AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are we but sheeps?

Senior Member dawnbreaks has a reputation beyond repute dawnbreaks has a reputation beyond repute dawnbreaks has a reputation beyond repute dawnbreaks has a reputation beyond repute dawnbreaks has a reputation beyond repute dawnbreaks has a reputation beyond repute dawnbreaks has a reputation beyond repute dawnbreaks has a reputation beyond repute dawnbreaks has a reputation beyond repute dawnbreaks has a reputation beyond repute dawnbreaks has a reputation beyond repute dawnbreaks's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-23-2010 12:38 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Are we but sheeps?

Since its fast becoming the time of year that we are blitzed with commericals, and I've been wondering if any of you have thought that most people are becoming more and more like sheep.

We seem to be paying more attention to material objects like the best new mp3 player or car and desire them more than anything, as I persume as a status symbol. Children are bombarded most using clever marketing techniques that force the parents to purchase the 'goodies' or be left behind the times.

We even seem to be getting more detached from our own life's, as some would rather watch how a character deals with a problem, in a soap opera, rather than face the problems in thier own lifes.

Is this Escapism or are we being de-sensitivised and detached gradually from our own exisitance, becoming more and more like each other each day?

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Ferrari Soccer Ball Favorite
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2012 10:37 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Are we but sheeps?

I agree that many in the mainstream do seem to be becoming sheep in terms of following 'consumer fads', particularly in terms of technology.

That said, some of us see through the crap the marketers put out and others have that much disposable income they buy pretty much everything anyway.
    I'm not too sold on the notion I'm a sheep though. I mean I'm a known eccentric around these parts - I dress differently to most, am a total Linux geek and am even rarer there that my job is a rougher sort.

I am guilty of joining the iPhone fad though - played with a mate's, looked at all the awesome games (and other apps) on the AppStore and figured I might use it for things other than just phone calls/texting. I'm glad I did, this thing does 1001 things and is tiny as hell.
    victoria aut mors

Senior Member Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid has a reputation beyond repute Alcmaeonid's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-08-2010 02:50 AM
    Threads

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

What happens is basically this:

--edit--

Ninja'd. But my post's got an image. So it's better.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

No, I say we become MORE attached to material possessions.

Sky's the limit. I can not wait until the day that we are able to upload our consciousness to the internet so we can live out our fantasies in any way we please.

Forget this reality, mine's so much better.
    Last edited by Skylar1; 07-23-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Anime Sekai Kenkyuuin GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Systems NES Systems NES Controller Iron Man MkII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-01-2011 10:45 AM
    Threads

Well my friend you're right.The sad truth is the media controls the world.They not only "guide" our actions in the seemingly right direction but they also instill in people values that certain individuals with power can make a buck of.So parents buying stuff is the least of our worries.And who's to blame?The people?I think not.The media is our main source of information and for the simple person there's absolutely no way to know if the information he is receiving from the media is true or not.A great example for that are the United States and how their people are just brainwashed into believing that they are going to war because they wanna keep the piece in the world.And i strongly doubt that they are even retaliating against the 19/11 "terrorist" act.We all know that ain't so.There's a documentary called Zeitgeist which explains how the US have been and still are being plunged into one war after another because otherwise they will fall apart.And the same is happening all over the world.And we can't really do anything about it.If i see on the news that a bunch of muslims killed a bunch of my countrymen i'd of course volunteer immediately.I can't know if it's an actual act of war or some other third country just makes it seem that way so we go into war and they swoop in , smack one of the sides around and get a piece of the pie.Maybe offers huge loans for restoration.I suppose all one can do is think the received information over as carefully as he can and pray to "God"(oh noes another was for us to be controlled) that he doesnt take the wrong decision

Edit:i apologize,i think i veered off the main topic a bit .
    Last edited by GrimStride™; 07-23-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Senior Member John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Mars Crystal Henshin Pen Rainbow Ribbon Sagittarius
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2014 12:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It's cuz material things are so much more fun and interesting. Imagine living in a world without things we love that keep us entertained. UH, BORING MUCH? :/

I like my internetz, mp3, and cellie TYVM. ♥

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

No, we are fools. And we are probably going to stay that way.

Actually bigger than you. miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Violin Cds
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2013 07:01 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: miniPhil

I tried watching some American tv today and you guys have a lot of ads. There was a break like every 7 minutes. Thats insane.
    I don't think were becoming more materialistic though. Its no different than the 90's or early 00's. Personally I've been avoiding goods n stuff recently. Maybe its the lack of money these days than anything else :P
    This is a Sig. It's horribly out of date.

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I stopped watching any TV bar shows like Looney Tunes and Scooby Doo a while ago.
    Everything else runs the risk of containing too much bullshit.
    As far as my interests in the media online go, entertainment is key, political/'current affairs' stories are fail.

I am however connected to internet capable devices pretty much the entire time I'm not sleeping/showering. Part of it is for work, but the other part is for ease of communication/staving off boredom.
    I do not really attach myself to them much though as I figure there's likely always a better device around the corner.

And while I have seen that xkcd comic before, I still maintain my position. I seem to be the only guy around my age locally not dressing as either an emo/scene kid or in a hoodie or emo/scene kid in a hoodie.
    One event that almost killed me (via choking on my own laughter) a while back was encountering a flock of emos blocking a store entrance, asking one to get out of the way, shoving the bastard out of the way when he kept ignoring me and then he called me, of all things, a conformist. I asked him quite calmly if he saw anyone else there wearing a Hawaiian shirt and Chino pants and pointed out everyone around him was wearing pretty much the same thing he was and acting the same. That was when it really sunk in and the near death from choking experience started.
    victoria aut mors

Senior Member aNGRY sCOT has a reputation beyond repute aNGRY sCOT has a reputation beyond repute aNGRY sCOT has a reputation beyond repute aNGRY sCOT has a reputation beyond repute aNGRY sCOT has a reputation beyond repute aNGRY sCOT has a reputation beyond repute aNGRY sCOT has a reputation beyond repute aNGRY sCOT has a reputation beyond repute aNGRY sCOT has a reputation beyond repute aNGRY sCOT has a reputation beyond repute aNGRY sCOT has a reputation beyond repute aNGRY sCOT's Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 02:40 PM
    Threads

been a nashunlist abeleeve t worl iz eesiur taE cotrowl wun abowdy hinks t sayum, kiz if fowuk aw fowt diffrunli ten i'd b abl tae wak doon t rod wioot fowuk frowin boatles a mi frae beein a nashunlist, kiz if fowk aw foft t sam ten alloorra fowk wid b happir ciz tey wid b able tae danse an sweer wi oot a buncha owd fowk tellin um the canna say f**k in publi. noo thas jest ma opinyun bit if mayur fowks wur t sam then id bi eesiyur frae uz.
    There's nane that's blest of human kind,
    But the cheerful and the gay man,
    Fal, la, la, &c.

Here's a bottle and an honest friend!
    What wad ye wish for mair, man?
    Wha kens, before his life may end,
    What his share may be o' care, man?

Then catch the moments as they fly,
    And use them as ye ought, man:
    Believe me, happiness is shy,
    And comes not aye when sought, man.

mods feel free to run my language past a translator to check for any inappropriate language.

Senior Member Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra's Avatar
    Gil
    Woot
    Gifts Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Apple Systems NES Controller
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2011 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    No, I say we become MORE attached to material possessions.

Sky's the limit. I can not wait until the day that we are able to upload our consciousness to the internet so we can live out our fantasies in any way we please.

Forget this reality, mine's so much better.
    Hrm... well, the idea of sending one's own consciousness into the net is a pretty fascinating idea. However, don't you think it might be a little too addictive in some respects? After all, hanging out with friends, hosting a career, buying groceries and other such necessities, etc; these are all things we can do now. To take it to the next level, wouldn't many people find that convenient as opposed to the world in which we live now?

Quote Originally Posted by dawnbreaks View Post
    Since its fast becoming the time of year that we are blitzed with commericals, and I've been wondering if any of you have thought that most people are becoming more and more like sheep.

We seem to be paying more attention to material objects like the best new mp3 player or car and desire them more than anything, as I persume as a status symbol. Children are bombarded most using clever marketing techniques that force the parents to purchase the 'goodies' or be left behind the times.

We even seem to be getting more detached from our own life's, as some would rather watch how a character deals with a problem, in a soap opera, rather than face the problems in thier own lifes.

Is this Escapism or are we being de-sensitivised and detached gradually from our own exisitance, becoming more and more like each other each day?
    Hrm... well, people naturally influence one another each day; even if they aren't consciously aware of it happening. And also, as you've already mentioned, things like TV commercials, advertisements, and other forms of media promotion subconsciously try to drill into a person's head to buy this, wear that, etc. Of course, a person with a strong will can be aware of this and not allow himself/herself to be influenced near as easily as some others.

Having said that; there will be people who are more easily influenced and are more likely to go with the social flow.

My thanks to Xey Oiz for the awesome new set.

"Screw being normal and be awesome instead!"

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinn
    Hrm... well, the idea of sending one's own consciousness into the net is a pretty fascinating idea. However, don't you think it might be a little too addictive in some respects? After all, hanging out with friends, hosting a career, buying groceries and other such necessities, etc; these are all things we can do now. To take it to the next level, wouldn't many people find that convenient as opposed to the world in which we live now?
    Yes you are correct, but I don't see your point here.

Calling someone on the phone is a helluva more convenient than hand-writing a letter and sending it in the mail- even though both accomplish the same exact task.

People in general, will always naturally gravitate towards innovation that make things easier for them. If, in an environment where things can be controlled in ways that are impossible in the "real" world, then would not people prefer the virtual environment as an alternative?

Edit:

The decision is ultimately each and every individual's choice as to whether or not they want to take advantage of the technology. Nobody will ever force anyone to make that choice.

Of course, the ones that don't, will continue to live in their failing bodies and will eventually all die out- leaving only the ones that did take advantage of the virtual environment. This would be a sort of "Higher-level Transitional State of Evolution" as I call it. Where we as humans (for the first time ever) transition from purely "Biological Evolution" to purely "technological evolution".

I do believe that I will live long enough see this happen.
    Last edited by Skylar1; 07-24-2010 at 06:53 PM.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm no sheep. There are things that I think look cool and want to buy them because they look cool but guess what - I don't buy them! What's the point of me getting the latest iPhone if I can't afford it? What's the point of noticing Tyga's awesome jacket in the music video for "Loyalty" when my funds don't even nearly reach enough money to purchase it? NOTHING. I'd love to be a sheep, but I can't.

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Sometimes, people are their possessions because they let their possessions define them. Some people use possessions as distractions from themselves so they don't have to acknowledge truths they would rather not acknowledge. It's kinda sad at that point.

The trick is to have no, or very little distractions from yourself. That way, you won't box yourself in from whatever you're hiding from.

Also, most people, most of society - put so much emphasis on becoming a millionaire. It's a fancy dream, but that's all it is.

The truth is, not everyone can handle that much money and the responsibility/power/status that comes with it, unless they are grounded, intelligent and stable people. Otherwise, that much money will just consume them and eat them alive.
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 07-24-2010 at 06:56 PM.

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    Threads

What the xkcd posters missed, I have pointed out here. Consider them as monologues second to the main one.

And this is how the system still manages to get us.

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

So like, we're all sheep because we buy stuff and like similar stuff? So is there anything wrong with that?

Sims Sadist Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Wolf Kunai Batmobile 1989
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-03-2019 12:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    So like, we're all sheep because we buy stuff and like similar stuff? So is there anything wrong with that?
    It is when the world becomes so commercialized we can all be led wherever the corporations want us to go...
    "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same, the gods laugh and celebrate the differences."

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Screw off! That sheer monopoly you're advocating.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dragon View Post
    It is when the world becomes so commercialized we can all be led wherever the corporations want us to go...
    How exactly would that happen, and what exactly does that mean? You're speaking too figuratively.
    Here's an example of literal speech: The government can put a person in jail for the rest of their life for disobeying laws it created.

Quote Originally Posted by McDoom, Dr.
    Screw off! That sheer monopoly you're advocating.
    Care to elaborate?

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ever since T.V. went digital I haven't seen most of today's newest fads, but I've been considering getting an iTouch just because it's so very shiny. While the media does tend to put a vast amount of pressure on people, it seems like that the real reason everybody goes in the same direction is that they like that direction. No one wants a cell phone that only makes calls, so the buy one that does every thing but feed you. It's purely evolution at work, it was easier to kill a rival tribe of monkeys with large sticks, so we all started to beat each other with sticks. Then it became easier to live by planting crops, so we all started to plant crops. Humans are by nature a conforming species, whatever makes life easier is what we'll lean towards.

Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Judge View Post
    Humans are by nature a conforming species, whatever makes life easier is what we'll lean towards.
    I agree with your post pretty much completely, but what about those groups of people that conform in ways that actually take effort to maintain?
    I find myself wondering how much time and effort some of the kids in those emo/scene fads these days spend elaborately styling their hair for example when I see a bunch of them around.
    victoria aut mors

Gil
    Drunk
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Care to elaborate?
    I came back drunk last night, so I jumped the gun too soon, but I knew where you were trying to go with that statement. "What's wrong with liking the same things"; consumers never like the same product (except for the infatuated), out of need or pressure they just pick the lesser of n evils, where I believed that in your words, the n = 1.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furore View Post
    but what about those groups of people that conform in ways that actually take effort to maintain? I find myself wondering how much time and effort some of the kids in those emo/scene fads these days spend elaborately styling their hair for example when I see a bunch of them around.
    Why did Victorian age women dress in 5 layers of clothes? They did it because those who lived better dressed in more clothes. Another point to make is that humans are natural illusionists, we build illusions of who we could be to fit the larger illusion of being accepted. In our own way, the time spent in changing our appearance makes our lives easier by giving us an illusion of unity. The monkey who travels alone, dies alone, while the tribe has a better chance of surviving~

Forever 12. Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2013 07:01 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't see how people can say that wanting a new material possession makes that person materialistic off the bat. Yes, there are shallow people who buy useless items of no value for the sake of buying such things and then never using them. Just look at the white gold, diamond-studded mp3 players and iPods. But anyone who blames the media and such for creating a breed of uneducated, dishonest children and solely the media is stupid.

I'm sure 70 years ago, people claimed anyone who owned a television self-indulgent and materialistic; now, television is a great source of information for people and we depend on it. Yes, there is a bunch of crap on cable channels like Mtv, but no one is making you watch it.

Every generation is going to call that generation, and the one after it 'sheeple' just because technology advances and life is made more convenient.
    On this day of days, most epic and prideful, you were born 15 whole American years ago!
    Through the odds and by doing the impossible, you beat out hundreds of thousands of siblings in the great sperm race for the coveted egg.
    Probably via hax.
    Regardless! You won!
    So remember, whenever someone picks on you or calls you weak or small.
    Just remind them that you beat out a few hundred thousand other wimps.

And the grand prize was not dying!

Closed Thread

Thread Information