room starts filling with loose fuel which catches fire all over the room. You also become subjected to attack by a swarm of unkillable enemies. So to recap, the room is on fire, its going to explode, you're under attack by invincible enemies. So you're trying to leave and its hard not to get burned to death, or slashed to death, while also trying to beat the clock. Just nerve wracking.

Junior Member 宅女-lover is on a distinguished road 宅女-lover's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-23-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads

Ah, Dead Space, that's a good choice, to be sure! I haven't got to play the third one, but I do remember that room from Chapter 3 you mention. Man, that was definitely enough for a good fright!! I guess you must also be a very 'aural person'. I don't know if that's the right term in English ^^, but you know, someone with particular sensitivity to sounds.

That's certainly my case, which is why I was also freaked out whenever I entered that room, and also in that Mysteries of the Sith catacombs level. They were, in fact, perfectly harmless screams and air drafts, but they were eerie as hell, and it was really unnerving to have to listen to them through the entire thing, even if it was with plenty of moments of silence (rather brief, though) in between.
    Last edited by 宅女-lover; 10-07-2016 at 11:53 PM.

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

So I don't play scary/violent games (at least not serious violence/scary... the original Ratchet and Clank is more my speed... anyway...)

I'm weird and it's probably just me but....

No matter what I'm playing, old school 2D Mario, or 3D Ratchet... If I fall a high distance, weither to my death or just from a high area to a low one... My stomach falls like I am the one falling, and it scares me. :o

Viva la Touhou !!!!! CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2022 10:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: SabotageDaemon

For me, its still the candle puzzle in Resident Evil 2. The Tyrant busting through the wall scared the ever loving hell out of me.

...Although my friend watching me play got a real good laugh out of it.
    Last edited by CapnJack; 02-24-2021 at 11:14 PM.

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

Alien Isolation...never play in VR...ever...
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

7. Likes CapnJack liked this post
    Junior Member inupf is on a distinguished road inupf's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2021 11:53 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I remember when RE (1) and Silent Hill scared the grozit out of me. And then Alone in the Dark.
    The beggining of Silent Hill was startling as hell... if you were a kid back then.

I also remember the first time I've played FEAR (pc). That part where you're climbing a ladder and Alma frelling appears at the ladder when your character turns back to start descending it.

Viva la Touhou !!!!! CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2022 10:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: SabotageDaemon

Quote Originally Posted by ParaParaJMo View Post
    Alien Isolation...never play in VR...ever...

Especially if you know all the films by heart. lol

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

The "Shivers" Series had some good stuff

Last edited by Clayton_n; 05-14-2021 at 04:22 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Member Audreeana is on a distinguished road Audreeana's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-25-2022 09:10 PM
    Threads

When I have to defeat 12 bosses of Ny'alotha, that's really the scariest moments in WoW Classic...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information