Baby don't hurt me(bobs head back and forth) No, seriously. Let's try answering this question. Shortly put it's the strongest form of affection between two people, but this answer alone does not satisfy me. To be more precise, why is love? What is it based on?

Right now I got 2 answers, one of them comes from my rationalistic side while the other comes from the softy in me. Somehow, both are true for me, and neither of them would be right alone.

theory 1: Love is only a product of evolution. Because of the long childhood of homo sapiens, affection between a male and a female who plan on reproducing is beneficial for survival, thus it was selected for by nature. Pleasures that come from sex and spending time with members of opposite sex are a product of hormones affecting your thinking, for the same reason as above. However, this does not explain for homo/lesbian love plus some would call it a materialistic and even an ugly explanation.

Theory 2: There is a human shaped hole in each person's heart, thus, there is some1 for everyone. Two lovers complete each other, even to a degree that being in love will change a person. A scientist would call all this a psychological need for another person's affection, a romantic would call it being destined to be together. However,
this does not explain paid love and such.

Hence, both explanations are needed. Perhaps both are right. Say, for an example:
Love evolved from simple hormone effects on brain, the same kind we see in mammals that take care of their young in bigger families IE wolves. Later on, as human brain evolved further, it's growth became dependant on these hormones in the same sense the human body has became dependant on every substance that it is exposed to during normal growth. (think of trace elements) Thus, there is a real need for love in our brain. One can see this in so-called wild childs that were grown by animals. One such specimen was found and adopted by a psychologist and the child never learned to talk, let alone basic manners. Thus it can be concluded that human contact and even love is vital for our growth.

What are your thoughts on the subject/opinions on my views?