AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grandmother facing battery charges after slapping granddaughter for mouthing off

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Grandmother facing battery charges after slapping granddaughter for mouthing off

Article here

I say go Granny.

Kids these days are way too privileged. And, if I were to have done the same to my parents/grandparents when I was growing up, I would have gotten a lot worse than a slap.

What a brat. At least the charges were dropped.
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 07-29-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Sims Sadist Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Wolf Kunai Batmobile 1989
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-03-2019 12:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Grandmother facing battery charges after slapping granddaughter for mouthing off

An immature brat at that.
    "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same, the gods laugh and celebrate the differences."

Actually bigger than you. miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Violin Cds
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2013 07:01 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: miniPhil

Default Re: Grandmother facing battery charges after slapping granddaughter for mouthing off

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Moonlight View Post
    Kids these days are...
    She was 18. Anyway I don't agree with the slapping. Assault is assault even if verbal abuse was involved.
    This is a Sig. It's horribly out of date.

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miniPhil View Post
    She was 18. Anyway I don't agree with the slapping. Assault is assault even if verbal abuse was involved.
    Well, whatever she was, she is still too privileged, and used to that her advantage just because she was pissed.

Also, I saw the news report on TV. The grandmother had never been to jail before, wasn't abusive, and also had to share a cell with a rapist and crack addict.

Slapping wasn't perhaps the best reaction, but really? sending your grandmother to the slammer because you're a brat? sorry, no.
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 07-29-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I would like to counter the current sentiment in this thread because I believe that she was right to face charges. (sorry moony, I disagree)

The evidence confirms my position:

The debate over spanking goes back many years, but the essential question often evades discussion: Does spanking actually work? In the short term, yes. You can correct immediate misbehavior with a slap or two on the rear end or hand. But what about the long-term impact? Can spanking lead to permanent, hidden scars on children years later?
    On Sept. 25, a sociologist from the University of New Hampshire, Murray Straus, presented a paper at the International Conference on Violence, Abuse and Trauma in San Diego suggesting that corporal punishment does leave a long-lasting mark — in the form of lower IQ. Straus, who is 83 and has been studying corporal punishment since 1969, found that kids who were physically punished had up to a five-point lower IQ score than kids who weren't — the more children were spanked, the lower their IQs — and that the effect could be seen not only in individual children but across entire nations as well. Among 32 countries Straus studied, in those where spanking was accepted, the average IQ of the survey population was lower than in nations where spanking was rare, the researcher says.
    Full Article:
    http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...926222,00.html

Children should never be harmed in any way, including corporal punishment.
    Last edited by Skylar1; 07-29-2010 at 07:02 PM.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Actually bigger than you. miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Slapping wasn't perhaps the best reaction, but really? sending your grandmother to the slammer because you're a brat? sorry, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    Despite Felicia Collier's attempts to convince police not to arrest her grandmother, the officers took the woman into custody.
    It was an argument that got out of hand. Tbh its more a criticism of the justice system that anything else. I think she was wrong to slap her granddaughter first but the worst she should have gotten was some community service.

Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    I would like to counter the current sentiment in this thread because I believe that she was right to face charges. (sorry moony, I disagree)
    She was 18. Spanking applies to children.

She did it because she could, not because she had a good reason to. Also, -instead- of calling the cops on your elderly grandmother, you could, you know, work it out some other way. And instead of the grandmother slapping her granddaughter, she could have well, not. But calling the cops was just going too far, and had consequences that the teen didn't care to think of before she did it.

The slapping was a reaction to anger, and wasn't the best choice. Sending your grandmother to prison just because she pissed you off and giving her jail time and I assume some sort of abuse record, was an even worse choice.

She's also taking advantage of abuse laws put in place to protect kids/teens from actual abuse, not stupid, off-the-wall arguments.

But again, kids/teens can also make up stories whenever they are pissed and get their parents sent to jail for what seems to be a likely story. I've seen it before.
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 07-29-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Senior Member John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Mars Crystal Henshin Pen Rainbow Ribbon Sagittarius
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2014 12:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Pssh, the kids where I live AIN'T so priveleged. If they disrespect their parents, its a WRAP cuz someone's getting slapped!

I would've gone upside her head too. I hate bratty kids.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by .Lali View Post
    Pssh, the kids where I live AIN'T so priveleged. If they disrespect their parents, its a WRAP cuz someone's getting slapped!

I would've gone upside her head too. I hate bratty kids.
    Don't get me wrong, I hate kids just as much as you do.

But if slapping children = lowering their IQ, clearly there is a big problem.

@Miss Moonlight: My post wasn't so much directed at the incident in question, but more so this:

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Moonlight
    Kids these days are way too privileged. And, if I were to have done the same to my parents/grandparents when I was growing up, I would have gotten a lot worse than a slap.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

She was 18. Spanking applies to children.

She did it because she could, not because she had a good reason to. Also, -instead- of calling the cops on your elderly grandmother, you could, you know, work it out some other way. And instead of the grandmother slapping her granddaughter, she could have well, not. But calling the cops was just going too far, and had consequences that the teen didn't care to think of before she did it.

The slapping was a reaction to anger, and wasn't the best choice. Sending your grandmother to prison just because she pissed you off and giving her jail time and I assume some sort of abuse record, was an even worse choice.

She's also taking advantage of abuse laws put in place to protect kids/teens from actual abuse, not stupid, off-the-wall arguments.

But again, kids/teens can also make up stories whenever they are pissed and get their parents sent to jail for what seems to be a likely story. I've seen it before.
    From what I gathered from the article, the teen called the police during the heat of the moment. Getting slapped by anybody is essentially assault and does warrant an arrest, but the teen was probably calling the police to at least help remedy the situation (either arrest or something); she probably wasn't even thinking about it (just like how her grandmother wasn't thinking when she slapped her). Once the police showed up, however, the girl realized what was happening and asked the police not to arrest to her grandmother; she didn't expect them to arrest her grandmother. However, the police have a mandatory arrest police policy when it comes to domestic dispute calls when domestic battery has occurred (which it did) so the grandmother, who slapped the girl first, went to jail anyway, despite the girl asking the police not to.

Now, did the grandmother deserve to go to jail? Yes. If the situation was reversed and the girl slapped her grandmother for insulting her, then we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. I get that some "kids" (this is no kid, by the way) have no respect for their elders, but slapping them in the face is not the way to get the point across (not without your kids hating you forever for it). Sure, this girl may have "mouthed off" to her grandmother, dropping F-bombs left and right, but the grandmother shouldn't have slapped her. I mean, that woman is over FOUR TIMES that girls age and "mouthing off" really shouldn't get to her that badly, to the point where she is slapping her own granddaughter.
    Last edited by wolfgirl90; 07-29-2010 at 08:32 PM.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Senior Member The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-23-2011 08:57 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: goku100107

Never argue with your parents;you'll always lose,no matter how right you are(Not in this case anyway).

Why didn't she just do what she was told?Just be quiet and do it.

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    Threads

Every Weekday at 3 PM. Only in America....
    ...The Beautiful.
    Last edited by DOOM!; 07-30-2010 at 03:19 AM.

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

Nanobyte's minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Luna Cake Lie Soras Keyblade
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2017 06:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1596-5790-7816-3407

I used to go to school in Mexico when I was little. I used to misbehave so much that my grandma brought a stick and gave the teacher permission to hit me with it. I gotta say, not the best feeling in the world, especially when you have to hold out your hand while you get slapped in the fingers (yeah I did cry; Sigma has shed tears before... manly tears ).

I just have to say this girl is lucky she lives in America.

Senior Member Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-08-2010 02:50 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post

The evidence confirms my position:

Full Article:
    http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...926222,00.html

Children should never be harmed in any way, including corporal punishment.
    I believe you've heard this ol' song before, but it seems it cannot be repeated too often: Correlation does not imply causation.
    The article itself states that it's very likely that children with lower IQs misbehave more, and that parents with lower IQs are more prone to resorting to physical punishment.

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Ferrari Soccer Ball Favorite
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2012 10:37 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The lesson of this story is that if you want to hit your granddaughter, make sure you disconnect your phones first.
    In all seriousness, most of the kids I know who were properly punished turned out more humble than most I know whose parents didn't really do anything and tried to justify their lack of disciplining with crap on how proper discipline makes kids go crazy later or something. My job also has me noticing a rise in incidents involving younger children to match these alternative methods of parenting. When a kid doesn't respect authority growing up they very well mightn't when grown up.
    victoria aut mors

Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Furore View Post
    In all seriousness, most of the kids I know who were properly punished turned out more humble than most I know whose parents didn't really do anything and tried to justify their lack of disciplining with crap on how proper discipline makes kids go crazy later or something. My job also has me noticing a rise in incidents involving younger children to match these alternative methods of parenting. When a kid doesn't respect authority growing up they very well mightn't when grown up.
    I believe @Alcmaeonid: said it best 'Correlation does not imply causation'.
    I strongly disagree with hitting a child for disciplinary reasons(or any reason for that matter). Its a disgusting double standard in todays world. If your boss came along and gave you a spanking would you say 'Oh this is for my lack of respect for authority and I deserve this' or would you sue him to kingdom come for assault and sexual harassment?
    On top of that why is it that a parent, someone who controls every aspect of a childs life, is incapable of thinking of a better punishment other than to exert their physical dominance on someone who has to struggle to see over a table.
    Last edited by miniPhil; 07-30-2010 at 06:22 AM.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Sweden did a way with it a good 40 years ago. And judging from how few issues that has caused, it can only be concluded that it's fully possible to raise a child without resorting to violence, and people who are unable to do so have questionable suitability as parents.

It's fairly widely accepted in behavioral psychology, by the way, that punishment is not an efficient way of altering behavior. All it does is make the subject behave the way you like when they think you can see them, and then they revert back to their original undesired behavior when you're out of sight. Rewarding desired behavior is always going to be more efficient.
    Last edited by Eris; 07-30-2010 at 06:31 AM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If your boss came along and gave you a spanking would you say 'Oh this is for my lack of respect for authority and I deserve this' or would you sue him to kingdom come for assault and sexual harassment?
    On top of that why is it that a parent, someone who controls every aspect of a childs life, is incapable of thinking of a better punishment other than to exert their physical dominance on someone who has to struggle to see over a table.
    My boss isn't the authorities, nor is he trying to raise me to become a well adjusted young man. Is yours?
    It isn't about exerting physical dominance even if it does happen. It's about correcting troublesome behaviours.
    That is the same reason the authorities and peacekeepers have the right to use the means they do, sometimes it works a lot better than trying to talk someone out of doing the wrong thing or sticking them in the naughty chair or whatever the alternative methods of discipline are.

@ Eris; Sweden doesn't have problems with juvenile delinquency?
    A quick google can show the place does have it's problems, even warranting a mention on a wikipedia page on crime in Sweden. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Sweden
    victoria aut mors

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@ Eris; Sweden doesn't have problems with juvenile delinquency?
    A quick google can show the place does have it's problems, even warranting a mention on a wikipedia page on crime in Sweden. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Sweden
    That trend started in the late '90s and is largely the consequence of poorly managed immigration leading to segregation and disillusionment in the affected areas. Corporal punishment was abolished in 1966, so any problems related to that would have surfaced much earlier than what this article refers to.

Furthermore, France has the exact same problem to an even greater extent (with largely the same cause as well), and they -do- have corporal punishment.
    Last edited by Eris; 07-30-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

My boss isn't the authorities, nor is he trying to raise me to become a well adjusted young man. Is yours?
    It isn't about exerting physical dominance even if it does happen. It's about correcting troublesome behaviours.
    That is the same reason the authorities and peacekeepers have the right to use the means they do, sometimes it works a lot better than trying to talk someone out of doing the wrong thing or sticking them in the naughty chair or whatever the alternative methods of discipline are
    If you want to compare it with the authorities rather then your boss then thats fine, my point still stands. If an officer of the law gave you a spanking would you say 'Oh this is for my lack of respect for authority and I deserve this' or would you sue him to kingdom come for assault and sexual harassment?
    The authorities only have the right to exert force in certain situations. In self defence, and when trying to aprehend an individual. If someone is already in their custody(like a child would be in a parents house) they don't have the right to use force regardless of how little there is.
    And how exactly does it 'sometimes works a lot better'? Do you have any evidence to support this?

Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If you want to compare it with the authorities rather then your boss then thats fine, my point still stands. If an officer of the law gave you a spanking would you say 'Oh this is for my lack of respect for authority and I deserve this' or would you sue him to kingdom come for assault and sexual harassment?
    The authorities only have the right to exert force in certain situations. In self defence, and when trying to aprehend an individual. If someone is already in their custody(like a child would be in a parents house) they don't have the right to use force regardless of how little there is.
    And how exactly does it 'sometimes works a lot better'? Do you have any evidence to support this?
    If an officer of the law (or anyone) did to a child what they can do to crims I'd really be crying foul. It's all about dishing out a necessary amount of force rather than the same amount to grown adults as to children. To answer your question properly, it depends on gender. If female I'd likely make suggestive remarks back, if male I'd apologize to the guy for being straight and therefore unable to respond to his desires.
    Resisting arrest happens all the time btw and that isn't too unlike children repeatedly pushing the boundaries when also 'in custody'.
    As for my evidence, look around for any violent criminal and try to talk him out of his behavior or use a strategy like 'the naughty corner'. I'd appreciate it if you could film it for my personal amusement, but if not, that's fine. My point is that if you don't firmly establish a boundary, there won't be one. I have to do this with vandal kids on my sites or a dozen windows are smashed the moment I turn my back.

Of course, if you're not exposed to delinquents regularly, you mightn't be aware of their lack of respect for people, property and often most of all, authority figures. I deal with them almost every night.
    victoria aut mors

SOS Brigade Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita has a reputation beyond repute Infinita's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Cheshire Cat Be Mine 312 - Minun
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-10-2023 08:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I believe the girl could have had a better reaction to the situation and I believe she should have behaved appropriately to her age. And she has no respect at all. Aren't you suppose to respect your elders and your peers?

Every great work of art has two faces, one toward its own time and one toward the future, toward eternity.
    Daniel Barenboim

Here is my family!:
    lilminx: My awesome big sister!
    *Tsuki*: Awesome lil sister!
    Teddy2116:Cool big bro!
    Hikaru_Hitachiin: Cool older Brother!
    kirei-chan: Awesomo big sister!
    Serpentarius: Brother in law!

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As for my evidence, look around for any violent criminal and try to talk him out of his behavior or use a strategy like 'the naughty corner'. I'd appreciate it if you could film it for my personal amusement, but if not, that's fine.
    You don't talk them out of it. You give them incentive to change by rewarding desirable behavior.

Of course, if you're not exposed to delinquents regularly, you mightn't be aware of their lack of respect for people, property and often most of all, authority figures. I deal with them almost every night.
    Respect isn't something that comes with position of authority. It's earned. If I didn't feel society at large did enough to earn my respect, I'd probably be a delinquent smashing windows too.
    Last edited by Eris; 07-30-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Respect isn't something that comes with position of authority. It's earned. If I didn't feel society at large did enough to earn my respect, I'd probably be a delinquent too.
    It's probably relevant, too, to point out that one can have respect for someone while having a very negative disposition towards that same person at the same time.

The two [positive disposition+ respect] usually correlate with one another, but don't necessarily have to always go together.
    Last edited by Skylar1; 07-30-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    You don't talk them out of it. You give them incentive to change by rewarding desirable behavior.
    If it were that easy, why is crime still so rampant? Rewarding desirable behavior is part of my approach while working - I'll allow those that don't seek to vandalize things a hassle free environment to skateboard or whatever. But even there you *still* get kids where things need to get physical before they'll have any respect for you. (I'd rather not hit kids if possible, but will arrest them if committing a crime and won't hesitate to club them if they pull a knife out). I'm the type to believe what I see in practice rather than hearing about what works in theory.

Respect isn't something that comes with position of authority. It's earned. If I didn't feel society at large did enough to earn my respect, I'd probably be a delinquent smashing windows too.
    And earnt respect on my job I have - those won over I have no trouble with and even chat to some of them fairly regularly, the ones that aren't receptive to the more positive approach know to run at the sight of me. Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but either way, some people both child and otherwise don't seem to respond to anything but the physical stuff.
    victoria aut mors

Closed Thread

Thread Information