AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Thread: Grandmother facing battery charges after slapping granddaughter for mouthing off

Threaded View

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-06-2014 09:51 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Grandmother facing battery charges after slapping granddaughter for mouthing off

Quote Originally Posted by Furore View Post
    If it were that easy, why is crime still so rampant?
    It isn't. At least not where the theory is consistently applied on a system-wide level. I'll turn the question around, why is crime so rampant in places with punishment-oriented criminal systems. There shouldn't be any murders at all if you risk capital punishment, while places like Sweden where murderers serve 10-15 years should be a war zone. Why is it the other way around, with a national homicide rate (per capita) in the US a whopping 5 times bigger than in Sweden, and overall crime rate almost 35 times bigger (again per capita)?

Rewarding desirable behavior is part of my approach while working - I'll allow those that don't seek to vandalize things a hassle free environment to skateboard or whatever.
    But does everyone in your shoes do the same? All it takes is that one corrupt cop who likes to abuse his station to beat people silly to burn the respect the honest ones strive to build to cinders.

But even there you *still* get kids where things need to get physical before they'll have any respect for you. (I'd rather not hit kids if possible, but will arrest them if committing a crime and won't hesitate to club them if they pull a knife out). I'm the type to believe what I see in practice rather than hearing about what works in theory.

And earnt respect on my job I have - those won over I have no trouble with and even chat to some of them fairly regularly, the ones that aren't receptive to the more positive approach know to run at the sight of me. Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but either way, some people both child and otherwise don't seem to respond to anything but the physical stuff.
    You don't earn respect by getting physical. You earn fear. Fear is not to be confused with respect.

--EDIT-- used odd statistics. Fix'd.
    Last edited by Eris; 07-30-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Thread Information