AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 86

Thread: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

  1. #26
    Awaken Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1's Avatar
    Gil
    1,521,640.89
    Gender
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2011 10:49 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Age
    23
    Threads
    303
    Posts
    3,410
    Blog Entries
    123
    Rep Power
    5632

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    This is relevant.

    Last edited by Ericgamer1; 07-22-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: First vid was too meh..

    ^by Hakuchuumu^

    ^Xey Oiz^

    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

  2. #27
    Actually bigger than you. miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil's Avatar
    Gil
    1,814.98
    Gender
    My Mood
    sunshine
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Violin Cds
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2013 08:01 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Flying high in the sky.
    Threads
    78
    Posts
    2,428
    Blog Entries
    109
    Rep Power
    4039
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: miniPhil

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    This is relevant.
    You know I never imagined that a youtube poop would be relevant to anything. Even though it isn't the greatest poop.
    Maybe in mirror land youtube poops make sense.
    This is a Sig. It's horribly out of date.

  3. #28
    Awaken Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1's Avatar
    Gil
    1,521,640.89
    Gender
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2011 10:49 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Age
    23
    Threads
    303
    Posts
    3,410
    Blog Entries
    123
    Rep Power
    5632

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by miniPhil View Post
    You know I never imagined that a youtube poop would be relevant to anything. Even though it isn't the greatest poop.
    Maybe in mirror land youtube poops make sense.
    I have corrected the problem. My apologies.

    ^by Hakuchuumu^

    ^Xey Oiz^

    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

  4. #29
    AF's Resident Furry Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf's Avatar
    Gil
    20,259.58
    Gender
    My Mood
    Starving
    Gifts Mario Bowser Shell Mario Bob-omb Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2014 01:38 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gerudo Desert, Hyrule
    Age
    24
    Threads
    596
    Posts
    2,924
    AW Wallpapers
    19
    Rep Power
    5022
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CaptainEllipsis Steam ID: CaptainEllipsis Wii Code: 2388 1485 3012 2739

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    I think it's pretty simple, your reflection is real and YOU are the real reflection.
     
    Great job on bringing my headache back, Eris.

  5. #30
    Senior Member DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    1,354.35
    Gender
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Gifts Trollface Beer Cookie
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-27-2014 11:10 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    3541'38.05" N 5124'41.45" E
    Age
    29
    Threads
    136
    Posts
    4,100
    Rep Power
    800

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Why the mirror? You could say the same thing about any reflection, distorted, refracted, translucent or otherwise, but is it because the silver coated back of a glass reflects at a more clear, proportional level? Because it doesn't: if you put two large mirrors facing eachother and create a tiem parad0x you'll notice the images get distorted after a few reflection times. What, the silver screen reflects some radiation back too? Just makes it seem more lifelike, but not at all levels. If you mean "anything that moves must be alive" then I think we need to set some borders on what alive means.


  6. #31
    Sims Sadist Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon's Avatar
    Gil
    6,837.62
    Gender
    My Mood
    Amused
    Gifts Wolf Kunai Batmobile 1989
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2011 02:53 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Age
    47
    Threads
    10
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    806

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    All things contain some living energy.
    "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same, the gods laugh and celebrate the differences."


  7. #32
    4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    101,506.84
    Gender
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-27-2014 10:44 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tau Ceti V
    Age
    28
    Threads
    616
    Posts
    19,674
    Blog Entries
    620
    Rep Power
    14715

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dragon View Post
    All things contain some living energy.
    Please elaborate as to what this "living energy" is, and how to convert it to and from other forms of energy.

  8. #33
    Sims Sadist Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon's Avatar
    Gil
    6,837.62
    Gender
    My Mood
    Amused
    Gifts Wolf Kunai Batmobile 1989
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2011 02:53 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Age
    47
    Threads
    10
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    806

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    It is refered to ad "odic force". There is an article on the theory from wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitalism
    "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same, the gods laugh and celebrate the differences."


  9. #34
    4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    101,506.84
    Gender
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-27-2014 10:44 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tau Ceti V
    Age
    28
    Threads
    616
    Posts
    19,674
    Blog Entries
    620
    Rep Power
    14715

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Then it's not actual energy, but just the result of new age quacks that don't know what energy means thinking it sounds mysterious and profound.

  10. #35
    Sims Sadist Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon's Avatar
    Gil
    6,837.62
    Gender
    My Mood
    Amused
    Gifts Wolf Kunai Batmobile 1989
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2011 02:53 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Age
    47
    Threads
    10
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    806

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Perhaps, but most mysticism and study of metaphysics are based on such concepts. If this is truly a pholosophical question, such theories do play into it.
    "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same, the gods laugh and celebrate the differences."


  11. #36
    4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    101,506.84
    Gender
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-27-2014 10:44 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tau Ceti V
    Age
    28
    Threads
    616
    Posts
    19,674
    Blog Entries
    620
    Rep Power
    14715

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dragon View Post
    Perhaps, but most mysticism and study of metaphysics are based on such concepts. If this is truly a pholosophical question, such theories do play into it.
    Just because it's a philosophical discussion doesn't make mysticism any more valid. It's just as much gobbledygook as in any other discussion.

  12. #37
    Sims Sadist Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon's Avatar
    Gil
    6,837.62
    Gender
    My Mood
    Amused
    Gifts Wolf Kunai Batmobile 1989
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2011 02:53 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Age
    47
    Threads
    10
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    806

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Just because it's a philosophical discussion doesn't make mysticism any more valid. It's just as much gobbledygook as in any other discussion.
    Based on YOUR beliefs. But since I don't want this to become a religious debate, I humbly drop the subject. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.
    "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same, the gods laugh and celebrate the differences."


  13. #38
    4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    101,506.84
    Gender
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-27-2014 10:44 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tau Ceti V
    Age
    28
    Threads
    616
    Posts
    19,674
    Blog Entries
    620
    Rep Power
    14715

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dragon View Post
    Based on YOUR beliefs. But since I don't want this to become a religious debate, I humbly drop the subject. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.
    I only submit that you logically derive the building blocks of your arguments from mutually agreeable observable facts. As mysticism by definition is impossible to derive from observable facts (since it relies on gods and spirituality and woo woo like that), it has no place in philosophy.

  14. #39
    Sims Sadist Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon's Avatar
    Gil
    6,837.62
    Gender
    My Mood
    Amused
    Gifts Wolf Kunai Batmobile 1989
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2011 02:53 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Age
    47
    Threads
    10
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    806

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I only submit that you logically derive the building blocks of your arguments from mutually agreeable observable facts. As mysticism by definition is impossible to derive from observable facts (since it relies on gods and spirituality and woo woo like that), it has no place in philosophy.
    If you say so. This is where we have to agree to disagree.
    "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same, the gods laugh and celebrate the differences."


  15. #40
    4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    101,506.84
    Gender
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-27-2014 10:44 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tau Ceti V
    Age
    28
    Threads
    616
    Posts
    19,674
    Blog Entries
    620
    Rep Power
    14715

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    You fail to elaborate as to what part you are disagreeing with.

  16. #41
    Sims Sadist Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon's Avatar
    Gil
    6,837.62
    Gender
    My Mood
    Amused
    Gifts Wolf Kunai Batmobile 1989
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2011 02:53 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Age
    47
    Threads
    10
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    806

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    All religion is applied philosophy. Usually such philosophies derive from spiritual experiences of a leader or guru, usually in a state of altered consciousness, either resulting from meditation or by taking substances. Every philosopher in history based some of their teachings on the religion of the times. No philosophy has ever derived from objective observation, that would be science, not philosophy.
    "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same, the gods laugh and celebrate the differences."


  17. #42
    4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    101,506.84
    Gender
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-27-2014 10:44 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tau Ceti V
    Age
    28
    Threads
    616
    Posts
    19,674
    Blog Entries
    620
    Rep Power
    14715

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dragon View Post
    All religion is applied philosophy. Usually such philosophies derive from spiritual experiences of a leader or guru, usually in a state of altered consciousness, either resulting from meditation or by taking substances. Every philosopher in history based some of their teachings on the religion of the times.
    You are affirming the consequentwiki. While religion is often a sort of applied philosophy, philosophy is not the theory of religion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dragon View Post
    No philosophy has ever derived from objective observation, that would be science, not philosophy.
    Science is an offshoot of philosophy. It started out with the rather telling name natural philosophywiki. It's not the first time philosophy has become so comprehensive that part of it has broken off and gotten it's own name. Mathematics and logic were earlier offshoots, and psychology is one of the more recent ones.

    I would argue that all philosophy (and most religion) started out as attempts at drawing conclusions from objective observation. But due to the fact that logic was not yet developed (or that the philosopher had a poor grasp of logic), illogical things like religion and mysticism emerged instead.
    Last edited by Eris; 07-22-2010 at 09:00 PM.

  18. #43
    Sims Sadist Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon has a reputation beyond repute Digital Dragon's Avatar
    Gil
    6,837.62
    Gender
    My Mood
    Amused
    Gifts Wolf Kunai Batmobile 1989
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2011 02:53 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Age
    47
    Threads
    10
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    806

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I would argue that all philosophy (and most religion) started out as attempts at drawing conclusions from objective observation. But due to the fact that logic was not yet developed (or that the philosopher had a poor grasp of logic), illogical things like religion and mysticism emerged instead.
    While I would argue that their conclusions, while logical, were based on more than that which is easily observed. There is something to be said for having a spiritual experience, even if some would argue that it was the result of flawed perception. As I said, there are things we will have to agree to disagree about.
    "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same, the gods laugh and celebrate the differences."


  19. #44
    Senior Member Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra's Avatar
    Gil
    47,331.41
    Gender
    My Mood
    Woot
    Gifts Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Apple Systems NES Controller
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2011 11:57 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Soaring across the sky
    Threads
    25
    Posts
    1,564
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    1409

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Consider your mirror image. It can move. You can see it eat. It reacts to being poked with a stick. It can reproduce with other people's mirror image. If anything else did these things, we would say it was alive. Yet, we call our mirror image dead. What do you think? And no appeals to "commons sense" or other silliness.
    I hadn't realized that people gave their mirror images such thought as to deem them as either alive or dead. It's an interesting thought, but I see no reason to believe beyond a reasonable doubt that my mirror image is alive. Why should I? No matter how much time passes or whatever may occur, my mirror image will never do or say anything that I won't. And even if I reach out to try and touch it and it tries to touch me back, I'll never feel anything but the mirror.

    I see no reason to believe that such a thing is deserving of being called alive or dead. It simply is.

    My thanks to Xey Oiz for the awesome new set.

    "Screw being normal and be awesome instead!"

  20. #45
    Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    1,963.92
    Gender
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2014 09:34 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    26
    Threads
    65
    Posts
    4,755
    Rep Power
    2447
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: GameGeeks

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Consider your mirror image. It can move. You can see it eat. It reacts to being poked with a stick. It can reproduce with other people's mirror image. If anything else did these things, we would say it was alive. Yet, we call our mirror image dead. What do you think? And no appeals to "commons sense" or other silliness.
    The mirror is a mimic, it can only replicate what you do and if you poke it with a stick when looking at water then that's the water reacting and not the image. You just distort the image but wait long enough and it returns back to normal. Mimics can only copy, they don't think or feel. As such, they are neither dead nor alive. That which never existed can't be alive. Now if you argued what if you where the mirror image then when you walked away you'd simply cease to exist.

  21. #46
    Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    37,489.92
    Gender
    My Mood
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 04:53 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, United States
    Age
    24
    Threads
    47
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    2243
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dragon View Post
    It is refered to ad "odic force". There is an article on the theory from wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitalism
    While I do believe in inherent life forces and the like, I don't really how this applies to a mirror image. I mean, I may be a New Ager (and let's not discuss this further because I know how Eris and the rest of the forum think about this) but the theory about life forces would only go as far as the mirror (maybe; I honestly do not go that far), the object by itself. It wouldn't really apply to the reflection since the reflection is really a phenomenon caused by the mirror. Without the mirror, the reflection wouldn't be there.

    Which I guess could apply to the original question as whether or not my mirror image is alive. Sure, it reacts the same way I do, does the same things I do. However, once I walk away from the mirror, they stop. Which begs another interesting question: does my mirror image continue to exist when I walk away from the mirror, living her mirror life, doing her mirror job, eating her mirror hot pockets? Or is her life a fleeting existence merely validated by my need to look in the mirror or walk past a water puddle, her presence basically dust in the wind, like a fart or Bella Swan?

    Then again, my mirror image can't possibly be alive as I murdered her a long time ago. Fool tried to steal my Skittles. She got what she deserved.
    This is my war face.

    This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

  22. #47
    Awaken Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1's Avatar
    Gil
    1,521,640.89
    Gender
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2011 10:49 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Age
    23
    Threads
    303
    Posts
    3,410
    Blog Entries
    123
    Rep Power
    5632

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    @GameGeeks:, @Digital Dragon:, @wolfgirl90:, and well... pretty much anyone here in general, I believe that the time has come that I de-mystify some of the myths that I see are beginning to circulate here about what the definition of life is.

    All life is, is nothing more than a very complex form of matter. The distinction is made though by the ability for the matter to preform extremely complex actions of both physics and chemistry which is defined in the following (and must meet ALL of these prerequisites or is does not qualify as life):

    • Adaptability to environment
    • Must be made of at least 1 cell (because anything less then that wouldn't have the resources necessary to carry out the functions to preform all of the prerequisites.)
    • Metabolism (it's gotta make food into energy to sustain it's self.
    • Growth and development
    • Capable of Evolution
    • Responds to outside influence (ie, stimuli)
    • Must have the ability to Reproduce it's self
    Because Viruses do not meet these specific requirements, they themselves are not categorized as life, but instead a sub-group known as non-cellular lifewiki.

    Through using this method, one can distinctly determine whether or not something is technically "life" or not. A human would count, while a rock on the other hand would not.

    ^by Hakuchuumu^

    ^Xey Oiz^

    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

  23. #48
    Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    1,963.92
    Gender
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2014 09:34 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    26
    Threads
    65
    Posts
    4,755
    Rep Power
    2447
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: GameGeeks

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    How does that conflict with my statement that it's a mimic. While I didn't touch the genetic aspect of it I did touch on the mental aspect of it.

  24. #49
    Junior Member Adanadhel is on a distinguished road Adanadhel's Avatar
    Gil
    1,229.30
    Gender
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-25-2011 06:28 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
    Age
    27
    Threads
    7
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    I didn't know that we considered our reflections dead. I thought we considered them nonliving or something.
    Ah! That's a crucial point! We can only consider dead that which has lived before. Something that has never possessed life can't be considered dead, it's merely a non living being. But maybe the question here would be what do we see when we see our reflection? Is it something living or something that is dead?
    Instead of worrying about the world we're gonna leave to our children we should worry about the children we're gonna leave to the world.

  25. #50
    Awaken Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1's Avatar
    Gil
    1,521,640.89
    Gender
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2011 10:49 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Age
    23
    Threads
    303
    Posts
    3,410
    Blog Entries
    123
    Rep Power
    5632

    Default Re: Philosophical headache thread: Is your mirror image alive?

    Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    How does that conflict with my statement that it's a mimic. While I didn't touch the genetic aspect of it I did touch on the mental aspect of it.
    Because you said

    Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    Mimics can only copy, they don't think or feel. As such, they are neither dead nor alive. That which never existed can't be alive.
    I felt the need to point it out because of your personification. It gave the impression of some kind of "entity". nothing more than that really. If you had used "it" instead, I would have bounced over you on the definition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adanadhel View Post
    Ah! That's a crucial point! We can only consider dead that which has lived before. Something that has never possessed life can't be considered dead, it's merely a non living being. But maybe the question here would be what do we see when we see our reflection? Is it something living or something that is dead?
    Refer to my previous post.

    ^by Hakuchuumu^

    ^Xey Oiz^

    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Philosophical/post modern anime?
    By AniAsker in forum Mecha and Apocalyptic Anime & Manga
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 06:36 AM
  2. Psychological or Philosophical Anime
    By Ouroboros Anarchy in forum General Anime & Manga
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 06:17 PM
  3. Random Image Thread
    By Buruku in forum Miscellaneous Miscellany
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 12:18 AM
  4. Post Your Pics 19: "Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall..."
    By Kewii in forum Miscellaneous Miscellany
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 07:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts